McSurley out at Clinton Massie

Irwin20

Heard about this, my wife is a “friend“of his daughter on FB, over a week ago. Thought someone from CM might have posted this by now. Apparently the district cut a bunch of teaching jobs. Haven’t heard if there was a chance he would stick around as a coach .

Last edited:

Heard about this, my wife is a “friend“of his daughter on FB, over a week ago. Thought someone from CM might have posted this by now. Apparently the district cut a bunch of teaching jobs. Haven’t heard if there was a chance he would stick around as a coach .
My Massie friend has said his teaching contract was not renewed as CM is getting rid of double dippers. No actual word on him retaining the coaching position though. My friend did relay that McSorley previously imparted that coaching was tied to his teaching position. Sounds like Massie is in a little financial difficulty.

My Massie friend has said his teaching contract was not renewed as CM is getting rid of double dippers. No actual word on him retaining the coaching position though. My friend did relay that McSorley previously imparted that coaching was tied to his teaching position. Sounds like Massie is in a little financial difficulty.
There was a thread on this the day it broke- News Journal ran an article on it too.
The district seems to have a need to cut 8 teaching positions. Because he’s retire-rehire, the contract says he goes first. The way I understand it, he’s cheaper on the district as a teacher because they don’t pay benefits on someone who is retired. They just pay a salary and when you retire/rehire, you start back to like “step 5” on the scale?

I think they’re in deep trouble financially. The BOE and previous Super are to blame but that guy took off when he saw it coming and the BOE doesn’t answer to anyone (except the voters) but it doesn’t matter if you lose your seat- you’re not out anything really.

Something stinks here. I’m not sure how you get rid of a Hall of Famer and the only reason that the school is relevant. He hasn’t officially resigned yet and my guess is that they miraculously find something to keep him around. Doesn’t look good though. Might be an interesting few months in Clinton county.

This linked thread is now locked, but the first post and the last post both shed a little bit of light on the subject:

Something stinks here. I’m not sure how you get rid of a Hall of Famer and the only reason that the school is relevant. He hasn’t officially resigned yet and my guess is that they miraculously find something to keep him around. Doesn’t look good though. Might be an interesting few months in Clinton county.

There was a thread on this the day it broke- News Journal ran an article on it too.
The district seems to have a need to cut 8 teaching positions. Because he’s retire-rehire, the contract says he goes first. The way I understand it, he’s cheaper on the district as a teacher because they don’t pay benefits on someone who is retired. They just pay a salary and when you retire/rehire, you start back to like “step 5” on the scale?

I think they’re in deep trouble financially. The BOE and previous Super are to blame but that guy took off when he saw it coming and the BOE doesn’t answer to anyone (except the voters) but it doesn’t matter if you lose your seat- you’re not out anything really.

It does stink, just let the man finish out his coaching career.

Massie is a very tight school district financially. They don’t spend money on much. That’s why their outdoor facility looks like it does. They get in a pinch financially and they still don’t even ask for a levy. They just start cutting corners. They’ve passed one levy in 30+ years.

Shame that this didn’t happen when Middletown was still open. Possibly he knew this was coming and decided if he had to end his career it was going to be at CM and he didn’t want to go anywhere else.

If true, I hate to hear this. McSurley has built Clinton Massie into one of the best smaller division schools in the state. Year in and year out, CM is always something to be reckoned with and respected.

He wasn’t let go as the coach. They want him to stay.
Everything I could gather sounds like he wants to coach AND teach.
Okay, I guess, but if he’s a retire/rehire and the negotiated agreement says they’re the first to go, I’m not sure there’s an option to keep him as a teacher.

It does stink, just let the man finish out his coaching career.
In the local paper of record, The Wilmington News Journal article about McSurley and his situation the Superintendent was adamant that they want him to remain as coach. Unfortunately they had no choice about his teaching position because the contract states retire-rehires are the first out in a reduction of force situation. McSurley also stated that he was willing to teach at another school and still coach there. Unfortunately the rural nature of the district may not make that feasible.

Okay, I guess, but if he’s a retire/rehire and the negotiated agreement says they’re the first to go, I’m not sure there’s an option to keep him as a teacher.
I think you’re correct, which is why I think there’s a chance he teaches elsewhere and stays the coach at Massie.

There’s nothing that says they can’t pay him as a building sub, or some sort of aide role.
I don’t believe he will end up elsewhere coaching… but I could be wrong.

With all the drama going on in Xenia with their HC... If I'm Xenia i'm cutting ties with that guy immediately and I"m heading down 380 to make my next hire!!

It could take longer than McSurlley has in him to start over. Part of what makes Massie successful is the culture and pipeline created by his success. Not easy to do in a short period of time. They run the same playbook from peewee through HS. This is why their mechanized blocking schemes work so well and are so well executed. You have to have the culture in a small school to attract most male students to the program as you need the depth to punch above weight.

that said, I would not be at all surprised if we do not see a bond levy and this in part is the headline they need to garner the support they will need. The district is largely rural and adverse to tax increases. Support for the Massie program is very deep though. Just like districts that cut bussing and put modular class rooms in the front of their buildings

I was told they weren't able to play on their field next season for safety issues. I believe they had multiple injuries last season. It's really sad a school district allows that to happen to a once pretty nice athletic program.

As a Blanchester alum, it sucks to see CM going thru the same crap Blanchester has been going through.

I was told they weren't able to play on their field next season for safety issues. I believe they had multiple injuries last season. It's really sad a school district allows that to happen to a once pretty nice athletic program.
What’s wrong with the field? Holes?