November 5, 2023
News Release – Ohio High School Athletic Association
Executive Director Doug Ute

www.OHSAA.org | twitter.com/OHSAASports | www.Facebook.com/OHSAASports

For Immediate Release – November 5, 2023
OHSAA Contact –
Tim Stried, Director of Media Relations, tstried@ohsaa.org

OHSAA Girls Volleyball State Tournament Pairings

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association has announced the pairings and schedule for this week’s girls volleyball state tournaments.

Tickets for all OHSAA postseason contests in all sports are available at www.OHSAA.org/tickets.

State tournament media credential information is posted at https://www.ohsaa.org/news/credentials.

2023 OHSAA Volleyball State Tournament Pairings
State Tournament Coverage: https://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tourna...AA-Girls-Volleyball-State-Tournament-Coverage
Designated home team listed first.
All matches at Irvin J. Nutter Center, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
All matches live on the NFHS Network.

Division I
Kings Mills Kings (26-1) vs. Cleveland St. Joseph Academy (23-4), Friday, noon
Lewis Center Olentangy Orange (25-3) vs. Toledo St. Ursula Academy (19-8), Friday, 2 p.m.
Division I State Championship: Sat., Nov. 11 at 3 p.m.

Division II
Alliance Marlington (24-3) vs. Cincinnati Mercy McAuley (23-4), Thursday, 4 p.m.
Columbus Bishop Hartley (22-6) vs. Gates Mills Gilmour Academy (17-10), Thursday, 6 p.m.
Division II State Championship: Sat., Nov. 11 at 1 p.m.

Division III
Byesville Meadowbrook (23-5) vs. Cincinnati Archbishop McNicholas (20-7), Thursday, noon
Mentor Lake Catholic (27-0) vs. St. Henry (24-3), Thursday, 2 p.m.
Division III State Championship: Sat., Nov. 11 at 11 a.m.

Division IV
Sarahsville Shenandoah (27-0) vs. New Bremen (23-4), Friday, 4 p.m.
Tiffin Calvert (26-1) vs. Canton Central Catholic (23-5), Friday, 6 p.m.
Division IV State Championship: Sat., Nov. 11 at 5 p.m.

Semifinal winner predictions:
  • Kings - St. Ursula
  • McAuley - Gilmour
  • McNicholas - Lake Catholic
  • New Bremen - Calvert

Last edited:
  • I am hearing from everyone Kings in Div I, St. Joe's has some nice depth but could get over matched in some rotations.
  • While I am not a fan of how Gilmour runs their volleyball program I would not be surprised if they win Div II. They have many girls that have played on this stage on their roster, the atmosphere takes some getting use to and maybe this helps them?
  • Lake Catholic.
  • Calvert and New Bremen account for 5 of the past 6 titles in Div IV, potentially could be the best match of the weekend if they take care of business on Friday.

D1 - Kings is loaded and survived the best Region by far
D2 - Mercy might have as much talent as Kings, don't see them losing
D3 - Lake Catholic isn't losing
D4 - Toss up but I am going with New Bremen

D1 - Kings is loaded and survived the best Region by far
D2 - Mercy might have as much talent as Kings, don't see them losing
D3 - Lake Catholic isn't losing
D4 - Toss up but I am going with New Bremen
D1 - have to agree plus with it being at Wright State, they will probably bring all those fans up there with them - talk about a home court advantage! (the regional final game was sold out!) Interesting enough the Kings 2 big hitters only hit a net 12% against SUA.

D2 - have to agree but Gilmour Academy won't be a pushover match. This would be a fun match to watch

D3 - agreed but hope McNick can get to that final match!

• I am hearing from everyone Kings in Div I, St. Joe's has some nice depth but could get over matched in some rotations.
  • While I am not a fan of how Gilmour runs their volleyball program I would not be surprised if they win Div II. They have many girls that have played on this stage on their roster, the atmosphere takes some getting use to and maybe this helps them?
  • Lake Catholic.
  • Calvert and New Bremen account for 5 of the past 6 titles in Div IV, potentially could be the best match of the weekend if they take care of business on Friday.
For those NEO Yappi lifers...I will equate the story at Kings similar to that of the 2003 Mentor football year (remember "The Class"?) (https://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/teams.jsp?year=2003&teamID=1016). This Kings team has a senior class that has been projected to do big things when their time came. They've been playing as a unit for at least the last three years. They conquered the GGCL and avenged their only loss (St. Ursula). Time will tell this weekend whether they can stay focused and deliver a state championship back to the Cincinnati area public school ranks.

Tiny (47 girls OHSAA count) Tiffin Calvert has set them selves up nice over the course of the year. The league essentially offers no competition, but they played a lot of top teams this past summer (at New Bremen preseason, at Cedar Point big school division, etc), played and beat Div. I St Ursula in a wild 5-set match that was amongst the best I've seen in a while, and dropped their only match of the year to Div. I Rocky River Magnificat. I like them to finish this off.

25 - 14 Lake Catholic over St. Henry set 2.

Lots of self inflected wounds that set by the Skins.