2022-2023 General Discussion

Start a championship game featuring two east coast teams at 9:30pm so the west coast gamblers can watch... how'd that go?

EDIT: Oops, forgot san diego was in this game. Was thinking Miami.

Last edited:
they got it back to within 11, held UConn below their season norm and the point differential wasn't that far removed. You did ok with your prediction I think. Like many tournament, UConn got lucky draw. This was very much a match-up tournament, not one dominated by one team.
UConn would’ve beaten anyone in the field. This was a demolition derby featuring a bunch of unwitting junkyard cars.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

UConn would’ve beaten anyone in the field. This was a demolition derby featuring a bunch of unwitting junkyard cars.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Would have liked to have seen a healthy Texas or UCLA vs them. UCONN still would have beaten both though.

Filipowski coming back should put Duke as preseason #1.
Saw Mgbako asked out of his NLI and wondered who would replace him. Checked who else they had committed and realized they had 2 other 5* PFs committed already. In addition to the height they already have on the team, was Scheyer just planning on throwing out a line up four guys 6’8” or taller and a PG?

Saw Mgbako asked out of his NLI and wondered who would replace him. Checked who else they had committed and realized they had 2 other 5* PFs committed already. In addition to the height they already have on the team, was Scheyer just planning on throwing out a line up four guys 6’8” or taller and a PG?
Mgbako had OSU on his list before committing to Duke. I doubt he ends up here, and some of that may depend on what Sensabaugh does. But it will be interesting to watch regardless.

I have no idea, but I’m glad to see them shift away from being so reliant on one & dones. You can’t win in March w/o experience, it’s proven. However, you should still take the truly elite freshman like Zion or Banchero, but they shouldn’t be the core of the team.

Ohio has added two high-major players in the portal this week in Shareef Mitchell (Creighton) and Ike Cornish (Maryland)

Still have two spots open. Need a big unless we are embracing small ball (I would not be opposed to this)

Ohio has added two high-major players in the portal this week in Shareef Mitchell (Creighton) and Ike Cornish (Maryland)

Still have two spots open. Need a big unless we are embracing small ball (I would not be opposed to this)
This musical chairs transferring is a big reason why nobody watches college hoops anymore until the tourney. You have no chance to “fall in love” with a team. The cast changes too frequently. If a school like OU hits the jackpot on a recruiting class, they might not even get the rewards. Those guys transfer up to higher majors, OU gets transfers to replace them from lower majors…and on and on.

This musical chairs transferring is a big reason why nobody watches college hoops anymore until the tourney. You have no chance to “fall in love” with a team. The cast changes too frequently. If a school like OU hits the jackpot on a recruiting class, they might not even get the rewards. Those guys transfer up to higher majors, OU gets transfers to replace them from lower majors…and on and on.
Ohio certainly would've been a different team last year if Mark Sears had not transferred to Bama and Ben Vander Plas had not transferred to Virginia.

It is frustrating but Ohio has been able to add solid pieces through the portal as replacements. Need to get lucky in the portal now instead of through recruiting hs guys...

Possibly nine years of college basketball? Time to get on with your life, Tommy Boy. Jeesh. I hated Covid for many reasons, and one of them is the creation of these college sports lifers.

He’s not that good, marginal NBA prospect.

Doesn't really matter, because every news and sports outlet will be following his every move, which is good for publicity and advertising income. Today, isn't that more important than actual skills?.....Unfortunately.

Doesn't really matter, because every news and sports outlet will be following his every move, which is good for publicity and advertising income. Today, isn't that more important than actual skills?.....Unfortunately.
I feel somewhat bad for him. He’s a really good HS player, and under normal circumstances, would be a solid 3-4 yr player at USC. However, the expectations of him based on his name, are unrealistic.

Possibly nine years of college basketball? Time to get on with your life, Tommy Boy. Jeesh. I hated Covid for many reasons, and one of them is the creation of these college sports lifers.
This guy's going to have so many degrees and credentials fully paid for by the time he's done. This is a ridiculous scenario, but I applaud him. If I was him I'd try to go back to Harvard or another Ivy League school to add to his undergrad degree from Harvard and whatever graduate degree(s) he's earned in three years at Ohio State.

This guy's going to have so many degrees and credentials fully paid for by the time he's done. This is a ridiculous scenario, but I applaud him. If I was him I'd try to go back to Harvard or another Ivy League school to add to his undergrad degree from Harvard and whatever graduate degree(s) he's earned in three years at Ohio State.
I was thinking the same. Go to Penn and get an MBA, or get a doctorate from Harvard. At least max the education of the nine years of college hoops.

Seems like a more appropriate place for gossip than the college football forum...

Have had some interesting water cooler chatter this week regarding possible Big East realignment i.e. UConn going to the Big 12, which has had a decent amount of online chatter Folks at UD seem to really like their chances to jump from the A10 to the Big East along with possibly St. Louis in such a scenario.

In terms of college basketball, UD is consistently top 20-25 in attendance (13k+ per home game) and has a massive following in a smaller Dayton metro market. A very big chunk of Ohio State's Dayton metro football viewership is Dayton basketball viewership. UD would sellout all of their league games if they were in the Big East. St. Louis has been consistently averaging 7,500-8,000 per home game in a 10k+ seat arena, and I imagine would be 90% capacity plus regularly if playing Big East opponents.

Both of those schools definitely fit the Big East mold...older Catholic universities in urban areas, solid basketball tradition (Dayton has over 1,700 wins and is 40th all-time in D1 wins, St. Louis has over 1,500).

Both play at arenas within 15 minutes of international airports. Easy travel if looking to add inventory/content going to 12 league members.