Kill Postseason Bowls

AEW Champion

Your wife’s favorite poster
I’m damn sick and tired of these meaningless postseason non-playoff exhibition games masquerading as “important events”. Good players are correct to skip them: The game result means literally nothing!

Most bowls should be killed off entirely. The big remaining legacy bowls like the NY6 games and others like the Alamo, Holiday, Gator, Citrus and Outback should instead be moved to Labor Day weekend during Week 1 of the season, with the prior season’s final results used to allocate marquee Week 1 matchups to these various bowls.

After Covid, no one can argue that “the schedules are set years in advance, we can’t change those.” BS. Make a TV marquee game in Week 1 an honor earned by your team’s prior-year performance.

And no, I don’t give a damn about the Tournament of Roses parade on Jan. 1. They can still have their parade on Jan. 1, but their game happens Labor Day weekend or they can kick rocks.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I’m damn sick and tired of these meaningless postseason non-playoff exhibition games masquerading as “important events”. Good players are correct to skip them: The game result means literally nothing!

Most bowls should be killed off entirely. The big remaining legacy bowls like the NY6 games and others like the Alamo, Holiday, Gator, Citrus and Outback should instead be moved to Labor Day weekend during Week 1 of the season, with the prior season’s final results used to allocate marquee Week 1 matchups to these various bowls.

After Covid, no one can argue that “the schedules are set years in advance, we can’t change those.” BS. Make a TV marquee game in Week 1 an honor earned by your team’s prior-year performance.

And no, I don’t give a damn about the Tournament of Roses parade on Jan. 1. They can still have their parade on Jan. 1, but their game happens Labor Day weekend or they can kick rocks.

Well when your team can't win one, I can see why you feel this way.

Well when your team can't win one, I can see why you feel this way.
No, it’s about not going through the farce of trying to make football’s version of the NIT seem like a glamorous event that elite alpha athletes should act like they want to be a part of.

No, it’s about not going through the farce of trying to make football’s version of the NIT seem like a glamorous event that elite alpha athletes should act like they want to be a part of.

It's more football, out of conference football as well. I'm not sure how that can be a bad thing, unless of course you have ND's bowl record.

It's more football, out of conference football as well. I'm not sure how that can be a bad thing, unless of course you have ND's bowl record.
People continually complain about good teams’ out-of-conference schedules. My idea would guarantee a tough opponent out of the chute for all the best teams.

I do not need meaningless bowl games. There will soon be 4 weekends of playoff football anyway — more than enough to satisfy fans’ appetites when combined with the stretch run of the NFL.

People continually complain about good teams’ out-of-conference schedules. My idea would guarantee a tough opponent out of the chute for all the best teams.

I do not need meaningless bowl games. There will soon be 4 weekends of playoff football anyway — more than enough to satisfy fans’ appetites when combined with the stretch run of the NFL.

That is a different argument entirely. Playoffs vs bowls, of course playoff games would mean more. But only some teams would be in the playoffs.

That is a different argument entirely. Playoffs vs bowls, of course playoff games would mean more. But only some teams would be in the playoffs.
Indeed. Twelve teams. The rest can stay home and work on improving for next season. Some of those staying home will need the work since they’ll be allocated into a Labor Day weekend bowl game to start the following season.

I honestly don't think it matters. If there's an expanded playoff, especially if it does go to 12, you'll soon be seeing projected 1st and 2nd rounders opting to sit out those games.

It's foolish to believe everyone opting out of NY6 games wouldn't also opt out of potentially playing up to 4 playoff games on a team seeded 5th-12th. Injuries will go through the roof with the added wear and tear, even if there's a game or two lopped off the regular season.

I honestly don't think it matters. If there's an expanded playoff, especially if it does go to 12, you'll soon be seeing projected 1st and 2nd rounders opting to sit out those games.

It's foolish to believe everyone opting out of NY6 games wouldn't also opt out of potentially playing up to 4 playoff games on a team seeded 5th-12th.
That DL for PSU sat out the "entire" season last year, and is now likely the rookie of the year. You do wonder at what point does a player decide, "I've proved enough".

That DL for PSU sat out the "entire" season last year, and is now likely the rookie of the year. You do wonder at what point does a player decide, "I've proved enough".
I wouldn’t project the Covid year — which already had massive uncertainty and a reduced schedule of games — as being predictive of the future at all.

It's foolish to believe everyone opting out of NY6 games wouldn't also opt out of potentially playing up to 4 playoff games on a team seeded 5th-12th. Injuries will go through the roof with the added wear and tear, even if there's a game or two lopped off the regular season.
I totally disagree that anyone would be sitting out of games determining the national champion. No one does that now.

I wouldn’t project the Covid year — which already had massive uncertainty and a reduced schedule of games — as being predictive of the future at all.

Of course not, just saying that if sitting out 1 game is smart, isn't sitting our more than that smart, if you have reached your draft ceiling?

The bowl games give teams another few weeks to practice and gel. They clearly meant a lot to the players because they played hard and were pumped to win. If you think winning the Rose Bowl is not a huge accomplishment for tOSU, you're not looking at reality. TOSU had a really down period of losing to UM, but now they can say they are Rose Bowl champions, and they learned a lot about themselves. They were tested, and they passed the test. That is what is great about bowl games.

Do you ever wake up with anything positive to say? Anything? Ever?

I totally disagree that anyone would be sitting out of games determining the national champion. No one does that now.

There's also a lot fewer games now than there'd be in an expanded playoff.

Matt Corral and the dude who started for Kenny Pickett both got significantly injured in NY6 bowls. In the future, there's going to be a lot of similar players weighing the pros and cons of playing in an 8/9 or 7/10 game followed by a perceived low odds shot at a top 2-3 opponent in a quarterfinal. I think this is definitely the road we're headed down barring payday incentives for playing in these games.

I believe the schools still earn a ton of money off the games too. A majority of the guys still play and enjoy the experience. I understand sitting out but others improve their stock too by playing. Now it’s down to what they can do in tights.

I believe the schools still earn a ton of money off the games too. A majority of the guys still play and enjoy the experience. I understand sitting out but others improve their stock too by playing. Now it’s down to what they can do in tights.
I'm pretty sure most schools lose money on bowl games.

The bowl games give teams another few weeks to practice and gel. They clearly meant a lot to the players because they played hard and were pumped to win. If you think winning the Rose Bowl is not a huge accomplishment for tOSU, you're not looking at reality. TOSU had a really down period of losing to UM, but now they can say they are Rose Bowl champions, and they learned a lot about themselves. They were tested, and they passed the test. That is what is great about bowl games.
It is good to end the season with a win and a lot of younger players got valuable playing time they wouldn't have had otherwise. Win win at least for Ohio State.

I'm pretty sure most schools lose money on bowl games.
A few schools lose a little money on the front end but it’s free national exposure for the schools. Show off the trophies for years in recruiting. Coaches get bonuses for wins and qualifying. Plus they get it back on the other side with conference payouts

A few schools lose a little money on the front end but it’s free national exposure for the schools. Show off the trophies for years in recruiting. Coaches get bonuses for wins and qualifying. Plus they get it back on the other side with conference payouts
The Alabama Crimson Tide, which has no problems packing a stadium, ended up losing a combined $3.76 million in the 2010 and 2012 BCS National Championship games. Auburn also lost nearly $615,000 on its BCS National Champions game appearance in 2011, according to the Hearst Foundation.
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/01/02/bowl-games-are-not-always-winners-for-schools/

Bowls would be a major financial loser for many schools without conference revenue sharing splitting up a sizable chunk of payouts from the playoff and NY6 games. For G5 schools bowl games only real value is getting on TV at a time when kids are on winter break. Free recruiting exposure, and more importantly an opportunity for the university to try to appeal to prospective applicants.

Do you ever wake up with anything positive to say? Anything? Ever?
I feel like I’m a generally affable guy who contributes a lot of positivity to the board. I am tough on certain topics when I want the system or a team or a fanbase to show improvement.

Bowls would be a major financial loser for many schools without conference revenue sharing splitting up a sizable chunk of payouts from the playoff and NY6 games. For G5 schools bowl games only real value is getting on TV at a time when kids are on winter break. Free recruiting exposure, and more importantly an opportunity for the university to try to appeal to prospective applicants.
Does anyone watch those piddly pre-Christmas bowls featuring mid-major teams? I sure as heck don’t, and I doubt anyone else does, either.

There are way too many bowls, back in the "good" old days the B1G only went to 1 bowl the Rose. Now .500 teams with their records beefed up against lesser Group of 5 teams and in some cases FCS teams get to thump their chests with a post season game. Lesser bowls basically serve the following purposes:

1. Give ESPN live inventory during a time of year when they need it.
  2. Provide a sweetener to players for coaches during their Holiday mini-camp.
  3. Allow a (usually southern) city a chance for civic pride and to show its self off on TV.
  4. A marketing opportunity for a football program.
The next big move getting ready to occur though is the 12 team playoff. Quietly behind the scenes many of these lesser bowls are advocating for them to be able to bid on these games and keep them off campus. They are the ones that are saying northern stadiums are not winterized enough to handle December games. For cities like Shreveport and Mobile to get a game featuring national powers with big fan bases would be a huge windfall to the local economy.

There are way too many bowls, back in the "good" old days the B1G only went to 1 bowl the Rose. Now .500 teams with their records beefed up against lesser Group of 5 teams and in some cases FCS teams get to thump their chests with a post season game. Lesser bowls basically serve the following purposes:

1. Give ESPN live inventory during a time of year when they need it.
  2. Provide a sweetener to players for coaches during their Holiday mini-camp.
  3. Allow a (usually southern) city a chance for civic pride and to show its self off on TV.
  4. A marketing opportunity for a football program.
The next big move getting ready to occur though is the 12 team playoff. Quietly behind the scenes many of these lesser bowls are advocating for them to be able to bid on these games and keep them off campus. They are the ones that are saying northern stadiums are not winterized enough to handle December games. For cities like Shreveport and Mobile to get a game featuring national powers with big fan bases would be a huge windfall to the local economy.
"not winterized enough" lol, I wonder what they think that means? Every stadium in the north, be it pro, college or high school, is completely winterized.

Those podunk towns don’t deserve playoff games. Asking fans to potentially travel to four consecutive neutral-site games is asinine.

If a 12-team playoff is all at neutral sites, I will quit college football and Yappi.com.

Those podunk towns don’t deserve playoff games. Asking fans to potentially travel to four consecutive neutral-site games is asinine.

If a 12-team playoff is all at neutral sites, I will quit college football and Yappi.com.

Dear Baby Jesus,

Please give us a 12 team playoff, all at neutral sites. Thank you.

Hopefully,

Yappi posters:)