Woodworking

I still have a fixed miter as well (Delta). It is difficult moving on from tools we have used for 25 years or more. I would tell you your old Craftsman will be so much happier with a buddy. Saws have a pack mentality.
I do not know if my wife will buy that. She is the one that demanded I get a Saw Stop table saw though. That is why I brought up the brake failing, if I can use safety she is quick to give the OK.

Tried to compliment a woodworker the other day and I don't think he took it well. All I said was, I really like your work, it reminds me of when I was starting out.

Some pics from the fence project. Turned out well, son in law rented a Bobcat and that helped a lot.

View attachment 43833pic

View attachment 43834
Looks good, the only thing I noticed is that you may be touching the dirt in some places? This will discolor and rot those boards and will not allow for expansion of freezing ground. You may want to rake out and have a little gravel directly below wood with a 1" clearance.

Stain? Polyurethane? Oil? Wax? Lacquer? Varnish?

We're building a bench in the mudroom with a pine table top right as you get in from the garage. Wife assumed we would paint it and is worried we'd mess up any other finish. I want to see the natural wood grain patterns. Leaning towards an oil-based poly. What would you recommend?

20240201_102059.jpg
20240122_172045.jpg
20231121_100242.jpg

Okay fellow woodworkers, what do you think of these bats?

Stain? Polyurethane? Oil? Wax? Lacquer? Varnish?

We're building a bench in the mudroom with a pine table top right as you get in from the garage. Wife assumed we would paint it and is worried we'd mess up any other finish. I want to see the natural wood grain patterns. Leaning towards an oil-based poly. What would you recommend?
Pine is ok but if I was making it I would go with poplar. I would use a oil base stain and a poly now I have used water base for floors and it really does good or a oil base would would be fine. You have to stain poplar because in places it has a green shades and the stain covers that while still letting the grain show. One finish I really like is called Arm R Seal and it is oil base.

Did you turn them? Finish is nice. The sad thing is only pro ball uses wood bats They sure would look nice hanging on a wall. Are they maple or ash?
Thank you! Yes, I turned and finished these bats by hand. Anyone in Cleveland or Akron can check out some of my bats at the Play It Again Sports in North Olmsted or Cuyahoga Falls. Can also visit my site at orionbats.com

Started making bats when my son was a two-way player and it went from there. Ironically, he became a P.O. in college and got drafted by the Orioles last summer.

Did you turn them? Finish is nice. The sad thing is only pro ball uses wood bats They sure would look nice hanging on a wall. Are they maple or ash?
Also, most college summer leagues are wood bat as well as quite a few of the summer youth tournaments. Players also like to train with wood in the off season.

These particular bats are maple, but I make birch and ash also. Birch has been popular lately.

If you watch the video below, you will see a college player hitting a walk off dinger with one of my bats. He played for Utica in the Perfect Game Summer Collegiate League.