When is enough

Seen a team won 34-0

When is enough that you start leaving base early?
When the run rule margin is met, and maybe 1-2 more.
You should know if the other team can be competitive so no reason to steal, advance on PB, etc etc etc..when you get to that 10 run margin.

Seen a team won 34-0

When is enough that you start leaving base early?
Softball level of play is way down in our area especially pitching. I would say most JV cannot pitch from 40' let alone 43'. At the varsity level I would say a 1/3 of the teams play more like slow pitch with 3+ hour games.
Run rule changes need to happen something like 12-after 4, 10 after 5, 8 after 6.
Maybe at JV a run per inning limit or pitch per inning limit as this level is where the real lopsided games are. That way at least both teams can have an at bat and get to learn to play.

Now some may say at any time coaches can throw in the towel and can get with the umpires to agree to end the contest but a solid rule would help.
I know of a JV game last year where the visiting team had several players that had to be at a concert so in the first couple innings they ran up the score to try to end it early with like 20 runs in the first two innings. It backfired... Umpires contributed to the issue by changing the strike zone in the 4th and making the game a typical JV walk fest. Add in a couple errors and the game went on for almost 3 hours.

I firmly believe that the number is 15 - at the most. If we didn't start some of our reserves, we start subbing down once we are at 10, stop advancing extra bases at 12 or so, and run off bases early on any number over that. And yes, that includes if a girl walks and we are up by 13 - she is running off the base early just the same as if she got a hit.
There's no reason to score more than that. We are well-respected by other coaches because we aren't out to run up the score and embarrass anyone. One by-product of that is our girls are voted higher for postseason awards than those on teams who run up the score constantly.

So this is always a hot topic in our league bc we have been pretty good the past decade and teams in our league not so good.

30+ runs is a bit much.

But our HC by the 2nd inning is subbing out his starters putting in JV girls. So you take opportunities away from JV kids who have been putting in work just as much as the varsity kids?

No different than in football. we see scores 60-0, 70-6 , ect ect. if you have mostly JV kids in the game and run dive left and dive right and the other team cant tackle them then GET BETTER. no different if a JV kid is getting an opportunity to get varsity innings and puts the ball in play and the other team cant catch it GET BETTER.

I do agree 30+ may be a bit much but whats the box score look like

So this is always a hot topic in our league bc we have been pretty good the past decade and teams in our league not so good.

30+ runs is a bit much.

But our HC by the 2nd inning is subbing out his starters putting in JV girls. So you take opportunities away from JV kids who have been putting in work just as much as the varsity kids?

No different than in football. we see scores 60-0, 70-6 , ect ect. if you have mostly JV kids in the game and run dive left and dive right and the other team cant tackle them then GET BETTER. no different if a JV kid is getting an opportunity to get varsity innings and puts the ball in play and the other team cant catch it GET BETTER.

I do agree 30+ may be a bit much but whats the box score look like
Only diff in football and hoops is the running clock and the game likely gets completed earlier than a normal full game.

SB/BB has the run rule to stop games early, but when it is getting to these heights of 30+ runs I bet those games are running longer than a traditional game.

I coached a game once that we won 26-0. I did everything in my power to keep the score down. After the first inning, we only went one base at time. I had the girls swinging at anything they could get their bat to. I was intentionally leaving early to get extra outs. I subbed everybody after 2 times through the lineup. At some point the leaving early to get all the outs can be just as demoralizing as the getting your brain's beat in. I think we could have easily scored 50 if we wanted. Sometimes there's just not much you can do.

Only diff in football and hoops is the running clock and the game likely gets completed earlier than a normal full game.

SB/BB has the run rule to stop games early, but when it is getting to these heights of 30+ runs I bet those games are running longer than a traditional game.
I agree and you are right those games take forever.

Ill do a "for instances" from a game we had.

we beat a league opponent 23-1 last week.

Our starting SS , C and 1B saw 3 AB's

8 JV kids saw atleast 1 AB or more , 6 of the 8 recorded basehits. 5 of the 8 recorded at least 1 walk

it was 15-0 in the 3rd with no outs and bases loaded when 4 of the 8 were "subbed in" to start the 4th.
Our team scored 8 runs without an out (girls then started walking off the bases) in the 4th.

the only "starter" that was left in the game in the 5th was our starting pitcher.

I coached a game once that we won 26-0. I did everything in my power to keep the score down. After the first inning, we only went one base at time. I had the girls swinging at anything they could get their bat to. I was intentionally leaving early to get extra outs. I subbed everybody after 2 times through the lineup. At some point the leaving early to get all the outs can be just as demoralizing as the getting your brain's beat in. I think we could have easily scored 50 if we wanted. Sometimes there's just not much you can do.
Short of telling them to strike out on purpose (which I could never get behind), you did everything you could.

Short of telling them to strike out on purpose (which I could never get behind), you did everything you could.
We did this once in Pony League, coach asked players to strike out and would not count to end the misery but only because it was 32-1, and the opposing team in that last inning before the run rule walked double digit players and no one was getting anything out of it!

If players are actually getting at bats where they are swinging and hitting....i wouldnt fathom asking/doing that tho

Couple of things...
First of all in games like this, the score needs to be way, WAY down the priority list. I don't like to see the game shortened any shorter than it is because everyone should have at least one at bat. This turns into a viscious cycle as the team that wins big, everyone bats 3-4-5-6 times or more unless substituted, and the team losing, the top couple of batters bat twice , everyone else once. Well if you're a not great program, you may have kids who get a couple at bats a week and that's it.

I agree the scores for many softball games are getting worse. This is a reaction of so many kids doing club volleyball and travel basketball. There are only so many female athletes to begin with, so you're seeing some kids who've never played softball learning to play at the high school level. That's rough. And my guess is if they've not played until high school, they aren't likely to work on the game in the off season or play in other leagues. Just a sign of the times.

Pretty sure Indiana does

15 after 3
12 after 4
8 or 10(I can't remember) after 5

Sometimes, I wish we'd have that in Ohio

When I coached HS Softball we called off the dogs at 15 runs ahead after the second inning unless you could just tell the opponent was never going to get back in it then maybe after the first. One base at a time but let the hitters have their ABs. We would leave 3rd early that way we could still let a batter hit and advance runners then leave early from 3rd again. If all the players on base and hitting were backups we didn't leave early. It doesn't sound like it but it really did keep the score down. We had a team in our league we could have beaten by 50 every time and we kept it under 20 every time instead.

Sub everyone on offense and you can keep your defense out there in case of a no no or perfect game at max 15 runs. Walk off the bases and tell your batter not to swing so parents don't get mad when the hitter hits a double, triple..etc and gets its called back on dead ball leaving base early.
I do think Ohio should adopt 15 after 3 rules. Your starters should get 2-3 at bats and that's enough, anymore is stat padding.

I agree and you are right those games take forever.

Ill do a "for instances" from a game we had.

we beat a league opponent 23-1 last week.

Our starting SS , C and 1B saw 3 AB's

8 JV kids saw atleast 1 AB or more , 6 of the 8 recorded basehits. 5 of the 8 recorded at least 1 walk

it was 15-0 in the 3rd with no outs and bases loaded when 4 of the 8 were "subbed in" to start the 4th.
Our team scored 8 runs without an out (girls then started walking off the bases) in the 4th.

the only "starter" that was left in the game in the 5th was our starting pitcher.
Sadly Stats is why many teams leave the pitcher etc. in during a blow out W...Records are made to be broken and most of these are built on the weak teams.