Lake Catholic player plays game with Swatiska on leg

That was my initial thought. But given it was a teenager, and most make really f**king dumb mistakes from time to time, I went with the leg. Lol.

Heck, I was just thinking about the 10 year class reunion. "Hey guys, remember that time we played Orange?"

But yea, he could always get that tat removed. :ROFLMAO:

Well, you figured me out. I'm an arrogant Lake County resident who is envious of those who can afford to send their children to fine institutions of learning and instruction like Lake Catholic High School and make a better life for themselves, while my unfortunate offspring will languish in the mean streets of Mentor, Ohio. I'm happy to see that you found the courage and means necessary to move on from this pit of despair. Are you one of the lucky ones who made it to the open pastures east? Perhaps Leroy or Thompson? Or, did you move to the thriving communities south of us in Columbus and now enjoy the manicured lawns and stepford community of New Albany? Either way, please remember us each year at the holidays when you have a little extra and your cup is overflowing....

There's no sidestepping that the documentary you posted illuminates a terrible series of events; heartbreaking loss and tragedy. This problem is not unique to Mentor High School however and bullying, as destructive as it is to the victim, is a human behavior, not a Mentor epidemic.

In my opinion, the issue of the player wearing the swastika is prominent for a variety of reasons. The school that the player is from, the fact that a parent came to his defense versus abruptly removing his misguided tail, and the fact that other Lake Catholic spectators were chanting antisemitic slurs. The actions of this Lake Catholic athlete cannot be made to be a Mentor or Lake County issue because Lake Catholic is a school that pulls students from all of northeast Ohio, and again, this player and his family do not reside in Mentor.
Dude, I’m middle aged now and this has been an issue since I was in school. Instead of making excuses perhaps you and the other bigots there should realize you have a problem and you should be embarrassed.

Dude, I’m middle aged now and this has been an issue since I was in school. Instead of making excuses perhaps you and the other bigots there should realize you have a problem and you should be embarrassed.
Hey Bukka...I mean Calibuki. You don't know me at all - how can you call me a bigot? I have not made any excuses for the behavior for which this thread was create to discuss. I'm not sure what problem we have hear and should be embarrassed about other than perhaps raising some whiney little victims on occasion. But, the good news is that they don't last around here and they move away, where they might cry on the shoulder of someone who cares.

According to a PD article, the head coach told WKYC he arrived to the game midway through the first quarter and was unaware of the symbol on his player’s leg until an Orange coach mentioned it to him after the game. I get that many of these guys have jobs, but I found his late arrival a little odd.

According to a PD article, the head coach told WKYC he arrived to the game midway through the first quarter and was unaware of the symbol on his player’s leg until an Orange coach mentioned it to him after the game. I get that many of these guys have jobs, but I found his late arrival a little odd.

I just saw that as well - I agree, it's odd to think that the head coach would arrive that late for a game, especially a playoff game.

Apparently, he was the soccer coach as well, so they'll be scrambling to fill that position quickly.

Too bad he had to resign it doesn't seem like he was at fault, but I probably would too out of disgust. I suppose they will find someone else committed to changing the culture but that sounds like a job in itself.

I assume he couldn't have been at fault, since he wasn't even there at the start of the game, but that might also be why they forced him to resign - because he wasn't there at the start of the game. Our previous soccer coach was asked to resign a few years back when it was pointed out to the AD that, among other things, he was late to games and cancelling practices because he was busy with his full time job. It's hard when it's not your primary job, but if you sign on to do the job, you need to be there.

I am going to assume that the symbol was noticed during the game. As such, the coach is either lying or clueless as he clearly would or should have been aware of it during the game.

In terms of showing up late…some schools are so desperate for coaches they’ll take what they can get. Especially if there’s an arrangement that the assistant would coach in his absence. Lacrosse is a relatively new sport to Ohio in terms of participation at high numbers. We don’t have generations of ex players to draw into HS coaching yet.

Many schools can’t find a coach within their staff so the people they get have day jobs.

Is there a rule against what types of tatoos kids have? The team / school rules would apply regardless of if the head coach was there or not.

Could we see a day when kids are mic'd up so we can hear that they are saying to each other. Trash talking has gone on for generations.

Is there a rule against what types of tatoos kids have? The team / school rules would apply regardless of if the head coach was there or not.

As mentioned before, this wasn't a tattoo - it was face black applied at the game.

An update was posted - apparently, it was a prank done by one of the players who applied the swastikas to his teammates unknowingly:

On a side note: For what it's worth, I went and looked at my son's school handbook (he goes to a different Catholic HS) - no visible tattoos are permitted at all during the school day. I was curious, because my son's ex-girlfriend (a classmate) had a couple tattoos (to honor her late brother), but I guess she must wear socks or something to cover the one on her ankle.

As mentioned before, this wasn't a tattoo - it was face black applied at the game.

An update was posted - apparently, it was a prank done by one of the players who applied the swastikas to his teammates unknowingly:

On a side note: For what it's worth, I went and looked at my son's school handbook (he goes to a different Catholic HS) - no visible tattoos are permitted at all during the school day. I was curious, because my son's ex-girlfriend (a classmate) had a couple tattoos (to honor her late brother), but I guess she must wear socks or something to cover the one on her ankle.
Thanks for the update, there is normally a story behind these. These days most schools have some form of no tatoo, cover tatoo policy. Although I think you're going to see those change over the years as society adjusts. Remember the days when cashiers/ tellers and most service industry folks could not have tattoos? Now you're in the minority not having one.

How do you not know if a swastica is on your body? It's not like it's an X or O or something simple?

How do you not know if a swastica is on your body? It's not like it's an X or O or something simple?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. You would think that the player would wonder why his teammate was pressing the palm of his hand against his calf? The other two apparently realized what the teammate did and wiped it off, but the third one didn't realize it was on his leg? Odd.

I’m impressed by the openness in the response from the school. A lot of places would just wait out the news cycle and you’d never hear anything more.

That response is so Lake Catholic. I’m willing to bet parents threatened legal action or fundraising cutoffs and the school caved. Such crap. It’s no wonder the school has such a poor reputation and it’s enrollment has dropped so badly. This is literally the most uncatholic catholic school I know of.

I’m impressed by the openness in the response from the school. A lot of places would just wait out the news cycle and you’d never hear anything more.
I'm very impressed with the speed of the response from the school. Do I agree? Eh... My guess is because this is a private school it was handled differently. Public school you probably get more lawyers involved and the it's mum. To me this is a case of a practical joke gone bad. I just wonder if no one said a word from the jump that it would be an issue at all? I mean anyone is allowed to get a real swastica tatooed on them permanantly anytime if they want. Why is it a big deal because it's a school aged kid and part of a sports team.

The kid that stamped him is protecting him from justice. He knew what was on his own leg. Use your common sense here people.
Maybe Lake is attempting a rebrand of their school logo and this was a trial run?
Animated GIF

Wow. You know it’s bad when you can’t find ANYONE to coach.
There were many schools, with much less controversy, looking for coaches this season. No surprise that they couldn't find one. The boys will still get to play by playing for schools in their home districts.

I also see that Lake Catholic ditched their hockey program, when did this happen?
Given who the people are who PAY for high school...dumping hockey and lacrosse is not a good indicator. Ignatius has, I think, 12 hockey teams, and 9 lacrosse teams...ok, I'm exaggerating a bit.

Lake didn't ditch it. Vance never recruited for it. Now he coaches the Iggy 15u team. They have at least 5 teams for hockey this yr.

I also see that Lake Catholic ditched their hockey program, when did this happen?
lol only 5 years ago Auggie. It’s not news.

I also see that Benedictine has ditched the importance of sustaining enrollment, when did this happen?

lol only 5 years ago Auggie. It’s not news.

I also see that Benedictine has ditched the importance of sustaining enrollment, when did this happen?
The tribe is moving and Covid really hurt the school. I will agree that it is going to be tough sledding the next few years...