Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Pittsburgh Pirates

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • St. Louis Cardinals

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Omega

It is time to make a way too early look at how the 2024 NL Central pennant race will shake out. There are trades and signings yet to be made along with spring training surprises, but take a stab at picking a winner with the information at hand. Feel free to comment on your choice and the rationale behind it.

My pick is St Louis and their improved starting pitching.

It is hard to argue with STL when they can roll out a lineup with Goldschmidt, Arenado, Contreras, Edman, Gorman, Walker, etc. But that rotation of Lynn, Mikolas, Matz is not scaring anyone. Once you get past Sonny Gray, they are beatable.

Brewers added Rhys Hoskins to their core of Yelich, Adames and other Contreras. Rotation solid at the top with Burnes and Peralta, but lost Woodruff. Lockdown bullpen with Payamps and Williams. Rotation spots 3,4,5 are dubious. OF beyond Yelich is dubious.

Cubs lost Stroman but rotation still solid with Hendricks, Steele, Taillon. Imanaga is a ??. Their lineup is basically the same as last year. Hoerner, Swanson and Happ are a decent core, but overall not a great lineup. Bullpen looks weak. If Bellinger re-signs it changes my outlook on their lineup.

Pirates are Pittsburgh. O'Neill Cruz and Reynolds should be good. A couple young guys in the rotation (Oviedo, Falter, Brubacker) might help Keller. Certainly Bednar and Chapman on the back end are solid. But meh overall.

My Reds are the variable here. Solid FA additions with Montas, Martinez, Candelario, Suter and Pagan. Best young talent in the MLB. Will McLain, EDLC, Marte, CES and Steer continue to improve? Will the rotation of Greene, Lodolo, Abbott and Ashcraft stay healthy and make strides? More questions than answers. Could win 90+ games if the most of the young guys advance. Could win 70 games if they do not.

There is no clear favorite IMO. If forced to pick, I would hold my nose and pick the Brewers. But I could see a path for anyone other than the Pirates to win it.

I'll be the proverbial homer and take the Reds. I just feel this team's youth will continue to excel and the sky is the limit for so many of these guys. David Bell has alot of roster flexibility so that an injury or two shouldn't be devastating. The key will be the starting staff and namely Hunter Greene. He was the #1 overall pick out of high school in 2018 and he's expected to be great. It's time. He's fully grown and developed, time to take the training wheels off (even in today's pampered player era) and let the dude work. I expect 25+ starts from Greene, 175 innings. I think Ashcraft, Montas, Abbott will be solid starters and if we get anything out of Lodolo, it will be a bonus. We get that kind of starting pitching and I think this team can win the central. As you can tell, I'm drinking the kool-aid.

I'll be the proverbial homer and take the Reds. I just feel this team's youth will continue to excel and the sky is the limit for so many of these guys. David Bell has alot of roster flexibility so that an injury or two shouldn't be devastating. The key will be the starting staff and namely Hunter Greene. He was the #1 overall pick out of high school in 2018 and he's expected to be great. It's time. He's fully grown and developed, time to take the training wheels off (even in today's pampered player era) and let the dude work. I expect 25+ starts from Greene, 175 innings. I think Ashcraft, Montas, Abbott will be solid starters and if we get anything out of Lodolo, it will be a bonus. We get that kind of starting pitching and I think this team can win the central. As you can tell, I'm drinking the kool-aid.
I certainly hope you are right. As I said, if most things go well, 90+ wins is possible. For a change, I think there is enough depth that a few inevitable injuries will not cripple the team. As a fan of the Reds, Browns and Blue Jackets, I am a little gun shy about being optimistic.

What the heck, pass me the kool-aid.

I certainly hope you are right. As I said, if most things go well, 90+ wins is possible. For a change, I think there is enough depth that a few inevitable injuries will not cripple the team. As a fan of the Reds, Browns and Blue Jackets, I am a little gun shy about being optimistic.

What the heck, pass me the kool-aid.
I'm naturally optimistic, but this team, and the pipeline in the minors should give fans alot of hope. I mean last season, McLain, Elly, Steer, Friedl, Marte all came up and had varying degrees of immediate success. Will Benson was found money from the Guardians and a key contributor. I just the ceiling is very high for this organization. I also feel we have so much depth that if for some Hunter Greene doesn't pan out, we still have enough arms to be contenders.

I'm naturally optimistic, but this team, and the pipeline in the minors should give fans alot of hope. I mean last season, McLain, Elly, Steer, Friedl, Marte all came up and had varying degrees of immediate success. Will Benson was found money from the Guardians and a key contributor. I just the ceiling is very high for this organization. I also feel we have so much depth that if for some Hunter Greene doesn't pan out, we still have enough arms to be contenders.
My thought on the Reds for 2024 is that they will only go as far as their starting pitching takes them. One of Greene, Lodolo, Abbott, or Ashcroft will have to performance live up to potential. Just don't think Moras will be healthy enough to help.

My thought on the Reds for 2024 is that they will only go as far as their starting pitching takes them. One of Greene, Lodolo, Abbott, or Ashcroft will have to performance live up to potential. Just don't think Moras will be healthy enough to help.
Not disagreeing at all, but last year, we got very little from the starting staff, and was in contention for nearly all the season. I just hope that the organization will let the guys pitch. Not shut them down or pull them after 4-5 innings all the time but I'm sure they'll be holding their hands the first couple of months.

Not disagreeing at all, but last year, we got very little from the starting staff, and was in contention for nearly all the season. I just hope that the organization will let the guys pitch. Not shut them down or pull them after 4-5 innings all the time but I'm sure they'll be holding their hands the first couple of months.
That is my biggest concern with this team. Bell. His handling of the pitchers and constant jimmying the lineup are problems. But I can take this to the Reds thread...

Pirates are Pittsburgh. O'Neill Cruz and Reynolds should be good. A couple young guys in the rotation (Oviedo, Falter, Brubacker) might help Keller. Certainly Bednar and Chapman on the back end are solid. But meh overall.

You forgot proven players like KeBryan Hayes and McCutcheon and youngsters Suwinski, Henry Davis, Nick Gonzales, Endy Rodriguez (injured), Liover Peguero and others.

The Reds were only 6 wins better then the Bucs and 5-8 head to head. The Central isn’t that good. I wouldn’t count anyone out.

Last edited:
I just checked the Dayton Daily News for Oct 1 2024 articles and they have one about the Reds finishing with 93 wins.

93-69 should get it done unless the Brewers get a game or two more than that.

I need to change my vote! Burnes was traded to the Orioles. Incredible. Milwaukee just handed the rest of the Central a big gift.

Even if Milwaukee’s offense is improved, it’s tough to see them going anywhere without Burnes and Woodruff.

I think the Reds have more answers than anyone else in the division right now because of their newly found depth.

The Reds will benefit greatly from having the youngsters play so much last year. This is an exciting team that maybe even Bell can’t screw up

The Reds will benefit greatly from having the youngsters play so much last year. This is an exciting team that maybe even Bell can’t screw up
Seen it before, about 4 hours northeast. Young Guardians team wins weak division and makes the playoffs. The numbers don’t really compute for a 90+ win season, but they did it anyway. So high hopes for the next season as all the young players will naturally improve. Ooops. Didn’t happen, and the Reds individual numbers last year aren’t all that great. To get as many wins as they did was an anomaly. I would like to see the Reds win the NL Central this year, but a 78-84 feels more likely.

Seen it before, about 4 hours northeast. Young Guardians team wins weak division and makes the playoffs. The numbers don’t really compute for a 90+ win season, but they did it anyway. So high hopes for the next season as all the young players will naturally improve. Ooops. Didn’t happen, and the Reds individual numbers last year aren’t all that great. To get as many wins as they did was an anomaly. I would like to see the Reds win the NL Central this year, but a 78-84 feels more likely.
So the Reds somehow take a step backwards despite adding 5 decent free agents and having the young core back intact?

Sorry, this is very different than the Guards. They won with Ramirez, very good pitching, and a bunch of nobodies. None of the analysts ever talked about Giminez, Kwan, Naylor the way they rave about McLain, Steer, De La Cruz, Encarnacion-Strand and Marte. Guards did not add to the roster the following year like the Reds did. very different...

I also think that this year the Cincinnati Reds have a good chance of winning their division. They have a balanced team with strong pitchers and an excellent lineup of hitters.

The 2024 PECOTA projections have been released, and Milwaukee fans likely won’t be too happy with what Baseball Prospectus foresees coming this season.

For the first time since 2020, PECOTA sees Milwaukee finishing under .500 and outside of the top two spots in the NL Central. The Brewers, of course, still made the postseason in the COVID-shortened season of 2020, going 29-31 and locking up the final spot in the NL.

Per this season’s projections, the Cardinals will win the division with a win percentage of .528, which works out to 85 or 86 wins. The Cubs are projected to come in second at 80-82, followed by the Brewers at 79-83, Cincinnati at 78-84, and Pittsburgh at 73-89.

If those results play out, that would make the NL Central the closest division from top to bottom in the league, with just 12 or 13 wins separating first place from last.

The 2024 PECOTA projections have been released, and Milwaukee fans likely won’t be too happy with what Baseball Prospectus foresees coming this season.

For the first time since 2020, PECOTA sees Milwaukee finishing under .500 and outside of the top two spots in the NL Central. The Brewers, of course, still made the postseason in the COVID-shortened season of 2020, going 29-31 and locking up the final spot in the NL.

Per this season’s projections, the Cardinals will win the division with a win percentage of .528, which works out to 85 or 86 wins. The Cubs are projected to come in second at 80-82, followed by the Brewers at 79-83, Cincinnati at 78-84, and Pittsburgh at 73-89.

If those results play out, that would make the NL Central the closest division from top to bottom in the league, with just 12 or 13 wins separating first place from last.
That was my prediction a few posts prior. 78-84. That was just based on looking at the roster.

That was my prediction a few posts prior. 78-84. That was just based on looking at the roster.
Here is the thing about PECOTA. It is heavy duty statistical projections based on empirical historical data. It assumes that players will typically perform very close to their career averages. It is very logical, I say it all the time, whether a player has a fantastic season or a slumping season, you can expect they will revert to the numbers on the back of their baseball card over time.

With the Reds, you have a ton of key performers that have between a half and 1 season on their baseball card. PECOTA has no clue what to expect from McLain, EDLC, CES, Marte, Abbott, Lodolo, Steer, Benson, etc. It is likely that Friedl regresses a little, back to his career average, but last year was by far his most ABs in a season.

PECOTA does not have a crystal ball. It simply does not have enough data on most of the key Reds. PECOTA has no clue how the Reds will do. Nor do any of us. As I posted above, could be 70 wins, could be 90+. We will all find out togther this summer.

Here is the thing about PECOTA. It is heavy duty statistical projections based on empirical historical data. It assumes that players will typically perform very close to their career averages. It is very logical, I say it all the time, whether a player has a fantastic season or a slumping season, you can expect they will revert to the numbers on the back of their baseball card over time.

With the Reds, you have a ton of key performers that have between a half and 1 season on their baseball card. PECOTA has no clue what to expect from McLain, EDLC, CES, Marte, Abbott, Lodolo, Steer, Benson, etc. It is likely that Friedl regresses a little, back to his career average, but last year was by far his most ABs in a season.

PECOTA does not have a crystal ball. It simply does not have enough data on most of the key Reds. PECOTA has no clue how the Reds will do. Nor do any of us. As I posted above, could be 70 wins, could be 90+. We will all find out togther this summer.
Of course. I’m in the camp hoping for 90 wins, but not expecting it this year. Baseball is weird, though. Some years you have a team that isn’t expected to do much and it just clicks for that that year, like magic. One of the mysteries and beauty of baseball.

Of course. I’m in the camp hoping for 90 wins, but not expecting it this year. Baseball is weird, though. Some years you have a team that isn’t expected to do much and it just clicks for that that year, like magic. One of the mysteries and beauty of baseball.
Baseball is indeed weird, especially given the length of the season. Players surprise. Players disappoint. Injuries. Other teams get hot and cold. Then there is karma. The Reds more often than not live up to expectations to fail. It seems ingrained in ownership and management, and the vibe transfers to the players. But with baseball, hope springs eternal. Maybe 2024 is the Reds year.

I also think that this year the Cincinnati Reds have a good chance of winning their division. They have a balanced team with strong pitchers and an excellent lineup of hitters.
Unlike past years, I think this should be the legitimate goal for this team. I know this team is very young in a lot of areas, but I also think there is an abundance of talent. Barring a rash of major injuries and unexpected poor performance, this team should be near the top of the division.
The rotation is deep enough we should be able to withstand some injuries. Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo, Andrew Abbott, Graham Ashcraft, Brandon Williamson, Connor Phillips, Frankie Montas. I've already said that any starts we get from Lodolo will be icing on the cake. The bullpen was surprisingly good last year, and with a few additions, I think that can be repeated.
Offensively, I really feel we can be dynamic. Friedl, Candelario, CES, Elly, Stephenson, Marte, McLain, Benson, Fraley, we've got about 11-12 guys I'm comfortable running out there daily to play.

Unlike past years, I think this should be the legitimate goal for this team. I know this team is very young in a lot of areas, but I also think there is an abundance of talent. Barring a rash of major injuries and unexpected poor performance, this team should be near the top of the division.
The rotation is deep enough we should be able to withstand some injuries. Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo, Andrew Abbott, Graham Ashcraft, Brandon Williamson, Connor Phillips, Frankie Montas. I've already said that any starts we get from Lodolo will be icing on the cake. The bullpen was surprisingly good last year, and with a few additions, I think that can be repeated.
Offensively, I really feel we can be dynamic. Friedl, Candelario, CES, Elly, Stephenson, Marte, McLain, Benson, Fraley, we've got about 11-12 guys I'm comfortable running out there daily to play.
I agree it should be the goal, and this team is capable.

Vegas has the Cards and Cubs both just a hair above the Reds in terms of odds to win the division. They usually make pretty smart odds. So it won't be easy for any of the teams to win the Central. It won't take "a rash of major injuries" to derail the Reds, it could be just a few of the key guys going down and it is "wait till next year". Hoping for great health this year.

Also, the guy who led the team in HR and RBI in 2023 would like to know why you left him off your list.

So the Reds somehow take a step backwards despite adding 5 decent free agents and having the young core back intact?

Sorry, this is very different than the Guards. They won with Ramirez, very good pitching, and a bunch of nobodies. None of the analysts ever talked about Giminez, Kwan, Naylor the way they rave about McLain, Steer, De La Cruz, Encarnacion-Strand and Marte. Guards did not add to the roster the following year like the Reds did. very different...

It's only a quarter way through the season, but...

True, but there is a long way to go. Here is why I think the Reds are still in this...
  • Starting pitching - the Reds have got + starting pitching so far, this teams main issue is offense and that's something that goes up and down all year.
  • We've got a few players, Elly, Steer, Candelario who can carry a team for a week or two.
  • India, Stephenson, Benson, Marte when he returns, hopefully Friedl when he returns. all can play better than they have. This team does have a 8-10 game win streak in them.
  • Bullpen, other than a few hiccups, has been pretty solid.
  • The close games will even themselves out.

True - certainly looking like Brewers and Cubs at this point.

Not sure why you quoted me from February? That was well before any of us knew the Reds would be without McLain, Friedl and Marte. I guess if it makes you feel better about yourself, that's fine.

True - certainly looking like Brewers and Cubs at this point.

Not sure why you quoted me from February? That was well before any of us knew the Reds would be without McLain, Friedl and Marte. I guess if it makes you feel better about yourself, that's fine.
I only quoted you because you were the only one who responded to my prediction, I believe. I just threw it in with the others. It’s only a quarter of the season. I will say the three Guardians you mentioned, Gimenez, Kwan and Josh Naylor have already made impacts in MLB. It’s not like they are lesser than the Reds players you mentioned.