Kill Postseason Bowls

Whoever wins the Orange Bowl, what did they prove? It is an exhibition game with neither team giving it their best shot.
With all the players opting out it is a practice game to start the 2024 season.
These bowls, outside the Playoff, are basically an NFL preseason game. They're Spring games against an opponent instead of intra-squad. Some are entertaining (Clemson-UK), most are trash (OSU-Mizzou).

I’m damn sick and tired of these meaningless postseason non-playoff exhibition games masquerading as “important events”. Good players are correct to skip them: The game result means literally nothing!
Too much money made by sponsors to kill off bowl games.

And they are beneficial to the growth of a program and conference.

All of these can't be true....
  • these kids get interviewed many times and say "it's been a dream to play at (fill in college blank)" then transfer at the first sign of trouble.
  • we're all in this together, ride or die - then opt out of games at the end of the season for fear of injury
  • 10-25% of players opt out of college bowl games - then on the broadcast the announcers say it's a "big" game for both programs??
  • how do you coach teamwork and working together when you have a couple of player on the team making huge sums of money through the NIL?

I’m damn sick and tired of these meaningless postseason non-playoff exhibition games masquerading as “important events”. Good players are correct to skip them: The game result means literally nothing!

Most bowls should be killed off entirely. The big remaining legacy bowls like the NY6 games and others like the Alamo, Holiday, Gator, Citrus and Outback should instead be moved to Labor Day weekend during Week 1 of the season, with the prior season’s final results used to allocate marquee Week 1 matchups to these various bowls.

After Covid, no one can argue that “the schedules are set years in advance, we can’t change those.” BS. Make a TV marquee game in Week 1 an honor earned by your team’s prior-year performance.

And no, I don’t give a damn about the Tournament of Roses parade on Jan. 1. They can still have their parade on Jan. 1, but their game happens Labor Day weekend or they can kick rocks.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
LOL you posted this but now you are saying how great ND was vs a depleted Oregon State team. You wear hypocrite very well.

I always favored a six team playoff with 2 byes. 4 byes for the top of 12 makes a 4 week playoff ?

“Load management” will come to the NCAA schedule because of this, I think. Less pressure to win convincingly after a conference loss, for top teams. There will be more injuries now, regardless.

I would like to see the Bowls stay alive. It will always be a great way to end a college football career and season. We need big changes with the pro and pay NIL dynamic setting college players’ priorities, though.

Maybe the solution is to have non-playoff coaches bid for their own Bowl seeding ?

These venal bastards could even assemble the CFP rankings show staff for one more broadcast and sell commercials.

Last edited:
All of these can't be true....
  • these kids get interviewed many times and say "it's been a dream to play at (fill in college blank)" then transfer at the first sign of trouble.
  • we're all in this together, ride or die - then opt out of games at the end of the season for fear of injury
  • 10-25% of players opt out of college bowl games - then on the broadcast the announcers say it's a "big" game for both programs??
  • how do you coach teamwork and working together when you have a couple of player on the team making huge sums of money through the NIL

brave new world

A real, complete head football coach will be more valuable than ever.

I always favored a six team playoff with 2 byes. 4 byes for the top of 12 makes a 4 week playoff ?

“Load management” will come to the NCAA schedule because of this, I think. Less pressure to win convincingly after a conference loss, for top teams. There will be more injuries now, regardless.

I would like to see the Bowls stay alive. It will always be a great way to end a college football career and season. We need big changes with the pro and pay NIL dynamic setting college players’ priorities, though.

Maybe the solution is to have non-playoff coaches bid for their own Bowl seeding ?

These venal bastards could even assemble the CFP rankings show staff for one more broadcast and sell commercials.
I prefer 8 team playoff. Not to few, not to many. Equal games to play to win the natty in the playoffs. Everyone is banged up this late in the season. Make everyone play through it instead of giving a couple of teams more time to get healthy and one less game to worry about more injuries.

I prefer 8 team playoff. Not to few, not to many. Equal games to play to win the natty in the playoffs. Everyone is banged up this late in the season. Make everyone play through it instead of giving a couple of teams more time to get healthy and one less game to worry about more injuries.
I always felt 1:8 and 2:7 games were far too likely to be a waste of prep and “health capital”.

4:12, 5:11, given so many teams w/o common opponents, may reward those who figured it out through the season, and put things in better perspective for the Florida States of the world.

If FSU knew who they were, they would stay in the ACC now. Lol

BS. You'd be pissed at getting pulled from the rankings after winning every game too.

That chance to compete was stolen from the kids. So nobody can blame them for going to the draft and such instead of playing in a truly meaningless game now
Victim culture is a losers path. Great lesson learned leaving the Seminoles….smh

Regardless of your feelings towards Mentor ‘02, FSU deserved to be in the Playoff.
I like the poster. On the sports or political forums.

I liked FSU until the QB went down, too. I really couldn’t care less about the school either way.

If this was Wiscy or Auburn, I would be just the same. If it was the Buckeyes I might be tempted to withhold my thoughts that were unhelpful to the Buckeyes’ cause.

LOL you posted this but now you are saying how great ND was vs a depleted Oregon State team. You wear hypocrite very well.
Notre Dame played a very good game, which I applauded. I didn’t use the bowl game to try to rewrite the narrative of the season or draw any crazy conclusions.

Regardless of your feelings towards Mentor ‘02, FSU deserved to be in the Playoff.
Seems weird that when given a chance to prove their point against possibly the best team in the country, their starters decided not to play. So no, they didn't deserve to be in.

Seems weird that when given a chance to prove their point against possibly the best team in the country, their starters decided not to play. So no, they didn't deserve to be in.
Doesn't seem weird at all.

Many of those kids came back to try to win a title this year

The kids won their first 13 games on the field. The committee and ESPN told them that didn't matter and wasn't good enough.

So why should they risk injury if going to the draft or fighting through injuries to get hurt worse for a meaningless bowl game now ? The first 13 were said to not matter. So this one damn sure didn't matter

Now we will never know. I think FSU matched up quite well with Michigan. Bama got the spot and lost.

Doesn't seem weird at all.

Many of those kids came back to try to win a title this year

The kids won their first 13 games on the field. The committee and ESPN told them that didn't matter and wasn't good enough.

So why should they risk injury if going to the draft or fighting through injuries to get hurt worse for a meaningless bowl game now ? The first 13 were said to not matter. So this one damn sure didn't matter

Now we will never know. I think FSU matched up quite well with Michigan. Bama got the spot and lost.
Of course it is weird. Georgia kids played, as did Ohio State's. They were quitters.

These bowls, outside the Playoff, are basically an NFL preseason game. They're Spring games against an opponent instead of intra-squad. Some are entertaining (Clemson-UK), most are trash (OSU-Mizzou).
Yep, its another college football game, how can that be bad? Is/was there bad football? of course there was, but that is still better than no football.

Of course it is weird. Georgia kids played, as did Ohio State's. They were quitters.
Georgia and Ohio State both had opt outs for the draft.

And both of them earned the bowl they were assigned by losing their last game. So nice try

FSU had many kids going to the draft so they opted out for that reason. Again because why risk getting hurt for a meaningless game after being told your first 13 wins didn't matter ?

They did so just like Harrison for OSU and Bowers for georgia. This included: RB Benson , wr Coleman , wr Wilson, TE Bell, DE Verse, S Dent, DT Lovett , CB Green.

Others were playing hurt and got their surgeries or scheduled them. Why play through stuff for a meaningless game after being told your first 13 wins didn't count or matter?

DT Fiske, CB Jones, LB Bethune are going to the draft and wanted to play anyways. But couldnt get cleared from recent injuries suffered. DT Farmer and RB Toafili are coming back but both were hurt. Travis obviously was hurt too .

Some transferred to further their career rather than play in a meaningless bowl. Just like Kyle McCord for OSU did. Tate rodemaker who was going to start at QB just like McCord transferred because he wasn't going to start next year. Same case

Dj Lundy LB, Rodney hood rb, AJ Duffy QB, and cj Campbell RB transferred as well.

So it's actually very logical if you aren't a hater or someone with an agenda. You just agreed in your previous post that non playoff bowls are pretty much NFL preseason....well FSU players moving on or hurt treated it that way the same as all the other non playoff teams...

But I guess Marvin Harrison Jr and McCord were quitters for OSU and Bowers for georgia too by your rationale

Last edited:
Georgia and Ohio State both had opt outs for the draft.

And both of them earned the bowl they were assigned by losing their last game. So nice try

FSU had many kids going to the draft so they opted out for that reason. Again because why risk getting hurt for a meaningless game after being told your first 13 wins didn't matter ?

They did so just like Harrison for OSU and Bowers for georgia. This included: RB Benson , wr Coleman , wr Wilson, TE Bell, DE Verse, S Dent, DT Lovett , CB Green.

Others were playing hurt and got their surgeries or scheduled them. Why play through stuff for a meaningless game after being told your first 13 wins didn't count or matter?

DT Fiske, CB Jones, LB Bethune are going to the draft and wanted to play anyways. But couldnt get cleared from recent injuries suffered. DT Farmer and RB Toafili are coming back but both were hurt. Travis obviously was hurt too .

Some transferred to further their career rather than play in a meaningless bowl. Just like Kyle McCord for OSU did. Tate rodemaker who was going to start at QB just like McCord transferred because he wasn't going to start next year. Same case

Dj Lundy LB, Rodney hood rb, AJ Duffy QB, and cj Campbell RB transferred as well.

So it's actually very logical if you aren't a hater or someone with an agenda

But I guess Marvin Harrison Jr and McCord were quitters for OSU and Bowers for georgia too by your rationale
lol, Ohio State didn't have 24 opt outs. Are you being intentionally dense? Seems weird that FSU was the only team completely devastated by opt outs.

lol, Ohio State didn't have 24 opt outs. Are you being intentionally dense? Seems weird that FSU was the only team completely devastated by opt outs.
Can you dispute the reasons for any of those opt outs being any different than other teams who had players opt out for the draft , transfer or injury? FSU just had more of them doing so but it's for the exact same rationale and reasons

You are blasting FSU for not wanting to risk injury for a meaningless bowl game. You just agreed non playoff games are NFL preseason games

When OSU guys transfer or go to the draft or sit because of injury it's all good though. You are a hypocrite

Can you dispute the reasons for any of those opt outs being any different than other teams who had players opt out for the draft , transfer or injury? FSU just had more of them doing so but it's for the exact same rationale and reasons

You are blasting FSU for not wanting to risk injury for a meaningless bowl game. You just agreed non playoff games are NFL preseason games

When OSU guys transfer or go to the draft or sit because of injury it's all good though. You are a hypocrite
No one, let me repeat, no one had 24 opt outs. If you can't see that is odd, I can't help you. I assume you attended FSU? Your irrational position could only be held by a real fan of FSU.

No one, let me repeat, no one had 24 opt outs. If you can't see that is odd, I can't help you. I assume you attended FSU? Your irrational position could only be held by a real fan of FSU.

Ohio state had 14 not play for one of those 3 reasons. It's happening a lot. You are again a hypocrite. FSU just had a team full of guys in their last year. Many of whom came back to try to win a title this year. But again they were told the 13 wins they earned didn't count or matter

But yeah FSU is the only team to not care about a meaningless bowl game lol.

Ohio state had 14 not play for one of those 3 reasons. It's happening a lot. You are again a hypocrite. FSU just had a team full of guys in their last year. Many of whom came back to try to win a title this year. But again they were told the 13 wins they earned didn't count or matter

I'm guessing you don't follow Ohio State. Lol, your list included 3 starters, one who will be the 2nd guy taken the the draft. They pretty much had their entire team there. And 14 is a lot less than 24. The guy on TV told me that FSU had essentially no starters playing. That wasn't the case for Ohio State. FSU had far more to prove than Ohio State, but decided to quit instead.

How many starters at OSU opted out? How many starters at FSU?

I'm guessing you don't follow Ohio State. Lol, your list included 3 starters, one who will be the 2nd guy taken the the draft. They pretty much had their entire team there. And 14 is a lot less than 24. The guy on TV told me that FSU had essentially no starters playing. That wasn't the case for Ohio State. FSU had far more to prove than Ohio State, but decided to quit instead.
Excuses excuses. I highlighted the guys going to the draft. Same exact reason as Marvin Harrison jr. But he's OSU so it's all good in your book

I highlighted the transfers. Same as McCord and others. But OSU guys are all good in your book

Any guys fighting injuries would be downright stupid to play in a meaningless bowl game. I gave you a handful who wanted to play including 3 going to the draft. But you think FSU guys should play through it for a meaningless bowl game

Also I guess the backups only count for FSU. Cuz obviously there weren't 24 starters out. You still used that number though

8 starters played. The oline, 1 DE, 1 LB, 1 secondary. But others all had their reasons to not want to play in a meaningless bowl game

In short, you are full of s***. My position isn't irrational at all. It's logical. It's your position where you cover for OSU and slam FSU that is the one full of homerism and irrational spin

Yeah, bc they were the only team with opt outs.

lol, sure, they had no starters because they were all going to be drafted. The only team in football with that many.
I mean I gave you a comprehensive list of the reasons for virtually every guy. You are choosing to ignore it..

OSU had plenty transfer and skip the meaningless bowl. FSU guys were the same with that reason

Marvin Harrison Jr skipped the bowl for the draft. You're fine with that but with FSU draft prospects you think they should play in a meaningless bowl. If Harrison didn't quit, then none of the FSU guys going to the draft quit ..

If McCord didn't quit while transferring then none of the FSU guys who transferred quit...

Anyone with a brain would say anybody who is injured shouldn't play in a meaningless bowl. You seem to think FSU guys should do.so though.

You are an OSU homer so those guys are fine. You are blindly buying media narrative to hate on FSU guys for sitting out a meaningless bowl game for one of the 3 reasons plenty of others throughout the sport did so too

Can't help that you have an agenda and are ignorant. I also can't blame FSU guys who were told their first 13 games didn't count or matter by ESPN and the committee for opting out of a meaningless bowl game.

This is unlike Ohio state and Georgia who earned their bowl game spot by losing their conference title games.

FSU won their conferences title game with a third string true freshman QB starting along with beating Florida in the swamp with their backup QB starting. So the team did their job and didn't back down when their QB went down

OSU of course scored 3 points against Missouri when their starting QB wasn't available

Last edited: