This is a problem

I guess one of the questions that has to be asked is whether more practice actually gives players a better chance to make it to the NFL. Or is it just natural height, weight, speed, and strength that determines viability to make the NFL?

If it's the former, then Spring practice could really make a difference. If it is the latter, then to have more NFL players, we need more athletes choosing to play football. I know that I have seen a number of decent basketball players the last few years that looked like they could be dominant football players. Just couldn't understand why they put so much time into basketball and had no shot at playing in college but had the measurables that college football coaches salivate over. The Kelce brothers are good examples in Ohio. They could have just decided basketball was their path to success and then we would have never heard of Taylor Swift.
Travis Kelce made Swift world famous ? I know you don’t think that 😆

I think so. Let me drop this caveat before I explain my rationale: very, very few HS players play college football, and even fewer play professionally.

With that said, if you really love football, and you’re really good at it, there is a pretty good chance you can hone your skills to the point that you could earn a college scholarship. Now, all things being equal (genetically, athletically, academically) if I live in Ohio, I am missing out on 60 extra practices over the course of my high school career, even without accounting for playoff practices.

A kid from a state that allows spring ball has honed their skills 60 more times than an equivalent kid from OH. You don’t think that makes a difference?
The states that have spring ball don’t allow coaching and competition throughout the summer like Ohio has done for decades. Complaining that we don’t get 2-3 weeks of un-serious practice in May is dumb. It all equals out.

Lack of spring football and up until now lack of AAU 7 v 7 football hurts a lot. I will say you are correct about the black population. I never realized that most of the black population resides in the southeast. I figured more were in the Midwest but the “new” great migration brought black people back to the south.
This whole thread was started so the "we need spring football and 7v7" lunatics can try and force their opinions down our throats; we all knew from the first post where this was going.

The states that have spring ball don’t allow coaching and competition throughout the summer like Ohio has done for decades. Complaining that we don’t get 2-3 weeks of un-serious practice in May is dumb. It all equals out.
Yeah, and Ohio doesn’t allow “practice” from April to August, but the contenders are all doing it already.

It’s time to let all the schools do it, legally.

Sadly, it has not. We actually lost a seat in Congress due to population loss.
There are over a million more people living in the state compared to Ohio’s “glory days” of the 70’s and almost 300,000 more than 10 years ago. We’re losing seats due to other states that are closer to the southern border gaining population at a faster rate than we are. The Columbus area is one of the fastest growing areas of its size in the country

This is something I feel a lot of people don't realize. Ohio allows 10+ camp days in sports in the summer that other states do not. Add those days in as well as weightlifting days in off-season and in the summer months when teams are running drills after they lift and there isn't really much of a difference in practice time.

Yeah, and Ohio doesn’t allow “practice” from April to August, but the contenders are all doing it already.

Ohio allows 13 days of coaching from May 15th to August 1st. Before last year it was 10 for who knows how many years from June 1 to August 1st. To make this statement is just completely false.

They allow “camps” and organized 7 on 7’s from May to August. Go to any high school’s “camps” over the summer and tell me they’re not the same exact thing as non-padded practice. We have had for decades what the spring ball and 7 on 7 crowds constantly complain about.

But… Ryan Day said we need spring ball and travel 7 on 7’s because we’re falling behind!

The whole thing is stupid. Mark my words, in 10 years the only changes that we will see in Ohio because of more 7 on 7 and practice time are LESS kids playing baseball, LESS kids running track, and still LESS kids playing football because they are demanded to commit more time to it. At the same time, the percentage of Ohio kids that go on to play college ball will not change.

There are over a million more people living in the state compared to Ohio’s “glory days” of the 70’s and almost 300,000 more than 10 years ago. We’re losing seats due to other states that are closer to the southern border gaining population at a faster rate than we are. The Columbus area is one of the fastest growing areas of its size in the country
Below is the Ohio & USA populations over the last 50 years. Yea, Ohio has increase by 1.2 million since 1970 but
: Ohio’s percentage of 0-18 age is decreasing compared to the overall population
* Ohio is not nearly keeping pace with the USA’s growth
* of Ohio’s 10 largest cities in 1956, only 3 were larger in population in 2006.

The loss of jobs in the 1970’s/80’s (steel, auto industry) caused a migration of young people to leave Ohio (brain drain), it is something the state has not completely recovered from. Yes, Ohio’s weather stinks but we have water and no serious natural catastrophes (earthquakes, hurricanes, wildfires). Ohio will be ok and so will Ohio High School Football.

Ohio
* 1970 - 10.6 million
* 2000 - 11.3 million, 6.60% increase from 1970
* 2020 - 11.8 million, 4.42% increase from 2000

USA
* 1970 - 203.4 million
* 2000 - 281.4 million, 38.34% increase from 1970
* 2020 - 331.5 million, 17.80% increase from 2000

It’s simple, Ohio is an aging state with little growth excluding the Columbus metro area.

They allow “camps” and organized 7 on 7’s from May to August. Go to any high school’s “camps” over the summer and tell me they’re not the same exact thing as non-padded practice. We have had for decades what the spring ball and 7 on 7 crowds constantly complain about.
Exactly. The school team in the town that I live in (D7) has 10-13 camp days every year and the parents said the schedule has those camps day times as the exact practice length as two a days practice. So essentially they have 10-13 days of extra two a days practice before August 1st. Then they lift and condition a couple days a week all winter/spring and when June comes before the camp days their "Conditioning" consists of them doing position specific drills, pursuit drills, working on pass coverage's against air etc. These kids practice as much as about anyone in the country. Oh and they have 4 camps days where the also have a 7 on 7 in the evening.

Somehow though adding even more time is going to make the 5'9" 4.8 forty years dash kid become some 6'2" 4.2 forty behemoth that every D1 college wants.

What has made that area so lucrative?
Huge aerospace and defense town, also has a major Toyota plant. In addition, the rest of the South has gotten really expensive (Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, Nashville) so places like Greenville, Huntsville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Mobile are seeing that growth. With Florida being so expensive too, many folks are now trying to retire in the southern mountains as well (West NC, East TN, North GA & AL)

Below is the Ohio & USA populations over the last 50 years. Yea, Ohio has increase by 1.2 million since 1970 but
: Ohio’s percentage of 0-18 age is decreasing compared to the overall population
* Ohio is not nearly keeping pace with the USA’s growth
* of Ohio’s 10 largest cities in 1956, only 3 were larger in population in 2006.

The loss of jobs in the 1970’s/80’s (steel, auto industry) caused a migration of young people to leave Ohio (brain drain), it is something the state has not completely recovered from. Yes, Ohio’s weather stinks but we have water and no serious natural catastrophes (earthquakes, hurricanes, wildfires). Ohio will be ok and so will Ohio High School Football.

Ohio
* 1970 - 10.6 million
* 2000 - 11.3 million, 6.60% increase from 1970
* 2020 - 11.8 million, 4.42% increase from 2000

USA
* 1970 - 203.4 million
* 2000 - 281.4 million, 38.34% increase from 1970
* 2020 - 331.5 million, 17.80% increase from 2000

It’s simple, Ohio is an aging state with little growth excluding the Columbus metro area.
Cincy Metro is growing, just not as fast as Columbus. And most of that growth is outside of Hamilton County. If you venture into Warren or Butler Counties, there are neighborhoods being built at break-neck paces Little Miami will be the size of Mason population wise in 20 years tops. And if you cross the river into Northern KY into Boone, Kenton, and Campbell Counties, they are exploding down there with houses being built every time you turn around. Many of the schools keep adding on and new ones being built to accommodate all the new influx of people. And that number will increase dramatically once Amazon's gigantic Air Hub is fully complete probably some time in 2025. And then the Brent Spence Corridor project will probably be in pretty full swing with construction, that too will bring in massive amounts of jobs for 6-7 years.