Youngstown area boys scores/schedules/discussion

March 2
@ Austintown Fitch 74, Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit 69
@ Akron Archbishop Hoban 63, Boardman 46
@ Massillon Washington 64, WGH 63
@ East Liverpool 79, Zanesville 59
Still alive: Canfield, Poland, Howland, Austintown Fitch, South Range, Ursuline, Cardinal Mooney, East Liverpool, JFK, Bristol, Beloit West Branch, Western Reserve

Last edited:
March 2

@ Massillon Washington 64, WGH 63

Harding was down 48-28 with 6:04 remaining in the 3rd quarter and actually came back to lead late in the 4th. I’ve seen a lot of things in my day, but they almost pulled off the greatest WGH comeback that I ever saw in any sport.

Tough loss (especially with how it ended), but kudos to Massillon for hanging on.

March 4
Cardinal Mooney 82, Ashland Mapleton 32
JFK 81, Jeromesville Hillsdale 49

March 5
South Range 58, Perry 49
Columbiana Heartland Christian 55, Bristol 43
Richmond Heights 62, Western Reserve 26

Last edited:
Canfield 40 Canal Fulton NW 33
Austintown Fitch 46 Elyria 48
West Branch 37 Revere 34
Howland 38 Rocky River 26

March 7
Elyria 60, Austintown Fitch 53
Howland 47, Rocky River 44
Canfield 66, Canal Fulton NW 47
West Branch 51, Revere 49

March 8
Cardinal Mooney 84, South Range 59
JFK 76, Columbiana Heartland Christian 39

Last edited:
March 9
Ursuline 61, Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin 44
Warrensville Heights 51, Beloit West Branch 49
Tri-Valley 69, East Liverpool 47
Canfield 64, Cleveland Glenville 51
Cleveland Lutheran West 74, Howland 37

March 12
JFK vs Dalton

March 13
Cardinal Mooney vs Canton Central Catholic

March 14
Ursuline vs VASJ
Canfield vs Warrensville Heights

Who's still standing? JFK, Canfield, Cardinal Mooney, Ursuline

Last edited:
Regional match-ups this week:

Division II / Region 5

Youngstown Ursuline (22-3) vs. Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph (18-7) at Canton Fieldhouse, Thursday, 6 p.m.
Canfield (22-4) vs. Warrensville Heights (18-6) at Canton Fieldhouse, Thursday, 8 p.m.
Regional Final: at Canton Fieldhouse, Saturday, 7 p.m.

Division III / Region 9
Cleveland Heights Lutheran East (19-5) vs. Fairview Park Fairview (19-6) at Canton Fieldhouse, Wednesday, 6 p.m.
Youngstown Cardinal Mooney (21-5) vs. Canton Central Catholic (18-7) at Canton Fieldhouse, Wednesday, 8 p.m.
Regional Final: at Canton Fieldhouse, Saturday, 2 p.m.

Division IV / Region 13
Attica Seneca East (21-5) vs. Richmond Heights (15-9) at Canton Fieldhouse, Tuesday, 6 p.m.
Dalton (16-9) vs. Warren John F. Kennedy (19-6) at Canton Fieldhouse, Tuesday, 8 p.m.
Regional Final: at Canton Fieldhouse, Friday, 7 p.m.

March 12
JFK 75, Dalton 55

March 13
Cardinal Mooney 66, Canton Central Catholic 52

Let's go Eagles & Cards!

Last edited:
March 16
Ursuline 60, Canfield 35
Lutheran East 56, Cardinal Mooney 43
Richmond Heights 95, JFK 61

March 23
Ursuline vs. Kettering Archbishop Alter at UD

HERE COME THE IRISH!

Alter has a 10 minute drive to UD. Ursuline has a 3.5 hour drive to UD.

Last edited:
Cinciirish. How do our YTown Irish match up with Alter?
From today's Vindicator:

The Archbishop Alter team that the Irish will face is making its 11th appearance in the state final four, and is seeking its fourth state title in program history.

The Knights love to shoot the three ball and hit them at a high rate. Alter puts plenty of length and size on the floor with three juniors that each range from 6-foot-6 to 6-foot-8, but the Knights are led by four-star prospect RJ Greer, who has offers from Michigan, Florida, NC State, Penn State and Cincinnati.

“They’re a very well-coached team with great size that can really shoot the ball,” Gunther said. “They love to get it up and down if they can and they got depth, so they’re probably the most complete team that we’ve seen since probably Akron (Archbishop) Hoban. Just one of those teams where we feel like it’s going to be a gritty, tough game. But we feel like if we put a good defensive game plan together, it’ll be a back and forth matchup. And hopefully, if the ball is falling for us, and we play great team defense, we’ll be able to come out with a victory.”

While Ursuline faces Archbishop Alter, the other Division II state semifinal is between Shelby and Maysville. The winners of the two games will face one another for the Division II state championship.

“I don’t want this experience to be over. I feel like we can take another step,” Gunther said. “If I thought we were playing Goliath or somebody I thought was way better than us, I’d tell you. But I don’t feel that way. I feel like the four teams that are left are pretty close in talent and pretty equal. And it’s just going to be who’s gritty, who can make shots and who can finish out their game plan.”

The Vindy gave a nice report. Out of state so I don't know, how is UHS height? Any tall guys that can bang it out inside? Go Irish.

The Vindy gave a nice report. Out of state so I don't know, how is UHS height? Any tall guys that can bang it out inside? Go Irish.
The post is decent for the Youngstown area. In Cleveland, probably not so much. The freshman big is a freshman big. Would be very suprised if Ursuline wins but you never know.

The post is decent for the Youngstown area. In Cleveland, probably not so much. The freshman big is a freshman big. Would be very suprised if Ursuline wins but you never know.
What freshman big? Ursuline's big man is a senior. One freshman starts at guard the other is a shooting forward. The freshman that comes off the bench is the same.