CHL Football 23

EvanJones66

After watching the two playoff games, I am really missing me some high school ball. Anyone have some very early predictions on who will be dominant this year?

Going off the rosters on the CHL website, here's an idea of what each team is losing/returning (in bulk) for next season:

#1 Wyoming (15-1, 7-0 CHL)
-Graduates 21 Seniors from a roster of 52

#2 Madeira (11-2, 6-1 CHL)
-Graduates 16 Seniors from a roster of 49

#3 Reading (7-4, 4-3 CHL)
-Graduates 7 Seniors from a roster of 53

#4 Deer Park (5-5, 4-3 CHL)
-Graduates 14 Seniors from a roster of 38

#5 Indian Hill (3-7, 3-4 CHL)
-Graduates 4 Seniors from a roster of 42

#6 Taylor (4-6, 2-5 CHL)
-Graduates 10 Seniors from a roster of 51

#7 Mariemont (3-7, 2-5 CHL)
-Graduates 13 Seniors from a roster of 54

#8 Finneytown (1-9, 0-7 CHL)
-Graduates 5 Seniors from a roster of 27

I don't think it really matters what Wyoming lost and/or has returning. They are like Clemson in the ACC. 8 out of 10 years they are the best team and those other 2 years, another team just happens to have a really good group that can match them. They may have lost a lot of talent last year but unfortunately for the rest of the CHL, there's no one that has a team imo to take advantage of that. Madeira had THAT kind of team....Last Year. 2nd place will be a toss up like most seasons. I'd give IH a slight edge I suppose. Numbers will be up and they return almost everyone. Reading always plays hard and has a team full of kids with a football mentality. Everyone else behind those 3.

I don't think it really matters what Wyoming lost and/or has returning. They are like Clemson in the ACC. 8 out of 10 years they are the best team and those other 2 years, another team just happens to have a really good group that can match them. They may have lost a lot of talent last year but unfortunately for the rest of the CHL, there's no one that has a team imo to take advantage of that. Madeira had THAT kind of team....Last Year. 2nd place will be a toss up like most seasons. I'd give IH a slight edge I suppose. Numbers will be up and they return almost everyone. Reading always plays hard and has a team full of kids with a football mentality. Everyone else behind those 3.
You correct on Wyoming. They just reload every year. Madeira lost a lot of a good team. I don't look for Indian Hill to be second though. Yes they get their QB back but Im hearing a big offensive weapon I cant remember his name but he was a very tall receiver tore his ACL I believe during AAU basketball. I know Reading lost their QB I believe he is now at Harrison. Taylor was very young last year. If I had to guess
1- Wyoming
2- Reading
3- Taylor
4- Indian HIll
5- Madeira
6- Mariemont
7- Finneytown

Im hoping we get a CHL 23 thread going soon.

You correct on Wyoming. They just reload every year. Madeira lost a lot of a good team. I don't look for Indian Hill to be second though. Yes they get their QB back but Im hearing a big offensive weapon I cant remember his name but he was a very tall receiver tore his ACL I believe during AAU basketball. I know Reading lost their QB I believe he is now at Harrison. Taylor was very young last year. If I had to guess
1- Wyoming
2- Reading
3- Taylor
4- Indian HIll
5- Madeira
6- Mariemont
7- Finneytown

Im hoping we get a CHL 23 thread going soon.
Wyoming definitely at 1, but I see Reading at 3-4. After losing their QB, the offensive attack won’t nearly be as good as it was. I think Deer Park should be in the mix for a top 4 finish… after returning most of their players, they’re hungry for a winning season with Parsons still commanding the offense. I think Indian Hill finishes higher than 4. Losing Hayden at receiver will hurt, but they are arguably the most experienced group in the league this year with virtually all starters returning, including QB Podojil who is no doubt the most dynamic QB here. No way Taylor will keep that 3 spot either unless they have huge help from their underclassmen. Madeira , Mariemont and Finneytown will struggle for sure. Here’s my ranking:

Wyoming
Indian Hill
Reading
Deer Park
Madeira
Taylor
Mariemont
Finneytown

I like that take chlsports#1. It sure will be interesting to see what Hancock has up his sleeve with the offense with only 1 returning offensive lineman and no hester. And I’ve heard rumors they have moved their Qb hauer to fullback so will be interesting to see the passing game. There’s never a doubt that hancock will put something together but this is a young squad that will be put to the test for sure. I do think this year is up for grabs and I think Indian hill Wyoming week 9 will be one to watch.

Wyoming definitely at 1, but I see Reading at 3-4. After losing their QB, the offensive attack won’t nearly be as good as it was. I think Deer Park should be in the mix for a top 4 finish… after returning most of their players, they’re hungry for a winning season with Parsons still commanding the offense. I think Indian Hill finishes higher than 4. Losing Hayden at receiver will hurt, but they are arguably the most experienced group in the league this year with virtually all starters returning, including QB Podojil who is no doubt the most dynamic QB here. No way Taylor will keep that 3 spot either unless they have huge help from their underclassmen. Madeira , Mariemont and Finneytown will struggle for sure. Here’s my ranking:

Wyoming
Indian Hill
Reading
Deer Park
Madeira
Taylor
Mariemont
Finneytown
I don’t hate your list. I would make a few changes to it though given that finneytown has some dawgs this year. They are getting huge help from 2 transfers, one from florida and one from texas. Both of these dawgs are highly recruited aswell by power 5 schools. I would put them over mariemont taylor and maderia but other than that I agree with your top 4. Here’s my list

Wyoming
Indian hill (could take first place)
Reading
Deer park
Finneytown
Taylor
Madeira
Mariemont

I don’t hate your list. I would make a few changes to it though given that finneytown has some dawgs this year. They are getting huge help from 2 transfers, one from florida and one from texas. Both of these dawgs are highly recruited aswell by power 5 schools. I would put them over mariemont taylor and maderia but other than that I agree with your top 4. Here’s my list

Wyoming
Indian hill (could take first place)
Reading
Deer park
Finneytown
Taylor
Madeira
Mariemont
Who are the transfers that Finneytown got? I dont see how just 2 players makes that big of a difference to put them in the top 4. DP lost their best players last year and a got a new DC. I dont see them no where near the top 3
Wyoming
Reading
Indian Hill
Taylor
Madeira
Deer Park
Mariemont
Finneytown

With all due respect to Finneytown, who are these transfers that are propelling them to the middle of the pack in the CHL? The same Finneytown that hasn't won a CHL game since 2014?

Wyoming is going to win the CHL. Not really much else to say. They are leaps and bounds beyond every other team in football. They can lose a guy like Hester and have the guys to reload.

Taylor could be interesting. They return an experienced QB in McGowan who will be throwing to a great receiver in McFarland. McGowan wasn't amazing last year, but having a QB that has already started 15 games or so is valuable. Not sure who runs the ball for them though.

Indian Hill coming off their worst season in awhile. The loss of Hayden will hurt. Podojil will need to have a great season. Not sure they challenge Wyoming this year.

Madeira will take a big step back this year. They lost a lot in Heisser, Autry, Megois and Cravaack. It'll need to be a lot of Breidenbach to Hopewell this year.

Reading losing Engel to Harrison hurts, but of course the graduation of Brooks causes them to lose a lot (on both sides of the ball). Landen Schaefer could have a good year. The loss of Eadicicco and Hess on defense can't be overlooked.

Deer Park should be middle of the pack. Losing Luckett hurts. They are going to run the ball a ton and they have guys experienced in their offense. They need to be able to stop some teams on defense though. Allowed way too many points last year for the type of game they like to play.

Mariemont might be really bad. Dorsten, Stewart and Morgan are all gone, as is their best LB Long. Tully will probably play QB and Glassmeyer, Whitmore and Duckwall will get the most touches on offense. Outside of Finneytown, Mariemont's defense last year was the worst and I'm not sure it's any better this year.

Not sure on Finneytown. They've obviously been bad for a long time but apparently they have transfers??? If the guys who transferred there are truly "dawgs"and "power 5 recruits", then they wouldn't be a Finneytown.

Easy conference to predict at the top

Wyoming
IH
Reading
Taylor
Mariemont
Madeira
Deer Park
Finneytown

conference seems down this year

CHL Conference Tiers:

Overall: conference continues to be down, especially in the mid/lower tiers. Too many top players leaving for parochial schools. For example, St X features at least five starters (three D1 recruits) that were all IH through 8th grade.

Wyoming Tier:
Wyoming- Reload. Consistency in schemes, coaching and style wins when there is turnover.

2nd tier:
IH- returning a ton of starters but from a very weak team. Podojil likely best player in conference and can go distance on any play, designed or broken. Who else can gain yards outside of him is questionable. Defensively very inconsistent last season and cost them multiple wins.

Taylor- Huge hype train early last season after beating poor opponents. No run game. Should be materially better but similar to IH in that there is a lot of returning depth, but from a bad team. If Taylor develops a legit run game, the passing threats vault them into the top of this tier.

Madeira- wild card here. Generational season last year but lost all of their main dudes. They have maximized skillset the past few years and play tough, so imagine they will be in the mix.

Deer Park- loss of DC was not a loss. Worst defense in conference for multiple years with players just running around with no concept of what they were doing. QB is very savvy and they will find athletes to carry the ball outside of him.

Reading - team has been on the rise past few years, loss of Engel might be bigger than people think. Engel name is huge in Reading and to have an Engel leave might indicate some bigger issues there. This Reading team could be bad.

3rd Tier:
Mariemont- overall this program has completely lost any stature it once had. A bad team last season lost its best players so not expecting much.

Finneytown Tier:
Finneytown- Finneytown.

Taylor at McNicholas tomorrow 11am (maybe 10)
McNick scored twice Taylor never really got close except on one interception that was blown dead. First 10 plays at least 6 were stopped when McNick defender touched the QB ( who looked like he could be good Btw). Rockets ran out of plays at least once when they were close (there was a set number of plays for each offensive possession). Game ended when a McNick receiver was hurt and laid out (ref called an unnecessary roughing penalty) I didn‘t see what happened. Hopefully not serious..he’s pretty good.

How'd the rest of the CHL look in the scrimmages? Any surprises?
Indian hill looked fantastic. Seemed as if they could have scored on every play. Alex grace shined with 2 catches for 75 and 2 tds with fanatic balls from John podijil. The running back tandum of freshman devlan Daniel and Penn Piction should be dangerous. The freshman Daniel’s looked amazing had 200 yards and a td on 7 Carrie’s no one could tackle him. The slots are dangerous with Charlie rogers and Noah Frazier to small but fast guys who look a lot stronger and older this year. Look for them to shine. The line looks wayyy bigger too with junior Robert hayes at about 6’7 280. Danny OBrien looked good on a small work load but had a nice play we’re he juked out a few guys. Eli Riggs at tight end is about 250 and he’s tall i can seem him scoring and alot and opening up the run game. The defense may have got Awnsers too as CN didn’t gain a yard pretty much all game. One play for 10 yards on a pass but was vs the jv d. They were playing around with trey Carter and chase Lanham making plays. Look out for the Braves this year. They seem to have a fire under there .

Indian hill looked fantastic. Seemed as if they could have scored on every play. Alex grace shined with 2 catches for 75 and 2 tds with fanatic balls from John podijil. The running back tandum of freshman devlan Daniel and Penn Piction should be dangerous. The freshman Daniel’s looked amazing had 200 yards and a td on 7 Carrie’s no one could tackle him. The slots are dangerous with Charlie rogers (3 catches 56)and Noah Frazier(2 catches 32) to small but fast guys who look a lot stronger and older this year. Rogers looks like a diffrent player Rodenberg says he had a huge offseason for the Braves. Frazier also put on the pounds looks like a nick Chubb out there. Look for them to shine. The line looks wayyy bigger too with junior Robert hayes at about 6’7 280. Danny OBrien looked good on a small work load but had a nice play we’re he juked out a few guys. Eli Riggs at tight end is about 250 and he’s tall i can seem him scoring and alot and opening up the run game. The defense may have got Awnsers too as CN didn’t gain a yard pretty much all game. One play for 10 yards on a pass but was vs the jv d. They were playing around with trey Carter and chase Lanham making plays. Look out for the Braves this year. They seem to have a fire under there .

Indian hill looked fantastic. Seemed as if they could have scored on every play. Alex grace shined with 2 catches for 75 and 2 tds with fanatic balls from John podijil. The running back tandum of freshman devlan Daniel and Penn Piction should be dangerous. The freshman Daniel’s looked amazing had 200 yards and a td on 7 Carrie’s no one could tackle him. The slots are dangerous with Charlie rogers and Noah Frazier to small but fast guys who look a lot stronger and older this year. Look for them to shine. The line looks wayyy bigger too with junior Robert hayes at about 6’7 280. Danny OBrien looked good on a small work load but had a nice play we’re he juked out a few guys. Eli Riggs at tight end is about 250 and he’s tall i can seem him scoring and alot and opening up the run game. The defense may have got Awnsers too as CN didn’t gain a yard pretty much all game. One play for 10 yards on a pass but was vs the jv d. They were playing around with trey Carter and chase Lanham making plays. Look out for the Braves this year. They seem to have a fire under there .
I wouldn‘t read too much into that scimmage CNE is historically pretty bad not to mention D5. Last season resulted in wins against 3 bad D5 and D7 schools. Batavia which was 1-9 beat them for their only W. I’m sure IH will be improved and I know they have some athletes.

Last edited:
I wouldn‘t read too much into that scimmage CNE is historically pretty bad not to mention D5. Last season resulted in wins against 3 bad D5 and D7 schools. Batavia which was 1-9 beat them for their only W. I’m sure IH will be improved and I know they have some athletes.
Yeah i get that but man. They looked great went to a few of there 7v7s and they diced up Lakota west and withrow. Corner Jonathan copfer and safety Charlie rogers didn’t let Chris Henry have a catch.