Ohio Heritage Conference

shoprat2

Watched G’view at Central Friday night. Rams won 60-53,the game was close all the way thru. The Irish led late in the third quarter. While the game was close and exciting the quality of of play left much to be desired from both teams. An old guy like me can remember when Central was known for its guards and taking care of the ball. Coaches like Tony Vedova or Tim Sullivan would be sick at the number of turnovers. The Irish weren’t alone in that category though the Rams didn’t do much better and their free throws were not very good either.
Both teams are young though the Irish starters were 2 sophomore’s and three juniors with the subs being underclassmen. The Rams are mostly young also and maybe that explains some of the mistakes. I was told that most of the league is in the same boat which explains why the Irish have been in close games.

The South looks like it could be a good 3-4 team race this year. Cedarville having the edge so far!

The North looks to be a 2 team race with Fairbanks and West Liberty-Salem (they play tomorrow night at WL)

The OHC is waaay down relative to the prior 3-4 years. A lot of the usual suspects that have been consistently solid to really good have a lot of youth and/or inexperience this season.

Cedarville ought to win the South. I'd favor Fairbanks in the North.

Irish lose another,this time too Shawnee 60-49. Again Irish were in the game got down made a late run and came up short. Shawnee might be the best team in the county for what it’s worth. Likely to contend with NU for the Division. Braves are big,strong and deep. One guy 6’7 but about 6 others around 6’2 or 6’3 and several bull strong. They will be a handful for most teams on the schedule.

Cedarville comes to Central tonight and dominates. Didn’t get final score,Irish were playing so poorly I bailed out early. Indians deserve credit for some of the poor play by Central. Cedarville looks like a real contender for league title with W L-Sand Fairbanks. Indians have one starter under six foot and all five are seniors with more size and experience on the bench.

Irish have another roller coaster outing. A strong first half behind Keegan Guenther had the Irish ahead after 16 minutes against Northwestern but the second half saw more of the same issues that have plagued Central all year,unforced turnovers and poor shooting. One sequence in the fourth quarter as the Irish were only down four stood out. The first play was a bad call by the refs,Irish bringing ball up the floor NW went for steal knocking ball out of play but none of the three refs saw what happened so it goes to jump ball ,NW possession and Warriors scored going up six. Next two play’s Irish break press but running out of control throw bad pass and Warriors come back and score so in middle of 4 quarter what had been 4 point game became 10 point and your chasing the game with time running out. With the big kid inside the Irish can be a pretty good defensive team. But offensively they must eliminate the silly turnovers,do better shooting free throw and find some outside shooting.

Saw a surprising score,SE went into WL-S and came out with the win.Just when I had the Tigers pegged as a dark horse for best team in the league after Fairbanks they do this at home .

Beginning to think Cedarville might be the best team in the league.
Saw them play early and they looked pretty down. Is there dominance in the league a product of them being better than I thought or the league really down? The win over SE was good but the rest of the wins are over teams having pretty bad seasons. The next two games against WLS and Fairbanks will tell a lot.

Generally I think the league is down. Central is young,SE is young,G’view is young and I think Greenon and some others are also young. WL-S has some seniors and I believe Fairbanks also is experienced. C’ville is also young but has maybe the best coaching in the league. But overall the league is down but that’s basically due to inexperience.

Generally I think the league is down. Central is young,SE is young,G’view is young and I think Greenon and some others are also young. WL-S has some seniors and I believe Fairbanks also is experienced. C’ville is also young but has maybe the best coaching in the league. But overall the league is down but that’s basically due to inexperience.

WLS and Fairbanks both have a lot of juniors leading them...they should battle each other for the North the next 2 years. Then the North could be wide open! Typically whichever team goes through the South the best has won the conference the last few years. (Fairbanks winning the North 4 out of last 5 years). They match back up at Fairbanks on Feb 9...have a feeling that will be for the North title!

The last few years, the South has had loads more athletes and talent than the North. Cedarville seems to have by far the most talented / potential college level players this year. Cedarville gets WLS tonight and at Fairbanks Friday...we should find out a lot about the OHC this week!
Cedarville being D4 has a good chance to make a regional run once post season starts.

Are there any individual players in the OHC this year or coming up that can play D2+ in college?

WLS and Fairbanks both have a lot of juniors leading them...they should battle each other for the North the next 2 years. Then the North could be wide open! Typically whichever team goes through the South the best has won the conference the last few years. (Fairbanks winning the North 4 out of last 5 years). They match back up at Fairbanks on Feb 9...have a feeling that will be for the North title!

The last few years, the South has had loads more athletes and talent than the North. Cedarville seems to have by far the most talented / potential college level players this year. Cedarville gets WLS tonight and at Fairbanks Friday...we should find out a lot about the OHC this week!
Cedarville being D4 has a good chance to make a regional run once post season starts.

Are there any individual players in the OHC this year or coming up that can play D2+ in college?
The Longwood kid at WL-S might be the single best player this year in the league. But I’m not sure he’s anymore than a D3 possibility at best. Central has a 6’4 post good defender and rebounds well but that is not enough for much more than D3 anymore.

Central 52 beats Triad 41 in the Russ Guenther gym tonight. Game was tied at 13 after one quarter. The Irish slowly pulled away after that. I say slowly because 2 quarter was awful. Took almost 5 minutes for anyone to score,those five minutes were an exercise in turnovers and bad shots. Eventually the Irish pulled away before half topping it off with a nice play by Keegan Guenther at the buzzer. He scored on a put- back and made the free throw standing alone on the court. Guenther led the Irish in scoring with 18 all inside and on stick backs with several free throws. Feasel led the Cardinals with 12 all on 3 points shots. That was the only offense Triad had all night. They gave up size and athleticism to Central so the Irish dominated inside. Triad tried to move the ball around,hit some threes and then go inside. But they just weren’t very successful in the lane getting a lot of shot’s blocked and missing the other times they were open. Central goes to West Lib Friday night in a major test against a team with size and experience.

WL-S has just one senior. Super young team overall starting 1 senior, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores. Looking at the program in general, it looks like WLS basketball is in a really good place for the foreseeable future.

Tigers beat Cedarville last night. Not sure if we can call the Southeastern loss a fluke, but WLS seems to be the real deal (comparatively speaking to the rest of the OHC).

I will push back a little bit, Cedarville has a very slim chance of making it to regionals this season. With the new sectional they are in with Russia/Troy Christian/Botkins/Bradford/Franklin Monroe/Jackson Center/Legacy Ch/Lehman. You are looking at having to beat at least two or three of those to get to a Regional. Not impossible, but unlikely and definitely not a "good chance".

Just read a story from the Xenia paper on the Cedarville- WL-S game. Sounded like a real interesting game with the blown lead by the Tigers,the tech fouls late on C’ville and then the tight finish. Is it fair to say that the Tigers go as the big guy goes?
I do know I am done calling someone the best in the league,too many ups and downs.

OHSAA posted RPI rankings. Cedarville is ranked 4 in their region with SE a few spots behind. In the North sectional Lima Catholic is on top. I don’t believe that the ratings include last nights games and the Indians loss to WL-S.

OHSAA posted RPI rankings. Cedarville is ranked 4 in their region with SE a few spots behind. In the North sectional Lima Catholic is on top. I don’t believe that the ratings include last nights games and the Indians loss to WL-S.
The RPI has Cedarville at 10-2 which matches their record on the OHC site.

Just heard two scores for tonight,Irish lose at WL-S 56-40. Irish big man Zack Thompson missed game with what might be COVID..Other score Fairbanks beats Cedarville 39-37.

Fairbanks wins at Central tonight 56-30. Low note on the night they had a player #5 Green get hurt in a scramble,fall to the floor and had squad take him to hospital. Every one was wishing him well and Central principal led the gym in prayer for his well being. In other games tonight WL-S and G’view also won league games.

I’ve never heard an athletic event that quiet. People were really scared because everyone saw him hit his head on the floor. Then his behavior and the way the medics treated him everyone knew it was serious and likely a concussion. I was proud that everyone from Central treated him with respect and concern. He was receiving treatment within 30 seconds of going down. After the delay both teams were given the option of finishing the game the next day. Fairbanks wanted to play right away so they did. Fairbanks showed why they have such a shiny record. I hope they get the respect they deserve in the Central district.
In another matter the Irish went north to the ‘Burg tonight. They pulled out an overtime win against the Indians 52-44.

Greenon 50
Catholic Central 32
Disappointing performance by the Irish. Knights lead from start to finish and seemed to want the game more. The biggest difference was Greenon ability to hit a couple of three’s. They might have only made about ten percent but the Irish only made one and didn’t score inside because the Knights sent five to the boards not fearing any outside shooting. Also Greenon slowed the game down on offense and Central had no answer there. Bottom line if the Irish play like this against Southeastern they might get run out of the gym.The Bowman kid(#20) for Greenon is a nice player. Handeled the ball well goo defender,nice shot as a junior he could make some noise in the league next year.

Last edited: