Week 3: McCallie (TN)

IMO, aside from a couple of series, Cov called an awful game. He seems to have one of these a year when he can't get out of his own way.

The first offensive series when Bennett fumbled, McCallie recovered and scored soon thereafter, it seemed to take the wind out of the Bombers' sails the rest of the night. Who knows, maybe back-to-back road trips caught up to them. By the way, tuition at McCallie ranges from 33K to 70K; depends on if the kid is boarding or not. Christian, non-denominational school. Boys from 28 states and 16 countries attend. The QB is from Canada.

The first offensive series when Bennett fumbled, McCallie recovered and scored soon thereafter, it seemed to take the wind out of the Bombers' sails the rest of the night. Who knows, maybe back-to-back road trips caught up to them. By the way, tuition at McCallie ranges from 33K to 70K; depends on if the kid is boarding or not. Christian, non-denominational school. Boys from 28 states and 16 countries attend. The QB is from Canada.
I think that "broader net" was evident on the field-- McCallie had more talent on the field, at most positions-- especially at the skill positions: I noticed it particularly at QB, RB, DB... McCallie was also able to get consistently strong pass rush pressure on X's QB while only rushing 3-4 guys, which suggests they had more talent on the line, as well.

But even with that talent disparity, X could have made this a much closer game-- every time X did something right, it seemed like X almost immediately turned around and negated it by doing something wrong-- starting with the first series of the game: the X QB completed a short pass that the receiver turned into a first down, with his run after the catch-- only to fumble because he stayed on his feet too long, after he got the first down-- they stood him up in the middle of the field, and he didn't cover up the ball, leading to the fumble-- you could see it coming, as he stayed up with multiple tacklers around him... and the McCallie QB made X pay, almost immediately, with a terrific throw between two defenders to score a TD on that short field, in the first 2+ minutes of the game.
Same thing happened with X's terrible field position problems in the first half-- X finally got a first down, then got off a really good punt, that would have put McCallie back inside their 25-yard line-- and one of X's kick coverage guys needlessly shoved McCallie's punt returner after he called for a fair catch-- and McCallie was suddenly right back to their 40-yard line...
Same thing at the end of the first half-- X drives down the field, X's RB had a nice run on first down (that SHOULD have resulted in a first down inside the 3-yard line-- but he angled out of bounds, instead of putting his head down, and taking on the tackler for the extra yard needed)-- so, instead, X runs two loss-making short yardage plays-- in formations where anybody paying attention could see what X was going to do, and predict where the ball/play was going, by keying off the extra blocker in front of the RB (McCallie sure did), and X ends up settling for a FG, when it should have been first-and-goal at the two-yard line, leading to a touchdown...
But that slip from an X TD to FG wasn't the worst of that reversal-- X compounded it, on the ensuing possession, when X had McCallie's QB all but sacked for a loss on a second or third and long yardage down, that likely would have ended that possession-- but the two would-be X tacklers bounced off the QB, allowing him to run for a big gain and a first down-- and then, of course, McCallie made us pay by going on to score a TD right before half... X had really held them without a long TD drive the whole game, up to that point. Then, McCallie came out in the second half, and did the same thing again-- X had them in a third and long, the McCallie's QB eluded what looked like another imminent sack behind the line of scrimmage, and found a receiver for a big gain that quickly led to another TD-- and the game was effectively over at that point.

It was kind of interesting that one of McCallie's two announcers (who both did an excellent job, I thought-- in fact, their whole televised presentation was first rate) was a Cincy native-- and knew quite a bit about St. X, the GCL, and of course Cincinnati... he's a MUCH bigger fan of Skyline Chili than Joe Burrow is, apparently.

I wonder if McCallie will ever make a trip to St. X for a rematch. It would be nice if they did but I am not sure it will happen. They were a very good team.

I thought the McCallie announcers did a good job too. When they were discussing notable St. X. alumni, two things got my attention:
1. Luke Kuechly - I thought he said "played at Purdue." Definitely was not Boston College.
2. ReLoad was not mentioned as a notable alum - what gives ?!

I thought the McCallie announcers did a good job too. When they were discussing notable St. X. alumni, two things got my attention:
1. Luke Kuechly - I thought he said "played at Purdue." Definitely was not Boston College.
2. ReLoad was not mentioned as a notable alum - what gives ?!
Yes, he did get Kuechly's alma mater wrong... a somewhat understandable mistake, as Kuechly became a much more well-known player, once he became a star in the NFL-- even though he was a first-round draft pick, non-St. X (and non-BC) fans probably didn't know much about him, during/from his college days-- even though he set the NCAA Division I record for career tackles (in 3 years of play!), his profile was not nearly as high in college, as the offensive players who get widely publicized for the Heisman Trophy...

As for the OTHER oversight, I don't know how to explain that one...

good to see Cathedral back on the schedule. Notice it is a home game
Both the StX JV and freshmen teams played Cathedral at home last week (Week 3), while varsity was in Chattanooga.
So next year the JV and freshmen teams will play them in Indy which means the Varsity will be at home.