2023 Volleyball Season

Let the fun begin in Region 4

Ursuline vs Kings - Kings beat Ursuline a month ago with only one set being competitive but UA just beat MND & Turpin to win the District. Outside UA's fan base, wouldn't doubt it if this is the crowd favorite to come out of the Region

SUA vs Seton - tossup?

Both games should be a dog fight!

Last edited:
Can anyone beat Lake Catholic in Division 3? They look almost impossible to beat IMO
Can someone, ya. Will someone, probably not. I obviously want to see a Championship between St. Henry and Lake Catholic. Would love to see them in person, and you never know maybe the Lady Skins could pull off the upset.

NEO takes:

Division I: Should be a Jackson v St Joe's Regional final at Hudson and could be a good game but I give the nod to St Joe's. I just noticed that they have the NEO and SWO on the same side of the state final 4 bracket, kind of stinks as those are probably the two toughest Regions. Not sure if one of the Avons has the depth to take the other Regional with NWO teams.

Division II: Got to think the winner of Marlington v Kenston takes the Alliance Regional. Not sure what to make of Padua, they have the name but against the better comp they have played they have not gotten positive results. Regardless the winner here probably gets rolled in the state semi by one of the SWO sides. Gilmour sleep walks through their regional in Lexington and I would be surprised if they lose a set.

Div III: Lake Catholic. Side show could be a potential Regional final against Smithville and their gaudy 25-1 record, these folks do not like Catholic schools from big cities and will not be too thrilled if they get boat raced in 3 which is highly likely.

Div IV: Is Calvert considered NEO? If so that would be the only hope.

By the way from the basketball forum... There is talk of expanding the number of Divisions and volleyball could be included. This thing would look a lot different if there were 6 Divisions and could open up things for the smaller schools. At the top end though I just see the same names shuffling around and while an Avon might drop down to a new Div II there could be a St Joe's following them along.

Any other takes?

Can someone, ya. Will someone, probably not. I obviously want to see a Championship between St. Henry and Lake Catholic. Would love to see them in person, and you never know maybe the Lady Skins could pull off the upset.
The way the brackets are set up, LC would meet St. Henry’s in the semifinals. LC is no feel good story. They are a private school from a wealthy community. But, man they are good. They have about five or six girls that can put the ball down with authority. They have great blocking and play outstanding defense. I’d love to see a team push them in the playoffs this season

The way the brackets are set up, LC would meet St. Henry’s in the semifinals. LC is no feel good story. They are a private school from a wealthy community. But, man they are good. They have about five or six girls that can put the ball down with authority. They have great blocking and play outstanding defense. I’d love to see a team push them in the playoffs this season
Oh I know. I was just saying I hope to play them because I want to see them in person, and it would mean St. Henry would make it there. When your from St Henry you become acutely aware of how people treat Catholic schools, even when they are mistaken haha. Finally, I know it doesn't matter but I'd put our history up against anything in the state, so no matter how unlikely I want to play them for the chance to beat them. Obviously we need to get there too, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I'm far from a Lake Catholic fan but they are a middle class community program that plays rock solid volleyball. Unlike say an affluent prep school like Gilmour that draws girls from all over the place this program zeroes in on the CYO programs in Lake County and leverages a strong alumni coach to pilot this thing, they have sorority feel to their team. A community is more than geography and Lake Catholic does a good job in this sport of leveraging things like common beliefs and culture for success.

Mentor also won their District, it has been a good year for Lake County volleyball.

I live in Mentor and my kids went to Lake Catholic. It’s hardly a wealthy community. But nice try.

Is that higher than last year? I feel like regional and state tickets are always higher than the district level
Great question - not sure but just doesn't feel right to increase like that especially if you want to watch both Regional D1 games in SWO with it being over 2 nights

Kings beat Ursuline 3-2, reverse sweep. Kings has some serious offensive power and Ursuline gave them all they wanted. It will be all about the matchups.
UA's coach should be considered the coach of the year in the city - 0-8 in the league then coached her team up to the Regionals and was within a play or 2 to going to the Regional finals.

Local coaches from St Henry, New Bremen, Crestview, Ft Loramie and Shawnee chat about their matchups tonight:

Who beat Seton?
SUA in 5
UA's coach should be considered the coach of the year in the city - 0-8 in the league then coached her team up to the Regionals and was within a play or 2 to going to the Regional finals.
You probably right about UA Coach being COY in SW Ohio. I think the Kings Coach will get that award though, especially if they Win Saturday afternoon.