NFL Wants to charge double

The reason for the shorting of a NFL game (which the NFL has been trying for 5+ years to do) is to get it as close to a 3 hour tv show as possible. Currently, an average NFL game is 3 hr, 12 minutes long. Two 3:15 minutes games is doable - that is 6:30 minutes of programming. Interestingly, the amount of actual gameplay/action is approximately 15 minutes.

The NFL actually reduced tv advertising minutes in 2017 and changed how/when they break for commercials to help with the flow of the game.

You are probably correct, the next step in viewing NFL games and sports in general will be via streaming that one will have to pay for. Just yesterday I saw the article below where ESPN, Fox and Warner Brothers/Disney will launch a streaming service in the fall of 2024. This could change/crush cable (Spectrum, Dish, WOW, etc).

Life is about change & adaptation. One can either adapt or get left behind - it’s a choice.

How will the players careers be impacted by longer seasons?

How will the players careers be impacted by longer seasons?

Considering the average NFL career is 3.3 years, I believe it impacts the majority of players some but the increase in $$$ is worth it to most because they most likely will not have the opportunity to make this kind of $$$ again in their lifetime.

Does the extra games impact the quality of football towards the end of the season and into the playoffs, absolutely. But the quality has not negatively affected ratings/viewership.

The motto ‘strike while the iron is hot’ I believes applies. The NFL salaries increased with the increased game and will do so again once the NFL goes to a 18 games season w/ 2 preseason games. The minimum salary for a player in the NFL is:
* $750,000 for rookies
* $870,000 for players with one year of experience
* $940,000 for players with two years of experience.
* $1.08 mil for players with three years of experience

So the average NFL player is done with football by 25 and made let’s just say at least $3 mil if they only made the minimum salary each year. Take out taxes of 33% and agent fees of 3% - a guy could have $1 mil to perhaps $1.5 mil if they saved their $$$ and didn’t purchase the sports car, jewelry, have child support, etc.

Last edited:
Considering the average NFL career is 3.3 years, I believe it impacts the majority of players some but the increase in $$$ is worth it to most because they most likely will not have the opportunity to make this kind of $$$ again in their lifetime.

Does the extra games impact the quality of football towards the end of the season and into the playoffs, absolutely. But the quality has not negatively affected ratings/viewership.

The motto ‘strike while the iron is hot’ I believes applies. The NFL salaries increased with the increased game and will do so again once the NFL goes to a 18 games season w/ 2 preseason games. The minimum salary for a player in the NFL is:
* $750,000 for rookies

So the average NFL player is done with football by 25 and made let’s just say at least $3 mil if they only made the minimum salary each year. Take out taxes of 33% and agent fees of 3% - a guy could have $1 mil to perhaps $1.5 mil if they saved their $$$ and didn’t purchase the sports car, jewelry, have child support, etc.
You forgot the college degree. You also didn't factor in future health issues. What happens after football? It's fools gold for most players.

You forgot the college degree. You also didn't factor in future health issues. What happens after football? It's fools gold for most players.

Look at IEnjoyWrestling showing his liberal side, supporting the little guy. You forgot something as well, approximately 80% of NFL players are minorities so you have that as well. Approximately 40% of NFL players have degrees. As for future health concerns, I assume you are for Universal Health Care so at least they will be covered once that passes (with your help & support).

IEnjoyWrestling - Using you 30+ years of professional business expertise, just how much does a players risk go up by playing one more game at their ages 23-25?

Last edited:

* $750,000 for rookies

So let's backup to their free college. Maybe someday we actually get back to student-athletes and preparing for life after football?

Look at IEnjoyWrestling showing his liberal side, sporting about the little guy. You forgot something as well, approximately 80% of NFL players are minorities so you have that as well. Approximately 40% of NFL players have degrees. As for future health concerns, I assume you are for a universal Health Care so at least they will be covered.

IEnjoyWrestling - Using you 30+ years of professional business expertise, just how much does a players risk go up by playing one more game at their ages 23-25?
You voting Trump?

So let's backup to their free college. Maybe someday we actually get back to student-athletes and preparing for life after football?

That’s a college issue, not the NFL. College football & basketball D1 players are heading down the path of becoming university employees:

The days of student-athletes - that was just a term used by the universities to not pay the athletes. Those days are gone.

Wrong question for this thread. This thread, which you started February 22nd, 2021 is titled “NFL wants to charge double” regarding their national tv contracts. Please quit trying to move the goal post and stay on topic.
Just what I figured. QUOTE "Look at IEnjoyWrestling showing his liberal side" Answer the question or does the Rino have your tongue?

Just what I figured. QUOTE "Look at IEnjoyWrestling showing his liberal side" Answer the question or does the Rino have your tongue?

Your “fuguring” on Feb 22nd, 2021 made you create this thread “NFL wants to charge double”.

You were uninformed then and over the course of 3 years of posting you have proven your lack of intelligence, knowledge and ability to learn & understand the topic.

You might want to quit “figuring”, it has historically proven you to be wrong.

Again, get back on topic and quit moving the goal post.

Your “fuguring” on Feb 22nd, 2021 made you create this thread “NFL wants to charge double”.

You were uninformed then and over the course of 3 years of posting you have proven your lack of intelligence, knowledge and ability to learn & understand the topic.

You might want to quit “figuring”, it has historically proven you to be wrong.

Again, get back on topic and quit moving the goal post.
You are small. Remember? I stunted you and looks like you won't recover. This thread was started during the NFL and BLM movement. The NFL rapidly changed course with regard to that matter. Answer the question Rino. Who ya voting for?

You are small. Remember? I stunted you and looks like you won't recover. This thread was started during the NFL and BLM movement. The NFL rapidly changed course with regard to that matter. Answer the question Rino. Who ya voting for?

Sounds like you’re a bit emotional. Again, you started & titled the thread “NFL wants to charge double”. You never mentioned BLM in your original post and the Breitbart opinion article you attached in your original post only states “…. league saw a seven percent drop in 2020 as the league renewed its focus on social justice activism.” Again - did the “NFL charge double” and get it from their national tv partners? The answer is YES.

I think this is another example of you “figuring” again and being way off base on the subject matter - as your 3 year history of post have proven time & time again.

Sounds like you’re a bit emotional. Again, you started & titled the thread “NFL wants to charge double”. You never mentioned BLM in your original post and the Breitbart opinion article you attached in your original post only states “…. league saw a seven percent drop in 2020 as the league renewed its focus on social justice activism.” Again - did the “NFL charge double” and get it from their national tv partners? The answer is YES.

I think this is another example of you “figuring” again and being way off base on the subject matter - as your 3 year history of post have proven time & time again.
Here you are, three years later. I sure made an impression. Honestly, I intended to stunt you a bit. I didn't know exactly how deep the cut was. I'm actually grinning ear to ear.

Keep the emojos coming. You are interested imo. What an honor!
Aw it seems I struck a nerve.

Also yes, I am interested in the thread. It’s laughably bad. It’s incredibly entertaining watching you double down on your stupidity. I already said all this. Are you illiterate?

That’s a college issue, not the NFL. College football & basketball D1 players are heading down the path of becoming university employees:

The days of student-athletes - that was just a term used by the universities to not pay the athletes. Those days are gone.

Well, these colleges can't give student-athletes a free education AND pay them. I'm talking about most D1 schools. You'll likely see Dartmouth end NCAA sports, they'll have club sports and just make it like a student activity. These Dartmouth players have no idea how much damage they are going to cause.

You are the one who has 30+ years of profession business experience with professional sports leagues, you explain your ‘professional’ thought process regarding the correlation between MARA stock price over the last week and the demise of the NFL.
Check out MARA stock today. Get the point?

A record 123.4 million on average watched the Super Bowl, a 7% increase over last year’s record of 115.1 million.

A record $185.6 million was legally bet on the Super Bowl in Las Vegas per the Nevada Gaming Control Board announced. $6.8 mill was lost bettors. There were five bets of $1 million or more in Nevada: Two winning bets on the Chiefs, and three losing bets on the 49ers.

A record 123.4 million on average watched the Super Bowl, a 7% increase over last year’s record of 115.1 million.

A record $185.6 million was legally bet on the Super Bowl in Las Vegas per the Nevada Gaming Control Board announced. $6.8 mill was lost bettors. There were five bets of $1 million or more in Nevada: Two winning bets on the Chiefs, and three losing bets on the 49ers.

So Gambling is the future? You want so badly something you can't get.

Why don't you talk about the Swift impact?

How about the NFL distancing itself from BLM?

I know what I know and you know what you read.

Yes, and I know what you have posted in this thread for 3 years…….your lack of knowledge and unwillingness to learn or admit your are flat out wrong is laughable and also sad but it’s 100% a YOU problem.

Please keep posting, there’s only one person making a fool out of themselves.

LOL yes they're the facts than there is the world according to IEW. The NFL has never been more popular: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/super-bowl-2024-most-watched-103609100.html

As someone else stated in another post you trump suck ups are the most miserable lot in the world. Less your god (trumpy) is president you are just an angry and miserable lot.

Gambling is the future and the future is already here. Is gambling something that needs to be regulated and watched, absolutely. Gambling has been extremely big in Europe, especially with regards to soccer. Yes they have had some scandals but it’s still going as strong as ever.

Yes the NFL distanced itself from the kneeling but the BLM, don’t know & I don’t really care. Some players/coaches still wear shirts with various sayings. Again, doesn’t bother me in the lease if they do or don’t. 80% of NFL players so it’s makes sense that the NFL is considerate of their employees.

Despite IEnjoyWrestling unhappiness and hopeful demise of the NFL, the NFL has never been more popular.

I don't understand it. Market shares for viewing are dropping and you double the price to networks? Hmmm

In this thread “NFL wants to charge double”, a thread you started in Feb 2021…..the only thing I have agreed with you on is your first sentence “I don’t understand it.”…….this is the only thing you have written that has been correct in this thread over a 3 year period. You nailed it with a 4 word sentence. You should have dropped the mike and moved on but your ego does not let you.

The NFL salary cap for 2024 is projected to be somewhere around $242 mil per team. The NFL salary cap in 1994: $34.6 mil per team.

How do the NFL owners pay this $242+ mil of players salaries? Each owner gets approximately $245 mil each year from the recently negotiated national tv contracts.