Week 5 Mentor (2-2) @ Cleveland Heights (3-1)

GCP441

Heights again committing too many penalties,offsides, holding etc becoming very undisciplined barely getting by a very motivated Brunswick team 13-10.

Mentor playing at home came from behind shocking the Medina Bees 42-41. Tigers keep this undisciplined play going they will lose there first GCC game, not very confident, but anything can happen.

Playing a clean game has to be the main emphasis at practice this week for Heights. They have two choices: play a clean game and have a chance at the end (I think they win if they do) or dont. Truly that simple

Zero chance is a bit strong. Did you see the passes that #12 threw? They were precise and no mistake.
He missed the wide open 4th down pass badly in the end zone. Even the hodge pass was overthrown and he made a heck of a catch to haul it in

Sure if he had a week to prepare it could be better. But it didn't look promising overall. They'd stack the box

Matt Goul confirmed it was a head injury
Right but I think it came from the fall. Video shared didn't look head to head. Is what it is at this point. Am surprised no call as high school refs call most hard hits a penalty. See the Iggy game bs flag on our player since the Iggy guy didn't have his strap right on the helmet

Guys, there are many players and plays that will contribute to a win or loss. The doom and gloom projections are discounting the other players and what they will contribute.

The defense has shown that they will do their part, and then some. They repeatedly get the ball back in the hands of the offense through forced turnovers and that will pay off.

Pearce did a great job and if he's the guy on Friday night will have had a week to prepare, both physically and mentally. I'm not sure many players, collegiate or even professional, would have stepped into that situation and done much better. He jumped into that game at a high pressure moment, he embraced it, and he owned it. Dude's a stud in my eyes.

Zero chance is a bit strong. Did you see the passes that #12 threw? They were precise and no mistake.
I will acknowledge that a backup being thrown into a 4th quarter high leverage situation is difficult. But to say that all of his throws were precise and made no mistakes is just plain wrong. If you’re not related to the kid (and even if you are), I seriously question your football assessment of what a precise pass looks like. Of what a mistake looks like.

Were the majority of the throws effective? Yes. But that was only because Hodge made two incredible plays on balls that had no business being caught.

People can watch the YouTube link on Mentor TV YouTube channel to make their own conclusions about how the 4th quarter went after Fox went down.

Cleveland Heights had a much closer than expected win over an 0-4 Brunswick team. What does that mean for this week? I don’t know. But I do feel a little better about the matchup after seeing that Brunswick shut them out of the end zone for the first half.

If Fox is healthy, I think Mentor wins. If he’s not, I would be very surprised if Heights loses.

I will acknowledge that a backup being thrown into a 4th quarter high leverage situation is difficult. But to say that all of his throws were precise and made no mistakes is just plain wrong. If you’re not related to the kid (and even if you are), I seriously question your football assessment of what a precise pass looks like. Of what a mistake looks like.

Were the majority of the throws effective? Yes. But that was only because Hodge made two incredible plays on balls that had no business being caught.

People can watch the YouTube link on Mentor TV YouTube channel to make their own conclusions about how the 4th quarter went after Fox went down.
You guys are always so predictable and I was counting the minutes for someone to question the things that you just did.
1. I didn't say "all of his throws were precise"
2. I'm not a family member
3. I do know a decent amount about football

I don't feel compelled to respond to all of your points and I stand by my assessment. You could watch the game and his plays again too, take a look at the "precision " of the touch he put on the ball that dropped into Hodges hands on the sideline.

Oh, and life is way more enjoyable if you can try to look at it through a less pessimistic lens....just saying.

One can also look at the scoreboard. It's says it all.

One can also look at the scoreboard. It's says it all.
The scoreboard is a TEAM thing. Individual performances are a different bird.

You literally said he made no mistakes with his passes which is just ridiculous. The best NFL QB makes mistakes every quarter, let alone every game.

I can understand not being critical or negative. That is a pretty fair thing to keep off the boards considering they are high schoolers. Believe me, I do hold back and try to be careful for that reason. But to unnecessarily give compliments in a way that is dishonest is something I won’t do.

The scoreboard is a TEAM thing. Individual performances are a different bird.

You literally said he made no mistakes with his passes which is just ridiculous. The best NFL QB makes mistakes every quarter, let alone every game.

I can understand not being critical or negative. That is a pretty fair thing to keep off the boards considering they are high schoolers. Believe me, I do hold back and try to be careful for that reason. But to unnecessarily give compliments in a way that is dishonest is something I won’t do.
What this means is that the precision was not an accident, in those specifc examples. The cadence of this sentence was beyond you and your rush to be critical had you jumping quickly on the board to be right. I'll dumb down my future posts for your sake.

I didn't "literally" say he made no mistakes. If I had intended to say his entire performance was mistake free I would have said he made no mistakes.

When I suggested that the scoreboard reflect something about the performance of #12 I was taking into account that Mentor was behind when he came in. It's fair to say he had something to do with the win rather than go to YouTube and pick apart his performance for mistake(s). See, when an "s" is added it changes the context....

Last edited:
Ok so I guess it’s my fault that I read this sentence as you saying that his passes were precise and “no mistake.” I will try to read your mind next time before I post.

If Pearce plays on Friday, he will have a whole week of practice and preparation. That will be a better indication of where he is at.

Ok so I guess it’s my fault that I read this sentence as you saying that his passes were precise and “no mistake.” I will try to read your mind next time before I post.

If Pearce plays on Friday, he will have a whole week of practice and preparation. That will be a better indication of where he is at.
You aren't asked to read my mind, but rather the meaning of the sentence; that's what literal means.

Mentor's biggest challenge defensively will be the running attack of the Tigers. Through four games, Mentor's defense has been tested in a variety of ways, but it has mainly been with a talented QB. Marquise Davis, a junior RB with a handful** of DI offers, sounds like an explosive back with pretty good size.

Week 1: 228 yards and 4 TD's against Berea-Midpark
Week 2: 194 yards and 2 TD's against Paramus (NJ)
Week 3: 333 yards and 4 TD's against Hudson
Week 4: 125 yards and 2 TD's against Brunswick

I hope the Mentor coaching staff could gain some valuable insights on how to slow him down a bit like Brunswick apparently did. Mentor's base defense will need to be adjusted as this is the first game that the defense is game-planning for a primary rushing offense. This Heights offense relies on Davis to take them as far as they can. It is no surprise that once Davis was limited to a more reasonable yardage, their offense really struggled. But doing what Brunswick was able to do is likely way more easier said than done.

**Edit: By "handful" I should have accurately called it "a bazillion" offers, or simply just 25 and counting

Last edited:
Mentor's biggest challenge defensively will be the running attack of the Tigers. Through four games, Mentor's defense has been tested in a variety of ways, but it has mainly been with a talented QB. Marquise Davis, a junior RB with a handful of DI offers, sounds like an explosive back with pretty good size.

Week 1: 228 yards and 4 TD's against Berea-Midpark
Week 2: 194 yards and 2 TD's against Paramus (NJ)
Week 3: 333 yards and 4 TD's against Hudson
Week 4: 125 yards and 2 TD's against Brunswick

I hope the Mentor coaching staff could gain some valuable insights on how to slow him down a bit like Brunswick apparently did. Mentor's base defense will need to be adjusted as this is the first game that the defense is game-planning for a primary rushing offense. This Heights offense relies on Davis to take them as far as they can. It is no surprise that once Davis was limited to a more reasonable yardage, their offense really struggled. But doing what Brunswick was able to do is likely way more easier said than done.
Well if 25 offers are considered a handful then another handful wound’nt be too bad at all
1694390287045.png

A recent history of Mentor playing Cleveland Heights:
  • The two haven't played in the regular season since the 2010 season, which was the last year that Mentor was in the LEL.
  • When Mentor joined the LEL in 1993, they beat Cleveland Heights 18 straight regular season games until leaving for the NOC in the 2011 season
  • Mentor did play the Tigers in the first round of the 2019 playoffs, winning 49-7
What does all of this mean? Well, nothing. But I like history and research. This year's game has nothing to do with the past dominance. Mentor aint what they used to be. And Cleveland Heights is as strong as they have ever been. Hoping to see a good one on Friday night.

@GCP441 check your pms

For in general though , does Cleveland HTS have places to park in school lots and if so where? Been awhile since I went to a football game there.

Not good with street parking or grass lots anymore at these games

If Fox is out, that changes any prediction/thoughts I have. Not that Mentor can't still win, but the odds go down for sure. Either way I hope it's a great game and both teams come out of it with no more injuries.

@GCP441 check your pms

For in general though , does Cleveland HTS have places to park in school lots and if so where? Been awhile since I went to a football game there.

Not good with street parking or grass lots anymore at these games
Tricky question parking would be at the east end of the school in the parking lot. And on the side of the school where the parking lots
are diagonal unfortunately there only street parking left and a city municipal a lot one street west of the corner of Lee Road and Cedar but it being a Friday night parking will be at a premium. Construction has eliminated the municipal parking lots directly across the street from the football field. It’s a first come first serve..

Tricky question parking would be at the east end of the school in the parking lot. And on the side of the school where the parking lots
are diagonal unfortunately there only street parking left and a city municipal a lot one street west of the corner of Lee Road and Cedar but it being a Friday night parking will be at a premium. Construction has eliminated the municipal parking lots directly across the street from the football field. It’s a first come first serve..
Would it be easier to park somewhere and use public transportation? Mentor usually travels really really well.

That sucks then. Wish I knew if Fox was playing to know if I should bother with it. Not easy to park isn't great for my situation