CFP Title Game: Michigan vs Washington

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well Texas beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa so I guess that's a pretty dumb question.
From post #335 The Big 12 has a championship game to decide conference champion.
I think by the end of the season, Alabama had their QB in place and would role Texas.

Big 12 Championship Game

The Big 12 Championship Game is a college football game held by the Big 12 Conference between the best and the second-best Big 12 team.

I think that would be Alabama and Texas. Alabama wins and would be conference champions.

Why was P5 championships even a supposed criteria? A undefeated power 5 team. They were 3 of them this year. Shouldn't that have been an automatic bid over Power 5 conferences with champions who had 1 loss? Can anyone say that the committee actually picked the 4 best teams? Maybe Florida State wasn't one of the 4 best teams by the end of the year, but can anyone honestly say that Georgia wasn't?
This was a unique year when there was definitely more than 4 teams who had a legitimate shot or argument to be in the playoffs … that is why the 12 team playoff will be great … no more whinnying … all the real contenders will be in … and will have win it on the field

How many teams in the power conferences would you consider power teams?.
Well all of the teams are Power teams right if they're in a power conference. There are 120+ teams in FBS football, you don't just eliminate teams from Championship contention because they're not a traditional power.
If the clear 4 best teams are in the sec, are the 4 best teams playing in the playoffs?
No, why would you want the 4th best team from one single conference. They already have proven to NOT be one of the best teams by finishes 4th in their conference. Results on the field matter.
Since 2014 has there been a team out of the Pac or the Big 12 that had a legitimate chance of winning the natty?
Well Oregon won a Semifinal and played for a Natty. As did Washington. As did TCU. Oklahoma with Kyler played Alabama tougher/closer in the Semifinal than the Championship Game result. So yes to that question.
I like Cincinnati, but did they really belong in the playoffs?
Who else would have made it that year? Notre Dame, who they beat in South Bend? 2-loss Big 12 Champ Baylor? Of course they belonged.
I would say that the 4 teams playoffs have been a sham. Has the best 4 teams in a given year ever all made the playoffs? Never should have been 2 teams or 4 teams. Should have been now and then an 8 team playoffs. No bye advantage for anyone. 8 teams would surely get the 4 or 5 best teams in the playoffs. Play an equal number of games and have a proven winner.
Of course it's a shame. It's an invitational, based purely on opinions. There's nothing to quantify the 4 teams selected are the best.
And honestly it's never been about the best 4, it's been most deserving. Go back through 10 years, they rarely made a tough call, because it was easy to go with most deserving. This year, they strayed from that a big with FSU. I don't hate 12, though agree 8 would probably be a better number. I disagree that there shouldn't be auto-bids though. So long as there are committees and people involved in the decision making there will be bias. They need to remove as much bias as possible and let things play out on the field.

Actually I believe Johnson was struggling with his foot most of the season. Washington was a good team, not great, they won alot of close games, but they won those game.
You're right he was, but he injured it worse against Texas and then rolled his ankle on play 1 against Michigan. He had no explosiveness, specifically off that foot. It was obvious he was a fraction of the player he had been all year.

From post #335 The Big 12 has a championship game to decide conference champion.
I think by the end of the season, Alabama had their QB in place and would role Texas.

Big 12 Championship Game

The Big 12 Championship Game is a college football game held by the Big 12 Conference between the best and the second-best Big 12 team.

I think that would be Alabama and Texas. Alabama wins and would be conference champions.
Thats fine, but they played. And Alabama didn't win.

Plenty of people thought the Buckeyes could clip Michigan this year. Or that Georgia would beat Alabama. Or that Oregon would win a rematch with Washington. None of those things happened.

Plenty of people thought the Buckeyes could clip Michigan this year. Or that Georgia would beat Alabama. Or that Oregon would win a rematch with Washington. None of those things happened.
My statement was if Alabama were in the Big 12 they would have played Texas in the Big 12 championship game. 1 vs 2.
I am saying at the end of the year Alabama was a better team than Texas and would have beaten Texas and been conference champs. The same if Georgia, Michigan, or Ohio State they would have won and been champions of the Pac 12 or Big 12. IMO all 4 were better than Texas and Washington at the end of the regular season when they still had their full teams.

Very true statement. Those were the consensus predictions.

My suckeye friend told me yesterday he didn’t understand my “infatuation” with Michigan football. I do live in PA….
Here’s my reply-
I think we can all learn a lesson from these fine young men. They got embarrassed at the end of last year in the playoffs, despite their hard work. Did they whine? NO. They put a stake in the ground & said we’ll be back & we’ll be champions, and they went to work.
They start the season amidst a thunderstorm of controversy they had nothing to do with. Harbaugh is sidelined for half the season. They’re called cheaters, liars, underrated, undeserving.
Did they whine? NO. They locked arms, kept working, stayed focused and kept WINNING.
They win the Big 10, go into the playoffs and still hear they can’t compete, they’re overrated, played a weak schedule, going to get manhandled by every opponent. Did they lose focus, whine, complain, jump ship, enter the transfer portal? NO! They won it all & proved to the world just how wrong they were about them.
If everyone behaved the way these fine young men have- the world would be a better place.
Go BLUE
❤️
Thanks team 144 for setting an example we should all be following!

Last edited:
BTW, I haven't checked yet, but is Paul Finebaum doing OK nowadays? I thought for sure he'd blow a serious gasket after 1) beating Bama

2)winning the Natty

Team 144 Scoreboard: Michigan vs. Everybody!
Michigan 538
Everybody 156

Domination by suffocation! = National Champions
Go Blue! 15-0.

Bob99 is going, but...

But, what if....

But, what if this.....

But, what if that....
No I am good. 2023-2024 football season is history. I am waiting to see what unfolds for the 2024-2025 season.
I predict an IDES OF MARCH for our friends up north. Time will tell. Off football seasons are a thing of the past. Something going on all year around.

This was a unique year when there was definitely more than 4 teams who had a legitimate shot or argument to be in the playoffs … that is why the 12 team playoff will be great … no more whinnying … all the real contenders will be in … and will have win it on the field
1. It WAS won on the field this year. Michigan pretty much rolled. Go Blue!
2. Expansion is good. But (IMHO), I like 8 over 12 for 2 reasons. A. I hate byes. B. teams are already off a month, now 4 teams will be off a month and a week. (no thanks).

My statement was if Alabama were in the Big 12 they would have played Texas in the Big 12 championship game. 1 vs 2.
I am saying at the end of the year Alabama was a better team than Texas and would have beaten Texas and been conference champs. The same if Georgia, Michigan, or Ohio State they would have won and been champions of the Pac 12 or Big 12. IMO all 4 were better than Texas and Washington at the end of the regular season when they still had their full teams.
I disagree. And we have actual proof of Texas-Alabama playing to refute your position.

I disagree. And we have actual proof of Texas-Alabama playing to refute your position.
No you don't have any proof. You would have proof if Alabama would have played Texas in the playoffs. Who was the better team at the end of the regular season? I have proof Oklahoma beat Texas after Texas beat Alabama. By your reasoning Oklahoma must be better than both Texas and Alabama. Why wasn't Oklahoma in the playoffs? Who were the actual 4 best teams after the regular season ended? I would say Michigan, Georgia, Alabama and OSU. I don't believe Texas or Washington would beat any of them on a neutral field immediately after the regular season had ended.