Week 8: LaSalle

Comparison of Offense Output 1992, 2005, 2007 and 2023
1992: 2,966 rushing and 987 yards passing 75% rush
2005: 3,385 rushing and 1,115 yards passing 75% rush
2007: 3,142 rushing and 2,084 yards passing 60% rush
2023 (all 8 games): 1,226 rushing and 1,148 yards passing 51% rush
2023 (1st 5 games) 439 yards rushing and 921 yards passing 32% rush
2023: (last 3 games) 787 yards rushing and 227 yards passing 78% rush

The 2023's offense identity flipped after the Week 5 debacle in Dayton (5 turnovers, 10 points)
The offense was 68% passing the first 5 weeks and has been 78% rushing the last 3 games.
The yards per carry has almost doubled (3.0 to 5.7) and total offense per game is +75 yards

So the offense of the past 3 weeks has been more in line with the offenses of 1992 and 2005 as far as being a run first team
The 2007 offense was more balanced

Since the focus has shifted to the running game.
Coverdale is doing what some claimed he couldn't - design his offense according to player strengths.
The Bombers have 2 exceptional RBs, 1 decent RB, an average QB and 4 decent receivers
Couldn't Coverdale run #3 out of the regular offense, so it wouldn't be so predictable? Hell, maybe even call a few passing plays were #3 has more than one WR running a streak or a converted DL doing an out route? #7s pass proficiency isn't exactly unreplaceable. Also, Marvel isn't exactly a major offensive scheme or design that can't be seen at every youth or middle school game across Cincinnati.

I'm not sure "focus" is how most would describe it or even designing an offense according to player strengths. Personally, it looks they are trying to hide or protect certain players while looking desperate or don't want in team competition. This stretch of the season has allowed X to be one dimensional, but it will be unsustainable come playoff time.

I never saw #3 play before he got to StX
I saw most of his games last year on the freshman level.
He had a flair for the dramatic.....scrambling, throwing on the run and throwing the deep ball to #12
I don't think he threw many intermediate passes of the 10 to 20 yard variety and I think he rarely threw from the pocket.
Not sure he ever did much in the way of progressions, reading defenses, film study
This, his first year of facing varsity level defenses is the first time he has been challenged and I think he struggled in the preseason whereas #7 brought 7 games varsity experience from his sophomore year.

I never saw #3 play before he got to StX
I saw most of his games last year on the freshman level.
He had a flair for the dramatic.....scrambling, throwing on the run and throwing the deep ball to #12
I don't think he threw many intermediate passes of the 10 to 20 yard variety and I think he rarely threw from the pocket.
Not sure he ever did much in the way of progressions, reading defenses, film study
This, his first year of facing varsity level defenses is the first time he has been challenged and I think he struggled in the preseason whereas #7 brought 7 games varsity experience from his sophomore year.
If all true, sounds like St X is holding #3s development back. Wonder why and what amount of reps does #3 get during practice with the regular offensive playbook? With #7 at QB, St. X is .500 club and offense has been taking steps backwards. 15 games is a large enough sample size and opportunity, but #3 can't run a few plays out of the regular offensive playbook.

Going to stir the pot here a little bit. Heard Specht cancelled the Wednesday night film sessions. No matter the reasoning the optics are not good. This has been a tradition within the program for a long time and for it to get cancelled towards the end of the season sends the wrong message. There are plenty of opinions on the matter, just think this is one of those things where you at least need to finish out the season.

Going to stir the pot here a little bit. Heard Specht cancelled the Wednesday night film sessions. No matter the reasoning the optics are not good. This has been a tradition within the program for a long time and for it to get cancelled towards the end of the season sends the wrong message. There are plenty of opinions on the matter, just think this is one of those things where you at least need to finish out the season.
The last thing coaches want to deal with is outside noise from parents and fans. If it's gotten bad enough for him to cancel these sessions, do people need to chill out with the commentary? Does more of it hurt the Bombers chances of success in the playoffs? Do people think this cloud has caused performance to decline on the field?

Is it time for the AD to step it to quell the noise? Has he already? Will that even matter?

I've always said "sometimes the coaches aren't right, they are human too". BUT, they are in control.

If decisions have been made that don't seem to be the right ones (based on performance), seems those should be open to be questioned. Maybe not in a public forum like a film session, but people are going to talk about it regardless. Not sure you can stop it.

Last edited:
Was waiting for someone else to say something about Specht. I was told few weeks ago that this is it for Specht. He has had enough. He is tired and it’s not from Coaching Football if you know what I mean. I know Parents of Players and have Family members Employed at X.

Once you let politics seep in, it becomes cancerous. And it impacts results. Politics just begets more politics.

And then before you know it, people will start making a million excuses for poor performance. The finger-pointing starts and everyone blames everyone else. It's a vicious cancerous cycle.

All you have to do is point to our government to see how it deflates community.

Performance has to come first, otherwise, you open yourself up for scrutiny.

I have zero insight into this, so saying that upfront, but it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall to know if there is indeed pressure being put on by some of the power players in this circumstance.

Are certain people allowed to offer a voice because of $$ or their position within football? I would think at this point in his career Specht would just say "enough is enough" and simply start communicating that way. Maybe that's happened.

But if it hasn't, it tells me more influence is going on behind the scenes. Specht should have 100% decision making power with his team. If he doesn't, I could see him wanting to throw in the towel.

The last thing coaches want to deal with is outside noise from parents and fans. If it's gotten bad enough for him to cancel these sessions, do people need to chill out with the commentary? Does more of it hurt the Bombers chances of success in the playoffs? Do people think this cloud has caused performance to decline on the field?

Is it time for the AD to step it to quell the noise? Has he already? Will that even matter?

I've always said "sometimes the coaches aren't right, they are human too". BUT, they are in control.

If decisions have been made that don't seem to be the right ones (based on performance), seems those should be open to be questioned. Maybe not in a public forum like a film session, but people are going to talk about it regardless. Not sure you can stop it.
The film nights weren't a parent grief fest. No one was asking about playing time or if person x should be playing over person y It was legit just coach Specht coming in and breaking down film so parents could understand the good the bad and the ugly. It was always fun and respectful.

The film nights weren't a parent grief fest. No one was asking about playing time or if person x should be playing over person y It was legit just coach Specht coming in and breaking down film so parents could understand the good the bad and the ugly. It was always fun and respectful.
I know that - was just saying it can start to creep into things like that if the noise gets loud enough. Him canceling it might mean the noise is loud enough to make it uncomfortable. The last thing he wants is to have to deal with something like that in the film sessions.

Maybe he's proving a point? If you want to talk in shadows and complain about decisions all season, we will start to take these things away. I could see that too.

But again, if it has gotten to this point, you also have to admit, if you're the coach, that maybe you've made some bad decisions. As I said, sometimes the coach just makes the wrong call that is the impetus for everything.

I know that - was just saying it can start to creep into things like that if the noise gets loud enough. Him canceling it might mean the noise is loud enough to make it uncomfortable. The last thing he wants is to have to deal with something like that in the film sessions.

Maybe he's proving a point? If you want to talk in shadows and complain about decisions all season, we will start to take these things away. I could see that too.

But again, if it has gotten to this point, you also have to admit, if you're the coach, that maybe you've made some bad decisions. As I said, sometimes the coach just makes the wrong call that is the impetus for everything.
Gotcha, just wanted to make sure that was clear, but the cancelation could also just be because he is getting older and he's already dedicating a ton of time to football. Maybe he just wants to reclaim some of his time.

If this is Coach Specht's last year, what a career it has been for him at his alma mater. Probably 35 years all told as a student, teacher, coach and administrator. Four (?) state titles, numerous players having played in college, some in the NFL and many more successful family men. I realize there is no shortage of talent at X but those will be big shoes to fill.
Smarty2022, selfishly, I hope your sources are wrong.

Comparison of Offense Output 1992, 2005, 2007 and 2023
1992: 2,966 rushing and 987 yards passing 75% rush
2005: 3,385 rushing and 1,115 yards passing 75% rush
2007: 3,142 rushing and 2,084 yards passing 60% rush
2023 (all 8 games): 1,226 rushing and 1,148 yards passing 51% rush
2023 (1st 5 games) 439 yards rushing and 921 yards passing 32% rush
2023: (last 3 games) 787 yards rushing and 227 yards passing 78% rush

The 2023's offense identity flipped after the Week 5 debacle in Dayton (5 turnovers, 10 points)
The offense was 68% passing the first 5 weeks and has been 78% rushing the last 3 games.
The yards per carry has almost doubled (3.0 to 5.7) and total offense per game is +75 yards

So the offense of the past 3 weeks has been more in line with the offenses of 1992 and 2005 as far as being a run first team
The 2007 offense was more balanced
Thanks for doing the work on this. That '07 team could more or less do what they want against most teams.

I hope the offense continues with #7 as a game manager in a run first offense that can find creative ways to use #3. A split backfield with Napier, Vollmer, and Britt, with Golden brought in for power could be very fun.

If this is Coach Specht's last year, what a career it has been for him at his alma mater. Probably 35 years all told as a student, teacher, coach and administrator. Four (?) state titles, numerous players having played in college, some in the NFL and many more successful family men. I realize there is no shortage of talent at X but those will be big shoes to fill.
Me too! I’m not an old guy when I think of St. X Football I think of what Steve Rasso and Steve Specht along with All the Great Players they had along the way. My personal opinion is that Coach Specht still relates well with todays Teenage Boys but don’t think he cares much for the Politics and some of the Parental non sense at all. Truly believe that has really worn on him.

Thanks for doing the work on this. That '07 team could more or less do what they want against most teams.

I hope the offense continues with #7 as a game manager in a run first offense that can find creative ways to use #3. A split backfield with Napier, Vollmer, and Britt, with Golden brought in for power could be very fun.
Team success is dependent on players accepting their roles.
They don't have to like their role, new or altered, but they need to learn to accept it, for their own good and the good of the team.

I think game manager is a good descriptor for #7's role at this point in time of his junior year.

Offensively #3, #44 and #87 are the primary players that are going to advance the ball toward and into the end zone.
#4, #6, #80 and #12 have secondary roles.
#7's job is to get the ball into their hands and when he has an open lane take advantage.

I'm excited to see the remainder of this season

Specht has cancelled film night before.....it's the usual story where a few bad eggs ruin a good thing.
Specht, like Rasso and Ballaban before him, will leave when he's ready and on his terms.

GO X!!

Probably true-- certainly 2005 and 2007.
The defenses in Specht’s first 6 seasons as head coach were stellar
Opponents were held to a TD or less and around 200 yards per game
From 2010 and on defenses have been surrendering 2 to 3 TDs per game on average
But he proved in 2016 and 2020 that X can win championships with average defenses

Specht Defenses as Head Coach (20 seasons) : points and yards allowed
*2004: 8.7 points and 220 yards
#*2005: 1.7 points and 162 yards
*2006: 4.0 points and 207 yards
#*2007: 2.8 points and 212 yards
@2008: 7.3 points and 191 yards (offense decimated by injuries)
*2009: 3.6 points and 210 yards

2010: 18.0 points and 270 yards
2011: 14.1 points and 240 yards
*2012: 25.0 points and 371 yards
@2013: 19.4 points and 310 yards
*2014: 15.8 points and 219 yards
*2015: 18.8 points and 265 yards
#2016: 19.5 points and 313 yards
*2017: 12.4 points and 243 yards
@2018: 18.7 points and 269 yards
2019: 20.5 points and 315 yards
#*2020: 17.9 points and 276 yards
*2021: 13.5 points and 199 yards
@2022: 24.2 points and 315 yards
2023 16.8 points and 236 yards

#state champs
* GCL champs
@ losing record

As a coach and teacher at StX since 1994 he has impacted thousands of young men's lives
42 former Bombers are currently playing college football.
If 10 per year average that's 300 players he's coached that went on to play in college, most on scholarship.

As far as success on the gridiron he has won 172 games as HC in this his 20th season
Rasso is winningest coach in StX history with 189 wins

Bomber Head Coaches
1st 7 Head Coaches: 1926-1952 (27 years) Record: 114-90-20 (0.533), 6 GCL titles
8. Tom Ballaban (142-91-8) 1953-1977
9. Steve Rasso (189-86-2) 1978-2003
10. Steve Specht (172-72) 2004-present

Tom Ballaban: 1953-1977 (25 years) Record 142-91-8 (0.589), 3 GCL titles
Steve Rasso: 1978-2003 (26 years) Record 188-86-2 (0.681), 6 GCL titles
Steve Specht: 2004-present (20th year) Record 172-72 (0.705), 11 GCL titles, 4 state titles (2005, 2007, 2016, 2020)

GCL Titles
1st 7 Head Coaches (6): 1928, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1943 and 1947
Tom Ballaban (3): 1957, 1968 and 1970
Steve Rasso (6): 1992, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001
Steve Specht (11) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2020 and 2021

If all true, sounds like St X is holding #3s development back. Wonder why and what amount of reps does #3 get during practice with the regular offensive playbook? With #7 at QB, St. X is .500 club and offense has been taking steps backwards. 15 games is a large enough sample size and opportunity, but #3 can't run a few plays out of the regular offensive playbook.
They get equal time at QB in practice and #3 gets additional time at various skill positions when #7 is at QB

Yes, the playbook used in practice reflects what we see on Friday nights.....#3 at QB (85% run plays), #7 at QB (@50%)
To put #3 in with a full playbook at this point wouldn't be fair to him or fair to the team.

Development this off season for both QBs will be essential so that next season's offense can be even more productive
Last offseason Herbie worked with Brad Maendler (owner of QB Excelerate Training) and I think Daniel was working with Tony Pike who trained Brogan McCaughey and Chase Wolf.

See y'all at Byers Field for some tailcatting
GO X!

They get equal time at QB in practice and #3 gets additional time at various skill positions when #7 is at QB

Yes, the playbook used in practice reflects what we see on Friday nights.....#3 at QB (85% run plays), #7 at QB (@50%)
To put #3 in with a full playbook at this point wouldn't be fair to him or fair to the team.

Development this off season for both QBs will be essential so that next season's offense can be even more productive
Last offseason Herbie worked with Brad Maendler (owner of QB Excelerate Training) and I think Daniel was working with Tony Pike who trained Brogan McCaughey and Chase Wolf.

GO X!
The one thing I will say about this whole debate of who should be qb is that not once has #3 or #7 complained. They both go out and bust their tails and do what's asked putting the team over personal gain

GO X!

Hell, #7 doesn't run the entire playbook. How about just 50%, 25%, or 5% of the regular playbook for #3. What's the harm in giving him a few series? St X's O isn't exactly dynamic or producing at a high level over the last 15 games with #7 at QB. Remind you, he was thrown in vs Elder after being the JV QB, so St. X doesn't mind throwing youngsters into the deep end.

Both QBs seem like good kids and work, so that's not up for debate.

Lot of innuendo about "noise" and "people talking in shadows" getting to Specht. What are examples of that? It definitely doesn't happen at film night from what it sounds like. Is Specht being confronted in any way? If so, I would understand his frustration, but does anyone have examples to support that?

I don't think Specht is leaving after this season. I think he knows he has a potential State Championship Caliber team in the next couple seasons and he is going to do things on his terms.

Lot of innuendo about "noise" and "people talking in shadows" getting to Specht. What are examples of that? It definitely doesn't happen at film night from what it sounds like. Is Specht being confronted in any way? If so, I would understand his frustration, but does anyone have examples to support that?
Just the normal talk of the parents when things aren't going as well as they could and there's very differing opinions on talent.

I'm sure there are some that are louder than others, and I'm guessing those people are very annoying to the coaches. It's not fun to be second-guessed. But at the same time, some of the questions seem to be legit.

It's tough in this day and age if it gets to the point where these voices get out of control. It can snowball quickly and it spreads like cancer. You have to mitigate this stuff early on or it just snowballs. And people have to believe you by the results on the field that you are making decisions to improve team performance.

Just the normal talk of the parents when things aren't going as well as they could and there's very differing opinions on talent.

I'm sure there are some that are louder than others, and I'm guessing those people are very annoying to the coaches. It's not fun to be second-guessed. But at the same time, some of the questions seem to be legit.

It's tough in this day and age if it gets to the point where these voices get out of control. It can snowball quickly and it spreads like cancer. You have to mitigate this stuff early on or it just snowballs. And people have to believe you by the results on the field that you are making decisions to improve team performance.
I hear you and I don't mean to be obtuse but I just don't understand how the voices are heard by the coaches. What's the forum for that...other than this blog, perhaps? Parents aren't confronting coaches so I'm trying to understand exactly how the noise reaches them.
And I agree that whether the questions are justified is an entirely different issue.

Hell, #7 doesn't run the entire playbook. How about just 50%, 25%, or 5% of the regular playbook for #3. What's the harm in giving him a few series? St X's O isn't exactly dynamic or producing at a high level over the last 15 games with #7 at QB. Remind you, he was thrown in vs Elder after being the JV QB, so St. X doesn't mind throwing youngsters into the deep end.

Both QBs seem like good kids and work, so that's not up for debate.
Every week pass plays are added to #3's playbook, it's a process and he can get there eventually
At this point he's completed 1 of just 11 passes on the varsity level.
I expect his attempts and completions to increase in these final 2 games and hopefully into the playoffs.
When he played in the Moeller JV game in Week 5 his passing numbers were not good.
I'm not sure why this isn't easy to understand

He doesn't have any.
This is how Doublehelix (trey2k) operates and what got him blocked from posting in the Elder forum and is about to get him blocked from the X forum.