Central Ohio 2024 Storylines

Cost doesnt seem to be a factor in choosing or not choosing St Charles. All of the tuitions of the Franklin County schools are within 1,000 dollars.
It was before EdChoice expansion. There wasn’t EdChoice opportunity to drive down payers’ tuition at Hartley and St Charles if you lived in districts like Bexley, Gahanna, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg, SWL & Licking Heights.
Is St Charles the only all boys school in Ohio that is terrible in football? Off the top of my head I say yes. That is incredible if true.
Unless you count Toledo de Sales (which has two state titles) or SJJ, yes.

Reynoldsburg just opened up. I’ve thought for a long time with a one high school district, this has been a sleeping giant. They’ve got athletes everywhere. Every since Buddy left, it’s been rough to say the least. Who’s someone that could go after this job and be successful? I’ve said since he left Pick North, Tom Phillips would be great at Reynoldsburg, but I’m pretty sure he’s working for his brother at Youngstown State. Would Burchfield from Hartley finally entertain this job? They need a Pusateri type hire desperately.

Reynoldsburg just opened up. I’ve thought for a long time with a one high school district, this has been a sleeping giant. They’ve got athletes everywhere. Every since Buddy left, it’s been rough to say the least. Who’s someone that could go after this job and be successful? I’ve said since he left Pick North, Tom Phillips would be great at Reynoldsburg, but I’m pretty sure he’s working for his brother at Youngstown State. Would Burchfield from Hartley finally entertain this job? They need a Pusateri type hire desperately.

First guy that comes to mind for me ... The young coach at Northland, Ryan Sayers. He was at one of the Pickerington schools, pretty sure Pick North, so he has ties to that area. He has done great work there, winning seasons, city champs, and he is young and energetic, that should go over great with the kids at Reynoldsburg!

First guy that comes to mind for me ... The young coach at Northland, Ryan Sayers. He was at one of the Pickerington schools, pretty sure Pick North, so he has ties to that area. He has done great work there, winning seasons, city champs, and he is young and energetic, that should go over great with the kids at Reynoldsburg!
Agreed, that would be the other name that would first come to mind as well. Has done a fantastic job at Northland. Curious who else may throw their hat in the ring?

In the OCC
expect Hilliard Bradley and Upper Arlington to be there in the end again.

In the CCL
Watterson Desales and Hartley all return a ton and look strong.

In the City League
Africentric returns a lot expect them to make some noise in the City

In the MSL
Bloom is always good expect them to the at the top of the legaue

Could we get some people who actually watch football to post opinions? Bradley graduated basically their entire roster of skill players and play in the toughest division, full of teams who actually return stat-producing underclassmen. They are highly likely to finish behind Orange, UA, Liberty, and Coffman in their own division, and a double digit seed in the playoffs as a result.

Reynoldsburg just opened up. I’ve thought for a long time with a one high school district, this has been a sleeping giant. They’ve got athletes everywhere.
not to get too technical, but it is a district with a high school split into two buildings on opposite ends of town. It’s not quite a 1:1 in its structure or ease of “all these kids under one roof” to, say, Gahanna-Lincoln.

Could we get some people who actually watch football to post opinions? Bradley graduated basically their entire roster of skill players and play in the toughest division, full of teams who actually return stat-producing underclassmen. They are highly likely to finish behind Orange, UA, Liberty, and Coffman in their own division, and a double digit seed in the playoffs as a result.
Yeah I responded in that vane to that post El Dud. How's the off-season going for you?

Tough few months to get thru, but I'm old enough for horse racing now and it's a good way to pass time along with the sports betting now

A few of my guys are horse guys who do well but I have to pare down now trying to get things in order down the road to retirement , I was a bigger MLB guy until I wanted to travel [Some work } and relax more , but CBB is a passion and doing well wagering wise and have been for a long while. I am on a revenge tour after a tough CFB season and futures season lol . NFL was ok but I am locked in and pumped up for the season. How is Berlin looking ? I'm a BC guy and will always root for Nori . I know a handful of young families through work stuff who are residing in your neck of the woods and they love it there in your community . Winding down in this space myself I think but I think Coffman can be OK this year and I know a small handful of kids playing this year. After that? Not sure.

not to get too technical, but it is a district with a high school split into two buildings on opposite ends of town. It’s not quite a 1:1 in its structure or ease of “all these kids under one roof” to, say, Gahanna-Lincoln.
Agreed, but from an athletic standpoint it is.

A few of my guys are horse guys who do well but I have to pare down now trying to get things in order down the road to retirement , I was a bigger MLB guy until I wanted to travel [Some work } and relax more , but CBB is a passion and doing well wagering wise and have been for a long while. I am on a revenge tour after a tough CFB season and futures season lol . NFL was ok but I am locked in and pumped up for the season. How is Berlin looking ? I'm a BC guy and will always root for Nori . I know a handful of young families through work stuff who are residing in your neck of the woods and they love it there in your community . Winding down in this space myself I think but I think Coffman can be OK this year and I know a small handful of kids playing this year. After that? Not sure.
You have no “guys” Harry. Silly.

Interesting to see OCC enrollment numbers, some of it is kind of surprising.

Gahanna 943
Reynoldsburg 885
UA 786
Jerome 780
Groveport 761
Westland 744
O. Orange 741
Davidson 734
Lancaster 728
Pick C. 722
Grove City 720
Pick N. 705
Olentangy 701
Coffman 696
Darby 684
Marysville 678
Newark 673
Bradley 667
O. Liberty 665
O. Berlin 663
Delaware Hayes 650
Central Crossing 629
Thomas Worthington 624
W. North 662
W. Central 604
New Albany 584
Worthington Kilbourne 584
W. South 580
Dublin Scioto 523
Franklin Heights 520
Big Walnut 519
Teays Valley 518
Canal W. 486
Logan 454

Interesting to see OCC enrollment numbers, some of it is kind of surprising.

Gahanna 943
Reynoldsburg 885
UA 786
Jerome 780
Groveport 761
Westland 744
O. Orange 741
Davidson 734
Lancaster 728
Pick C. 722
Grove City 720
Pick N. 705
Olentangy 701
Coffman 696
Darby 684
Marysville 678
Newark 673
Bradley 667
O. Liberty 665
O. Berlin 663
Delaware Hayes 650
Central Crossing 629
Thomas Worthington 624
W. North 662
W. Central 604
New Albany 584
Worthington Kilbourne 584
W. South 580
Dublin Scioto 523
Franklin Heights 520
Big Walnut 519
Teays Valley 518
Canal W. 486
Logan 454

Regarding football - Franklin Heights, Teays Valley, Logan, Westland & Newark will struggle to get a conference w. Their only conference w’s may be against one another.

Last edited:

Haven't heard much about any transfer news, heard lots of rumors about Day back to Tangy but no idea if that's real or not. Unclear what Berlin will do at QB next year as the backup who played vs Coffman returns but is probably too valuable as a 1st team all-dist linebacker to play QB full time. A freshman last year saw varsity snaps and appeared to be more of a Brewster run-first type of QB, which as everyone knows is not my favorite thing to see, especially with the talented OC they have and his ability to teach passing offense. They will also have to replace the punishing tailback, and while the H-back returns who has 2 KORs for TD and plays snaps at CB, unclear if he would be the right fit for an every down TB.

Lots of questions and a tough schedule next year. All 4 Tangies should be very good next year, as I'm expecting Orange finally got the much needed coaching upgrade that can push them to the next level (don't know much about the guy, but it would be hard to do worse). Tangy had several underclassmen playing big roles last year and if they get any decent QB play will be a handful again. Berlin Tangy moved to week 10 this year.

Haven't heard much about any transfer news, heard lots of rumors about Day back to Tangy but no idea if that's real or not. Unclear what Berlin will do at QB next year as the backup who played vs Coffman returns but is probably too valuable as a 1st team all-dist linebacker to play QB full time. A freshman last year saw varsity snaps and appeared to be more of a Brewster run-first type of QB, which as everyone knows is not my favorite thing to see, especially with the talented OC they have and his ability to teach passing offense. They will also have to replace the punishing tailback, and while the H-back returns who has 2 KORs for TD and plays snaps at CB, unclear if he would be the right fit for an every down TB.

Lots of questions and a tough schedule next year. All 4 Tangies should be very good next year, as I'm expecting Orange finally got the much needed coaching upgrade that can push them to the next level (don't know much about the guy, but it would be hard to do worse). Tangy had several underclassmen playing big roles last year and if they get any decent QB play will be a handful again. Berlin Tangy moved to week 10 this year.

Berlin will be an interesting team for sure, the Liberty game will be fun again this year, as well as the other 2 district games. My guess is Berlin will do what they typically do and beat the bad teams, struggle with the good teams, get to 7-3, 8-2 and get bounced in the second round. They do not play a good schedule like Liberty/Orange does and their playoff resume reflects that. The Olentangy’s have turned into the land of average, pretty much across the board unless Liberty figures it back out like they did a few years back.

Berlin will be an interesting team for sure, the Liberty game will be fun again this year, as well as the other 2 district games. My guess is Berlin will do what they typically do and beat the bad teams, struggle with the good teams, get to 7-3, 8-2 and get bounced in the second round. They do not play a good schedule like Liberty/Orange does and their playoff resume reflects that. The Olentangy’s have turned into the land of average, pretty much across the board unless Liberty figures it back out like they did a few years back.
Berlin typically struggle with good teams? They won their league last year with the only regular season lost coming against state semi finalist Bradley, their lost to Coffman was without their starting QB. While they may not have as strong a schedule as Orange or Liberty, they did beat those two teams. I would think Liberty will be better than last year though it may not seem so with the type of schedule they have. Orange will definately be better if their new coach can develop a better Oline. Outside of Hilliard Bradley of the last couple of years, Dublin Coffman and PC, The Olentangy’s do well against everyone else which I would think puts them above average, Orange did beat Coffman pretty soundly last year and Liberty seems to own UA.

Berlin typically struggle with good teams? They won their league last year with the only regular season lost coming against state semi finalist Bradley, their lost to Coffman was without their starting QB. While they may not have as strong a schedule as Orange or Liberty, they did beat those two teams. I would think Liberty will be better than last year though it may not seem so with the type of schedule they have. Orange will definately be better if their new coach can develop a better Oline. Outside of Hilliard Bradley of the last couple of years, Dublin Coffman and PC, The Olentangy’s do well against everyone else which I would think puts them above average, Orange did beat Coffman pretty soundly last year and Liberty seems to own UA.

Sure, I can agree with slightly above average for the district. However, outside of Liberty none of them have even BEEN to a regional final let alone win a D1 region. Even all the D2 years the schools have had the Olentangy Braves only went to (and won) one regional final.

The “they still beat Orange and Liberty” comment. Those were the “good” wins? They beat 3-7 Liberty in OT and 4-6 Orange by 7. Never said Berlin was bad just average or slightly above. I do not think Canal is great either but they won their OCC division too. Beat some of the central Ohio big boys consistently, make a playoff run, something of merit not Thomas Worthington and Jerome. By the way losing your QB is not an excuse to lose by 3 possessions and only score 7 points in a playoff game. Obviously, not ideal, but everyone has injuries and put out better products than that, especially in a game of that magnitude.

Orange did beat Coffman and I definitely did not think Coffman was great (Which is the team I follow by the way) but I will take the 7-3 with regional final appearance with that schedule over Berlin’s season. I watched that game and Berlin had talent but looked like a mess that night.. I forgot quarterback was hurt so cancel the season.. great mentality.

Sure, I can agree with slightly above average for the district. However, outside of Liberty none of them have even BEEN to a regional final let alone win a D1 region. Even all the D2 years the schools have had the Olentangy Braves only went to (and won) one regional final.

The “they still beat Orange and Liberty” comment. Those were the “good” wins? They beat 3-7 Liberty in OT and 4-6 Orange by 7. Never said Berlin was bad just average or slightly above. I do not think Canal is great either but they won their OCC division too. Beat some of the central Ohio big boys consistently, make a playoff run, something of merit not Thomas Worthington and Jerome. By the way losing your QB is not an excuse to lose by 3 possessions and only score 7 points in a playoff game. Obviously, not ideal, but everyone has injuries and put out better products than that, especially in a game of that magnitude.

Orange did beat Coffman and I definitely did not think Coffman was great (Which is the team I follow by the way) but I will take the 7-3 with regional final appearance with that schedule over Berlin’s season. I watched that game and Berlin had talent but looked like a mess that night.. I forgot quarterback was hurt so cancel the season.. great mentality.
The qb had almost 2500 yards and over 25tds….it was a big loss. I think most of the olentangys maximize the talent they have. The levy failing actually helps berlin and liberty because that would have split them up again w/ a new hs in 27-28. Berlin is still one of the smallest D1 schools and about 25% of their enrollment is not interested in football and that number is increasing. Olentangy is attracting a certain clientele and it is not very football oriented.

I'll start by saying, I realize this entire post is a politely disguised troll, but I will go ahead and address all the points as though you are the completely clueless football "fan" that this post wants us to believe it is from.

Let's start with Olentangy.

In addition to flat out factually butchering their playoff record, drawing a conclusion that they are slightly above average at best this past decade is an absolutely clown shoes assertion on a level that should result in your expulsion from this board.

Olentangy's playoff record this past decade is 12-10. 12 playoff wins the last 10 years.

They made the state final 8 (regional final, as you put it) 3 of those 10 years. 2014 as division 2, 2015 as division 1, and 2019 as division 2. It's no wonder your post is full of such ignorant remarks when you can't even start with basic facts.

Regarding Berlin, a team in their 6th year of existence, they were competitive with several of the 10 best D1 teams last year. The game at Bradley they easily could have and should have won. Plays, first downs, yardage, were all dead even and Berlin was on the Bradley 25 about to score when the game ended.

And you clearly did not see the Coffman game and are going off 3rd party info, because Berlin held Coffman to 9 first downs, yardage was dead even, and Coffman got nearly 2/3 of their yards on 3 fluke plays (which they admittedly need to defend better if they want to win). The backup QB who had almost no snaps this season came in and completed 14/26 passes, but his 3 INTs ultimately turned the game and a late pk6 made the score look much worse than it was.

To suggest that they weren't on the same level as Coffman or couldn't have beaten them with their regular QB in is the opinion of someone who clearly knows nothing about football. And to suggest that they gave up on the season is insultingly stupid when you look at stats from the game.

A lot more I could say, but really not worth wasting any more time with someone this clueless.

I'll start by saying, I realize this entire post is a politely disguised troll, but I will go ahead and address all the points as though you are the completely clueless football "fan" that this post wants us to believe it is from.

Let's start with Olentangy.

In addition to flat out factually butchering their playoff record, drawing a conclusion that they are slightly above average at best this past decade is an absolutely clown shoes assertion on a level that should result in your expulsion from this board.

Olentangy's playoff record this past decade is 12-10. 12 playoff wins the last 10 years.

They made the state final 8 (regional final, as you put it) 3 of those 10 years. 2014 as division 2, 2015 as division 1, and 2019 as division 2. It's no wonder your post is full of such ignorant remarks when you can't even start with basic facts.

Regarding Berlin, a team in their 6th year of existence, they were competitive with several of the 10 best D1 teams last year. The game at Bradley they easily could have and should have won. Plays, first downs, yardage, were all dead even and Berlin was on the Bradley 25 about to score when the game ended.

And you clearly did not see the Coffman game and are going off 3rd party info, because Berlin held Coffman to 9 first downs, yardage was dead even, and Coffman got nearly 2/3 of their yards on 3 fluke plays (which they admittedly need to defend better if they want to win). The backup QB who had almost no snaps this season came in and completed 14/26 passes, but his 3 INTs ultimately turned the game and a late pk6 made the score look much worse than it was.

To suggest that they weren't on the same level as Coffman or couldn't have beaten them with their regular QB in is the opinion of someone who clearly knows nothing about football. And to suggest that they gave up on the season is insultingly stupid when you look at stats from the game.

A lot more I could say, but really not worth wasting any more time with someone this clueless.

You took that very personal. I heard wrong from a friend about Olentangy, it was one D1 regional final appearance not D2. Obviously, They did much better in D2 and can admit I was wrong. Coach Solis did a great job, prior to his tenure they did not win many playoff games with loads of talent but could be wrong and I think made zero regional finals prior to him?

Did you ever think the stats for Berlin/Coffman game were so comparable because Coffman had little respect for Berlin’s offense and didn’t have to do much to win the game by 3 possessions. Running the ball, hitting a couple play action passes over top and taking care of the ball was more than enough.

Six years no regional final appearances, no undefeated seasons, 7-11 regular season record vs teams with winning records (NOT including 1-9 inaugural year) and 5-5 in playoffs which playoffs wins aren’t what they used to be with everyone getting in.

And since you mentioned Bradly they also lost to 4-6 Bradley in 2022 but let me guess it’s ok they lost because they tried hard, made it close and should’ve won.

Berlin and Olentangy are both above average.. very good programs but you are not going to convince me they are GREAT programs especially over the last 6 years. Solis era at Olentangy I would call great. Your argument for Berlin is they “should’ve” Bradley, they FINALLY beat Liberty (now 1-3 vs them, in OT and Liberty had their worst record maybe since the school opened?) and they are almost as good as the least talented Coffman team we have seen in decades but still lost by 3 possessions. Give me Stokes and his Staff over Berlins any day.

Very good, not great.

Last edited:
You took that very personal. I heard wrong from a friend about Olentangy, it was one D1 regional final appearance not D2. Obviously, They did much better in D2 and can admit I was wrong. Coach Solis did a great job, prior to his tenure they did not win many playoff games with loads of talent but could be wrong and I think made zero regional finals prior to him?

Did you ever think the stats for Berlin/Coffman game were so comparable because Coffman had little respect for Berlin’s offense and didn’t have to do much to win the game by 3 possessions. Running the ball, hitting a couple play action passes over top and taking care of the ball was more than enough.

Six years no regional final appearances, no undefeated seasons, 7-11 regular season record vs teams with winning records (NOT including 1-9 inaugural year) and 5-5 in playoffs which playoffs wins aren’t what they used to be with everyone getting in.

And since you mentioned Bradly they also lost to 4-6 Bradley in 2022 but let me guess it’s ok they lost because they tried hard, made it close and should’ve won.

Berlin and Olentangy are both above average.. very good programs but you are not going to convince me they are GREAT programs especially over the last 6 years. Solis era at Olentangy I would call great. Your argument for Berlin is they “should’ve” Bradley, they FINALLY beat Liberty (now 1-3 vs them, in OT and Liberty had their worst record maybe since the school opened?) and they are almost as good as the least talented Coffman team we have seen in decades but still lost by 3 possessions. Give me Stokes and his Staff over Berlins any day.

Very good, not great.

I didn't take it the least bit personal. It's not about me at all.

But I do want to make sure the rest of the people reading this site understand when a person who draws laughably bad conclusions and circulates false information makes absolute trash posts like yours, that they get called out on it and the record corrected. It truly is sad that people who know so little about HS football and how to evaluate teams and games feel as entitled as you do to spew garbage.

Yes, given Olentangy spent 5 of the last 10 years in division 2 (and made the final 8 two of those years and the final 16 one other) it is correct to say that in the last 5 years Olentangy spent in division 1 they reached the final 8 once (and final 16 another time). Technically speaking, it was not a regional final because it was one of the years where there were only 2 division 1 regions.

Getting hung up on wins and losses isn't nearly as important as understanding how a program is doing in general.

And your comment that the Coffman team who reached a regional final is the "least talented in decades" confirms that your account here is either for the purpose of trolling or that you are a complete moron spewing thoughtless posts. Either way, there isn't any need to read anything further from you. I only have 2 people on my ignore list, congrats, you just made it 3.

It looks like Jayden Gwinn formerly of Westerville Central is now at Gahanna Lincoln per his twitter post visit to Miami Ohio. His lanyard had Gahanna Lincoln on it. 👀

It looks like Gahanna received another transfer from an OCC school. Per his twitter account, Chad Woodfork II is leaving HarryCrane's Dublin Coffman and going to Gahanna to play DB.

Maybe I am wrong but as of right now, I think the biggest story line is Reynoldsburg. What are they doing? I dont think the job has been posted even. I heard they still are trying to hire an AD before they hire a new HFC. This goes much longer, all the schools in that area are going to start poaching their kids, if they havent already!