#PACtion™ 2024

Well if you are going to play Carly Simon when she looked fantastic then you need to run to Hartville this weekend...lol

Pre-Sale tickets to get a photo with or your item autographed by PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING HALL OF FAMER Hacksaw Jim Duggan at the signing at All Star Sports Gallery in the Hartville Marketplace on Saturday April 20th at 11:00AM

Then again if Hacksaw is not your cup of tea...how about Captain Kirk

But being a Slaw man....I have found the exciting trio you want and adore

PAC Game of the Year - 2006 | Tusky Valley (2-2, 1-0 PAC) at Tuslaw (4-0, 1-0 PAC) | Week 5 | September 22, 2006
This is the seventh in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.

If you've been following along for the first seven weeks, this PAC Game of the Year series has been a bit of a Manchester Panthers Greatest Games feature. The Panthers dominated the first 16 years of PAC play in a way that we will never see again. But Tusky Valley finally used its slingshot and felled the giant in the 2005 meeting to become only the second team in 17 years to wrestle the conference championship away from the Panthers.

As the 2006 campaign dawned and ultimately played out, perhaps for the first time in conference history, there was a bit of parity amongst the top teams. We'll get the particulars out of the way early. Tuslaw and Tusky Valley tied for the conference championship in 2006. Both finished with 5-1 league marks, but Tuslaw only lost once all season, en route to a 9-1 campaign. Tusky Valley, on the other hand, struggled outside of the conference and finished the regular season 6-4.

Still, Manchester had a chance to create a three-way tie for the conference championship heading into Week 10 at home against CVCA. That game had been postponed on the final Friday night of the season due to poor field conditions and moved from James R. France Stadium to Twinsburg. The Royals throttled the Panthers 20-0, to thwart the Panthers conference title aspirations and knock the Panthers out of the playoffs for the first time in 16 years; the win allowed the Royals to punch their own playoff ticket. Both teams finished 4-2 in the conference, tied for third. The final PAC tilt of the season would have been a good choice at the PAC Game of the Year, as the Royals finished the regular season 8-2 and the Panthers fell to 7-3.

Two weeks earlier, Tuslaw and Manchester matched up in pivotal game won by the Mustangs at France Stadium 23-19 - another worthy Game of the Year candidate, and you can watch 33 minutes of game highlights from that contest here:

But let there be no question that The Game of the Year for 2006 in the PAC happened on the tall grass of Kurtz Stadium at Tuslaw on Friday night, September 22nd. The Mustangs entered Week 5 undefeated, dismissing Rittman, Dalton, Chippewa and Triway in the season's first four weeks. And they did it averaging nearly 46 points a game. Conversely, Tusky Valley was 2-2 heading into Week 5. The Trojans dropped the first two games of the year at home (22-12 vs. Waynedale and 20-14 in overtime vs. Indian Valley). But they righted the ship to crawl back to .500 with wins at Garaway 28-21 and at home over CVCA 40-14. In retrospect, that win over the Royals was a really good win and should have set the stage for what was to transpire in Week 5.

But despite being defending conference champions, it's unlikely that anyone could have predicted what was about to play out on the Tuslaw turf.

As an aside, in frequent discussions on this site, there may be a recency bias when discussing the greatest PAC players of all-time. Naturally, the discussion turns to Marquael Parks and Ethan Wright and current Las Vegas Raider Tre Tucker. But the 2006 season had two of the greatest to suit up playing on Friday nights in CVCA's John Pettigrew and this kid doing it all for the Mustangs. Who you ask? Long timers don't have to hesitate with an answer. The Tuslaw faithful had the privilege of watching Ryan Travis.
ghows-OH-96c9de40-3ec9-3fbc-e053-0100007fa9d1-a7607532.jpeg

Travis carries the ball in a 2006 playoff game at Perry.

Travis went on to become a Division II All-American and is enshrined in the West Liberty University Hall of Fame. Former Tulsaw head coach Nate Held lobbied to have Travis' #44 retired. (Side note: As soon as Bellstores finishes its payment on the new turf, somebody with some pull in the land of Mustangs get this done!). After he was done at West Liberty, Travis spent a training camp with the Seattle Seahawks and appeared in two NFL preseason games. All he did as a senior in 2006 was post more than 2,600 all-purpose yards as a halfback and wide receiver.

In Week 5, the Mustangs hosted the Trojans and Travis' talents were on full display. But he wasn't the only star on the field that night. Tusky Valley junior quarterback Pat Kane completed nine passes on the night - for 281 yards. Five of the completions went for six, including three long touchdown passes of 61, 71 and 47 yards.

The first of those three got the Trojans on the board when Kane hit Sam Gergley. The PAT was missed and Tusky Valley led 6-0 after a quarter. However, a pair of fumbles allowed Tuslaw to build a lead with a 17-point second quarter. Mustangs QB Shelby Combs accounted for the first Tuslaw points with a 15 yard run after the initial turnover. Then Travis added a 4-yard run for his first score of the night. A field goal made it 17-6 before Kane hit his second long bomb - the 71-yarder to Devon Weekley. A 2-point attempt failed and the teams went to the break with Tuslaw on top 17-12.

Tusky Valley's Stephen Spillman hauled in a 14-yard scoring strike in the third quarter to recapture the lead for the visitors, and this time the 2-point attempt was good. The Trojans' led 20-17 after three. But Spillman's night was just getting started. In fact, the first three quarters were just the prelude for what happened next. Those in attendance who bought seats didn't need them for the final 12 minutes.

Sportswriter Jim Thomas chronicled the insanity in The Times Reporter. "Four touchdowns, six time outs and two field goal attempts in the final six minutes can throw any fan or player or coach into shock."

Spillman hauled in another touchdown pass - Kane's fourth of the night - from 11 yards out, and the Trojans led by ten midway through the fourth quarter. After an exchange of possessions, the Trojans punted it back to Tuslaw with just under three minutes left. Remember that guy? Ryan Travis? Earlier in the night, he had already returned a punt for 61 yards. With a ten point lead and less than three minutes to go, the Trojans kicked it away, and this time the ball was fielded by Pete Kraft. He had one job. Execute a perfect reverse hand off to Travis. The senior raced 65 yards down the sideline and didn't stop running until he crossed the goal line with 2:32 to play. The Mustangs had a pulse. The PAT was good and they trailed by 3.

Mustangs kicker Wade Bistor was then called upon to execute "a perfect (onside) kick that a hustling Kraft dove on at the Trojans 40 that sent the Mustangs faithful into a frenzy." Four plays later, the 6-3 Travis outjumped Trojans' defender Brandon Beitzel on a fade pass, and suddenly Tuslaw was moments away from snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat. The Mustangs improbably led 31-27 with less than two minutes left.

But there was time. "And four plays later, Beitzel got payback and Tusky had the lead." Kane hit Beitzel on his third bomb of the night - this time from 47 yards, and momentum swung again. Tusky Valley was up three, 34-31 with 1:11 to go.

With both teams marching up and down the field, 71 seconds was enough time for Travis to score again. And he nearly did. Except this time he didn't. A leaping grab in the end zone was called out of bounds. So Tuslaw sent Bistor out to attempt a game tying field goal to force overtime.

The 2006 PAC Game of the Year, which featured 785 yards of combined total offense and numerous huge special teams plays, came down to a kick. Bistor put a boot into it. The Trojans pushed and jumped to try to stop it. Stephen Spillman - the Trojan who was just getting started back in the third quarter - got a piece of it. The field goal was blocked. The chaos finally ended and the defending conference champs had an improbable, unbelievable 34-31 victory.

"I told them I didn't think there was a loser," said Tusky Valley head coach Dale Martini.

"It's the most amazing victory, but I couldn't explain it right now," said Spillman.

Eighteen years later, we might finally have a one-word explanation. PACtion™.

The Postscript

Tuslaw rebounded with a big win against CVCA the following week, edged Manchester in Week 8 and ran the regular season table, matching the regular season 9-1 marks of the 1998-2000 Mustangs teams. But this time, thanks to a Manchester win over Tusky Valley in Week 7, the Mustangs finally won a share of a PAC conference championship. The Mustangs earned the 5-seed in Division 4 Region 13, and had to make the long trip to Perry, where they lost in the Regional Quarterfinal 24-6 to the Pirates from Lake County.

Tusky Valley finished the regular season 6-4. They dropped the conference game to Manchester and then lost again, 14-12, at Harrison Central in Cadiz in Week 8. Still, the 5-1 conference mark gave them a share of the conference championship for the second year in a row, and the wins against Tuslaw and CVCA helped give them enough computer points to earn the 6-seed in Region 13. They drew a Trinity team that stumbled into the playoffs after losing their final three games and won the battle of the Trojans 24-16. The season ended a week later in a 49-13 loss to 2-seed Orrville at Klinefelter Stadium in Perry Township.

Here is the game story from The Times Reporter and the box score from The Akron Beacon Journal, both from September 23, 2006:

View attachment 57557
View attachment 57558
View attachment 57556
Two things Mr. Cuse.....first you write these games as if you were there...applaud the fine work! Two I am going to bitch and moan....I found you guys because of Phil here today gone to Mauro and you of all people have not let me forget what he did to my Blue Streaks starting in 1999..lol...well you did it again...when you were watching the score of Tuslaw vs TV September 22, 2006....I was at would be Phil's last game against us...he saved the best for last....Lake was having its way the first 3 quarters and was leading 14 to 0. Jackson had Carlin Isle and he was a junior....he started getting loose from us in the 4th quarter and our offense was now struggling.....it was 14 to 14 with approx 20 seconds left...we punted to play for OT and put the ball on Jackson's 4 yard line with 6 seconds left....we called time out and Coach Viscounte told our D that they were going to give the ball to Carlin and he was going to run outside....we didn't know which side...he told our Db's not to dive in at the snap. Jackson snapped the ball and Carlin went to their left side....he was running parallel to the line when both me and Coach Lippe went NO and said a few choice words....our Db's on that side both dived in and Carlin went 96 yards to beat us 20 to 14 with no time left.

I do like your series and how you let me live games that I followed....now that Phil is done...I wonder how you are going to continue make me re-live games that I want to forgot....lol

Is Bellstores now the whore of #PACtion??? I feel like such a piece of meat.......
I would suggest then you stay away from all mirrors and reflecting devices....you will discover you did not qualify for the federal grading system for all beef products....this is unacceptable in Tuscarawas and Lawrence Townships.....lol

Looks great! Question though, what is the deal with the varsity baseball field? Viewing is terrible, can't say for sure about the playing surface itself overall, but seems like there was a bit of a swing and a miss the with location and how it was designed......
The baseball field is a casualty in the new building efforts. First, the field last used in the 2022 season (directly behind the current high school) has become the site for the new high school building, so that meant a new long term solution was needed. The plan was for a new baseball field to be constructed at the site of the current Nolley Elementary School (behind the new bleachers being constructed, next to the softball field). The elementary school will be torn down (still in use through this summer), so the plan was to modify the field behind the middle school (that has been used by the Manchester A's travel team) to high school ball dimensions and to use it for a few years. That "few years" will get stretched out, as inflation has taken it's toll and they're running out of money for the entire project. The new baseball field is one of the last things on the long list of needs.

Can you clarify which field you are referring to? There is also a really old field next to the old football stadium, I believe they've had to use it at times also, it dates wayyy back and was used prior to the field behind the current high school.

BellStores is generous with their school donations and selection of quick, affordable food options. There is no one better.

You have to be a community of a high caliber to land a BellStores location. Rumor has it that INTEL selected Johnstown for its computer chip factory not because of Les Wexner's insider property deal or tax incentives or availability of thousands of Ohio State students nearby but because Johnstown has a BellStores on US 62 near State Route 37.

INTEL wants to choose from these amazing lunch options:
Talk about a #PACtion2024™ connection! Johnstown is the opponent that Orrville beat for their title back in 2018.

More personally, Johnstown is also home to Troyer's Marketplace. Around here we have "bulk food stores", this Troyer's (not to be confused with the 8,317 other places with that name within a stone's throw of #PACtion2024™ territory) is a NEXT LEVEL bulk food store. All the typical offerings, but also includes a sit down cafe. Any place you can have a warm deli sammich, cup of soup, and a few creme sticks/cinnamon rolls is one I keep on my short list. Learning now that there's a Bellstore right down the road might just have to make another trip!

1713541811398.png

The baseball field is a casualty in the new building efforts. First, the field last used in the 2022 season (directly behind the current high school) has become the site for the new high school building, so that meant a new long term solution was needed. The plan was for a new baseball field to be constructed at the site of the current Nolley Elementary School (behind the new bleachers being constructed, next to the softball field). The elementary school will be torn down (still in use through this summer), so the plan was to modify the field behind the middle school (that has been used by the Manchester A's travel team) to high school ball dimensions and to use it for a few years. That "few years" will get stretched out, as inflation has taken it's toll and they're running out of money for the entire project. The new baseball field is one of the last things on the long list of needs.

Can you clarify which field you are referring to? There is also a really old field next to the old football stadium, I believe they've had to use it at times also, it dates wayyy back and was used prior to the field behind the current high school.
For some reason I get confused where I'm at when I'm up in that neck of the woods, but I believe it is the field at the middle school. Go all the way back the gravel lane, there is a small football field on the left as well, I think used for their youth teams, and small concession stand/press box up on a little hill I guess you'd call it in between the ball field and the football field. Hope that clarifies; I am more of a landmark guy when it comes to giving/receiving directions LOL

For some reason I get confused where I'm at when I'm up in that neck of the woods, but I believe it is the field at the middle school. Go all the way back the gravel lane, there is a small football field on the left as well, I think used for their youth teams, and small concession stand/press box up on a little hill I guess you'd call it in between the ball field and the football field. Hope that clarifies; I am more of a landmark guy when it comes to giving/receiving directions LOL
The field you are describing is the old Manchester A's field, behind the middle school. That small football field before the baseball field is the middle school's football field, it's rough. It will be home for Panther baseball until (and money has to become available) a new baseball field can be built at the high school campus. It is not the preferred choice, but was planned for a few years of use, we'll see if something new can be built. Maybe the deep pockets of Bell Stores can step in.

The field you are describing is the old Manchester A's field, behind the middle school. That small football field before the baseball field is the middle school's football field, it's rough. It will be home for Panther baseball until (and money has to become available) a new baseball field can be built at the high school campus. It is not the preferred choice, but was planned for a few years of use, we'll see if something new can be built. Maybe the deep pockets of Bell Stores can step in.
All makes sense, lot of projects being changed, halted or delayed with the state of things, but the profits of Bellstores sure do seem to be just fine, so hoping for the best for you guys!

PAC Game of the Year - 2006 | Tusky Valley (2-2, 1-0 PAC) at Tuslaw (4-0, 1-0 PAC) | Week 5 | September 22, 2006
This is the seventh in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.

If you've been following along for the first seven weeks, this PAC Game of the Year series has been a bit of a Manchester Panthers Greatest Games feature. The Panthers dominated the first 16 years of PAC play in a way that we will never see again. But Tusky Valley finally used its slingshot and felled the giant in the 2005 meeting to become only the second team in 17 years to wrestle the conference championship away from the Panthers.

As the 2006 campaign dawned and ultimately played out, perhaps for the first time in conference history, there was a bit of parity amongst the top teams. We'll get the particulars out of the way early. Tuslaw and Tusky Valley tied for the conference championship in 2006. Both finished with 5-1 league marks, but Tuslaw only lost once all season, en route to a 9-1 campaign. Tusky Valley, on the other hand, struggled outside of the conference and finished the regular season 6-4.

Still, Manchester had a chance to create a three-way tie for the conference championship heading into Week 10 at home against CVCA. That game had been postponed on the final Friday night of the season due to poor field conditions and moved from James R. France Stadium to Twinsburg. The Royals throttled the Panthers 20-0, to thwart the Panthers conference title aspirations and knock the Panthers out of the playoffs for the first time in 16 years; the win allowed the Royals to punch their own playoff ticket. Both teams finished 4-2 in the conference, tied for third. The final PAC tilt of the season would have been a good choice at the PAC Game of the Year, as the Royals finished the regular season 8-2 and the Panthers fell to 7-3.

Two weeks earlier, Tuslaw and Manchester matched up in pivotal game won by the Mustangs at France Stadium 23-19 - another worthy Game of the Year candidate, and you can watch 33 minutes of game highlights from that contest here:

But let there be no question that The Game of the Year for 2006 in the PAC happened on the tall grass of Kurtz Stadium at Tuslaw on Friday night, September 22nd. The Mustangs entered Week 5 undefeated, dismissing Rittman, Dalton, Chippewa and Triway in the season's first four weeks. And they did it averaging nearly 46 points a game. Conversely, Tusky Valley was 2-2 heading into Week 5. The Trojans dropped the first two games of the year at home (22-12 vs. Waynedale and 20-14 in overtime vs. Indian Valley). But they righted the ship to crawl back to .500 with wins at Garaway 28-21 and at home over CVCA 40-14. In retrospect, that win over the Royals was a really good win and should have set the stage for what was to transpire in Week 5.

But despite being defending conference champions, it's unlikely that anyone could have predicted what was about to play out on the Tuslaw turf.

As an aside, in frequent discussions on this site, there may be a recency bias when discussing the greatest PAC players of all-time. Naturally, the discussion turns to Marquael Parks and Ethan Wright and current Las Vegas Raider Tre Tucker. But the 2006 season had two of the greatest to suit up playing on Friday nights in CVCA's John Pettigrew and this kid doing it all for the Mustangs. Who you ask? Long timers don't have to hesitate with an answer. The Tuslaw faithful had the privilege of watching Ryan Travis.
ghows-OH-96c9de40-3ec9-3fbc-e053-0100007fa9d1-a7607532.jpeg

Travis carries the ball in a 2006 playoff game at Perry.

Travis went on to become a Division II All-American and is enshrined in the West Liberty University Hall of Fame. Former Tulsaw head coach Nate Held lobbied to have Travis' #44 retired. (Side note: As soon as Bellstores finishes its payment on the new turf, somebody with some pull in the land of Mustangs get this done!). After he was done at West Liberty, Travis spent a training camp with the Seattle Seahawks and appeared in two NFL preseason games. All he did as a senior in 2006 was post more than 2,600 all-purpose yards as a halfback and wide receiver.

In Week 5, the Mustangs hosted the Trojans and Travis' talents were on full display. But he wasn't the only star on the field that night. Tusky Valley junior quarterback Pat Kane completed nine passes on the night - for 281 yards. Five of the completions went for six, including three long touchdown passes of 61, 71 and 47 yards.

The first of those three got the Trojans on the board when Kane hit Sam Gergley. The PAT was missed and Tusky Valley led 6-0 after a quarter. However, a pair of fumbles allowed Tuslaw to build a lead with a 17-point second quarter. Mustangs QB Shelby Combs accounted for the first Tuslaw points with a 15 yard run after the initial turnover. Then Travis added a 4-yard run for his first score of the night. A field goal made it 17-6 before Kane hit his second long bomb - the 71-yarder to Devon Weekley. A 2-point attempt failed and the teams went to the break with Tuslaw on top 17-12.

Tusky Valley's Stephen Spillman hauled in a 14-yard scoring strike in the third quarter to recapture the lead for the visitors, and this time the 2-point attempt was good. The Trojans' led 20-17 after three. But Spillman's night was just getting started. In fact, the first three quarters were just the prelude for what happened next. Those in attendance who bought seats didn't need them for the final 12 minutes.

Sportswriter Jim Thomas chronicled the insanity in The Times Reporter. "Four touchdowns, six time outs and two field goal attempts in the final six minutes can throw any fan or player or coach into shock."

Spillman hauled in another touchdown pass - Kane's fourth of the night - from 11 yards out, and the Trojans led by ten midway through the fourth quarter. After an exchange of possessions, the Trojans punted it back to Tuslaw with just under three minutes left. Remember that guy? Ryan Travis? Earlier in the night, he had already returned a punt for 61 yards. With a ten point lead and less than three minutes to go, the Trojans kicked it away, and this time the ball was fielded by Pete Kraft. He had one job. Execute a perfect reverse hand off to Travis. The senior raced 65 yards down the sideline and didn't stop running until he crossed the goal line with 2:32 to play. The Mustangs had a pulse. The PAT was good and they trailed by 3.

Mustangs kicker Wade Bistor was then called upon to execute "a perfect (onside) kick that a hustling Kraft dove on at the Trojans 40 that sent the Mustangs faithful into a frenzy." Four plays later, the 6-3 Travis outjumped Trojans' defender Brandon Beitzel on a fade pass, and suddenly Tuslaw was moments away from snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat. The Mustangs improbably led 31-27 with less than two minutes left.

But there was time. "And four plays later, Beitzel got payback and Tusky had the lead." Kane hit Beitzel on his third bomb of the night - this time from 47 yards, and momentum swung again. Tusky Valley was up three, 34-31 with 1:11 to go.

With both teams marching up and down the field, 71 seconds was enough time for Travis to score again. And he nearly did. Except this time he didn't. A leaping grab in the end zone was called out of bounds. So Tuslaw sent Bistor out to attempt a game tying field goal to force overtime.

The 2006 PAC Game of the Year, which featured 785 yards of combined total offense and numerous huge special teams plays, came down to a kick. Bistor put a boot into it. The Trojans pushed and jumped to try to stop it. Stephen Spillman - the Trojan who was just getting started back in the third quarter - got a piece of it. The field goal was blocked. The chaos finally ended and the defending conference champs had an improbable, unbelievable 34-31 victory.

"I told them I didn't think there was a loser," said Tusky Valley head coach Dale Martini.

"It's the most amazing victory, but I couldn't explain it right now," said Spillman.

Eighteen years later, we might finally have a one-word explanation. PACtion™.

The Postscript

Tuslaw rebounded with a big win against CVCA the following week, edged Manchester in Week 8 and ran the regular season table, matching the regular season 9-1 marks of the 1998-2000 Mustangs teams. But this time, thanks to a Manchester win over Tusky Valley in Week 7, the Mustangs finally won a share of a PAC conference championship. The Mustangs earned the 5-seed in Division 4 Region 13, and had to make the long trip to Perry, where they lost in the Regional Quarterfinal 24-6 to the Pirates from Lake County.

Tusky Valley finished the regular season 6-4. They dropped the conference game to Manchester and then lost again, 14-12, at Harrison Central in Cadiz in Week 8. Still, the 5-1 conference mark gave them a share of the conference championship for the second year in a row, and the wins against Tuslaw and CVCA helped give them enough computer points to earn the 6-seed in Region 13. They drew a Trinity team that stumbled into the playoffs after losing their final three games and won the battle of the Trojans 24-16. The season ended a week later in a 49-13 loss to 2-seed Orrville at Klinefelter Stadium in Perry Township.

Here is the game story from The Times Reporter and the box score from The Akron Beacon Journal, both from September 23, 2006:

View attachment 57557
View attachment 57558
View attachment 57556
Dresden in WW2 had a better air defense than Tuslaw in this game. It's like Elvis "Toast" Patterson came out of his New York Giants retirement (the other football team in blue) and suited up for the Mustangs. Or former Browns 1st round draft pick bust Justin Gilbert.

Well if you are going to play Carly Simon when she looked fantastic then you need to run to Hartville this weekend...lol

Pre-Sale tickets to get a photo with or your item autographed by PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING HALL OF FAMER Hacksaw Jim Duggan at the signing at All Star Sports Gallery in the Hartville Marketplace on Saturday April 20th at 11:00AM
I am thinking this is going to draw thousands of people.

Two things Mr. Cuse.....first you write these games as if you were there...applaud the fine work! Two I am going to bitch and moan....I found you guys because of Phil here today gone to Mauro and you of all people have not let me forget what he did to my Blue Streaks starting in 1999..lol...well you did it again...when you were watching the score of Tuslaw vs TV September 22, 2006....I was at would be Phil's last game against us...he saved the best for last....Lake was having its way the first 3 quarters and was leading 14 to 0. Jackson had Carlin Isle and he was a junior....he started getting loose from us in the 4th quarter and our offense was now struggling.....it was 14 to 14 with approx 20 seconds left...we punted to play for OT and put the ball on Jackson's 4 yard line with 6 seconds left....we called time out and Coach Viscounte told our D that they were going to give the ball to Carlin and he was going to run outside....we didn't know which side...he told our Db's not to dive in at the snap. Jackson snapped the ball and Carlin went to their left side....he was running parallel to the line when both me and Coach Lippe went NO and said a few choice words....our Db's on that side both dived in and Carlin went 96 yards to beat us 20 to 14 with no time left.

I do like your series and how you let me live games that I followed....now that Phil is done...I wonder how you are going to continue make me re-live games that I want to forgot....lol
Oh goodness. Looks like it might have been only 69 yards ... but still. The last six seconds? I'm not sure I would have made it home after that collapse. (Sorry!)

And naturally, your remembrance takes #PACtion™ down another rabbit hole. Turns out young Carlin turned out to be pretty good. Like Olympian good. Like best American born rugby player in history good. (He also had a cup of coffee with the Lions.)
Here's the brief mention from the ABJ on that fateful Saturday morning.

1713548516762.png

1713548548268.png

1713548406353.png

Dresden in WW2 had a better air defense than Tuslaw in this game. It's like Elvis "Toast" Patterson came out of his New York Giants retirement (the other football team in blue) and suited up for the Mustangs. Or former Browns 1st round draft pick bust Justin Gilbert.

ICCLMUL4GNHVZMIHLJ5IMQWGQE.jpg

Many moons ago, in high school, I did a history report on Dresden. Talk about awful.

Many moons ago, in high school, I did a history report on Dresden. Talk about awful.
If the sun wasn't shining right now I'd put on my "get off my lawn" jacket and holler about how we used to make kids 'tuff' by teaching them about the ugly side of the world so they'd appreciate their little corner of it. Not sure we do enough of that anymore...

Oh goodness. Looks like it might have been only 69 yards ... but still. The last six seconds? I'm not sure I would have made it home after that collapse. (Sorry!)

And naturally, your remembrance takes #PACtion™ down another rabbit hole. Turns out young Carlin turned out to be pretty good. Like Olympian good. Like best American born rugby player in history good. (He also had a cup of coffee with the Lions.)

View attachment 57612

View attachment 57613

View attachment 57611
69 yard run on the last play of the game? Who runs on the last play of the game when you're 69 yards from the endzone? Was it some sort of trick play?

I'm trying to think when that old field by the old stadium was last used. That's where I played back in the late 70s. That has also been the football practice fields for decades.

View attachment 57612

View attachment 57613

View attachment 57611
I am getting old...well older...lol....and I have seen to many games....I had to pull the scorebook out from 2006....in the time since then I have made that run longer...lol...actually when he turned the corner he could have been gone from 110 yards...lol...I see Carlin about 3 or 4 times a year...if you get to meet him he is a great person to know...he is a human athletic machine with the shape he is in.

I would love to know some of your stories of Cleveland TV people. At least those that you're comfortable saying here, LOL. The good, the bad, etc.

Regarding Triway, I have family who works for Triway and I am 100% certain she will not be named basketball coach, so there's my breaking news on the Ben Holt sitch.
I will share what I can one of these days. Anyone in particular you're curious about?

69 yard run on the last play of the game? Who runs on the last play of the game when you're 69 yards from the endzone? Was it some sort of trick play?
No it wasn't a trick play...they ran sweep left...they didn't run the clock out and wait for OT...they had Carlin...fast athletic kid...went on to star for the American Rugby team...so they toss sweeped and he made the play....lol

Yes the allied forces carpet bombed and used incendiary bombs on the city starting in Feb of 1945...there really wasn't much of a reason to bomb based on what I read because it wasn't a manufacturing city....but Hitler and his group of people in charge would not surrender. The information they have on WWII on AHC programs is quite amazing

I will share what I can one of these days. Anyone in particular you're curious about?
Did you work with Mark Williamson and Bill Lilly....I went to college with those guys...actually got to know Bill before college he would take the game results on Friday nights at the Beacon

This is amazing, when a public school has an issue with the football talent in the halls it is a natural occurrence that happens occasionally in a community, when CVCA has a lack of football talent it's because they weren't embracing their advantage. When CVCA turns the corner and has talent and is competitive it's because they finally embraced their advantage again? CVCA has probably had about the same amount of football players play post high school as just about every school in the PAC. Only 2 have been D1. One was Tre Tucker and they other played D1 at Pitt because his uncle is a long time coach there. That player may have gotten on the field as a special teamer on senior day.

CVCA is competitive when they have good players in the building who are getting good coaching. When they struggle it's because they don't have very good players. I was involved with the program for many years. Some when we were very good and also during the worst teams in school history. The kids on the bad teams just weren't good football players, they weren't the hardest workers either. I know because I coached them. Once that 2016 class graduated The classes after all put in tremendous work to turn the program around along with the Larlham staff. The current staff has maintained the attitude of the former staff and they continue to be competitive.

In closing if you knew the names of some of kids who have been extremely good players at other schools both public and private in Summit county who didn't get past the admissions office at CVCA your mind would be blown. In some of those kids had gotten in I would be on board with what you are saying. The fact that they didn't get accepted shows me that yes CVCA has an advantage but they don't use it like you imply.
First off, please name the "extremely" good players at other schools that didn't meet CVCA's admission standards. Lol, sounds so CVCA. One of my sons, left CVCA after eighth grade, and went to Hoban due to the lack of football culture at CVCA. Started all four years, won three state titles, and graduated in 2018. He worked hard enough to be one of the best to ever play on Dowed Field. Absolutely loved the Hoban experience. Played D1 college, and now coaches on a Power 5 roster. CVCA didn't then, and still doesn't, have the resources to coach and develop that level of football talent. Stick to CVCA football, aka soccer. That's one student athlete post the 2016 class you mentioned. By the way, that 2016 was no more talented than any other class after. What are you talking about? Instead of taking shots at student athletes, you should take accountability. You and the rest of that coaching staff were directly responsible for their growth and production. The types of losses reflected the coaching staff. I will exclude Coach's Larlham and Duke. They actually knew what the hell they were doing. Yes, I was there, and know quite a bit about what was going on at CVCA then. Some terrible so-called leaders that completely yielded to the awful politics that fill that school. That leads me to my other son, who decided to stay at CVCA. Also, part of that no so good class of 2018 you referred to. That "weren't hard workers". He also, spent his entire youth playing the highest levels of football, along with two other sports. Also could have played at Hoban, and had great success, but decided to stay at CVCA for reasons outside of football. Needless to say, his sports career was ended early not by a physical injury, but mental. Between the political culture, and poor, or poorly trained coaches, his confidence was taken away. Been a very tough road since. Not blaming CVCA entirely, but a schools culture, especially one professing Christ, which includes teachers and coaches, should be helping students. Instead, the total opposite happened. So, Paction, take a look in the mirror before trashing student-athletes. You are part of the problem! CVCA will never win anything in football because the school doesn't truly invest into it in any way. The track and turf were put in for track, and most certainly soccer. Stop defending it and sure as hell don't blame the students.

First off, please name the "extremely" good players at other schools that didn't meet CVCA's admission standards. Lol, sounds so CVCA. One of my sons, left CVCA after eighth grade, and went to Hoban due to the lack of football culture at CVCA. Started all four years, won three state titles, and graduated in 2018. He worked hard enough to be one of the best to ever play on Dowed Field. Absolutely loved the Hoban experience. Played D1 college, and now coaches on a Power 5 roster. CVCA didn't then, and still doesn't, have the resources to coach and develop that level of football talent. Stick to CVCA football, aka soccer. That's one student athlete post the 2016 class you mentioned. By the way, that 2016 was no more talented than any other class after. What are you talking about? Instead of taking shots at student athletes, you should take accountability. You and the rest of that coaching staff were directly responsible for their growth and production. The types of losses reflected the coaching staff. I will exclude Coach's Larlham and Duke. They actually knew what the hell they were doing. Yes, I was there, and know quite a bit about what was going on at CVCA then. Some terrible so-called leaders that completely yielded to the awful politics that fill that school. That leads me to my other son, who decided to stay at CVCA. Also, part of that no so good class of 2018 you referred to. That "weren't hard workers". He also, spent his entire youth playing the highest levels of football, along with two other sports. Also could have played at Hoban, and had great success, but decided to stay at CVCA for reasons outside of football. Needless to say, his sports career was ended early not by a physical injury, but mental. Between the political culture, and poor, or poorly trained coaches, his confidence was taken away. Been a very tough road since. Not blaming CVCA entirely, but a schools culture, especially one professing Christ, which includes teachers and coaches, should be helping students. Instead, the total opposite happened. So, Paction, take a look in the mirror before trashing student-athletes. You are part of the problem! CVCA will never win anything in football because the school doesn't truly invest into it in any way. The track and turf were put in for track, and most certainly soccer. Stop defending it and sure as hell don't blame the students.
I can't even begin to point out all of the outright misinformation in this post. After looking at the senior class from Hoban that was the 2018 class there is not a single player on that roster that ever played middle school football at CVCA. I can assure you he would have been mentioned in numerous threads in previous PAC related threads and other regular posters in PAC threads would immediately know who this player was that they probably thought was going to terrorize them in highschool. He would have been playing with Tre Tucker in middle school and NO ONE in that 2018 class played middle school football with Tre. NO ONE!!!

Congratulations sir, on your son's fine career at Cincinnati. I'm sure he will do very well as a graduate assistant at Wisconsin.

Also, tell me your son wasn't denied admission without telling me your son was denied admission 😂😂. As @cuyahogacuse said, we wish him the best at Wisconsin.