2024 Federal League

Well personally I've never believed Massillon's accomplishments didn't mean anything just in the same way Ohio State went 30 or 40 years without a championship until they got one in '02.

Far as the Fed teams... if Lake goes pay-to-play, that's devastating because they have big numbers and have recently reclaimed some of their 90s glory when they went to the semifinals three or four times. I do think out of everybody else someone will pop up. I do not believe it will be McKinley for a lot of reasons. Whomever it is, it'll be an all-sports school. Jackson, GlenOak, or Green. Green already has but we'll see if it's sustainable.
While I think that Geis and his staff have done an outstanding job, and that Green football will continue to be competitive in the Federal League, I do not expect deep playoff runs to be the norm. Unfortunately, Green has had very small rosters and very little depth for the past few years. This year's senior class was large and will be hard to replace. Next year's senior class is solid, but not as big. Schaal and the Fortunato brothers are excellent, and Hunka getting game experience at QB last season should pay dividends for the offense in 2024. Martin's injury hurts a lot though. The 2023 freshman team only won one game, and I think was shut out in all but two games. Green has been very lucky having extremely talented classes two of the last three years. The talent level is just not going to be at the same level in the near future. I predict that Bulldogs won't be bad but won't be great either. Some way, somehow, Green needs to get their roster numbers up. From 2013-2021 Lake had a long run of 5-5 or 6-4 seasons, and were consistently competitive, but not especially successful in league play. Hoover had a similar period like that from 2016-2020, and Jackson from about 2011-2015. That is what I anticipate for Green football in the immediate future.

GlenOak is interesting, and I agree that there is potential there. They certainly have a bigger talent pool to draw from than either Green or Lake. But the Eagles have two problems. One, they can't seem to keep their star players from transferring. Two, they are undisciplined and shoot themselves in the foot time and time again with stupid penalties. 2023 should have been the year GlenOak won the Federal League, got a top 4 seed, and won multiple playoff games, but until the last few games of the regular season, the Eagles couldn't get out of their own way. They, like Green, lost a large and talented senior class. Avante Burt, Morrison, Ashcraft, Davis, and most of their excellent O-line is a lot to replace in one year, and Johnson transferring is just devastating. I could be wrong, but I expect only a 3 or 4 win campaign in 2024 for GlenOak.

As for Jackson, they really should be better in football than they are. I thought hiring Rohr would take them to the next level, but it hasn't happened. I'd like to see Jackson have at least one year where they prove the detractors wrong and beat McKinley and get to the third or fourth round of the playoffs. Maybe Ecrement can get them over the top? He is a very impressive QB. You guys were young across the board and, despite the disappointing ending, were still decent in 2023. I actually think Jackson has a good shot to finish second in 2024, behind only the Pups.

As for Jackson, they really should be better in football than they are. I thought hiring Rohr would take them to the next level, but it hasn't happened. I'd like to see Jackson have at least one year where they prove the detractors wrong and beat McKinley and get to the third or fourth round of the playoffs. Maybe Ecrement can get them over the top? He is a very impressive QB. You guys were young across the board and, despite the disappointing ending, were still decent in 2023. I actually think Jackson has a good shot to finish second in 2024, behind only the Pups.
I agree with your thoughts about Green and GlenOak in the short term. I think that the situation of GO losing players to McK is probably going to reverse in the opposite direction in the long term. That is an entirely different conversation about CCS decisions and the HOF Village and a new high school and a lot of other things.

As far as Jackson... the idea behind the Rohr hiring was basically "well, we have a great offense, let's get ourselves a defense too." But so far they've been marred by bad or confusing performances down the stretch. Between 2016-2021, they quietly held the second best in-league record. Since then, and keep in mind we're only talking about two seasons and youth is probably a factor, they have shot themselves in the foot repeatedly and are just a .500 team. If they repeat that in 2024, the detractors will have a field day as the Bears have never been everybody's favorite.

Until the last three years, the Panthers hadn’t had a losing season since 2013. That means 7 years of at least 7 wins. Along with at least one playoff win each of those 7 years. I believe from what I’ve seen of the last couple freshman classes, Perry should regain some respectability starting this year. With 9 starters back on both sides of the ball for 24, IMO, this is a very important year for Coach Slates.

Until the last three years, the Panthers hadn’t had a losing season since 2013. That means 7 years of at least 7 wins. Along with at least one playoff win each of those 7 years. I believe from what I’ve seen of the last couple freshman classes, Perry should regain some respectability starting this year. With 9 starters back on both sides of the ball for 24, IMO, this is a very important year for Coach Slates.
What’s the status of Slates? Are there a certain amount of games he will need to win to return in 2025? If so, what do you think that number is?

With that, which league coach has the hottest seat heading into 2024?

That depends on the standards and aspirations of the respective administrations. Performance that would get a coach booted at one school may be acceptable at another.

What’s the status of Slates? Are there a certain amount of games he will need to win to return in 2025? If so, what do you think that number is?

I’d say Slates is probably sitting on the hottest seat.

I have to imagine that Hall, Garcia, Geis and DeGeorge are all extremely safe.

Slates probably can't afford to finish last in the league for a fourth straight year.

If Hoover goes 5-5 again, there will be some Viking supporters who may want a change. There were some posters who wanted him gone at the end of last season. Rohr and Jackson need a winning season badly.

Slates is probably #1.

Baum #2. I actually think he's a fairly decent coach, I wouldn't say stellar. I'm not familiar with the details.

Rohr is not going anywhere unless Jackson collapses into 1-2 win seasons. Jackson has not just Rohr, but also former coaches Balderson and Mauro on staff. This is the setup they've committed to, they didn't want Budd, and I don't see it changing. It may work great, it may not.

You gotta have as many home grown coaches as you can. I only know slates by a few of his players, don't know the man. An outsiders opinion is He's had a lot of talent, including MAJOR talent that did not even go out. It sounds as tho there's a lot of talent in next years squad. If he's not able to do something with it then it's bye bye.

Say what you want about hertler jr. but that guy got the most out of his kids. I am not Hoover fan, but his teams were usually solid and tough to beat in the fed.

Honestly, the way things are trending, a team in the fed will need a generational talent class to win a state title in football. D1 and D2 are incredibly tough because of the Ed's and Hoban's of the world. I was glad to see Massillon beat Hoban for the title this year. I know that might be blasphemy on here for saying that.

And to the point on Jackson, they won't be relevant to threaten for a final four run until they care about their FB program as much as they do about baseball and basketball.

Slates is probably #1.

Baum #2. I actually think he's a fairly decent coach, I wouldn't say stellar. I'm not familiar with the details.

Rohr is not going anywhere unless Jackson collapses into 1-2 win seasons. Jackson has not just Rohr, but also former coaches Balderson and Mauro on staff. This is the setup they've committed to, they didn't want Budd, and I don't see it changing. It may work great, it may not.
Let me first day, I don't think anyone gets fired in the fed even after this year unless they do something to deserve it, it won't be based on wins and losses. Coaches aren't as easy to find as they once were.

Mauro left as soon as the season ended. Sounds like it wasn't a happy ending either.

Balderson was demoted from OC but is still on staff

Badre bardewil (spelling wrong) is allegedly calling the Offense.

Hoover will likely stick with Baum. I'd think it'd be an attractive job as they still support football in North Canton.

Slates has to win soon, but like Oil said, it's up to the admin and what standards they have.

Does anyone have the data on coaches in the Fed as far as time with current school, wins and losses, fed titles, etc?

Se
Say what you want about hertler jr. but that guy got the most out of his kids. I am not Hoover fan, but his teams were usually solid and tough to beat in the fed.

Honestly, the way things are trending, a team in the fed will need a generational talent class to win a state title in football. D1 and D2 are incredibly tough because of the Ed's and Hoban's of the world. I was glad to see Massillon beat Hoban for the title this year. I know that might be blasphemy on here for saying that.

And to the point on Jackson, they won't be relevant to threaten for a final four run until they care about their FB program as much as they do about baseball and basketball.
Serious question for Jackson fans:

Do you believe that the leadership of Gamble and Debevec is what separates those two programs success from the football teams success?

Do you believe that the leadership of Gamble and Debevec is what separates those two programs success from the football teams success?
No. Basketball is just ingrained in the community. Nothing wrong with that as obviously they're pretty good. I'm not trying to malign any specific football coach but it seems like a lot of politics over nothing from my outside perspective.

Se

Gamble maybe. Debevec maybe... they are more organized and seem to be solid communicators.

Baseball and Basketball just take more priority at Jackson, for kids and parents. That's ok too, football has been somewhat respectable for IMO being more of a second fiddle

Let it rip when you get a chance, if you don’t mind. Thank you @DaveDawg
Current Federal League coaches records all-games totals, ranked by win pct.

2021 - 2023 / Antonio Hall, McKinley ( 38 games, 23 wins and a winning percentage of 60.5%) FED CHAMPS 2022*-2023

2013 - 2023 / Dan DeGeorge, Lake (119 games, 68 wins and a winning percentage of 57.1%) FED CHAMPS 2022*

2015 - 2023 / Brian Baum, N. Canton ( 95 games, 53 wins and a winning percentage of 55.8%) FED CHAMPS 2018*-2021

07-18 & 21-23 / Scott Garcia, GlenOak (165 games, 90 wins and a winning percentage of 54.5%) FED CHAMPS 2015*

2019 - 2023 / Mark Geis, Green ( 58 games, 31 wins and a winning percentage of 53.4%)

2022 - 2023 / Jay Rohr, Jackson (23 games, 11 wins and a winning percentage of 47.8%)

2021 - 2023 / Zachary Slates, Perry ( 32 games, 10 wins and a winning percentage of 31.3%)

* denotes co-conference champions

Last edited:
Current Federal League coaches records all-games totals, ranked by win pct.

2021 - 2023 / Antonio Hall, McKinley ( 38 games, 23 wins and a winning percentage of 60.5%) FED CHAMPS 2022*-2023

2015 - 2023 / Tim Budd, Jackson ( 98 games, 59 wins and a winning percentage of 60.2%) FED CHAMPS 2017*

2013 - 2023 / Dan DeGeorge, Lake (119 games, 68 wins and a winning percentage of 57.1%) FED CHAMPS 2022*

2015 - 2023 / Brian Baum, N. Canton ( 95 games, 53 wins and a winning percentage of 55.8%) FED CHAMPS 2018*-2021

07-18 & 21-23 / Scott Garcia, GlenOak (165 games, 90 wins and a winning percentage of 54.5%) FED CHAMPS 2015*

2019 - 2023 / Mark Geis, Green ( 58 games, 31 wins and a winning percentage of 53.4%)

2021 - 2023 / Zachary Slates, Perry ( 32 games, 10 wins and a winning percentage of 31.3%)

* denotes co-conference champions
Dave...Tim Budd is no longer coach at Jackson...Jay Rohr has been there the last two years

The tentative conference schedules as of Tuesday, April 2, 2024...
View attachment 56744
Jackson’s Official 2024 schedule
08/23 A Mentor
08/30 H Austintown Fitch
09/06 H Stow-Munroe Falls
09/13 A Mayfield
09/20 A Uniontown Green
09/27 A Massillon Perry
10/04 H Uniontown Lake
10/11 H Canton GlenOak
10/18 A Canton McKinley
10/25 H North Canton Hoover

Perry’s 24 Schedule

Attachments

• IMG_5342.jpeg
    IMG_5342.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 95
GlenOak hosting Villa Angela- St Joseph in the opener could be an interesting game. VASJ has been solid the last three years. Upset Kenston in the playoffs last fall. I believe Euclid's former head coach, from the time they were winning Region 1 playoff games, is the coach at VASJ now.