This is a problem

Spartacus1987

Not much else to be said. Ohio continues to fall behind and southeastern states are starting to match/surpass our state which is crazy.
IMG_4784.png

Guess California is falling behind too. Ohio State should probably pass on the next CJ Stroud and Chris Olave on their recruit board and look south.

Ohio has actually increased in population over the years

ummm not by much, maybe like 120k in 10 years according to the last census, its why Ohio has been losing electoral votes since like '64, lack of increase in significant numbers or none at all

southeastern states are gaining much more significant population as we really have not.

it doesn't look much better

Last edited:
ummm not by much, maybe like 120k in 10 years according to the last census, its why Ohio has been losing electoral votes since like '64, lack of increase in significant numbers or none at all

southeastern states are gaining much more significant population as we really have not.

it doesn't look much better
No doubt the southeastern states have increased in population but you can’t blame Ohios failures on their population. More to it than just that.

I am from Ohio and work took me south. First in Texas and now Alabama. I can tell you that I meet people here and met a ton in Texas as well, that are from Ohio and Pennsylvania. It is a joke with my wife and kids that we can't go anywhere without me striking up conversation with someone who also is from or has ties to Youngstown, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, etc. My son that is a sophomore has 4 wrestling teammates who have fathers that also wrestled in Ohio or PA. My 8th grader has a bunch of football teammates with parents from Ohio/PA. One has an older brother that plays pro basketball in Europe and another that just finished playing OT at Alabama last year and signed with an NFL team. It is crazy the talent in our area with family in Ohio. It has become common place for people to move south.

This shows exactly what ever other graphic does. That FL, CA, TX, and GA produce A LOT of talent, and the next states are the same old suspects....OH, LA, AL, MD, NC, and NJ. VA is the disappointment. Not OH.

Edit: And PA with only 6 as well.

This shows exactly what ever other graphic does. That FL, CA, TX, and GA produce A LOT of talent, and the next states are the same old suspects....OH, LA, AL, MD, NC, and NJ. VA is the disappointment. Not OH.

Edit: And PA with only 6 as well.
This is mostly an Ohio board, you are correct that other states are failing but my biggest issue is with Ohio. I do think that allowing kids to travel in the offseason with AAU type 7 v 7 teams is going to help things

How do they count these per state? Is it based on graduating from school? Where they were raised? What school they last participated in?

I'm just curious how the football factories are changing this landscape of "power" states? Did IMG import a number of future draft picks and inflate Florida's numbers?

Unfortunately, using high school football graduation schools to determine the power of the state in a sport is becoming as reliable as the college they attended.

Just a quick look, IMG had three of their recruits selected in the draft. Not sure they should be in Florida's column as all three transferred during HS from other states:

JC Latham, IMG Academy (Wisconsin)
J.J. McCarthy, IMG Academy (Illinois)
Xavier Thomas, IMG Academy (South Carolina)

Honestly, I wish the OHSAA would ban OHSAA schools from playing these glorified college recruiting schools that hide out playing high school teams. Go play DII and DIII college teams who use similar ways to build their rosters. IMO, IMG is just one notch above Bishop Sycamore in HS football.

to be the 7th biggest state and be 1 of 8 schools in double digits shouldnt be awful. What took my by surprise was I believe no 1st round players from Ohio. Typically there has been at least 1 player I think who has been a 1st round player
‘24 None
‘23- Paris Johnson Pick 7
‘22- None
‘21- None
‘20- Joe Burrow Pick 1
‘19- None
‘18- Denzel Ward Pick 4, Billy Price Pick 21
That’s 4 in the past 7 drafts

Last edited:
and the problem is what?
More than all the surrounding states so....what is the issue?
The issue is that Ohio as a state is no longer considered to be one of the powers in regards to producing elite football talent and it’s getting worse, not better.

Just a quick look, IMG had three of their recruits selected in the draft. Not sure they should be in Florida's column as all three transferred during HS from other states:

Honestly, I wish the OHSAA would ban OHSAA schools from playing these glorified college recruiting schools that hide out playing high school teams. Go play DII and DIII college teams who use similar ways to build their rosters. IMO, IMG is just one notch above Bishop Sycamore in HS football.
Still can’t get over OHSAA and the state government making zero changes after the bishop sycamore scandal

I’m not sure if IMG is counted or not towards Florida (they absolutely should not be)