2018 Football

Since I was there too, I will add my two cents...

Crable deserved to start and proved it. 2014 team had a great defense especially the DBs. Great Leadership

Macvittie was a very good quarterback and proved it when healthy his Senior Year

Ryan Smith did not play a down Senior year. Dotson was out much of the year.
Multiple offensive linemen were injured in 2015. Coughlin was 5 of 14 kicking field goals. Unfortunately the 2015 team can go down as a nice boat that didn't tether the sail well.

I have seen some poor play this year, but this one so far is absolutely brutal. You run the second half kickoff back to the 40 yard line and end up punting from your endzone. Awful.

One year after the debacle of 2017 this program presents it's fan base with an encore performance. See you next year folks.

Isn’t the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Tonight was the offense in a nutshell this year. I don’t think I have ever seen a worse Moeller offense. No changes from previous weeks....same thing. The defense was nonexistent tonight. Elder punted I think once. This......was.....ugly!

I am sure Kballer will spin this into something positive.

Ha- is that what I am known for, being positive? Guilty! Tonight sucked, BUT this program is in great hands. Rosfeld is the right man for the job and has some talent rising. Speaking of jobs...how about those refs tonight?!

One year after the debacle of 2017 this program presents it's fan base with an encore performance. See you next year folks.

Encore performance my . This program went 8-1 in GCL play on 3 levels and GCL champions on all 3 levels. This team never quit no matter what the score was in any game. Shoutout to these seniors for righting the ship and putting Big Moe back on the map.

Encore performance my . This program went 8-1 in GCL play on 3 levels and GCL champions on all 3 levels. This team never quit no matter what the score was in any game. Shoutout to these seniors for righting the ship and putting Big Moe back on the map.

You are right. My comments were made in frustration. Ending on a skid and outscored 80-0 in two playoff games is what put me over the edge. Kudos to Coach and the seniors for giving it your all. Better days are ahead for sure. My apologies to any posters that were offended by my comments. GBM

Ha- is that what I am known for, being positive? Guilty! Tonight sucked, BUT this program is in great hands. Rosfeld is the right man for the job and has some talent rising. Speaking of jobs...how about those refs tonight?!

My comment was meant to be a compliment...

but you let me down on the Ref comments.

Light hearted joke- couldn’t resist. The interference call changed the momentum of the game but I don’t think it untilmately would have mattered as far as the outcome just the score. It was easy to see why Bittner won GCL player of the year- he was impressive this game even against a defense that came out very flat. I would be curious to see how this offenses stats stack up to years past. So few first downs most games and with RJ getting neutralized very low yardage.

On a lighter side, here is the 2019 football schedule:

Fri Aug 23 @Highlands, KY (Cov Cath backed out)
Fri Aug 30 @Louisville Trinity
Fri Sept 6 Lafayette, KY
Fri Sept 13 @WintonWoods
Fri Sept 20 St X @Nippert
Fri Sept 27 LaSalle
Fri Oct 4 @Elder
Sat Oct 12 St Ignatius
Sat Oct 19 @Ed’s
Fri Oct 25 St. Joesephs Prep, Canada @Moeller’s back field

Last edited:

Fri Sept 6 Lafayette, KY
Fri Sept 13 @WintonWoods
Fri Sept 27 LaSalle
Fri Oct 4 @Elder
Sat Oct 12 St Ignatius
Sat Oct 19 @Ed’s

Thanks for posting. Watching this team, I couldn't help to notice the lack of Juniors on the field. This team next year seems like they will be young? Is it to early to start a 2019 thread? I'm curious to hear from other Moe fans on what they think about next years team? Will a talented Frosh class include Sophomores being counted on in 2019?

Fri Sept 6 Lafayette, KY
Fri Sept 13 @WintonWoods
Fri Sept 27 LaSalle
Fri Oct 4 @Elder
Sat Oct 12 St Ignatius
Sat Oct 19 @Ed’s

I believe the last game is on Saturday (did this also in 2017)- no lights to host a Friday night game?

Thanks for posting. Watching this team, I couldn't help to notice the lack of Juniors on the field. This team next year seems like they will be young? Is it to early to start a 2019 thread? I'm curious to hear from other Moe fans on what they think about next years team? Will a talented Frosh class include Sophomores being counted on in 2019?

Your observations are correct- the class of ‘20 is a little thin. Richter, Toepfer, Valentine, Doggett, Land, Thibadeaux are the ones I can think of off hand that started/got significant minutes- which they all had some very good moments this season. Will be curious to see if sophomore Rotello continues to play both football and lacrosse- he is impressive at both.

This year was unique: a large class of seniors who despite some serious talent hadn’t found team success since they began their Moeller Football careers. Also, The beginnings of a program reset under the new coaching staff will be challenged next year as they don’t have the experienced players they inherited this year.

I have never seen a team win the GCL South 3-0 and not have a QB make any of the all GCL teams. The QB position this year was non existent but says a ton for the defense. Defense needs to step up tonight at the Pit.

The contrast at QB position Friday night was jaw dropping- Bittner was the best player on the field, not just the better QB. Couldn’t help but wonder what could have been with McBrid leading this group of seniors.

The contrast at QB position Friday night was jaw dropping- Bittner was the best player on the field, not just the better QB. Couldn’t help but wonder what could have been with McBrid leading this group of seniors.

Bittner has been the best QB in every game he has played this season. His numbers are good, but would be even better had 80% of the games not been played in heavy rain. He even does some things better than the coaches son, Peyton Ramsey, who is at IU. His only offer that I am aware of is to Butler.

For what its worth, Elder loses almost all its big-time contributors to graduation as well.

Fri Sept 6 Lafayette, KY
Fri Sept 13 @WintonWoods
Fri Sept 27 LaSalle
Fri Oct 4 @Elder
Sat Oct 12 St Ignatius
Sat Oct 19 @Ed’s

Another brutal schedule but that's the way Moe likes it. 6-4 or 5-5 may be the record again. Starting with WW that is six quality, hard hitting opponents in a row.

Moe needs to get Verdon ready for next season. Kid has tremendous potential. A new OC wouldn't hurt either.

Light hearted joke- couldn’t resist. The interference call changed the momentum of the game but I don’t think it untilmately would have mattered as far as the outcome just the score. It was easy to see why Bittner won GCL player of the year- he was impressive this game even against a defense that came out very flat. I would be curious to see how this offenses stats stack up to years past. So few first downs most games and with RJ getting neutralized very low yardage.

I think that it has to be the first time in the last 15-20 years that we don't have a QB on the team with at least 1000 yards passing and above 45% completion percentage. with no passing game, you can load the box and take off on the backfield and they did. The running stats definitely stack up with the best and the defense, aside from the last 2 games, was comparable to the good M teams. With no passing game, when someone gets a lead, it is very hard to battle back playing the "3 yards and a clue of dust" football. I was hopeful the Verdon could be ready this year but this will be a huge summer for him.

I think that it has to be the first time in the last 15-20 years that we don't have a QB on the team with at least 1000 yards passing and above 45% completion percentage. with no passing game, you can load the box and take off on the backfield and they did. The running stats definitely stack up with the best and the defense, aside from the last 2 games, was comparable to the good M teams. With no passing game, when someone gets a lead, it is very hard to battle back playing the "3 yards and a clue of dust" football. I was hopeful the Verdon could be ready this year but this will be a huge summer for him.
That’s not just on our QB- our best option Khayo, was under double coverage constantly. There were so many good passes dropped with no contact form other players. Also, lack of use of TEs, and constantly under pressure from Defense didn’t help. Not saying he is absolved but the offensive struggles do not fall squarely in QB lap.

I believe the last game is on Saturday (did this also in 2017)- no lights to host a Friday night game?

With it being the last game of the season, the staff wanted a full week before playoffs and not to prepare on a short week. That is why it’s scheduled for Friday. The Canadians didn’t mind. The lights will be pop up “temporary” like construction. -Loop Hole- if for some reason the light thing falls through, it will be played at Lockland and we’ll know well in advance. Another note, they are considering moving the game up to 6pm as well...so the neighbors can fall asleep by 9pm

Last edited:
With it being the last game of the season, the staff wanted a full week before playoffs and not to prepare on a short week. That is why it’s scheduled for Friday. The Canadians didn’t mind. The lights will be pop up “temporary” like construction. -Loop Hole- if for some reason the light thing falls through, it will be played at Lockland and we’ll know well in advance. Another note, they are considering moving the game up to 6pm as well...so the neighbors can fall asleep by 9pm

What is your take on 2019 team and future of the program?

That’s not just on our QB- our best option Khayo, was under double coverage constantly. There were so many good passes dropped with no contact form other players. Also, lack of use of TEs, and constantly under pressure from Defense didn’t help. Not saying he is absolved but the offensive struggles do not fall squarely in QB lap.

I wouldn't bash the QB's but they get credit when they won but once defenses realized the QB's were not adept at completing the tough passes, they loaded the box. I guess Verdon has a couple offers as an athlete but neither QB is a college level QB. Verdon is young and could be a good RPO guy in the future but the starters not on Ernst (Old Dom) or lamp's (Miami) level.

The D1 playoffs are on Saturday’s again starting 2019 instead of Friday’s. Therefore the last Moe game might be on a Sat afternoon at Moe week 10.

It seems to me that it would be better to have week 10 open than to play this game. Moe gets almost no help in the Harbins and risks unnecessary injuries by playing this game. Not many fans could even get to watch the game with the limited seating. Having an open date would give Moe more Harbins and let them heal up before the playoffs.

It seems to me that it would be better to have week 10 open than to play this game. Moe gets almost no help in the Harbins and risks unnecessary injuries by playing this game. Not many fans could even get to watch the game with the limited seating. Having an open date would give Moe more Harbins and let them heal up before the playoffs.

I think there are two benefits to the Canadian game at Moeller. The first is that I think the players would love having a true home game, on the field they practice on every day. It is also a great opportunity for the seniors who don't get playing time to see the field, on their home turf, the last game of the season.

I understand the concern about injuries but the fact is they can happen at any time. Play the starters one quarter and then put in 2 and 3rd teams

Couldn't agree more. This season was a good change for the team and culture and I really like what Rosfeld and his staff are doing for the program. And I would agree about the refs...seemed like they were watching a totally different game.

I think there are two benefits to the Canadian game at Moeller. The first is that I think the players would love having a true home game, on the field they practice on every day. It is also a great opportunity for the seniors who don't get playing time to see the field, on their home turf, the last game of the season.

I understand the concern about injuries but the fact is they can happen at any time. Play the starters one quarter and then put in 2 and 3rd teams

I agree- it could be a really cool environment! They added seating with the stands moved over from the soccer side the last time- I think they brought in more bleachers also. I just hope the admins don’t make the mistake they did last time and had the other levels of the program playing in another state for that game. Those younger grade kids and their families should be there as part of the program to honor the seniors on their day.