CHL Football 23

Then why not schedule a team that would be a clear favorite to get some experience against a superior opponent? The teams you list were all pretty good at some point but in no way would have been favored in a match up with Wyoming. That’s why people think they prefer playing teams they are 95% sure they will beat.
How can you predict what a team will be from year to year? What you're implying is that Wyoming knows when teams will end up being terrible and only schedules them when 'know' they'll be bad. From 2013-2019 Harrison was a D2 playoff team every year but 1 - that year they finished 7-3 but didn't have enough Harbin pts. I believe the 20/21 Harrison game was put on the schedule during the 2019 season - they finished 11-2 losing to the eventual state champs in the playoffs. Now, they were absolute crap when Wyoming played them, but how is Wyoming to know that? Monroe in back to back years finished 15-8 while being in the playoffs both years. They were terrible this year. Again, how was Wyoming to know they would be a bad team? Maybe they purposefully scheduled cupcakes prior to their state title but since their state title run, I think the argument that they don't schedule teams that could beat them holds zero credibility. They clearly have made attempts to not only schedule larger programs, but larger programs who were winning.

How can you predict what a team will be from year to year? What you're implying is that Wyoming knows when teams will end up being terrible and only schedules them when 'know' they'll be bad. From 2013-2019 Harrison was a D2 playoff team every year but 1 - that year they finished 7-3 but didn't have enough Harbin pts. I believe the 20/21 Harrison game was put on the schedule during the 2019 season - they finished 11-2 losing to the eventual state champs in the playoffs. Now, they were absolute crap when Wyoming played them, but how is Wyoming to know that? Monroe in back to back years finished 15-8 while being in the playoffs both years. They were terrible this year. Again, how was Wyoming to know they would be a bad team? Maybe they purposefully scheduled cupcakes prior to their state title but since their state title run, I think the argument that they don't schedule teams that could beat them holds zero credibility. They clearly have made attempts to not only schedule larger programs, but larger programs who were winning.
Every fan of high school football around here could make a mental list of teams that would be a big challenge for Wyoming. I doubt Harrison would be on too many lists. The teams Wyoming seems to face every year on deep playoff runs are what people would love to see. I’m not going to list names because you’ll just give us reasons why it can’t happen. Doesn’t matter. They will do what they do and keep racking up easy wins. Good for them.

Every fan of high school football around here could make a mental list of teams that would be a big challenge for Wyoming. I doubt Harrison would be on too many lists. The teams Wyoming seems to face every year on deep playoff runs are what people would love to see. I’m not going to list names because you’ll just give us reasons why it can’t happen. Doesn’t matter. They will do what they do and keep racking up easy wins. Good for them.
You realize scheduling is a two way street right? You can list all the teams you want but do they have the same open dates (some leagues like the ECC only have 1 out of conference game, I think the MAC allows 2)? Are they willing to play Wyoming? Wyoming is a lot like Massie. No one smaller wants to play em and no one bigger wants to get thumped by a D4 school. I know Massie has had schedule issues in recent years, one year they could only have 3 home games because teams weren’t willing to travel to them.
Just some food for thought.

You realize scheduling is a two way street right? You can list all the teams you want but do they have the same open dates (some leagues like the ECC only have 1 out of conference game, I think the MAC allows 2)? Are they willing to play Wyoming? Wyoming is a lot like Massie. No one smaller wants to play em and no one bigger wants to get thumped by a D4 school. I know Massie has had schedule issues in recent years, one year they could only have 3 home games because teams weren’t willing to travel to them.
As I said, I don’t expect anything to change.

I think any of the GCL Coed teams would play Wyoming if they could work it out. They have to find 5 OOC opponents every year.

I just think your reasoning and logic are full of :poop: .

Scheduling is often done 2-3 years in advance and it's not as simple as telling a team "We're scheduling you" and 'poof' it's done. Someone already mentioned that when you're a team as talented as Wyoming traditionally is, finding someone willing to play you is difficult. I had a bigger school coach tell me scheduling someone like Wyoming would be a lose-lose. You don't get the same points if you win and if you lose, it makes you look bad. As far as smaller schools go, not many around here are willing to play Wyoming. CHCA had the same issue throughout the early-mid 2010's. After you've narrowed the list, there's proximity, you have to match up open dates, you have to match home/road schedule. I'm sure there are other considerations. People want to make it out like it's an easy 1-step process but it's not black & white. Then, you hope 2-3 years down the road, when you actually play the game, the team you scheduled is still good or you have absent minded people who refuse to look at the data claiming you don't play anyone.

I'll admit that I may also be 100% wrong. I have never asked Aaron or anyone else how they choose who they play OOC, but when I look at the nature of scheduling, who they have played, and the most important measure - end of year results, the claims you and others make are unfounded - at least in the past handful of years. They aren't going 10-0 and losing in the 1st or 2nd round. What they are doing, apparently works. 7 of the past 8 years they played for a Regional Championship, won 4 and of course have the 2 finals appearances.

I just think your reasoning and logic are full of :poop: .

Scheduling is often done 2-3 years in advance and it's not as simple as telling a team "We're scheduling you" and 'poof' it's done. Someone already mentioned that when you're a team as talented as Wyoming traditionally is, finding someone willing to play you is difficult. I had a bigger school coach tell me scheduling someone like Wyoming would be a lose-lose. You don't get the same points if you win and if you lose, it makes you look bad. As far as smaller schools go, not many around here are willing to play Wyoming. CHCA had the same issue throughout the early-mid 2010's. After you've narrowed the list, there's proximity, you have to match up open dates, you have to match home/road schedule. I'm sure there are other considerations. People want to make it out like it's an easy 1-step process but it's not black & white. Then, you hope 2-3 years down the road, when you actually play the game, the team you scheduled is still good or you have absent minded people who refuse to look at the data claiming you don't play anyone.

I'll admit that I may also be 100% wrong. I have never asked Aaron or anyone else how they choose who they play OOC, but when I look at the nature of scheduling, who they have played, and the most important measure - end of year results, the claims you and others make are unfounded - at least in the past handful of years. They aren't going 10-0 and losing in the 1st or 2nd round. What they are doing, apparently works. 7 of the past 8 years they played for a Regional Championship, won 4 and of course have the 2 finals appearances.
Don’t put words in my mouth. I never made any “claim”. The facts are there. Wyoming pretty much never plays an OOC game where they are not favored. Why is pure speculation. It’s a natural reaction people have every year when THE STREAK is touted. We have heard all your reasons why the situation can’t change and your opinion is noted. I won’t say it’s a bunch of 💩. Everyone is entitled to their own.

Don’t put words in my mouth. I never made any “claim”. The facts are there. Wyoming pretty much never plays an OOC game where they are not favored. Why is pure speculation. It’s a natural reaction people have every year when THE STREAK is touted. We have heard all your reasons why the situation can’t change and your opinion is noted. I won’t say it’s a bunch of 💩. Everyone is entitled to their own.
wyoming played 2 D2 teams and a D4 taft team that was in the running for the region and has multiple players playing in college. not a cupcake schedule at all.

Would you have bet on any of those opponents to beat Wyoming?
i would never bet against the cowboys; but i also thought it was the most challenging out-of-conference schedule in some time. no one foresaw monroe's injuries, and i think (but don't know) that ross was hampered by the levy failure and pay-to-play for football.

Might be the last year for it with the current members of the league. Lots of meetings and discussions about the layout of the league beyond the 2024-2025 school year going on.

Long overdue. Hopefully progress is made and some official changes are announced soon.

Long overdue. Hopefully progress is made and some official changes are announced soon.
Agreed.

The last time the CHL experienced any changes was 1995 when Loveland left. 30 years, without a single change to a member. If I'm not mistaken, that's by far the longest stretch, w/o change, of any league in the area. That may very well be the longest stretch of continuity of any league since leagues were created around here. The reality is things have changed and the CHL hasn't changed with the times and the writing has been on the wall going back to the early 2000's. The student population, SES, and overall communities of DP and Finneytown are more like St. Bernard, Lockland, NCH, New Miami, etc. than they are Indian Hill, Wyoming, Madeira and the rest of the CHL. Not that DP & FT were ever financially similar, but student populations were more closely related and the communities of FT and DP have changed drastically over the past couple decades.

The problem for the CHL is who would replace those two? In the short term, most the Clermont County schools are good choices but within the next 10 years, most of those, with the exception of CNE are going to be flirting with being D2 & D3 or even bigger. I bet in 10 years, Batavia is on the verge of being a D1 school. The CHL has always had an anti private school stance so Purcell, Roger Bacon, Summit, CHCA and CCD would SEEM to be out of the mix. I'm willing to bet that Wyoming, IH, Madeira, and Taylor don't want to do what DP has done the past decade-plus and play up divisions with a conference full of D2 & D3 teams. The options get limited quick. Norwood & Cincy Public Schools are all that's left and breaking down the entire athletic profile of those schools - do they even fit???

Last edited:
Agreed.

The last time the CHL experienced any changes was 1995 when Loveland left. 30 years, without a single change to a member. If I'm not mistaken, that's by far the longest stretch, w/o change, of any league in the area. That may very well be the longest stretch of continuity of any league since leagues were created around here. The reality is things have changed and the CHL hasn't changed with the times and the writing has been on the wall going back to the early 2000's. The student population, SES, and overall communities of DP and Finneytown are more like St. Bernard, Lockland, NCH, New Miami, etc. than they are Indian Hill, Wyoming, Madeira and the rest of the CHL. Not that DP & FT were ever financially similar, but student populations were more closely related and the communities of FT and DP have changed drastically over the past couple decades.

The problem for the CHL is who would replace those two? In the short term, most the Clermont County schools are good choices but within the next 10 years, most of those, with the exception of CNE are going to be flirting with being D2 & D3 or even bigger. I bet in 10 years, Batavia is on the verge of being a D1 school. The CHL has always had an anti private school stance so Purcell, Roger Bacon, Summit, CHCA and CCD would SEEM to be out of the mix. I'm willing to bet that Wyoming, IH, Madeira, and Taylor don't want to do what DP has done the past decade-plus and play up divisions with a conference full of D2 & D3 teams. The options get limited quick. Norwood & Cincy Public Schools are all that's left and breaking down the entire athletic profile of those schools - do they even fit???
Great analysis. The most viable options I see involve dropping FT/DP then:

1) Staying at 6 schools.

or

2) Ending the private school ban and trying to lure Purcell, Bacon, Summit and CHCA out of the MVC.

or

3) Negotiating a merger with the MVC and forming a new mega-conference with 20+ schools and 3+ divisions like the OCC in Columbus.

Any plan involving the SBAAC, SWOC, CMAC, or any other local conference has too many holes.

Great analysis. The most viable options I see involve dropping FT/DP then:

1) Staying at 6 schools.

or

2) Ending the private school ban and trying to lure Purcell, Bacon, Summit and CHCA out of the MVC.

or

3) Negotiating a merger with the MVC and forming a new mega-conference with 20+ schools and 3+ divisions like the OCC in Columbus.

Any plan involving the SBAAC, SWOC, CMAC, or any other local conference has too many holes.
The OCC already has a model for how to make it work. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the other CHL teams will go for it. The main argument the other CHL teams have against DP and FT isn't eliminated. Anytime they'd play a cross over game with a smaller school (i.e. Lockland, DP, FT, NCH, etc.) odds are it won't be a very competitive game, you'll have to try to find someone else's JV team to play against, and the facilities aren't the same level. Hell, those other schools don't even have the same array of programs (i.e. golf, tennis) so that messes with scheduling too. It's really a lose-lose situation. I think if anything, there's a better chance you get a CHL with 2 divisions; 1 public & 1 private. Deer Park, Finneytown leave and join the rest of the teams from the MVC.

The OCC already has a model for how to make it work. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the other CHL teams will go for it. The main argument the other CHL teams have against DP and FT isn't eliminated. Anytime they'd play a cross over game with a smaller school (i.e. Lockland, DP, FT, NCH, etc.) odds are it won't be a very competitive game, you'll have to try to find someone else's JV team to play against, and the facilities aren't the same level. Hell, those other schools don't even have the same array of programs (i.e. golf, tennis) so that messes with scheduling too. It's really a lose-lose situation. I think if anything, there's a better chance you get a CHL with 2 divisions; 1 public & 1 private. Deer Park, Finneytown leave and join the rest of the teams from the MVC.

I get that the OCC has a specific model that wouldn't make sense replicating for the CHL. My combined CHL-MVC would look something like:

Gold Division (6 teams):
-Wyoming
-Indian Hill
-Taylor
-CHCA
-Purcell Marian
-Roger Bacon

Silver Division (7 teams)
-Reading
-Mariemont
-Madeira
-Summit Country Day
-CCD
-Norwood
-Clark Montessori

Bronze Division (7 teams)
-Finneytown
-Deer Park
-North College Hill
-St. Bernard
-Lockland
-MVCA
-New Miami

Every team would have 5-6 league games then flexibility to schedule non-league games based on their prospects for that season. A strong contender in the Gold Division could schedule 5 very strong non-league games against bigger teams from across the Tri-State in a given year, while a weak team in the Silver Division could schedule 4 non-league games against teams in the Bronze Division. Teams can request to go up or down a division every 2-3 years or whatever.

I get that the OCC has a specific model that wouldn't make sense replicating for the CHL. My combined CHL-MVC would look something like:

Gold Division (6 teams):
-Wyoming
-Indian Hill
-Taylor
-CHCA
-Purcell Marian
-Roger Bacon

Silver Division (7 teams)
-Reading
-Mariemont
-Madeira
-Summit Country Day
-CCD
-Norwood
-Clark Montessori

Bronze Division (7 teams)
-Finneytown
-Deer Park
-North College Hill
-St. Bernard
-Lockland
-MVCA
-New Miami

Every team would have 5-6 league games then flexibility to schedule non-league games based on their prospects for that season. A strong contender in the Gold Division could schedule 5 very strong non-league games against bigger teams from across the Tri-State in a given year, while a weak team in the Silver Division could schedule 4 non-league games against teams in the Bronze Division. Teams can request to go up or down a division every 2-3 years or whatever.
I think that's the issue you'd come across. That's a lot of non conference games to try to get commitments from when most teams are only playing a couple nonconference games. Right now the CHL is scheduling 3, which I believe is on the higher side, and Wyoming is struggling to do that. You'd have no choice but to play cross over games against the smaller/less competitive schools which they don't want and they're the ones driving this change to push DP & FT out. The CHL has also had a LONG history of being anti-private and IMO, that's the difference maker. If the powers that be change their attitudes on that, I think you can start typing up paperwork and dotting I's and crossing T's. Summit is 100% on board jumping into the CHL. They just need the invitation. CCD is on the fence and I think if Summit came in, they would follow and possibly Purcell, Bacon, etc. I also think it would be an easier sell if all the privates were grouped together in their own "division" that way Wyoming, IH, Madeira, etc were still separated.

As of now Wyoming and McNick are open week 3. I heard from a reliable source that Wyoming said “no” to scheduling this game. Not sure why they would do that unless they are looking for a gimme game. McNick is playing at Steubenville and home v a good Wheelersburg team in week 2. Now are looking far and wide for W3 opponent ..Columbus area and maybe Michigan? to fill their schedule.

As of now Wyoming and McNick are open week 3. I heard from a reliable source that Wyoming said “no” to scheduling this game. Not sure why they would do that unless they are looking for a gimme game. McNick is playing at Steubenville and home v a good Wheelersburg team in week 2. Now are looking far and wide for W3 opponent ..Columbus area and maybe Michigan? to fill their schedule.
Your 'reliable' source is dead wrong. Wyoming absolutely did not say no to scheduling McNick next season...not even close. I know Wyoming's AD and this did not play out in any way shape or form. I have no idea why people feel the need to spew nonsense

Your 'reliable' source is dead wrong. Wyoming absolutely did not say no to scheduling McNick next season...not even close. I know Wyoming's AD and this did not play out in any way shape or form. I have no idea why people feel the need to spew nonsense
Disagree. My source is very reliable. Not going to argue about this , it’s over now. Both teams have a week 3 opponent.

Who did McNick schedule?
KIPP Academy out of Columbus. Pickings for Week 3 were pretty slim which is why I was hoping Wyoming would agree to play. I know they were looking at out of state opponents. I think Kipp is D4. I know they play all the Columbus Catholic schools..Hartley, Watterson,Ready etc.

Disagree. My source is very reliable. Not going to argue about this , it’s over now. Both teams have a week 3 opponent.
Cowards.🤔 D5 6-4 last year. Looks like Bishop Brossart was originally scheduled week 3 by BT. McNick beat them by about 40 in the playoffs 2 years ago when Bethel Tate was 10-1.
I can concur that whoever told you is making something up or confused facts. Another CHL head coach told me the same when we were at a community meeting together. I think McNick would win handedly but Wyoming didn't dodge anyone.

How long do we got before we get the too early CHL predictions and break downs. Always enjoy those and it leads to some great conversations

POSTED

2024/2025 football thread/preview