Yadi Molina leaves team for a basketball game

14Red

Something occurred recently in baseball and I just want to get a little feedback from everyone to see if I'm nuts or not. (likely I am, but just wanted to check) And I'm shocked this didn't get more run. So St. Louis Cardinal catcher Yadier Molina owns a professional basketball team in his native Puerto Rico. He left the Cardinals on the weekend roadtrip and missed two games to be with his team in Puerto Rico in their championship game.
Now the Cardinals have a different culture and I'm sure Molina has all the juice he needs in the locker room, but does that hit anyone as completely wrong?

And I'm sure some will call me "get off my lawn" guys and "old man waiving his fist at the sky" but what is going on in professional sports these days? Molina makes $10 mill this season with the Cardinals, a sure fire first ballot hall of famer and unquestioned leader of that organization. But really? The Cardinals, unlike my Reds are in a divisional chase and every game is important this time of year. I think there is a clear line of demarcation from what his job is with the Cardinals, where he's made over $150 million dollars which allows him to own pro sports teams in his personal life. I just thought this was clearly wrong and I'm not shocked that more wasn't made of it.
Thoughts???

I have to say, I agree with you. Stunning right?

Seems crazy to me to leave your team for that. But I'm guessing he asked the Cards and they said OK. The Paternity Leave thing is relatively new also, and I guess this is kind of similar...

I have to say, I agree with you. Stunning right?

Seems crazy to me to leave your team for that. But I'm guessing he asked the Cards and they said OK. The Paternity Leave thing is relatively new also, and I guess this is kind of similar...
I think eventually you'll come around to my way to of thinking...or not. 🤣
Two things about this that I feel are at work. The Cardinals are such a good organization - and I have a really hard time saying that - but I think they - as a team probably talked about this and there is SO much respect for Molina that no one is going to go up against him.
Yes, the paternity leave is there now and for some reason I feel that was part of the CBA's, and that's a family issue. Molina own's a basketball team that has nothing to do with the Cardinals. I guess the other thing that surprises me about it that a guy like Molina, who seems to be one of those "all in" guys would do this. I mean if a teammate wants to take a few personal days off for whatever, he really can't say much now, and maybe he wouldn't do that.

You're not nuts; it's the world we live in nowadays. :(
Thanks for the confirmation, and the other thing that surprises me about this is that it's virtually gone unnoticed? I mean the St. Louis media have pretty much left it alone. Can you imagine this in NYC or Philly?

Every major news company had articles on it. It didn’t get big because Molina‘s basically a backup now and the talking heads have moved to football.