CHL Football 23

Congrats Wyoming. Result was pretty in line with expectations. Indian Hill was pretty one sided as expected as well. Aside from the one long ball, which Alter has historically been prone to a big play or two with the way they play defense, was there any other bright spots?

Thanks to a little luck, I fully expect the Cowboys to play for a regional title again. Would not have expected that but It helps when the top 3 teams in the region all fall in the same half bracket and have to take each other out. Sucks for them but it is what it is and Wyoming is the beneficiary.

I still believe if the playoff bracket stays at 16, teams should be reseeded after round 1. Would likely be Clinton Massie vs Indian Hill & Alter vs McNick coming up which is more in line with the actual standings where these teams are in relation to each other but that's a whole other argument.
Wyoming and Shawnee should be a good game. The common opponent this year is Maderia. Shawnee beat them in week 2, 35-7 with 350 total yards and their main RB having over 200 yards rushing. I believe he has eclipsed the 2000 yard rushing mark this year with around 30 TD. Maderia had around 220 total yards and most of those in clean up action with 160 yards passing. Granted both games were early on and both Wyoming and Shawnee have improved over the weeks but the Braves team you will see this week is much better than the last time these two teams met in playoff week 2, last year.

Wyoming and Shawnee should be a good game. The common opponent this year is Maderia. Shawnee beat them in week 2, 35-7 with 350 total yards and their main RB having over 200 yards rushing. I believe he has eclipsed the 2000 yard rushing mark this year with around 30 TD. Maderia had around 220 total yards and most of those in clean up action with 160 yards passing. Granted both games were early on and both Wyoming and Shawnee have improved over the weeks but the Braves team you will see this week is much better than the last time these two teams met in playoff week 2, last year.
wyoming played madeira without joel hancock. so a healthy wyo would have played madeira about the same as shawnee. i agree, should be a good game.

Wyoming continues to find ways to win. I honestly thought this was the best opportunity Taft would have of getting a win in that matchup. Things won't get easier for the Cowboys this week as Shawnee is playing great football.

Shawnee vs Wyoming should be a good one.

The Meeks kids from Shawnee is pretty good! 1500+ yds rushing and over 20 TD

Shawnee doesnt throw it. 12 attempts is their most in a game this year.

Meeks avg's 140 a game. and he is to Shawnee what Hester was to Wyoming. 70+ % of their touches go his way.

I would say its the Defense thats got the bigger task for Wyoming this week IMO.

This will be close. but I think the wyoming season comes to an end this week. final score 30-17

Any Wyoming-Madeira score and data is always skewed and I wouldn't put much into comparing results.

As someone else said, Shawnee is very one dimensional and I think that plays into Wyoming's strength. I don't think it will be easy and I wouldn't be suprised if Wyoming lost, but I think they win a very close, low scoring game. Something like 14-9/17-10.

Any Wyoming-Madeira score and data is always skewed and I wouldn't put much into comparing results.

As someone else said, Shawnee is very one dimensional and I think that plays into Wyoming's strength. I don't think it will be easy and I wouldn't be suprised if Wyoming lost, but I think they win a very close, low scoring game. Something like 14-9/17-10.
wyoming has struggled against the pass. run D is solid. so a decent matchup here. i think joel hancock can match meeks, so it will be close.

man , not used to this thread being so far down the list! haha

WHY does the league wait so long to post the All league team?????

man , not used to this thread being so far down the list! haha

WHY does the league wait so long to post the All league team?????

Hopefully it'll come out soon. Saw a Facebook post of a Finneytown kid celebrating his all-league honor so it sounds like the news is getting out there bit by bit.

He did an excellent job considering leadership from management and undermining that goes on there. Overachieved! Good luck wherever he lands.
Regarding the suspension, he ignored a directive from the AD. In most jobs I know, ignoring a directive from your superior and knowingly and willingly doing the opposite, typically results in termination. He was just suspended and allowed to come back and keep coaching. I was also told he interviewed for multiple other jobs while he was coaching at DP. Now, is this the complete truth - Doubt it, but if you look at the big picture, Its hard to argue him staying if most of it's true. He also seemed to have an entire new coaching staff every year on the sideline. That's another red flag imo.

Overall, I think the situation is really not much different than when Tony left Indian Hill. Too many small things, that over time, became big issues.

Big question is who replaces him? DP is a situation, imo, like a mini Colerain. Similar population, SES, etc. If you get the right person, you can have a really successful program. But like Colerain, you see what happens if it's not the right person.

Last edited:
Regarding the suspension, he ignored a directive from the AD. In most jobs I know, ignoring a directive from your superior and knowingly and willingly doing the opposite, typically results in termination. He was just suspended and allowed to come back and keep coaching. I was also told he interviewed for multiple other jobs while he was coaching at DP. Now, is this the complete truth - Doubt it, but if you look at the big picture, Its hard to argue him staying if most of it's true. He also seemed to have an entire new coaching staff every year on the sideline. That's another red flag imo.

Overall, I think the situation is really not much different than when Tony left Indian Hill. Too many small things, that over time, became big issues.

Big question is who replaces him? DP is a situation, imo, like a mini Colerain. Similar population, SES, etc. If you get the right person, you can have a really successful program. But like Colerain, you see what happens if it's not the right person.
If following a directive means;
not firing or being able to reassign someone on the coaching staff, that does not come to practice or regular team/ Coaches meetings because he is tight with AD then so be it … I happen to know the facts

Last edited:
Not saying this to be disrespectful but this is the end of the road for the Cowboys. Arguable the least talented team they've had in a long long time and still in the regional finals. I don't have the time to look it up but this is 5 or 6 finals appearances the past 7 years. Despite the loss, still an incredible run. Favorable match ups or not, you still have to win and they've responded really well to the IH loss. With that said, I think Alter wins handedly. Not a running clock but I'm thinking 35-7....in that ball park.

Despite all the back and forth on IH vs WYO in this chatroom, it is WYO that remains last team standing.

No changing of the guard. Nothing has changed.

Not saying this to be disrespectful but this is the end of the road for the Cowboys. Arguable the least talented team they've had in a long long time and still in the regional finals. I don't have the time to look it up but this is 5 or 6 finals appearances the past 7 years. Despite the loss, still an incredible run. Favorable match ups or not, you still have to win and they've responded really well to the IH loss. With that said, I think Alter wins handedly. Not a running clock but I'm thinking 35-7....in that ball park.
Having watched both Alter/Massie game in person and Wyoming/Shawnee on film. The Cowboys capitalized on the Shawnee sloppy play or would have otherwise been run out of the park. I dont think I have every seen a team beaten they way they were to ultimately win the game. Great job on their part. Alter is a different beast. HUGE offensive line and several quality RBs while they sprinkle in the passing game that is the Achilles heal to Wyoming defense. Alter plays a ton of kids on both sides of the ball and always seem fresh. This game is a tough row to hoe for the Cowboys and as much as I'd like to see them win it, their season ends on Friday...

Having watched both Alter/Massie game in person and Wyoming/Shawnee on film. The Cowboys capitalized on the Shawnee sloppy play or would have otherwise been run out of the park. I dont think I have every seen a team beaten they way they were to ultimately win the game. Great job on their part. Alter is a different beast. HUGE offensive line and several quality RBs while they sprinkle in the passing game that is the Achilles heal to Wyoming defense. Alter plays a ton of kids on both sides of the ball and always seem fresh. This game is a tough row to hoe for the Cowboys and as much as I'd like to see them win it, their season ends on Friday...
100%

Marty, Prater, Hester....What are names no longer on the Wyoming roster for $200 Alex. No team lives at the level Wyoming has been for very long and an extreme few have been there as often as Wyoming has. The only other ones that come to mind are a couple MAC teams and Kirtland from up in the Cleveland area. Been a helluva run but it's 100% over and I wish I could say it would be a close, well played game, but.....

Well looks like the "rumors" I heard were true sort of

Peter Breidenbach was named offensive POY
Quaid Hauer was named Defensive POY

Rodenberg coach of the year

daniels was voted 1st team CHL The only other underclassmen on 1st team were Branch and Mcfarland from Taylor.

Well looks like the "rumors" I heard were true sort of

Peter Breidenbach was named offensive POY
Quaid Hauer was named Defensive POY

Rodenberg coach of the year

daniels was voted 1st team CHL The only other underclassmen on 1st team were Branch and Mcfarland from Taylor.
rodenberg was terrific and deserving; quaid was a 4 year defensive starter on some very good defenses (he had 13 tackles as a *freshman* in the regional finals v. massie); and i saw maderia v. wyoming and PB was really, really good in that game. all reasonable picks. my only surprise was that wyoming's carter rummer was second team CHL.

With the season wrapped up, Any Way too early 2024 predictions for standings and potential players of the year? Will be interesting to look back at this time next year.

Despite all the back and forth on IH vs WYO in this chatroom, it is WYO that remains last team standing.

No changing of the guard. Nothing has changed.
IH beat WYO convincingly 21-3... respectfully, what do you mean by nothing has changed? Both teams had good seasons, but I don't think the fact that Wyoming is the last team standing should contribute towards the "back and forth" between these two teams. In the long run, yes, WYO is the better program and will continue to win more than IH, but this year is undoubtedly an exception, especially noting that both teams lost to Alter. I'm not sure what you mean by "no changing of the guard" and "nothing had changed".

IH beat WYO convincingly 21-3... respectfully, what do you mean by nothing has changed? Both teams had good seasons, but I don't think the fact that Wyoming is the last team standing should contribute towards the "back and forth" between these two teams. In the long run, yes, WYO is the better program and will continue to win more than IH, but this year is undoubtedly an exception, especially noting that both teams lost to Alter. I'm not sure what you mean by "no changing of the guard" and "nothing had changed".
Devlin can change that for the next 3 seasons.

He is to IH as Hester was to Wyoming.

Hester ran for 400yds and 2 TD his freshmen year (granted they had Prater and Mcgee getting alot of the touches in front of him)

Devlin 1500 yds 16 TD and avg'd 10+ yards per carry! If he stays healthy he could really do some things. Crazy its not even his best sport LOL

See in the schedule thread that Wyoming and McNick are both open week 3 2024. Let’s work something out.
I think the Wyoming coach (Hancock?) would prefer a team he‘s confident they could beat. They last played in the mid 2010s with each team winning and losing 2 games. Also to be fair the Rockets already have difficult opponents weeks 1and 2 so they be looking for more of a breather in Week 3. Looking at the schedule thread there’s not much available Week 3..maybe McNick looks for a NKY foe?

I think the Wyoming coach (Hancock?) would prefer a team he‘s confident they could beat. They last played in the mid 2010s with each team winning and losing 2 games. Also to be fair the Rockets already have difficult opponents weeks 1and 2 so they be looking for more of a breather in Week 3. Looking at the schedule thread there’s not much available Week 3..maybe McNick looks for a NKY foe?
I don't think Aaron cares, nor has he ever. Folks bring up Wyoming's 'weak' OOC schedule all the time relating to their win streak discussion, but they've attempted to put challenging teams on it. Harrison was on a run of multiple D2 playoff births when they were scheduled and Monroe had back to back really good seasons in D3. They were a 3pt loss from playing for a regional championship in 2022. Taft isn't a world beater but they've been really solid the past 5+ years as well. Preferring a team he can beat is complete BS in my opinion based on not only their recent OOC scheduling, but also the way the playoffs are ran now, which encourages teams to put those difficult games on their scheduling. The loss really doesn't hurt with 16 teams making it in.

I don't think Aaron cares, nor has he ever. Folks bring up Wyoming's 'weak' OOC schedule all the time relating to their win streak discussion, but they've attempted to put challenging teams on it. Harrison was on a run of multiple D2 playoff births when they were scheduled and Monroe had back to back really good seasons in D3. They were a 3pt loss from playing for a regional championship in 2022. Taft isn't a world beater but they've been really solid the past 5+ years as well. Preferring a team he can beat is complete BS in my opinion based on not only their recent OOC scheduling, but also the way the playoffs are ran now, which encourages teams to put those difficult games on their scheduling. The loss really doesn't hurt with 16 teams making it in.
Then why not schedule a team that would be a clear favorite to get some experience against a superior opponent? The teams you list were all pretty good at some point but in no way would have been favored in a match up with Wyoming. That’s why people think they prefer playing teams they are 95% sure they will beat.