Week 3: McCallie (TN)

ReLoad

The StX Bombers (2-0) travel over 5 hours :( to Chattanooga TN to play the McCallie Blue Tornado (2-0) this Friday night
This will be the first game between the 2 schools

Both teams enter Week 3 undefeated, McCallie outscoring its opponents 94-34 and StX 54-10

McCallie in Week 1 beat Chattanooga Christian 53-13 and Week 2 beat Woodward Academy 41-21

Last season the Blue Tornado went 10-3 losing to Montgomery Bell during the regular season 23-20 and then in the state semifinals 28-27

The Blue Tornado's offense is fairly potent led by senior QB #2 Jeremy St. Hilaire Sr. 6’4” 220lb, a 3 star Vanderbilt commit
St. Hilaire likes to get the football in the hands of 4 receivers and 1 running back

McCallie offensive playmakers
WR/FS #3 Carson Lawrence Jr. 6’3” 185lb 3 star commit Vanderbilt
TE/DE #17 Carson Gentile Sr. 6'5" 250lb 3 star commit Vanderbilt
RB/S #0 Javon McMahan Sr. 5’10’ 195lb
WR #1 Enrique Jaimes Sr. 6’1” 185lb
WR #7 Mathieu Hebert Sr. 6’2” 200lb

McCallie Defense
RE/RT #55 Olivier Camerlain Sr. 6’6” 260lb
NG/LG #57 Jaden Key Jr. 6'2" 230lb
LE #8 Paul Degui Sr. 6'2" 230lb
LB/TE #17 Carson Gentle Sr. 6’4” 250lb 3 star Tennessee commit
LB #32 Bear Cortez Jr. 6’2” 205lb
LB #5 Philip Bouthot Sr. 6’2” 210lb
SS #9 Sean Couvertiere Jr. 6’0’ 178lb
FS/WR #3 Carson Lawrence Jr. 6’3” 185lb 3 star commit Vanderbilt
Adj #6 Choosen Lokombe Sr. 5’10” 170lb
CB #11 Marcellus Barnes Jr. 6’1” 178lb 3 star commit Virginia Tech
CB #20 De’Shun Tipton So. 5’8” 156lb

5 McCallie players play both ways....CGentle, Lawrence, McMahan, Key, Chamberlain,
Should be able to wear them down

While I don't put a great deal of credence in the sites predictions; I look at Calpreps every week for "kicks and giggles". Calpreps has McCallie winning 24-22. Historically when there is a 2 pt spread Calpreps calls the winner 57% of the time.

This will be the biggest test thus far for X and possibly for the season.
McCallie is a talented and experienced team (majority of starters are seniors and/or returning starters)
The Bombers are travelling over 5 hours Friday, leaving late morning to arrive for a 7pm kickoff.
Last Saturday's trip to Detroit will help
On film McCallie looks to be vulnerable at the tackle positions so edge rushers Sulfsted, Clapper, Folke and Brice could have big games.
As mentioned 5 McCallie players go both ways pretty much full time so the 4th quarter could provide X opportunities.
Should be a great game
GO X!

This will be the biggest test thus far for X and possibly for the season.
McCallie is a talented and experienced team (majority of starters are seniors and/or returning starters)
The Bombers are travelling over 5 hours Friday, leaving late morning to arrive for a 7pm kickoff.
Last Saturday's trip to Detroit will help
On film McCallie looks to be vulnerable at the tackle positions so edge rushers Sulfsted, Clapper, Folke and Brice could have big games.
As mentioned 5 McCallie players go both ways pretty much full time so the 4th quarter could provide X opportunities.
Should be a great game
GO X!
I still do not understand why St X has to do all of this traveling to play HIgh School football games. With all the teams in the region, it seems odd and bit unfair to the kids.

Because no one will play them. Same reason as to why Moe and Elder have a bunch of non-league games against out of state teams.
And Ed's, Ignatius, etc...this is compounded with the leagues like the GMC that have so many league games that they can only schedule a game or two outside. Unless a school is a D2 power, like LaSalle, Massillon, Hoban, or WW, they don't want to schedule a big D1 school because it's usually a L, and safety of the kids.

Because no one will play them. Same reason as to why Moe and Elder have a bunch of non-league games against out of state teams.
StX is just taking longer road trips but they could play teams 2 to 3 hours away if they wanted to. Cathedral (Indy), StX (Louisville), several of the public HS in Indy (check Moeller's schedule), and St Eds will all play StX. I am guessing some of the public HS in Columbus and Cleveland would as well. The public high schools in SW Ohio are being a bunch of turds and went to a 9 game conference schedule.

I do think the Cathedral relationship might be strained after the last game because the field that was used was in horrible condition but you have to talk those things out. JV and Freshmen still play Cathedral but I have to expect Specht said no more Varsity until Cathedral figures out a better home game location.

There is really no reason for traveling beyond 3 hours for high school football. Having said that StX does is right. The players are fed well, travel in nice buses, and StX has the money like no other to do whatever they want. Specht knows he has a lot of young talent on the roster and he is going to showcase it.

Consider: Centerville, Fairmont, Northmont, Wayne, Springfield City too though GWOC (?) league commitments may be similar to GMC's.

X and Centerville play in '24 and '25, I think.

StX is just taking longer road trips but they could play teams 2 to 3 hours away if they wanted to. Cathedral (Indy), StX (Louisville), several of the public HS in Indy (check Moeller's schedule), and St Eds will all play StX. I am guessing some of the public HS in Columbus and Cleveland would as well. The public high schools in SW Ohio are being a bunch of turds and went to a 9 game conference schedule.

I do think the Cathedral relationship might be strained after the last game because the field that was used was in horrible condition but you have to talk those things out. JV and Freshmen still play Cathedral but I have to expect Specht said no more Varsity until Cathedral figures out a better home game location.

There is really no reason for traveling beyond 3 hours for high school football. Having said that StX does is right. The players are fed well, travel in nice buses, and StX has the money like no other to do whatever they want. Specht knows he has a lot of young talent on the roster and he is going to showcase it.
The Bombers play Cathedral Week 3 next year

The Bombers play Cathedral Week 3 next year
Next year's schedule looking good
Week 1 at Lakota West
Week 2 at Centerville
Week 3 Cathedral
Week 4 Withrow
Week 5 Evil Empire
Week 6 at Elder
Week 7 at Trinity
Week 8 at LaSalle
Week 9 St. Ignatius
Week 10 ??????

Trips to Centerville (1 hour) and Louisville (1.5 hours)
Assume Week 10 at Ballaban for 5 home and 5 away

good to see Cathedral back on the schedule. Notice it is a home game
Didn't check into it so not certain they play Cathedral week 3 and if they do where.
Was going by what zipline-tim posted and was assuming that if they are playing that X wouldn't schedule to start next season with 3 away games. We'll see

I noticed Cathedral is still playing their home games at Arlington. That field at the time was terrible. I remember Brogan twisting his ankle early in the game because he stepped in a huge hole and there were also two OL that got injured stepping in holes on the field. Hopefully Cathedral has put the money into the field to improve the playing surface and have to assume this is why the two schools have not played for a several seasons.

I noticed Cathedral is still playing their home games at Arlington. That field at the time was terrible. I remember Brogan twisting his ankle early in the game because he stepped in a huge hole and there were also two OL that got injured stepping in holes on the field. Hopefully Cathedral has put the money into the field to improve the playing surface and have to assume this is why the two schools have not played for a several seasons.
That was a cow pasture. If you could see how awful it was on the broadcast, I can only imagine how bad it was to play on

Next year's schedule looking good
Week 1 at Lakota West
Week 2 at Centerville
Week 3 Cathedral
Week 4 Withrow
Week 5 Evil Empire
Week 6 at Elder
Week 7 at Trinity
Week 8 at LaSalle
Week 9 St. Ignatius
Week 10 ??????

Trips to Centerville (1 hour) and Louisville (1.5 hours)
Assume Week 10 at Ballaban for 5 home and 5 away
No rematch with Detroit MLK or the team from Tennessee next year?

No rematch with Detroit MLK or the team from Tennessee next year?
The MLK thing was part of an "event" and so I didn't expect that to be a home and home. We took advantage of things like that at the Herbie and Skyline for years (and I think that Prattville game was something like that as well). Hard for us to complain about going away for one of those one or two times with no return date.

Don't know about McCallie but guessing we were desperate for a good game and took a one-off there too. The one that sticks in my craw is the canceled return game from our Jesuit brethren in Chicago. I would hope we get that one paid back someday but I am not holding my breath...

The MLK thing was part of an "event" and so I didn't expect that to be a home and home. We took advantage of things like that at the Herbie and Skyline for years (and I think that Prattville game was something like that as well). Hard for us to complain about going away for one of those one or two times with no return date.

Don't know about McCallie but guessing we were desperate for a good game and took a one-off there too. The one that sticks in my craw is the canceled return game from our Jesuit brethren in Chicago. I would hope we get that one paid back someday but I am not holding my breath...
I forgot that the Detriot game was part of an event. Hopefully, there is a return game with the TN team in the future. You are right that the Chicago team will probably never make the trip to St.X.

Pretty sure StX has a broker that calls on them to play a lot of these out of state teams. Only home and home games for out of state to be expected are with the schools in IN/KY

Really bad match up for the X defense tonight. The base 3-3-5 puts the db's in tough spots a lot, and against a talented passing team like this, that is exploited. Good lesson game so far.

McCallie's QB is a big kid, and navigates through pressure well to step up and make plays. That ability is negating X's front 6 pressure.