Who was on your first baseball card?

tom 48

For us old guys: What player was on the first baseball card you ever had? One of the great memories of childhood was buying the packs of bubble gum with baseball cards inside. First of all, throw away the gum because it was like concrete, then look at your treasures. It was with great anticipation that I bought my first pack of cards, hoping I'd get a Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays or someone really famous. I opened the pack and eagerly looked at my very first card; it was Curt Raydon of the Pirates. No Drysdale, no Colavito ...Curt Raydon. I followed him for a couple months, praying that he would develop into the player I could proudly say was my first card. But......................... Do you remember yours?

Joe Shlabotnik. Some round-headed kid in our neighborhood was always trying to trade for him, but I wouldn't do it.

1711830950860.jpeg

Got it out of a box of cereal when I was a little kid. Found this image online, but I still have the card in a box with many others.

In a semi-related subject, I still remember the first Major League Baseball game I ever attended like it was yesterday. It was just like so many other’s descriptions of their first game…the colors of the stadium, sky, uniforms and grass just popped so vividly compared to television. The smell of hot dogs, peanuts and freshly cut grass. It was in Cleveland, but the thrill of seeing stars like Jim Rice, Yaz, Carlton Fisk and Fred Lynn being almost close enough to touch was unreal. Good memories.

My first baseball card was a long time ago and I don't remember who it was, even though me and my friends were avid baseball card collectors. I do remember my best (or worst) trade: I traded my '69 Topps Johnny Bench for a '69 Topps Mickey Mantle. As a diehard Reds fan, it killed me to trade Bench, but it was a chance to get a Mickey Mantle and was a fairly even trade, IMO.

Alas, I have no cards anymore. I'm not even sure what happened to them.

For us old guys: What player was on the first baseball card you ever had? One of the great memories of childhood was buying the packs of bubble gum with baseball cards inside. First of all, throw away the gum because it was like concrete, then look at your treasures. It was with great anticipation that I bought my first pack of cards, hoping I'd get a Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays or someone really famous. I opened the pack and eagerly looked at my very first card; it was Curt Raydon of the Pirates. No Drysdale, no Colavito ...Curt Raydon. I followed him for a couple months, praying that he would develop into the player I could proudly say was my first card. But......................... Do you remember yours?

You skipped a step! Depending on how long ago, you would have had to first blow and wipe off the fine powder micro granulated sugar from the top card. ;)

Wally Moon- Dodgers

Did you guys use to flip cards? One kid would flip his cards (any number of cards usually 1-3) and the next kid had to match , front or back of card, if you matched you got to keep the cards. Usually you’d flip cards you had doubles of and hope you win cards of a player you didn’t have. We would spend a whole recess flipping sometimes.

Can't remember what my first baseball card was, but getting the dreaded Buddy Pritchard card always made one an object of ridicule.
seasonTeam
PIT
PIT
Career
Season Averages

GPABRH2B3BHRRBIBBHBPSOSBCSAVGOBPSLGOPSWAR
231111000000400.091.091.091.182-0.4
231111000000400.091.091.091.182--
231111000000400.091.091.091.182-

We mostly tried to get Reds' cards such as Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson, Ted Kluzewski, Johnny Temple, Gus Bell, George Crowe, and others of that era.

We mostly tried to get Reds' cards such as Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson, Ted Kluzewski, Johnny Temple, Gus Bell, George Crowe, and others of that era.
I tried to get Reds players, too, but I started seriously collecting cards a bit later than you. I think I had a few cards from 1967, my first year, and I had a ton from 1968-1975. My brother, seven years younger than me, picked up the hobby from about 1973-81, so between us we had some really good cards.

Reactions: SLS
I tried to get Reds players, too, but I started seriously collecting cards a bit later than you. I think I had a few cards from 1967, my first year, and I had a ton from 1968-1975. My brother, seven years younger than me, picked up the hobby from about 1973-81, so between us we had some really good cards.
My dad has the Mickey Mantel Cereal box card, but it’s in pretty s**tty condition. Probably worth $1,000+ if it was in good condition

Bought them in packs so no idea who was the first. Must of been 1975 when I started. Used to put them in bike spokes and play for cards by throwing against the wall in trying to win some. Also have a bunch of those 3D cereal cards as well..... think it was Frosted Flakes they came out of. It was great back then when value of a card had no meaning and you just collected for the players you like. I quit collecting when the market got over flooded and adults took the pleasure away from the kids...............

I remember being excited getting a Jimmy Fridley baseball card. He didn't play much, but he had played semi pro ball in West Virginia, and was from my dad's hometown .Dad might have played semi-pro ball with him. Dad told a lot of stories, and some of them didn't jibe with the truth.

1711995220561.png