Week 5: Elder @ Louisville St. Xavier

Rush Limbaugh

Moving on from the heartbreaker on Saturday... Elder is on the road for the first time this year against the Tigers of 'ville St. X (another cat fight). Are their still doubters about this team or did the St. Ed's game show you that this team is for real?

After watching the game Saturday, i cannot deny that this offense is one of the top elite offenses not only in the area but in the entire state. With #8 taking snaps behind that OL, they will be dangerous.

However, special teams must have a different look moving on.

Is it just me or has special teams (especially kickoffs) been a pain point for the last 15 or so years?

Over at Bluegrass Preps (which I hate because they make you pay to post) they think Elder will win.

Is it just me or has special teams (especially kickoffs) been a pain point for the last 15 or so years?

Over at Bluegrass Preps (which I hate because they make you pay to post) they think Elder will win.

The Guru guy is from NKY. He gets very excited when a Kentucky team beats an Ohio team.

I feel as if anytime we play in the state of Kentucky (or Indiana) we start the game down 10-0.

Last edited:

Kickoff coverage has been a weakness but that’s usually masked by having a Kicker that can kick touchbacks.

Id say FG kicking has been pretty good since the early 00s. They haven’t had a stud like Milianobut in the few instances they kick FGs, they’re usually pretty steady.

Punting has been kinda meh, but Dugan has done a solid job this yr.

Elder's kryptonite, which it has been for years, is speed at the opponent's skill positions. Elder can play smash mouth football with anyone in the tri-state.

They honestly match up worse with teams like Princeton, Moe and PN than they do Eds. This manifests itself with kickoff returns as well, as returners are typically the stud speed guys. It has more to do with that than poor special teams play.

Athleticism and speed in space is a recipe for disaster.

They've also yet to come across a stud throwing QB with quality receivers. Does LStX have that? If not, Elder should win.

Speaking of special teams, does anyone know the last times Elder ran a punt and kickoff back for a td? I want to say that they ran a punt back more recently than they did a kickoff, but I'm not sure.

Speaking of special teams, does anyone know the last times Elder ran a punt and kickoff back for a td? I want to say that they ran a punt back more recently than they did a kickoff, but I'm not sure.
Flowers ran a kick back 2 yrs ago vs Moeller. I honest to god can’t remember the last punt return TD I’ve seen from Elder or an opponent

The last I can remember of each:
Eric Linneman '07 season returned a Punt.
Ben Coffaro '10 season returned a Kickoff.

Maybe there's been one of each more recent, but those are the ones I can remember.

Flowers ran a kick back 2 yrs ago vs Moeller. I honest to god can’t remember the last punt return TD I’ve seen from Elder or an opponent
Forgot about Flowers 2 years ago. Good call. Was the most recent one prior to that one by Coffaro?

Forgot about Flowers 2 years ago. Good call. Was the most recent one prior to that one by Coffaro?
Honestly, no idea. But I think you’re right about Linneman being the last punt return vs Cov Cath in ‘07. You really don’t see punts being returned at all at any level in Football.

After watching the game Saturday, i cannot deny that this offense is one of the top elite offenses not only in the area but in the entire state. With #8 taking snaps behind that OL, they will be dangerous.

To add to the OL, the Receivers block very well also and a few of them are pretty physical getting our RB#25 back will help our depth going into the next few weeks.

2 yrs ago, Elder had a slow start to this game, got down early, fought back to get a lead, then lost it late.

Going off the scores of their previous games, the Ville X D is pretty stout. Elder had a fantastic game plan vs Eds and the Offense really clicked. At the same time, I think you have to be conscientious of all the hits Brass is taking. Hopefully, Meier being worked back into the rotation will help take some of the load off Brass.

I’d pump the brakes on that a bit. They still need to establish a true RB. I do agree, the OL is playing very well. They had a rough first game, but seem to have to started to gel.

Wiii Uran and Fortkamp and Priestle be back?
I believe Uran was back against Ed’s, I may be mistaken though.

Fortkamp should return this week. His return should help the number of missed tackles.

In Priestleys case however, I have no clue what his injury to time table is looking like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Uran was back against Ed’s, I may be mistaken though.

Fortkamp should return this week. His return should help the number of missed tackles.

In Priestleys case however, I have no clue what his injury to time table is looking like.
Uran played against St. Edward. I heard his name mentioned a few times.

Don't discuss specifics about injuries.

FYI...Louisville St. X home games are streamed for free on the school's youtube page and also the WHAS 11+ app.

I wonder why they do both. Most smart TV have youtube on them so it just seems like double for nothing.

I usually watch WDRB on Thursday and Fridays when I work from home and I noticed they have the Trinity games. I wonder if it is just keeping up with the Jones.

Lou St X looks to be relatively balanced in the passing attack with 4-5 receivers as contributors. They look to be more of a passing team based on the stats. Would you consider that an accurate statement? Will be a good test for the secondary.

Also might be tough to stop Elder's run offense based on the defensive running stats. I think this one will be a close game but Elder pulls it out. Elder's advantage in the trenches will be the difference.

Elder - 31
LStX - 24

Lou St X looks to be relatively balanced in the passing attack with 4-5 receivers as contributors. They look to be more of a passing team based on the stats. Would you consider that an accurate statement? Will be a good test for the secondary.

Also might be tough to stop Elder's run offense based on the defensive running stats. I think this one will be a close game but Elder pulls it out. Elder's advantage in the trenches will be the difference.

Elder - 31
LStX - 24
St. X strength on offense is passing game. WR Marlon Harbin has offers from University of Louisville and Kentucky. QB Trevor Havill is returning starter from last year and has FCS level offers. WR Cameron Halloway has great hands and makes some great catches. Two O-lineman that are seniors have started since sophomores and Carter Guillaume which is one of the two has committed to Southeast Missouri State. The defense is led by DL Ashton Jones who Is also committed to SEMO. The defense has been a surprise so far this season since they only returned 3 starters from last year but Elder will be a big test for them based on how Elder has played so far this season.

As others have said, Uran is back and played against Ed's. Forktamp should be back very soon. Priestle I think is out a little longer. Nick Lyons played fullback last week. He had been out.
Good to see guys coming back after missing time. Fortkamp and Priestle (eventually) will give the team additional options with the PT the replacements got while they were gone. Lyons looked good in his first game. Looking forward to Meier coming back this week in a bigger role!

Does Elder specifically match their Corners up with opposing WRs or do they just have each Corner lock down on their side of the field?