#PACtion™ 2024

You need to read up on this for the prerequisite level of tuffness needed at #PACtion™:

Does Northwest get to claim this tuffness as it falls within the district?

I have been there.....lol
The annual Algonquin Mill Festival sounds like a wild time and kinda hot:

1713807526461.png

I hear ya on the lack of satisfaction watching D1 football, Mike. I love bowl season mostly because it falls during the time of year that these is very little else to distract & the games can be entertaining.

Let me propose another alternative for you - NCAA D3. You've got some good teams in the greater Pittsburgh area (Grove City, Wash & Jeff, Carnegie Mellon). If you love football, there's something very refreshing about watching a D3 game in that 1) the "play Timmy" parents you hear at high school games seem to have gotten the message that Timmy stinks and 2) the quality of game/athletes is REALLY good.

Sure you could watch 100 games and not see 1 guy who'll make it to the NFL, but you'll see an awful lot of dudes who love football playing at a much higher level than you'll see on Friday night.

And then you can still get home in time to fall asleep watching whatever "big time" game is on tv. ; )

This was at its peak when Ken Nemeth was promoting his beloved College of Wooster Fighting Scots on WQKT 104.5 FM.

I hear ya on the lack of satisfaction watching D1 football, Mike. I love bowl season mostly because it falls during the time of year that these is very little else to distract & the games can be entertaining.

Let me propose another alternative for you - NCAA D3. You've got some good teams in the greater Pittsburgh area (Grove City, Wash & Jeff, Carnegie Mellon). If you love football, there's something very refreshing about watching a D3 game in that 1) the "play Timmy" parents you hear at high school games seem to have gotten the message that Timmy stinks and 2) the quality of game/athletes is REALLY good.

Sure you could watch 100 games and not see 1 guy who'll make it to the NFL, but you'll see an awful lot of dudes who love football playing at a much higher level than you'll see on Friday night.

And then you can still get home in time to fall asleep watching whatever "big time" game is on tv. ; )
The past 3 years I did start watching more D2/D3 football. Even before covid my nephew was at JCU so I have a lot of D3 experience and I do love it. I myself went to Robert Morris which was D1AA non scholarship. I should of went to a low D2 or D3 school.

I do love D2/D3 football more and more with the ridiculousness of D1.

They will make that league like the G League.....the NBA tv contract is up this year....only averaging a million viewers and the commissioner wants 24 billion dollars....the NFL is going to play 2 games on Christmas Day....finally the tv networks may not offer the big money....then what happens to the G league and the NBA
The NBA was hotter back in the '80's when Doug Moe ran the Denver Nuggets.

1713811136044.png

As much as I go after Crooked Canal Fulton, yes, Northwest can claim this tuffness but I doubt most of them even know about the greatness of the Warwick rail yard.
I grew up on Nimisila Rd. very close to Warwick. Our 'biker gang' used to role them streets. We used to dare each other to go into the topcat bar down there. Played a ton of church softball on that field- many inside the park homer runs cause the old guys couldn't run- ha! Don't forget the pennies wed put on the railroad track to see them get flattened. Good place to grow up. Rogues hollow was legendary. Our 'graveyard club' used to visit scary places. We'd have one guy get out of the car and stay alone in the cemetery or rogues hollow at midnight for about 15 minutes. Honestly it was a real hell. Great thrill seeking.

I grew up on Nimisila Rd. very close to Warwick. Our 'biker gang' used to role them streets. We used to dare each other to go into the topcat bar down there. Played a ton of church softball on that field- many inside the park homer runs cause the old guys couldn't run- ha! Don't forget the pennies wed put on the railroad track to see them get flattened. Good place to grow up. Rogues hollow was legendary. Our 'graveyard club' used to visit scary places. We'd have one guy get out of the car and stay alone in the cemetery or rogues hollow at midnight for about 15 minutes. Honestly it was a real hell. Great thrill seeking.
One time in my youth I did a long-a*s bike ride and went up the Deerfield hill. Instead of turning around and enjoying the roller coaster ride downward, I just kept going north and wound up in Clinton thinking "what have I done?"

The past 3 years I did start watching more D2/D3 football. Even before covid my nephew was at JCU so I have a lot of D3 experience and I do love it. I myself went to Robert Morris which was D1AA non scholarship. I should of went to a low D2 or D3 school.

I do love D2/D3 football more and more with the ridiculousness of D1.
I still like high school ball first...am a Buckeyes fan, but am going to see how all this plays out before I make any decision

I still like high school ball first...am a Buckeyes fan, but am going to see how all this plays out before I make any decision
I wish I could have personally fired Gene Smith. He's another media creation.

---

I was reading today instead of working and reading where Pitt is 11-20 vs Big Ten schools since 1972.

There's one reason why Pitt is not considered for the Big Ten but it's still mostly about TV money and the Big Ten already has the state of Pennsylvania wrapped up with Penn State.

---

If you don't like all the changes in college football just name Gary Woods as NCAA football commissioner.

This is the classic upbringing of a #PACtion™ kid. Great post.

#PACtion™ is a fusion of rural and suburban life in football loving (basketball & wrestling & baseball & girls sports, too) Ohio.

We love our local teams and leagues and hope at least Big Ten football and the NFL doesn't go down the drain like so much of society already has. And we come here for therapy and some fun.

---

I find it kinda amazing Tuslaw never played Manchester in football prior to the creation of #PACtion™ in the late 1980's. We explored forming a league with Manchester and some other schools in the late 70's but never got it done until 1988-89.

Tuslaw vs Manchester makes so much sense due to the similar nature of the schools and close proximity. I think getting the crap kicked out of us by the Panthers woke Tuslaw up in a good way.

Also Tuslaw vs Northwest was the big game in the old Senate League before all of the Bleu Cup stuff happened. And Tuslaw vs Dalton was a BIG deal.

I'm all for a hot game with Fairless but I have a longer time historical view of it all.

---

@cuyahogacuse and his summary of the Tuslaw vs Tusky Valley game of 2006 wants me to get the Trojans back on the Mustang schedule again.

---

If Broc Dial is smart, and I think he is, he puts a priority on beating Orrville for historical reasons and also proximity. Very few people know Tuslaw used to play home games at Orrville in the 60s before lights were installed at Tuslaw. There's a connection there albeit it's ancient history.

The average Tuslaw resident sees a win over Orrville and they'll jump on the bandwagon.

#PACtion™ needs Orrville Great Again because they bring so much tradition and fandom to the league. They need to beat Wooster!

Hopefully WQKT 104.5 will be a part of it.

---

When Northwest football got hot under Vic Whiting shortly after they played Jackson in football. #PACtion™ schools can play "up" in the right situation. We'll see how the Indians do vs Lake in the future.

---

Tuslaw's success under coaches Farrah, Kuhlins, and Held was proof that a halfway decent feeder system can work at Tuslaw along with some smart scheduling.

---

The new league CVCA is joining needs to talk with CCC. I wonder what the hold up is? The Crusaders can play and while they're "south" in the overall geography of the Crown Conference which is Greater Cleveland they can play. And they can play likely too good for a few #PACtion™ schools but they deserve a good league.

STA should join the IVC. Not a knock on them but they're pretty much identical to TCC these days.

---

CCC vs Northwest or Canton South or CVCA is instantly a good game. Also Orrville. And Tuslaw if Broc Dial gets it rolling. CCC could bring a lot to #PACtion™ but too many people have hesitation. Maybe they should get a Lucas two game a year deal scheduling arrangement with #PACtion™.

Last edited:
Utah has been lightly mentioned for the Big Ten.

The next round of action IMO is the ACC moving schools into the other three conferences.

Louisville makes sense for the Big 12 as they'd reunite with their old rival UC.

Pitt in the Big 12 gets them back together with West Virginia.

Clemson, Florida State, UNC, Duke are up for grabs between the Big 10 and SEC.

Not sure where Syracuse and BC go but there's a market for them. Likely in the Big 10.

Hopefully Cal Berkeley never ever joins the Big 10.
Here in Virginia there has been talk of UVa to the Big Ten and Virginia Tech to the SEC, if the ACC implodes. However, I think because they're both state schools the "powers that be" in Richmond would like to keep them in the same conference.

Last edited:
I find it kinda amazing Tuslaw never played Manchester in football prior to the creation of #PACtion™ in the late 1980's. We explored forming a league with Manchester and some other schools in the late 70's but never got it done until 1988-89.

Tuslaw vs Manchester makes so much sense due to the similar nature of the schools and close proximity. I think getting the crap kicked out of us by the Panthers woke Tuslaw up in a good way.
Yeah, that never made much sense to me, either. I graduated from Manchester in 1980. We wrestled against Tuslaw and even held joint practices with them. My brother played basketball and I can remember his teams playing against Tuslaw, too. During football season we'd be in the buses on our way to some AOL rival school and ride right past Tuslaw, and I would wonder why we didn't play against each other in football.

Yeah, that never made much sense to me, either. I graduated from Manchester in 1980. We wrestled against Tuslaw and even held joint practices with them. My brother played basketball and I can remember his teams playing against Tuslaw, too. During football season we'd be in the buses on our way to some AOL rival school and ride right past Tuslaw, and I would wonder why we didn't play against each other in football.
💯 %

It was baffling.

First off, please name the "extremely" good players at other schools that didn't meet CVCA's admission standards. Lol, sounds so CVCA. One of my sons, left CVCA after eighth grade, and went to Hoban due to the lack of football culture at CVCA. Started all four years, won three state titles, and graduated in 2018. He worked hard enough to be one of the best to ever play on Dowed Field. Absolutely loved the Hoban experience. Played D1 college, and now coaches on a Power 5 roster. CVCA didn't then, and still doesn't, have the resources to coach and develop that level of football talent. Stick to CVCA football, aka soccer. That's one student athlete post the 2016 class you mentioned. By the way, that 2016 was no more talented than any other class after. What are you talking about? Instead of taking shots at student athletes, you should take accountability. You and the rest of that coaching staff were directly responsible for their growth and production. The types of losses reflected the coaching staff. I will exclude Coach's Larlham and Duke. They actually knew what the hell they were doing. Yes, I was there, and know quite a bit about what was going on at CVCA then. Some terrible so-called leaders that completely yielded to the awful politics that fill that school. That leads me to my other son, who decided to stay at CVCA. Also, part of that no so good class of 2018 you referred to. That "weren't hard workers". He also, spent his entire youth playing the highest levels of football, along with two other sports. Also could have played at Hoban, and had great success, but decided to stay at CVCA for reasons outside of football. Needless to say, his sports career was ended early not by a physical injury, but mental. Between the political culture, and poor, or poorly trained coaches, his confidence was taken away. Been a very tough road since. Not blaming CVCA entirely, but a schools culture, especially one professing Christ, which includes teachers and coaches, should be helping students. Instead, the total opposite happened. So, Paction, take a look in the mirror before trashing student-athletes. You are part of the problem! CVCA will never win anything in football because the school doesn't truly invest into it in any way. The track and turf were put in for track, and most certainly soccer. Stop defending it and sure as hell don't blame the students.
This is a follow-up to my original response to this post, which was quite simple on Saturday morning. There's plenty to unpack in this post. I'll start with the interesting fact that this individual created an account after midnight on a Friday night/Saturday morning and made a ranting post at 1:22 AM, and then has not been back on the board since? Who does that? But that is besides the point.

There are enough breadcrumbs in the post that it took only about ten minutes to identify the player in question. Hoban sent 11 seniors from their 2018 team to play college football. The ABJ lists them, along with the other 22 student athletes that pursued athletic careers beyond high school here. Two of the 11 played D1; two played FCS; the other seven played D3. One of those two is currently a grad assistant at Wisconsin.

I hesitated to post a longer response until now, as I sought to uncover some facts. The issues referenced all occurred before my family first became associated with CVCA. But since Saturday morning, I have been able to confirm that this individual was enrolled at CVCA during the 2013-14 school year - his 8th grade year (source: a CVCA yearbook). He was not on the football team. In fact, he was not on any athletic team. He was not at CVCA for 7th grade. Beyond these details, very little is known. The student turned up at Hoban as a freshman and for all intents and purposes, balled out, won three titles and went D1.

I will add that from his online presence, it appears that life has turned out very well. And I hope this continues for him.

Now to the oddities. Why dredge up issues from 11 years ago? Why post on a Friday night/Saturday morning overnight? So many questions.

Here's the reality. The 2013-16 CVCA varsity football teams were amongst the worst in program history. CVCA went 5-5 in 2013 - the year this student was in 8th grade, and then went a collective 3-27 the next three seasons across two coaching staffs. Both staffs had great success at the school - in one case before that four-year period and in the other case, after that period ended. I guarantee neither staff forgot how to coach.

To @the123kidz' original point, sometimes the talent or the work ethic or leadership isn't there at the varsity level. You see this at all levels of sport.

Here's another thing I know. That 2013 7th/8th grade football team was loaded. Those are the kids that collectively brought CVCA back as juniors and seniors in 2017 and 2018. Chief among them was Tre Tucker, with whom this student would eventually be a teammate at Cincinnati. This individual would have no doubt accelerated that rebuild.

I have no idea why this young man did not participate in athletics at CVCA. What I do know is that football coaches are in the business of shaping lives, maximizing talent and trying to win games.

There are strong accusations in the original post. Knowing the character of nearly all the people involved at the school, there simply has to be more to the story. But does it really matter? Seems it worked out well for all concerned.

Eleven years is a long time to simmer. As I said in my original post, I am hopeful that success continues to follow the now young man. And I hope that the poster can move on.

Last edited:
💯 %

It was baffling.
In 1980 Tuslaw would have had 4 non-conference games and 6 Senate League games...how many league games would have Manchester had? Also did Tuslaw play any non-league games that were considered must schedule games every year...and was Tuslaw larger then Manchester then?

In 1980 Tuslaw would have had 4 non-conference games and 6 Senate League games...how many league games would have Manchester had? Also did Tuslaw play any non-league games that were considered must schedule games every year...and was Tuslaw larger then Manchester then?
Tuslaw's 1980 schedule is attached here. They had their aforementioned 6 Senate opponents (one of which was Carrollton in week ONE? I though Wooster and New Philadelphia in the Fed was the only league game that ever played in week 1, Covid excepted), and they had Fairless, Dalton, TV, and East Canton. The first two, they've played every year since 1972 (and probably beyond, and I know Dalton dropped off starting this coming year); TV was an almost every year game, league or not; and East Canton had JUST left the Senate to go independent and Tuslaw kept them on the schedule. In 1980, the first year after it went from 3 to 5 divisions, both Tuslaw and Manchester were D3.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 10.37.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 10.37.38 PM.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 32
There's plenty to unpack in this post. I'll start with the interesting fact that this individual created an account after midnight on a Friday night/Saturday morning and made a ranting post at 1:22 AM, and then has not been back on the board since? Who does that? But that is besides the point.
See @bob99 , other people post at wicked crazy hours of the night. Other...unhinged...unstable people...

Time for you to start the #PACtion twitter account. This thread needs a public voice. Or maybe best that this gold is for this website only.
Rip - at first glance, that is a TREMENDOUS idea. But you might be right. The most precious stones are the ones buried deep.

That said, there has to be an alternate timeline out there where @Rich Kotite is fulfilling 3 Year Letterman's roll on twitter going on about Deerfield hill & Justus Junta