OHSAA Expands Football 7-on-7 Opportunities

Would be interesting to hear actual opinions from high school football coaches.
The Columbus Dispatch ran a story with opinions from current Central Ohio coaches. It was split about 50/50 from the coaches they talked to.

The Columbus Dispatch ran a story with opinions from current Central Ohio coaches. It was split about 50/50 from the coaches they talked to.
I guess it'd be too much to hope for that one of the rags around here would do the same. I don't much care what Columbus area coaches think, I want to hear from Stark/Summit coaches.

Then let me re-phrase; I'm not calling him selfish because of WHAT he was trying to accomplish, rather I'm calling him that because of HOW he went about it. If I'm his coach or a college coach, that's a huge red flag for me. (Also, not that it matters, but I'm also easily in the younger half of the posters on here)

If there's a way to limit the coaching of these 7v7 teams to actual high school coaches and keep out the types you mention in your second sentence, then I'd be much more supportive of this. However, that's likely easier said than done.
You are trolling right? You are not being serious.

No, he's selfish because he exposed himself to be a problem teammate and a potential hassle for coaches, because he's shown where his priorities lie. If he really wanted to advance his career in that way, then he could have just moved rather than try to buck the system. If I were a coach, I wouldn't want this kid anywhere near my team.
I know a couple kids who play at Shaker. They get along with Trey just fine. If you do have any inside information contrary to what I have heard. My info comes from outgoing seniors on the team.

Old anonymous man calling a kid who stayed at Shaker and just want to compete during his offseason selfish is fucced up and I should be able to spell it out in this instance. Despicable people on this forum man wow
Yeah that was out of line. Especially if he isn't from Shaker. My cousins son was a senior at Shaker this year. His best friend is the senior QB. I heard great things about McNutt. Maybe Reagan Austin James has better sources.

Yeah that was out of line. Especially if he isn't from Shaker. My cousins son was a senior at Shaker this year. His best friend is the senior QB. I heard great things about McNutt. Maybe Reagan Austin James has better sources.
He doesn't claim to have better sources, what he has is an opinion, which he's entitled to. When he mentions the kid possibly as a problem teammate I believe he's speaking about his future college career if there is one. I think he's wrong because of the way things are in college athletics now, but thats MY opinion.

I found out what 7 on 7 looks like in the south and here is the deal. HS football coaches have to pay a third party passing league money per player and coaches as well. That allows the team to practice all winter until spring ball. They play in passing league tournaments on weekends. While that goes on, players also can play on AAU type 7 on 7 teams and that is where illegal recruiting goes on and AAU coaches try to steal players from other teams. SHADY money maker deal. Just let the Ohio kids have a 2 week period at end of May to play 7 on 7 with hs teams in a few tournaments. Problem solved .

I found out what 7 on 7 looks like in the south and here is the deal. HS football coaches have to pay a third party passing league money per player and coaches as well. That allows the team to practice all winter until spring ball. They play in passing league tournaments on weekends. While that goes on, players also can play on AAU type 7 on 7 teams and that is where illegal recruiting goes on and AAU coaches try to steal players from other teams. SHADY money maker deal. Just let the Ohio kids have a 2 week period at end of May to play 7 on 7 with hs teams in a few tournaments. Problem solved .
How does AAU coaches poaching from other AAU coaches negatively affect high school teams? Kids in the south allowed to practice all winter and spring if they want…and people wonder why they’re so good lol

How does AAU coaches poaching from other AAU coaches negatively affect high school teams? Kids in the south allowed to practice all winter and spring if they want…and people wonder why they’re so good lol
The AAU 7 on 7 coaches help recruit for other schools they have connections to. So jimmy a WR plays for a AAU team and their coach connects him to another hs coach team and with open enrollment there, he switches to another school.

The AAU 7 on 7 coaches help recruit for other schools they have connections to. So jimmy a WR plays for a AAU team and their coach connects him to another hs coach team and with open enrollment there, he switches to another school.
And paying the kid to do so? I tend to think if that was a thing that Ohio coaches were interested in doing they would have their ways to contact and coerce such players the way things are now. The south has been “shady” when it comes to football for the past 100 years and the north has always been light years behind in those types of dealings

And paying the kid to do so? I tend to think if that was a thing that Ohio coaches were interested in doing they would have their ways to contact and coerce such players the way things are now. The south has been “shady” when it comes to football for the past 100 years and the north has always been light years behind in those types of dealings
Examples of coaches paying for rent or 100 dollar handshakes and the school gets like 17 transfers in one year.

transfer rules are a bit different in some of those states as well. However, at this point, the OHSAA will likely ease the eligibility rules for transfers too, well membership would have to vote on it....

transfer rules are a bit different in some of those states as well. However, at this point, the OHSAA will likely ease the eligibility rules for transfers too, well membership would have to vote on it....
Its only a matter of time when the state has open enrollment for all like some southern states.

Always thought one of the knocks on today’s kids was they didn’t want to work for anything. They want it all handed to them. Now some kids want to put In extra work and they are selfish and bad teammates.
I’m not sure why this was so hard to understand. The rule was that if you participated in offseason 7–on-7s you had to serve a suspension. The kid in question said he was going to do them anyway. Now, the rule has since been changed but if it hadn’t he would have been hurting his team by missing games.

He’s probably a great kid and maybe he viewed himself as a crusader out to change an antiquated rule. If so, kudos to him, but his initial action would have had a detrimental effect on his team.

The reason they banned it is the same reason they dont have spring ball in Ohio. It would keep students from playing other sports. Florida can do spring ball because baseball season and track are over by the time it rolls around unless team makes states.

The reason they banned it is the same reason they dont have spring ball in Ohio. It would keep students from playing other sports. Florida can do spring ball because baseball season and track are over by the time it rolls around unless team makes states.
Who cares. Give kids the choice to do the sports they want. Not everyone plays baseball and kids who play baseball won’t automatically quit to participate in some 7v7s. Do you also think that AAU basketball, summer and fall baseball, etc should be banned?

Who cares. Give kids the choice to do the sports they want. Not everyone plays baseball and kids who play baseball won’t automatically quit to participate in some 7v7s. Do you also think that AAU basketball, summer and fall baseball, etc should be banned?
While I agree with you, we are seeing more and more kids becoming one sport only athletes because they feel the pull of these coaches to focus on one sport all year. Such as kids who might be a baseball first type kids quitting football because they are being told by travel coaches or even HS coaches that they need to play fall ball or go to certain showcases during FB season to get a scholarship or even make the HS team. (now this is just one example and I am not trying to knock baseball, so don't crucify me baseball fans.)

Now we add in more of a travel FB type situation, does that affect basketball? Baseball? Track? I mean, at some point doesn't too much become bad for the athlete?

While I agree with you, we are seeing more and more kids becoming one sport only athletes because they feel the pull of these coaches to focus on one sport all year. Such as kids who might be a baseball first type kids quitting football because they are being told by travel coaches or even HS coaches that they need to play fall ball or go to certain showcases during FB season to get a scholarship or even make the HS team. (now this is just one example and I am not trying to knock baseball, so don't crucify me baseball fans.)

Now we add in more of a travel FB type situation, does that affect basketball? Baseball? Track? I mean, at some point doesn't too much become bad for the athlete?
The south states can do this because they the seasons do not overlap. Track and baseball end before spring football. The south has much bigger size schools so they can have more one sport athletes without it ruining other sports.

The south states can do this because they the seasons do not overlap. Track and baseball end before spring football. The south has much bigger size schools so they can have more one sport athletes without it ruining other sports.
Spring football isn’t strictly a southern thing

true but some southern states take it to another level. They are in pads for like 20 days with a scrimmage against another team. That more padded practices than spring football in college.
Yeah but that’s not even on the table in Ohio. Adding the option to participate in some 7v7s is a far cry from implementing Florida level spring football

Yeah but that’s not even on the table in Ohio. Adding the option to participate in some 7v7s is a far cry from implementing Florida level spring football
I would rather have a team sponsored and coaches 7 on 7 period the last 2 weeks of May or let teams participate in one tournament a month with 1 practice a week during off season instead of AAU crap type teams.

I would rather have a team sponsored and coaches 7 on 7 period the last 2 weeks of May or let teams participate in one tournament a month with 1 practice a week during off season instead of AAU crap type teams.
How do you know it will be AAU type teams? The ohsaa is letting high school coaches participate

I think it evens the playing filed. Basketball and Baseball play damn near year round and football never had any options at all. Kids LOVE 7 on 7. It may help football get more kids out for their HS teams which I think is a positive.

Good news, Ohio has fallen so behind in football compared to the southeastern states. This at least gets some momentum going again