If Russia invades Ukraine pt 2

The ultimate desperation move by Biden if he does so. That’s what happens though when your losing a war your unwilling to fight yourself.
Yup. This is a catastrophically bad idea. You cannot sanction Russia and China to make them bend the knee, and trying to do so is having the opposite of the intended effect. This is not Iraq or Yugoslavia where you can beat them into submission easily.

It’s a good day for world peace,” Biden claimed about the war funds in the State Dining Room of the White House, echoing George Orwell’s novel “Nineteen Eighty-Four.”

And surveillance is liberty, censorship is free speech, and authoritarianism is democracy.

Well America's Congress has signaled their virtue. However, American weapons did not turn the tide against Russia during Ukraine's summer offensive in 2023. Will they make a difference now?

The new ammo should allow them to stabilize the lines. Beyond that the answer is not really imo.

Ukraine isn’t capable of a successful offensive against prepared Russian defenses. Russia isn’t much better.

Bribes are second nature in Soviet 2.0. Arrests are not. Interesting move.

I agree with the idea it’s aimed at Shoigu. His demise can probably be expected soon. This may or may not be a benefit for Ukraine. The person who replaces him might be more competent. Although that really wouldn’t be difficult to achieve given Shoigu’s performance.

It is not sustainable. They have a serious worker shortage and are propped up with military spending. Our sanctions have not really gone after Russian crude as rigorously as we could to stave off major disruptions in the market. And Putin has essentially bought his populous leading up to the election providing higher wages and benefits. Russia's key interest rate is at 16% and they actually risk overheating in the short term.

The Carnegie think tank just came out with a report stating Russia has 18 more mos. before the cards start to fall.

Chinese exports to Russia dropped for the first time last month since the war began (And China has some major problems of their own at the moment).

It is not sustainable. They have a serious worker shortage and are propped up with military spending. Our sanctions have not really gone after Russian crude as rigorously as we could to stave off major disruptions in the market. And Putin has essentially bought his populous leading up to the election providing higher wages and benefits. Russia's key interest rate is at 16% and they actually risk overheating in the short term.

The Carnegie think tank just came out with a report stating Russia has 18 more mos. before the cards start to fall.

Chinese exports to Russia dropped for the first time last month since the war began (And China has some major problems of their own at the moment).
We share the same goal of stopping Putin. I just don't share your optimism it can be done without US/NATO boots on the ground.

But we heard all this after the first few months of the war and Russia had failed to deliver a knockout blow to Ukraine. Color me skeptical of continued claims that Putin & Russia are on the ropes. I guess only time will tell but it seems to me that keeping this bloodbath going is increasingly becoming more of a problem for the Ukrainians then Russians.

We share the same goal of stopping Putin. I just don't share your optimism it can be done without US/NATO boots on the ground.
With proper funding and weapons Ukraine can push out the invaders.

There is a reason people like Mike Johnson pushed to pass this week's aid bill. Defeating Russia, or at the very least draining them in Ukraine, is crucial on its face but also serves as a deterrent to the other Axis of Evil countries so our sons will not have to fight another war half way around the globe. It is crucial.

There is a reason people like Mike Johnson pushed to pass this week's aid bill. Defeating Russia, or at the very least draining them in Ukraine, is crucial on its face but also serves as a deterrent to the other Axis of Evil countries so our sons will not have to fight another war half way around the globe. It is crucial.
Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't seem like the Ukrainians will ever have the manpower to push the Russians out. At best all they may be able to do is stalemate the Russians at the current front.

While your last point is legit, I'll offer a counter point: As we dangerously exhaust our ammunition supplies in supporting a Russia/Ukraine stalemate, China with a worsening economy and a leadership fearing their own longevity, launches a massive invasion of Taiwan to take advantage. Then our sons and daughters will be in a very serious fight.

And hell if we screw up in Ukraine and a panicked Putin escalates the war ALL of us will be in the fight.

Short of an internal Russian collapse this won’t happen. The Russians are more likely to roll out the nukes than cede Crimea back.

I would argue that our current course is increasing the likelihood of our sons and daughters having to fight. An increasingly frantic escalation by western leaders trying to save face.

Problem is Putin knows the western public isn’t down for a land war. Unless and until he’s made to believe that’s possible it’s all empty to them imo.

I swear you said the demise of the Russian economy would be in eighteen months two years ago.

I agree with the idea it’s aimed at Shoigu. His demise can probably be expected soon. This may or may not be a benefit for Ukraine. The person who replaces him might be more competent. Although that really wouldn’t be difficult to achieve given Shoigu’s performance.
So if the next guy is almost certain to be more competent and effective, and Ukraine just had a discouraging year opposing the man being replaced, doesn’t that make the next $61B we dump in the Ukraine a foolish investment ?

None of the struggles are likely as bad as you have been led to believe. They were shaking the tree to make $61 billion fall out

Short of an internal Russian collapse this won’t happen. The Russians are more likely to roll out the nukes than cede Crimea back.
Maybe. I've mentioned before that unfortunately for Ukraine the real play here is to bleed Russia in Ukraine. Putin has taken great measures on the economy, and Elvira is a whiz, but it is not sustainable.
I would argue that our current course is increasing the likelihood of our sons and daughters having to fight. An increasingly frantic escalation by western leaders trying to save face.
This is still a tepid response from the West.
Problem is Putin knows the western public isn’t down for a land war. Unless and until he’s made to believe that’s possible it’s all empty to them imo.
No one really wants that, including the citizens of Moscow and St. Petersburg. The Kremlin has relied heavily on throwing their less than desirable citizens and foreigners at Ukraine.

Maybe. I've mentioned before that unfortunately for Ukraine the real play here is to bleed Russia in Ukraine. Putin has taken great measures on the economy, and Elvira is a whiz, but it is not sustainable.

No war economy is sustainable over a long period of time. That they managed to take what amounts of the wests best shot and get up is a testament to just how damn good Elvira and company are.

This is still a tepid response from the West.

I disagree to an extent. It’s the most aggressive economic sanctions ever imposed. It could be harsher but doing that would bring blowback into play.

For example if we actually were to sanction Chinese banks. You run the risk of tanking the Chinese economy and infecting the global banking system with contagion. Each would have profoundly negative consequences for America.

No one really wants that, including the citizens of Moscow and St. Petersburg. The Kremlin has relied heavily on throwing their less than desirable citizens and foreigners at Ukraine.

Ukraine isn’t in a much better situation. They are seriously considering getting countries to forcibly repatriate fighting age males. I can’t imagine these guys will make great soldiers.

I

The same economists that predicted that the ruble would be rubble?

As I said to Irish earlier. No country can run a war economy forever and the transition back to a regular economy is frequently painful.

The changing nature of war. One thing that war provides is a live laboratory of what works and does not work on the battlefield:

It could be Ukraine and their US military handlers just wanting to preserve scarce resources. Then again drones might be shaping the battlefield in new and different ways that make high tech tanks ineffective.

The changing nature of war. One thing that war provides is a live laboratory of what works and does not work on the battlefield:

It could be Ukraine and their US military handlers just wanting to preserve scarce resources. Then again drones might be shaping the battlefield in new and different ways that make high tech tanks ineffective.

This is kind of why I said to Irish the other day that Ukraine can’t take its land back. Russia isn’t using meat waves because they prefer it. They are using them because it’s the only way to advance on the battlefield.

Nothing really to do regarding the Special Military Operation but an interesting article

The old quandary of truth being stranger than fiction. Men, super egos, and honey pots. The eternal quest for power.