2022-2023 General Discussion

Well that’s simple. All OSU has to do is what UConn did: kill the football program so all resources and NIL funds go to basketball and you’ll get your dream. At least we’d no longer have to listen to you b*tch about the football program.
UConn really had never a footballl program to kill. They were a low level MAC school not long ago.

Well that’s simple. All OSU has to do is what UConn did: kill the football program so all resources and NIL funds go to basketball and you’ll get your dream. At least we’d no longer have to listen to you b*tch about the football program.
Or they could just kill all the non revenue generating sports that nobody cares about and invest a lot into basketball.

UConn has won 5 titles under 3 different coaches. 3 with Calhoun who cheated but media rarely ever mentions that, one under Ollie who also cheated again the media has forgotten that, and now one under Hurley. Moral of the story when it comes to sports the end justifies the means.

Or they could just kill all the non revenue generating sports that nobody cares about and invest a lot into basketball.
How much do you think the women’s rifle team is getting in NIL money? Killing those programs won’t increase NIL funds for the basketball team. They are competing with the football team.

Why even have a rifle team just a waste of resources as are many of the other non revenue sports at OSU.
I have no inside track on this, although I’ve heard Wexner’s wife’s love of horses is essentially why there’s an equestrian team, so it’s just a guess on my part: the academics who run the university want to serve all student athletes, not just the money makers. Maybe it’s Gene, as he certainly always seems proud to point out how robust the OSU AD’s offerings are. But my guess is it comes from higher up than him.

Last edited:
Why even have a rifle team just a waste of resources as are many of the other non revenue sports at OSU.
Ohio State and the B1G are about overall quality of life for students and offering as many and a variety of varsity sports is part of that mission. Many of these take away few resources as they are niche and have low costs. They are also not fully funded which means many of the athletes are getting partial scholarships and pay the difference out of pocket. Finally Title IX plays a big part, sports like synchro swimming help gets girls scholarships to make up for all those football scholarships that make compliance difficult.

Then on the flipside you have the SEC which is only worried about a couple high profile sports and some schools only offer a handful a men's varsity sports so they are Title IX compliant. LSU has only 7 men's sports, most high schools in Ohio offer more boys varsity sports then that. The SEC doesn't even have Men's Soccer listed as a sport let alone wrestling and the increasingly popular lacrosse. So basically the SEC is a minor league for the NFL, NBA, WNBA, & MLB in team sports and the PGA & WTA in individual sports. They might as well treat these kids as pros and ditch the student label.

I'm pretty sure that out of all P5 schools only Stanford offers as many varsity sports as Ohio State.

If they didn't cut anything when they took out that $50+ million loan for COVID year losses...I'd imagine there's no appetite to do so. Having an enormous athletic department seems to be a major point of pride.

Ohio State and the B1G are about overall quality of life for students and offering as many and a variety of varsity sports is part of that mission. Many of these take away few resources as they are niche and have low costs. They are also not fully funded which means many of the athletes are getting partial scholarships and pay the difference out of pocket. Finally Title IX plays a big part, sports like synchro swimming help gets girls scholarships to make up for all those football scholarships that make compliance difficult.

Then on the flipside you have the SEC which is only worried about a couple high profile sports and some schools only offer a handful a men's varsity sports so they are Title IX compliant. LSU has only 7 men's sports, most high schools in Ohio offer more boys varsity sports then that. The SEC doesn't even have Men's Soccer listed as a sport let alone wrestling and the increasingly popular lacrosse. So basically the SEC is a minor league for the NFL, NBA, WNBA, & MLB in team sports and the PGA & WTA in individual sports. They might as well treat these kids as pros and ditch the student label.
Shocking and is it a wonder why the SEC is so good in football, bball ( not dominant but better than BIG), baseball.

This post is not aging well so far. This makes 3 straight rounds watching SDSU. When will I realize they simply can't shoot?
they got it back to within 11, held UConn below their season norm and the point differential wasn't that far removed. You did ok with your prediction I think. Like many tournament, UConn got lucky draw. This was very much a match-up tournament, not one dominated by one team.

they got it back to within 11, held UConn below their season norm and the point differential wasn't that far removed. You did ok with your prediction I think. Like many tournament, UConn got lucky draw. This was very much a match-up tournament, not one dominated by one team.
Uconn's avg. margin of victory was 16 - 17 pts. per game. They played like a complete team; it was one of the most dominating tourney performances by any national champion.

Shocking and is it a wonder why the SEC is so good in football, bball ( not dominant but better than BIG), baseball.
At the expense of being a well rounded academic institution? At one time the Pac 12, ACC, and B1G tried to make NCAA membership dependent on a minimum number of varsity scholarshipped sports but the SEC sold the smaller conference schools that this was not a good thing and would cost them $s; it was voted down. Bottom line is the SEC would lower their institutional bar to win in sports, is that a good thing in the long run? By the way Denison University with 2K in students, has a 40% larger endowment then LSU with 30K undergrad students. Either LSU's grads could care less about giving back to the school or they are graduating and not getting well paying jobs. But then again they do have enough $s in "donations" to the football team to give Orgeron $17million to go away...

How much do you think the women’s rifle team is getting in NIL money? Killing those programs won’t increase NIL funds for the basketball team. They are competing with the football team.
Who said anything about NIL funds? I’m talking about the money the university uses from which the football/basketball teams generate. Use that money and build the best basketball facilities and come up with something innovative to attract recruits. Oh ya, also hiring an elite coach instead of a scrub like Holtmann would work too especially when you didn’t have the money to fire him during the season because of his enormous buyout.

7h082e.jpg

Who said anything about NIL funds? I’m talking about the money the university uses from which the football/basketball teams generate. Use that money and build the best basketball facilities and come up with something innovative to attract recruits. Oh ya, also hiring an elite coach instead of a scrub like Holtmann would work too especially when you didn’t have the money to fire him during the season because of his enormous buyout.
.….how do you think you get talent in todays college basketball world? 🤦🏻‍♂️

I hope you do know that sports programs at most Universities standing on their own are money losers. Now the B1G & SEC are in a much better position due to their TV deals but I am guessing 90% of the NCAA schools have to supplement their varsity sports, they do this through things like student "activity" fees.

10-15 years ago most, if not all, MAC schools had some type of "activity" fee close to if not above $1,000 that the majority of went to subsidizing athletics so they could have a D1 football program.

I hope you do know that sports programs at most Universities standing on their own are money losers. Now the B1G & SEC are in a much better position due to their TV deals but I am guessing 90% of the NCAA schools have to supplement their varsity sports, they do this through things like student "activity" fees.
Yes, that's pretty obvious.

OSU was never in on Tarris Reed after getting Okpara. Efton Reid was pre NIL. Nice try though.
There’s a reason OSU offered Reed first and shifted from Reed to his teammate Okpara. Although I hope Reed never develops and flames out. Reid committed less than 2 months before NIL became official. If you think LSU, who was caught paying players under Wade, wasn’t discussing it with recruits then I don’t know what to tell you.

There’s a reason OSU offered Reed first and shifted from Reed to his teammate Okpara. Although I hope Reed never develops and flames out. Reid committed less than 2 months before NIL became official. If you think LSU, who was caught paying players under Wade, wasn’t discussing it with recruits then I don’t know what to tell you.
What reason would that be? Maybe they liked Okpara better after scouting the team more or they realized Reed was going to Michigan anyway NIL or not? Also, you can’t move the goal posts of your original argument. Paying recruits pre NIL is different than actually using NIL. OSU has had plenty of success recruiting in basketball pre and post NIL so blaming NIL is just lazy.

What reason would that be? Maybe they liked Okpara better after scouting the team more or they realized Reed was going to Michigan anyway NIL or not? Also, you can’t move the goal posts of your original argument. Paying recruits pre NIL is different than actually using NIL. OSU has had plenty of success recruiting in basketball pre and post NIL so blaming NIL is just lazy.
It’s not moving any goalposts just because you don’t like the answer lol. Reid was set to commit to OSU until LSU swooped in and offered an NIL bag once it became legal, which everyone knew was going to happen in a matter of months.

It’s not moving any goalposts just because you don’t like the answer lol. Reid was set to commit to OSU until LSU swooped in and offered an NIL bag once it became legal, which everyone knew was going to happen in a matter of months.
Efton Reid committed on May 9th of 2021. NIL went into effect on July 1st of 2021.