Ohio Heritage Conference 2024

It’s an interesting rabbit hole. The one year that jumped out to me was 2016. Indian Lake was 10-0 with Alex Jacobs. He was Lee Yoder (WLS ‘05) but a better athlete.

CalPreps has Lake by 18 over WLS but losing by 2 to Burg.
IL beats WLS easily that year. BL beat WLS by 14 and IL beat BL by 19. IL vs. Burg would be must-see TV. Jacobs vs Romero with a plethora of skill kids around both.

Reactions: bcw
Remember for most of WCOC life only 2 teams made playoff from regions ...not sure the yr it went to 4 ...
84/85 yr burg went 9-1 and missed playoffs
Not digging into this ...lol

Imo you could make a really solid conference with the OHC North and CBC MRD.. IL, Graham, NW, BL, Urbana, North Union? Then add in Triad, WLS, Mechanicsburg, Fairbanks and either Greenon or WJ. Schools all of similar enrollment (Urbana would be the biggest), and would be competitive in every sport with a reasonable amount of travel outside of maybe a Greenon to North Union.

Is it more likely for the OHC to drop SCC or just add 2 more teams to the league??
Until SCC fails to field teams in sports, I don’t see them getting dropped. There isn’t another available school that offers so much more that it would be worth burning the bridge with the Irish. The obvious answer is Riverside (and I think mutual interest), but overall, while probably an overall upgrade, they’re not a big enough upgrade to ruffle those feathers. Just MO though.

When are you going to quit grinding that axe? You’ve done it long enough now that it’s down to a nubbin. I don’t know why you have such a hate for Central,maybe because Mr. Wagner pulled his sons and your still hurt or maybe it goes back farther. But it’s time to let it go.

When are you going to quit grinding that axe? You’ve done it long enough now that it’s down to a nubbin. I don’t know why you have such a hate for Central,maybe because Mr. Wagner pulled his sons and your still hurt or maybe it goes back farther. But it’s time to let it go.
that was a realistic answer and has nothing to do with an axe to grind. the fact is SCC is on the fringe of being able to field certain sports. while i think it is less than likely of happening, the OHC dropping them due to inability to field certain sports, etc seems more realistic than the league going away from 12 members (the perfect number)

Until SCC fails to field teams in sports, I don’t see them getting dropped. There isn’t another available school that offers so much more that it would be worth burning the bridge with the Irish. The obvious answer is Riverside (and I think mutual interest), but overall, while probably an overall upgrade, they’re not a big enough upgrade to ruffle those feathers. Just MO though.
i agree that i don’t think the OHC would drop SCC in the current state, but there is path to it happening, although not likely. but seems more likely than the league going to 14 teams when 12 is the perfect number.

that was a realistic answer and has nothing to do with an axe to grind. the fact is SCC is on the fringe of being able to field certain sports. while i think it is less than likely of happening, the OHC dropping them due to inability to field certain sports, etc seems more realistic than the league going away from 12 members (the perfect number)
Ok fair enough. It just feels like you have a personal grudge. You say no and I’ll take you at your word. I’m sure you can believe it bothers me to see kids of players I supported at Central playing for KR or Shawnee. But my main concern is watching the student population continue to grow enough to support the school. Progress is being made numbers are creeping up. I really think our community is better for having as many alternative as possible,both religious and secular. Ok off the soapbox. Have a good week everyone.

Ok fair enough. It just feels like you have a personal grudge. You say no and I’ll take you at your word. I’m sure you can believe it bothers me to see kids of players I supported at Central playing for KR or Shawnee. But my main concern is watching the student population continue to grow enough to support the school. Progress is being made numbers are creeping up. I really think our community is better for having as many alternative as possible,both religious and secular. Ok off the soapbox. Have a good week everyone.
while i have no grudge, i may have some negative opinions on some antics i’ve seen from SCC within the last few years. i try to keep those opinions away from here because that’s not what this place is for. a healthy SCC is good for the OHC and its members, so i would love to see them get back on track. i am all for alternative options for education.

also, i was not yet invested in Greenon or OHC football back when Brian Wagner played. care to explain what you were referring to with Wagners dad pulling his kids? are you referring to pulling them for Greenon? you seem to know everything SCC related and would appreciate some back story on this.

My understanding was that Mr Wagner took his sons out of Greenon over disagreement with the coaches at Greenon about the best way to use the boys. However the biggest issue was wrestling,at Greenon he would not be able to coach the boys. Central needed wrestling coaches, he wanted to coach wrestling. It filled a need for both parties but many Greenon people were upset losing an All-State level player. BTW Brian Wagner had one of the most unique plays. Irish were at Stebbins in a league game,Stebbins had two running backs that started D1 and played NFL. The Irish were playing with them and on the last play of the first half Wagner has a long run and is being tacked lunges for the end zone knowing time is out. He scores tieing the game at half. But on the lunge his leg is twisted hurting his knee and ankle, without him the Irish can’t keep up. But that was the type of player he was with that effort.

Stebbins had a RB that played for the 49ers out of Ohio Northern but he’s older than me. Probably mid 40s. Who are these other two studs you speak of?

The only Stebbins RB I can think of that played in the NFL was Robertson and he graduated HS in 1997...Wagner would have graduated in 2008. As far as I can remember, Wagner played CYO from his 5th grade year on, so the split from Greenon would have occurred way before he got to HS. I believe he had a brother that played at SCC before him.

Looks like only one NFL player graduated from Stebbins. Link: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/high_schools.cgi?id=93bfb0c9

I think he must be thinking of someone other than Stebbins. Wagner was at SCC 04-07. Stebbins was in the CBC and “dog water.”

Unless he’s thinking of someone other than Brian Wagner? SCC has played Stebbins 4 times (93,94,95 & 96). Which makes sense with Robertson. They were both in the SW Rivers Conference those 4 years.

Last edited:
There were two Wagner brothers and this was in the old Three Rivers Conference. Stebbins had two stud backs but I could be wrong about both playing pro. I recalled this off the top of my head so I could be wrong about some details but I was at Stebbins that night standing by that end zone. I knew without Wagner we couldn’t win although it stayed close. I also knew Stebbins wasn’t going to win the league despite having the best talent. Versailles had the best coaching and best team and it wasn’t close.Btw I played in the 60’s helmets weren’t as good sometimes the details get fuzzy. One of the things I admire about Pete Rose is his ability to recall details about games and even specific at bats like piitch counts and pitches.

Last edited:
I knew an Eric Wagner. He was a late 90s SCC guy. My teammate, Brandon Hoylman, pinned him at Districts in 1998. I listened to Jeff Jordan say that Hoylman should win the state tourney during State prep practices at Graham. Wagner placed 5th and Hoylman didn’t place…….Gross, but that’s the way it goes. Hoylman is probably the best WLS football player no one would ever remember.

I knew an Eric Wagner. He was a late 90s SCC guy. My teammate, Brandon Hoylman, pinned him at Districts in 1998. I listened to Jeff Jordan say that Hoylman should win the state tourney during State prep practices at Graham. Wagner placed 5th and Hoylman didn’t place…….Gross, but that’s the way it goes. Hoylman is probably the best WLS football player no one would ever remember.
dude could absolutely stick people lol

dude could absolutely stick people lol
There was a wrestling coach at Greenon in the early 2000s, I believe went to to WL-S (if I remember he was the Vice Principle of IV). My friend's kid wrestled for him at Indian Valley and Greenon. He would talk about this coach and the stories he had growing up with the Dernlans and wrestling in their garage. I cannot remember that coaches name but he was a stand up good guy and I believe he did a lot for the Greenon wrestling program...

There was a wrestling coach at Greenon in the early 2000s, I believe went to to WL-S (if I remember he was the Vice Principle of IV). My friend's kid wrestled for him at Indian Valley and Greenon. He would talk about this coach and the stories he had growing up with the Dernlans and wrestling in their garage. I cannot remember that coaches name but he was a stand up good guy and I believe he did a lot for the Greenon wrestling program...
That was before my time, plus I was an import from Illinois. But bcw may know who you're talking about. I think the Dernlan brothers were from mid-80's-early 90's?

I’m not sure who that would be. The first Dernlan, Jeff, graduated in about 1985 or 86. Then Steve a couple years later. Matt was a 91 grad and Tim 93. 10 state titles amongst them. Matt never lost after wrestling up as a Frosh. Tim won his first 100 or so matches before losing at Medina then State as a Junior. Their coach, Eric Harman, was the Assistant by the time we came thru. Later he served as my assistant Coach at Bellefontaine. He is a unique and amazing man.

Wls_color and bcw, thanks, and sorry for taxing your memories, :ROFLMAO: (y).. I texted my buddy and he said it was Luke Everhart. Again, I dont know if he was a WLS grad but he did have stories of the Dernlan garage wrestling workouts.

Surprise teams or teams that will take a step back this year in the league?
This is an interesting and good question. Surprise teams??? The one thing about this conference are the stalwarts and there may not be any surprises. Yet?.....

WJ, WLS, Burg, GV, I suspect those teams to press on.

Oddly, 2018-2020, NE was the laughing stock of the conference during this timeframe and here they are. J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets...I love the QB with a RB number and I see an upswing for them come this season. Maybe the Jets win the division? Can they beat WJ?. I will throw NE into the mix for the North and that gives 4 of the 6 that could make a push and who knows what Fairbanks could bring to the table with Coach Carroll at the helm.... I am loving the North and IMO, the CBC PeeWee division would be hard pressed to break 0.500 with this line up..

If I had to guess for the South, Greenon may be on the upswing as they had a ton of frosh and sophs last year with a core coming back this year. I believe they have a good coach in place and a system to succeed but as the old saying goes, Greenon, is Greenon. Honestly, I see them competing in the South and may give GV a run for their money.

I also like SCC, I have no idea of their future numbers but seeing them play last year, I love their grit. IMO, SCC is what the OHC is about, small school nasty that gives all. There is something about SCC and I am not ready to give up on them.

IMO, the South belongs to GV, the North that should be WJ but they'll have a tough row to hoe....

This is an interesting and good question. Surprise teams??? The one thing about this conference are the stalwarts and there may not be any surprises. Yet?.....

WJ, WLS, Burg, GV, I suspect those teams to press on.

Oddly, 2018-2020, NE was the laughing stock of the conference during this timeframe and here they are. J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets...I love the QB with a RB number and I see an upswing for them come this season. Maybe the Jets win the division? Can they beat WJ?. I will throw NE into the mix for the North and that gives 4 of the 6 that could make a push and who knows what Fairbanks could bring to the table with Coach Carroll at the helm.... I am loving the North and IMO, the CBC PeeWee division would be hard pressed to break 0.500 with this line up..

If I had to guess for the South, Greenon may be on the upswing as they had a ton of frosh and sophs last year with a core coming back this year. I believe they have a good coach in place and a system to succeed but as the old saying goes, Greenon, is Greenon. Honestly, I see them competing in the South and may give GV a run for their money.

I also like SCC, I have no idea of their future numbers but seeing them play last year, I love their grit. IMO, SCC is what the OHC is about, small school nasty that gives all. There is something about SCC and I am not ready to give up on them.

IMO, the South belongs to GV, the North that should be WJ but they'll have a tough row to hoe....
Greenon is going to need another year then they may give Greeneview a run.. going .500 this year will be an uphill battle..

My understanding was that Mr Wagner took his sons out of Greenon over disagreement with the coaches at Greenon about the best way to use the boys. However the biggest issue was wrestling,at Greenon he would not be able to coach the boys. Central needed wrestling coaches, he wanted to coach wrestling. It filled a need for both parties but many Greenon people were upset losing an All-State level player. BTW Brian Wagner had one of the most unique plays. Irish were at Stebbins in a league game,Stebbins had two running backs that started D1 and played NFL. The Irish were playing with them and on the last play of the first half Wagner has a long run and is being tacked lunges for the end zone knowing time is out. He scores tieing the game at half. But on the lunge his leg is twisted hurting his knee and ankle, without him the Irish can’t keep up. But that was the type of player he was with that effort.
The play you’re thinking about is Brad Tillman (another ex Greenon guy) not a Wagner. The Stebbins backs were Riz Buckman and Jamal Robertson. That was a huge game against 2 top ranked teams in the state. After that injury Tillman and SCC were never the same.

Fwiw, Buckman played for a few years at Ohio and Robertson at ONU. I think Buckman dabbled in semipro and/or arena league after OU. Robertson, as it has already been mentioned, played professionally in NFL Europe, the CFL and to steal a baseball term had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Hard to believe a school as large as Stebbins played SCC and Versailles. Their playoff hopes were essentially dashed before the opening kickoff when each year barring an undefeated season in the four team days per region days.