Wembanyamba or Clark?

Which of these two will have a greater impact on their league for the next decade or so?

• Wemby

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Clark

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

Wemby. If you can’t teach height, you certainly can’t teach alien height. He can greatly impact both ends of the court. And it’s a small sample and he’s a rookie so there will be plenty of ups and downs during 20 game stretches but in his last 20 games he’s hitting over 40% from 3 at over 5 attempts per game.

I think it is Clark … not because she is better … but her impact could be like what Bird/Magic did … when they came into the NBA many of their playoff games where on tape delay … If Clark brings her popularity to the WNBA it would really raise the overall popularity of the league … as good as Wemby could be … the league is already popular and probably not going to gain much either way regardless of his skills.

Wemby

A good chance we forget about Clark at this time next year. WNBA plays during the summer when most people aren't paying attention to sports as much. I think the WNBA actually play during the day during the week.

Literally no one watches WNBA games, and I for one won't start. Caitlin is good, but not that good. The NBA and ESPN have tried for years to make people interested in it, and it has failed. A prime time game with Caitlin won't succeed either.

Now, if every team had celebrity coaches like Ana De Armas, Sydney Sweeney, etc. I may tune in for a few minutes.

Literally no one watches WNBA games, and I for one won't start. Caitlin is good, but not that good. The NBA and ESPN have tried for years to make people interested in it, and it has failed. A prime time game with Caitlin won't succeed either.

Now, if every team had celebrity coaches like Ana De Armas, Sydney Sweeney, etc. I may tune in for a few minutes.
People really need to stop misusing the word "literally".

Wemby

A good chance we forget about Clark at this time next year. WNBA plays during the summer when most people aren't paying attention to sports as much. I think the WNBA actually play during the day during the week.

Plenty of weeknight games

Plenty of weeknight games

Never said they didn’t play any at night.

Monday, May 20 Connecticut Sun vs Indiana Fever with Caitlin Clark. Yep, going to call
Off work to stay home and watch that one

The Iowa vs Ohio State women’s game this week had a few interesting stats

4.42 million(3.3 average). That was how many people tuned in to the game at its peak viewership, Fox announced Tuesday. Most in 25 years

The Iowa-Ohio State game drew more viewers than the Golden State Warriors-Boston Celtics game, which also aired live on Sunday. The Warriors-Celtics matchup drew an average of 3.01 million viewers on ABC, according to Sports Media Watch.

4.42 million(3.3 average). That was how many people tuned in to the game at its peak viewership, Fox announced Tuesday. Most in 25 years

The Iowa-Ohio State game drew more viewers than the Golden State Warriors-Boston Celtics game, which also aired live on Sunday. The Warriors-Celtics matchup drew an average of 3.01 million viewers on ABC, according to Sports Media Watch.
It should be noted the Warriors aren’t what the once were, they are currently battling for a playoff spot as the 9th seed.

But that high viewership was due to Clark on the cusp of breaking Pistol Pete's record. What are the Hawkeyes ratings on the other games?
Look, I like Clark and I think she will be a fantastic player in the WNBA. But I remember listening to one of the radio pundits several years ago in regards to soccer. I think the WNBA can apply here.
This radio guy ( maybe Kornheiser) said that as Americans, our sports plate is full. As far as sports leagues- there is no free time.
January- College and NFL playoffs
February- Superbowl and NBA/ NHL are hitting the midway point
March- March madness
April- July. Regular season baseball, playoff Hockey and Basketball
August- December. Preseason and regular season football
Add in the bigger golf and tennis events, huge fights and Olympics every 2 years- there is little space for 'other' leagues. That's why in our football crazed society USFL, Arena, Vince McMahon leagues, etc can't get their footing. No room on the calender.

But that high viewership was due to Clark on the cusp of breaking Pistol Pete's record. What are the Hawkeyes ratings on the other games?
Look, I like Clark and I think she will be a fantastic player in the WNBA. But I remember listening to one of the radio pundits several years ago in regards to soccer. I think the WNBA can apply here.
This radio guy ( maybe Kornheiser) said that as Americans, our sports plate is full. As far as sports leagues- there is no free time.
January- College and NFL playoffs
February- Superbowl and NBA/ NHL are hitting the midway point
March- March madness
April- July. Regular season baseball, playoff Hockey and Basketball
August- December. Preseason and regular season football
Add in the bigger golf and tennis events, huge fights and Olympics every 2 years- there is little space for 'other' leagues. That's why in our football crazed society USFL, Arena, Vince McMahon leagues, etc can't get their footing. No room on the calender.
She has been getting high ratings for almost two years now

She has been getting high ratings for almost two years now

She would take Bronny James in a one on one matchup.

It’d be close, though.

Great point except it is irrelevant. The discussion was about her impact on the WNBA. Womens college hoops is far more popular than the WNBA, and Caitlin sent that interest way up the last few months. But I only watched when she was playing OSU, because I have a rooting interest in the OSU team.

People really need to stop misusing the word "literally".
Or it could be that a person knows exactly what the word means and was using it in a hyperbolic way, trying to emphasize a point. Is that OK with you? I realize that some smaller minds can only understand the literal meaning of words. Sorry if my hyperbole threw you off.

Or it could be that a person knows exactly what the word means and was using it in a hyperbolic way, trying to emphasize a point. Is that OK with you? I realize that some smaller minds can only understand the literal meaning of words. Sorry if my hyperbole threw you off.
You could just say "no one", which would still be obviously wrong, but the hyperbole would be correctly utilized. Saying "literally" is just you being extra.

But if Clark can make the WNBA relevant … that is something Wemby can’t do … the NBA is and will be relevant regardless of Wemby … to me, a person who makes the entire league relevant is more impactful than a person who is a superstar in a league that is already relavent …. to me the only question … is can she bring and sustain the level of excitement to the WNBA that she has for Iowa women’s basketball.

To me it is like asking who was more impactful Bird/Magic or LeBron …. there is no question that LeBron is better and more popular … but Magic and Bird elevated the entire NBA to heights never seen … there playoff games were being played on tape delay after the 11:00 news when they came into the league … pretty much like a minor league … so they were more “impactful” than LeBron.

But if Clark can make the WNBA relevant … that is something Wemby can’t do … the NBA is and will be relevant regardless of Wemby … to me, a person who makes the entire league relevant is more impactful than a person who is a superstar in a league that is already relavent …. to me the only question … is can she bring and sustain the level of excitement to the WNBA that she has for Iowa women’s basketball.

To me it is like asking who was more impactful Bird/Magic or LeBron …. there is no question that LeBron is better and more popular … but Magic and Bird elevated the entire NBA to heights never seen … there playoff games were being played on tape delay after the 11:00 news when they came into the league … pretty much like a minor league … so they were more “impactful” than LeBron.
I was under the assumption you were asking who will have the biggest impact on the court. No mention in your OP of off the court impact.