Western Buckeye League

O-G wins at St. Marys by 9...so, does Shawnee have anything for the Titans? I feel like outside of these three teams, the rest of the league is pretty humdrum.
I do not feel Shawnee is a complete team. They have been inconsistent throughout the season, having a couple quality wins and some head scratching losses and close games. They have Lima Senior and St Marys still to play in January before a 2/9 date with OG.

Scores from 1/12

Elida 50 Bath 32 - Bath scored 10 points in the 2nd half after being up 22-19 at the half.

Shawnee 67 Defiance 43
Wapak 44 Van Wert 30
OG 74 St Marys 65 - It appeared OG kept St Marys at arms length most of the game.

Celina 79 Kenton 77 3OT - Another surprise. Kenton lead by 11 going into the 4th. Celina made one 3 up until the 4th, when they started falling. In the 4th quarter and overtime periods, Celina made six 3’s. Braylon Gabes fouled out midway through the 2OT with 32 points. Celina once again struggled at the free throw line making 16 of 28.

Scores from 1/12

Elida 50 Bath 32 - Bath scored 10 points in the 2nd half after being up 22-19 at the half.

Shawnee 67 Defiance 43
Wapak 44 Van Wert 30
OG 74 St Marys 65 - It appeared OG kept St Marys at arms length most of the game.
OG was 21-20 after 1, 37-36 at the half. St Marys led by 4 in the 3rd before OG took a 57-52 lead after 3. Colin White had 19 of his 31 in the 2nd half including OG's final 10 of the game

Last edited:
Defiance lost by 1 to a Wauseon team that isn't really that good, and I'm not sure if Defiance has had a worse record through 12 games (4-8) in the last 16 seasons. Maybe only once at most, when they lost like 9 games in a row about 6 years ago. There are at least three more automatic losses on the schedule so a winning record is no doubt out of the question. Maybe a .500 record was always the ceiling, especially with a pretty challenging schedule, and I also can't remember a recent year when the whole team was basically football-first athletes.

We're 1/3 through the league schedule and O-G/Shawnee are both 3-0, Bath and Van Wert are both 0-3. I just noticed Bath has not won any game yet, either. St. Marys at 2-1 is probably the best of the rest, but I just looked and I'm kinda impressed with some of Elida's wins, so I'm somewhat sold on Elida. By the way, I find it interesting that LCC is going to play more games against WBL teams than any WBL team this season.

We're 1/3 through the league schedule and O-G/Shawnee are both 3-0
OG is better than Shawnee, St Marys is better than Shawnee. Elida & Shawnee are close - both have some solid wins but also some wins that should not have been as close as they were.

Lol....yep
Will be an interesting to see who they drop next season with going back to the NWC. Their SOS will drop unfortunately. When LCC was in the league prior, they lost 7 total league games. It helps some that Ada and Paulding are gone.

OG was 21-20 after 1, 37-36 at the half. St Marys led by 4 in the 3rd before OG took a 57-52 lead after 3. Colin White had 19 of his 31 in the 2nd half including OG's final 10 of the game
St Marys kept that game close for the most part because of Angstmann tying the school record with 8 triples too.

White and Erford combined for 56

In regards to St. Marys, does anyone know how their game with Findlay went? I see both OG and St. Marys have given Findlay their closest games of the year. I've seen OG play, so that part isn't as surprising for me.

Shelby will be playing Findlay at OG's winter classic next month, so I'm obviously curious as to whether or not Shelby can make things interesting. The only thing I know about Findlay was their appearance on ESPN's Top 10 Plays around Christmas.

Shelby will be playing Findlay at OG's winter classic next month, so I'm obviously curious as to whether or not Shelby can make things interesting. The only thing I know about Findlay was their appearance on ESPN's Top 10 Plays around Christmas.
Some good pizza places in Ottawa & Glandorf if you need some food before or after your game if you're heading to OG on the 10th

Some good pizza places in Ottawa & Glandorf if you need some food before or after your game if you're heading to OG on the 10th
Luckily, Shelby's best player, a Wright State commit, his dad's family are entirely Ottawa folks. The mom won the battle of "where do we live" when the family was started. The Shelby vs OG game was testy because of this. I have the best tour guides for Ottawa based on their family aligning with Shelby the past few seasons.

To go further, a former primary Catholic priest for an Ottawa parish is a Shelbyian...my mom's first cousin. I'm well taken care for if I ever go to Ottawa. Coming from a football town in Shelby, I've been excited to properly take in the Ottawa small town culture that embraces basketball in a way Shelby doesn't.

Luckily, Shelby's best player, a Wright State commit, his dad's family are entirely Ottawa folks. The mom won the battle of "where do we live" when the family was started. The Shelby vs OG game was testy because of this. I have the best tour guides for Ottawa based on their family aligning with Shelby the past few seasons.

To go further, a former primary Catholic priest for an Ottawa parish is a Shelbyian...my mom's first cousin. I'm well taken care for if I ever go to Ottawa. Coming from a football town in Shelby, I've been excited to properly take in the Ottawa small town culture that embraces basketball in a way Shelby doesn't.
I assumed you knew that....but didn't realize you were as connected as you are. I saw his dad play quite a bit when he was at OG.

A few surprising games tonight.

Celina 69 Elida 63
Defiance 45 Kenton 38
Shawnee 47 Wapak 45
OG 69 Bath 26
St Marys 63 Van Wert 37

League standings
OG 4-0
Shawnee 4-0
St Marys 3-1
Celina 3-1
Defiance 2-2
Elida 2-2
Kenton 1-3
Wapak 1-3
Bath 0-4
Van Wert 0-4

Did Wapak lead most of the game against Shawnee? I saw a couple scores and Wapak was ahead both times. Also, how did Celina/Elida go? That's probably a mild upset. Defiance got off to yet another slow start, went on a run in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, then held on against Kenton.

Did Wapak lead most of the game against Shawnee? I saw a couple scores and Wapak was ahead both times. Also, how did Celina/Elida go? That's probably a mild upset. Defiance got off to yet another slow start, went on a run in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, then held on against Kenton.
I listened to Celina /Elida on the radio. The game was fast paced in the first half, Elida lead 17-14 end of 1, Celina lead 36-35 at the half. I missed the 3rd quarter, but early 4th Elida held a 1 pt lead. From what I remember, the 4th quarter never got more than a 2 pt game for either team. Elida had the ball, up 2, with 58 seconds left in regulation. Celina fouled a couple times but then got a steal with 30 secs left. Celina missed a shot, loose ball, ended up being a jump ball which went to Elida. Score was 61-59 Elida. Celina fouled 2 more times and got Elida to the line with 19.8 secs left. Elida missed both free throws, still a 2 pt Elida lead. Celina tied it on an inbounds pass from mid court, layup style with 5 secs left. Elida got a desperation 3 off no good, OT. Elida scored the first bucket of OT and did not score again in OT, their shots weren’t falling and they had 2 or 3 big turnovers in the OT period. Celina iced the game late with free throws. Celina shot 53% from the floor, which has been pretty common all season. They do not shoot a lot, but when they do they make them consistently. Celina also made 10 3’s but Elida had more rebounds and 2 less turnovers than Celina.

I kept tabs on Wapak/Shawnee, close all game. Shawnee plays to the level of their opponents and has squeaked out a lot of wins.

Updated records through 1/23 midday. There are a handful of non-league games this evening.

OG 12-2 (4-0)
Shawnee 9-4 (4-0)
St Marys 9-4 (3-1)
Celina 7-5 (3-1)
Elida 9-4 (2-2)
Defiance 6-8 (2-2)
Kenton 7-6 (1-3)
Wapak 6-7 (1-3)
Van Wert 3-12 (0-4)
Bath 0-11 (0-4)

Big matchup on Friday as St Marys travels to Shawnee.

Don't forget the Red Pig Inn! I recommend the pork chops.

Henry's is another great place near the school.

Standings through 1/27 AM

OG 13-2 (5-0)
Shawnee 10-5 (5-0)
Celina 8-6 (4-1)
Elida 10-4 (3-2)
St Marys 9-5 (3-2)
Defiance 6-10 (2-3)
Wapak 7-7 (2-3)
Kenton 6-7 (1-4)
Van Wert 3-14 (0-5)
Bath 1-12 (0-5)

League will come down to OG at Shawnee which takes place on 2/9.

HUGE win for OG in a non-league affair last night with Hiland

League race is starting to wind down, with the only major showdown being OG at Shawnee on 2/9. All other games will be jockeying for tournament seedings and bragging rights. My head turns to the D-2 district where 8 league schools participate. This year Wapak moved up to D-1 and OG is D-3. The Liberty-Benton district is very even with no clear favorite IMO. There are only 3 teams with losing records currently in the district - Bath, Van Wert, and Defiance. There is also 3 non-league schools with good records in Napoleon (11-4), Fostoria (11-3), and Upper Sandusky (9-6). Fostoria appears to be the strongest of those three schools. There could be some intriguing matchups in tournament. Celina has yet to play Defiance and St Marys and could very well play them a second time. Celina has beaten Elida and Kenton, both needing OT. Could be very interesting, especially with home court advantage to the higher seed!

Yeah, I deserve the crow on that, but I am still not sold on Shawnee. Though they are trending in the right direction and may hit their stride at the right time.
Their best two players are a soph and a frosh. Inconsistency results due to young age. I heard the frosh had a triple double against St Mary's which does not happen much if true. ctown, thanks for being a good sport when I brought this up.

Their best two players are a soph and a frosh. Inconsistency results due to young age. I heard the frosh had a triple double against St Mary's which does not happen much if true. ctown, thanks for being a good sport when I brought this up.
Tournament time will be interesting, especially in the LB District, several teams have a chance!

Sorry, was out on a much needed vacation. Huge matchup this weekend as OG travels to Shawnee in a game that will decide the league winner. Shawnee has been playing more solid ball as of late. Do they have enough to stop White and Erford or at least slow one down? Not surprised at the OG/Celina score, I figured one of those players would score 30, hard to compete when both score 30+.

Begs the question, what does OG have coming up in the younger classes?

Sorry, was out on a much needed vacation. Huge matchup this weekend as OG travels to Shawnee in a game that will decide the league winner. Shawnee has been playing more solid ball as of late. Do they have enough to stop White and Erford or at least slow one down? Not surprised at the OG/Celina score, I figured one of those players would score 30, hard to compete when both score 30+.

Begs the question, what does OG have coming up in the younger classes?
Nothin. Epic collapse. Not even joking. 2-3 year drought.