What do Hoover fans think about splitting Division 1?

ejc1998

Many of you are aware of the OHSAA considering splitting Division 1 (for purposes of football) in half due to the large difference in enrollment from the bottom of D1 to the top. If you are not aware of this, check this out...

http://www.ohsaa.org/news/misc/Divisional Realignment Release 10-08.pdf

Hoover would likely move to the smaller school half of the split Division (Division 1A) along with schools like Green, Massillon, etc., while schools like Iggy, St. Eds, Mentor, or Cincinnati whoever would be in the larger school half of Division 1.

As Hoover fans, do you like or dislike with this idea? Does it make things more fair? Do you think we are good enough to beat the large D1 schools?

While it does make things more fair based off of enrollment, it would cheapen the winning of a state title. Winning the small-school D1 title would not be as impressive or meaningful as winning a D1 title with the alignment as it is. Most years we do field a good enough football team to compete with if not beat some of the powers in the state like Mentor, Ignatius, Elder. This year we have a chance to make another run in the playoffs, and next year as well.

The Div 1 champs for the last 8 or 10 years have all had an enrollment of like 900 or more. I don't think ANY lower div 1 team stands a chance at getting a state title. While we might stand a chance in 1 game like that a year, I don't think we can do it 2 or 3 times in a year like you would have to in order to win a state title.

Some will argue that McKinley has done it with a smaller D1 enrollment. Canton has 2 high schools that the students can choose to attend. The best athletes choose to go to McKinely for good reason. Because of that, they have the effect of being a larger D1 school.

I like the idea of the split, but I don't like the way they are talking about doing it. With the split they are suggesting, the lower cutoff for the large school division is only going to change by about 100-150. So you will still have schools of 600 or so facing schools of 1000+. The new D1A will be more fair, but the lower schools in the upper division will still be in the same boat.

I think they should just make a "super division" of schools with 900 or more where only 2 teams per region go to the playoffs and Division 1 where the usual 8 teams go to the playoffs. With 2 teams in the playoffs, you still make the first game a home game for the higher seed so that you keep the stadium rental costs down. Then you only add the stadium rental for 2 games which would be the state semis since the finals would be the same location as the rest of the finals.

dont water down the playoffs...while its true beating an Iggy, X, etc would be an uphill battle it would make the accomplishment that much sweeter. id rather be the best in the state by beating the best in the state.

I was under the impression that the division would be equally split based on the current Div I enrollments. Wouldn't that make Hoover in the uppper tier based on 116 teams currently in DI and the current graduation around 400? I see the current enrollment by the OHSAA based on 2006 numbers for grades 9-11 is 645. Is that always how the OHSAA determines divisional criteria or do they take into account the senior class as well for the divsional breakdown?

I was under the impression that the division would be equally split based on the current Div I enrollments. Wouldn't that make Hoover in the uppper tier based on 116 teams currently in DI and the current graduation around 400? I see the current enrollment by the OHSAA based on 2006 numbers for grades 9-11 is 645. Is that always how the OHSAA determines divisional criteria or do they take into account the senior class as well for the divsional breakdown?

The OHSAA uses only 9-11 grades. They exclude the senior class.

I saw a list somewhere of what teams would be in which division and Hoover would be in the lower tier. McKinley and GlenOak would be in the higher tier. With fluctuations in enrollment, we may go back and forth between the two tiers depending on the enrollment numbers for that period. I believe the enrollment numbers are only taken every other year.