Week 11: Springboro

ReLoad

The R4 #4 seed Bombers (6-4) open the 2023 postseason at RDI Stadium 7pm this Friday against the #13 seed Springboro Panthers (2-8)

This will be the very first meeting between the 2 schools

The Panthers belong to the tough Greater Western Ohio Conference which boasts football powers Springfield, Wayne, Northmont and Centerville

2023 Results: lost 27-14 to Lebanon, lost to Withrow 29-10, lost to Elder 28-7, beat Beavercreek 31-0, lost to Fairmont 17-7, lost to Centerville 16-6, lost to Springfield 28-9, lost to Northmont 31-24, beat Wayne 40-8 and lost to Miamisburg 28-9

The 40-8 blowout of Wayne (7-3) just last week (Week 9) requires investigation

X and Springboro share 2 common opponents: Elder and Withrow

The 40-8 blowout of Wayne (7-3) just last week (Week 9) requires investigation
A look at the boxscore tells the story

Springboro offense
A sophomore #21 RB Mattias Brunicardi (5'10" 192lb) who had just 2 carries in their first 6 games and 7 carries in each of the previous 2 games had a breakout game: 21 carries for 171 yards and 1 TD. This opened things up for the sophomore #10 QB Jacob Davis (6'3" 165lb) to have his best game: 11 for 16 for 155 yards and 3 TDs and his 2 biggest targets #0 Will Yates Sr. (6'0" 160lb) and #3 Max Butler
*Yates plays both ways (CB-22 tackles and 2 INTs and WR-351 yards and 4 TDs) and returns kickoffs and is committed to Ball State

Springboro defense
Wayne only turned the ball over once and despite 342 yards of offense, only scored 8 points.
The reason? They were 0 for 5 on 4th down conversions and only 5 of 16 on 3rd down conversions.
The Panther defense came up big led by....
#1 DB Sylas Cunningham Sr. 5'11" 165lb with 13 tackles committed to Duquesne
#9 LB Ben Krause Sr. 6'0" 185lb with 11 tackles
#4 LB Connor Smith Sr. 5'10" 185lb with 9 tackles
#5 LB Mason Pitl Sr. 6'0" 202lb with 7 tackles
#38 LB Aiden Weimer Jr. 6'0" 200lb with 6 tackles and 2 tackles for loss

Looks like the Springboro QB position has been in flux
The sophomore #10 Davis started the first 2 games and then in Week 3 vs Elder was replaced by #13 senior Austin Newdigate (6’0” 150lb)
Newdigate then played in Weeks 4 through 8 but was replaced by Davis in the Week 8 game vs Northmont.
Newdigate is a dual threat (he’s the team’s leading rusher with 403 yards)

Last night vs Trinity Catholic: Vollmer: 3 punts for 136 yards (45.8 avg) including a 61 yarder downed at the 1 inch line

So is Vollmer the team's punter?
And kickoff returner?
And wildcat QB?
And running back
And wideout running sweeps and catching swing passes?

Can he play noseguard?
If so X could move Hammond to tight end

Last night vs Trinity Catholic: Vollmer: 3 punts for 136 yards (45.8 avg) including a 61 yarder downed at the 1 inch line

So is Vollmer the team's punter?
And kickoff returner?
And wildcat QB?
And running back
And wideout running sweeps and catching swing passes?

Can he play noseguard?
If so X could move Hammond to tight end
Definitely not getting an opportunity to play QB. I'd advice the young man to transfer, so he can develop at the position. St X coaching staff has clearly made it evident their choice at QB is #7. This comic book O should be renamed the comical O because it's uncreative even for youth football. St X completed one pass down the field (TD to #12 on broken coverage) vs a bad Trinity FL team and rest of the completions were WR/RB screens and TE pop passes off playaction. If #3 can't run the limited playbook that is being utilized with #7 at QB, I'm sure there are considerable upgrades on St X roster who could.

Again I ask, what is #7 bringing to the QB position and on the field that is unreplaceable by #3 or even the JV QB? Both have better arms, more athletic, and running threats. I'd bet money both wouldn't take a knee in end zone for a safety prior to halftime.

Last edited:
In Springboro's Week 10 loss to Miamisburg (7-3), the Panthers led 9-7 at the half and headed into the 4th quarter
A pair of 4th quarter rushing TDs by Miamisburg made the final 21-9.
The Panthers have a similar QB situation to X with a passing QB and a running QB
#10 Sophomore Jacob Davis was 15 for 23 for 123 yards but he tossed 2 INTs
#13 Senior Austin Newdigate was 2 for 3 for 13 yards and rushed 8 times for just 1 yard, his longest gain was 13 yards
*Miamisburg manhandled the Springboro OLine amassing 4 sacks and 12 tackles for loss

Springboro defense vs Wayne
#1 DB Sylas Cunningham Sr. 5'11" 165lb with 13 tackles committed to Duquesne
#9 LB Ben Krause Sr. 6'0" 185lb with 11 tackles
#4 LB Connor Smith Sr. 5'10" 185lb with 9 tackles
#5 LB Mason Pitl Sr. 6'0" 202lb with 7 tackles
#38 LB Aiden Weimer Jr. 6'0" 200lb with 6 tackles and 2 tackles for loss
In last night's final regular season game vs Miamisburg, these 5 Panthers made 48 of the 63 tackles

Interesting breakdown of the GWOC Conference (8 teams) by region
Springboro is the only team in the league in Region 4 (D1)
Northmont is in Region 8 (D2)
And the other 6 teams: Wayne, Centerville, Springfield, Beavercreek, Miamisburg and Fairmont are in Region 2 (D1)

Last edited:
Definitely not getting an opportunity to play QB. I'd advice the young man to transfer, so he can develop at the position. St X coaching staff has clearly made it evident their choice at QB is #7. This comic book O should be renamed the comical O because it's uncreative even for youth football. St X completed one pass down the field (TD to #12 on broken coverage) vs a bad Trinity FL team and rest of the completions were WR/RB screens and TE pop passes off playaction. If #3 can't run the limited playbook that is being utilized with #7 at QB, I'm sure there are considerable upgrades on St X roster who could.

Again I ask, what is #7 bringing to the QB position and on the field that is unreplaceable by #3 or even the JV QB? Both have better arms, more athletic, and running threats. I'd bet money both wouldn't take a knee in end zone for a safety prior to halftime.
Here's why 7 is back there- 3 has had very little success throwing the ball, and his control of the offense has been catch the ball, run the ball. The comical offense is watching the defense put 9 in the box when he's taking the snap because he's going yo run the ball. I don't love 7 back there either, but the best success the past two weeks has been with him at the helm, even if he is handing off a substantial amount. There is zero respect for 3's arm from defenses, or his ability to do anything but run.

Next fall may be very different at QB though since 3 will have a much better chance to learn the playbook, and how to read a defense. Or maybe 7 develops out well, and 3 continues at WR or gasp, back up QB, like Wolf did behind Clifford.

Give it a rest, your single minded posts are past their due date.
Didn't realize QB and offensive playbook discussion were off limits or had an expiration date. I've been watching St X football since the late 80s and it's definitely been an odd year offensively.

To be less single minded, Senior Night was again special. Always enjoyable to see the players and their parents recognized.

Springboro is the only team in the league in Region 1 (D1)
Trotwood is in Region 8 (D2)
And the other 6 teams: Wayne, Centerville, Springfield, Beavercreek, Miamisburg and Fairmont are in Region 2 (D1)
When ECC offered Sycamore a conference spot, I remember there was talk or interest in Springboro joining the GMC. They are in Warren County, so it makes sense geographically.

Springboro is the only team in the league in Region 1 (D1)
This will be Springboro’s 13th post season tournament
Their first appearance was in 1999 when they were D2 and in Region 8.
They made 2 more appearances while in D2 in 2004 and 2005
2005 was their best tournament showing winning 2 post season games for the first and only time in school history

In 2006 the GWOC Conference expanded from 2 divisions to 3 divisions and increased from 13 teams to 17 teams.
Springboro was one of the 4 teams added to the conference.

In 2007 Springboro jumped from D2 to D1 and was added to Region 4
In 2012 Springboro qualified for the post season for the first time in D1 earning the #2 seed with a 10-0 record.
They lost to Lakota East 45-38 in OT in round 1
From 2012 to 2022 Springboro qualified for post season 9 times, missing only in 2017 and 2018

Their overall post season record is 6-12 (3-3 in D2 and 3-9 in D1)

When ECC offered Sycamore a conference spot, I remember there was talk or interest in Springboro joining the GMC. They are in Warren County, so it makes sense geographically.
I think the ECC has surpassed the GMC as the best public school league. Outside of Princeton and Lakota West there really isn't anyone else in the GMC worth a dam. If they played each other across the board I would take the ECC in 6 or 7 of the games.

Springboro Offensive Line
76 Jack Zier Sr. 6’1” 285lb
53 Joe Schenking Jr. 6’0” 220lb
75 Jackson Dulle Jr. 6’0” 225lb
59 Andrew Fortener So. 6’1” 270lb
78 Jack Harper So. 6’3” 252lb

Their line is young (2 sophomores and 2 juniors) and small at LG and Center (220lb and 225lb).
They allow 2 sacks and 5 tackles for loss per game.

Springboro as a team is minus 14 in the takeaway department (25 turnovers to 11)
Their 25 turnovers breakdown to 17 interceptions and 8 fumbles lost

Last edited:
This will be Springboro’s 13th post season tournament
Their first appearance was in 1999 when they were D2 and in Region 8.
They made 2 more appearances while in D2 in 2004 and 2005
2005 was their best tournament showing winning 2 post season games for the first and only time in school history

In 2006 the GWOC Conference expanded from 2 divisions to 3 divisions and increased from 13 teams to 17 teams.
Springboro was one of the 4 teams added to the conference.

In 2007 Springboro jumped from D2 to D1 and was added to Region 4
In 2012 Springboro qualified for the post season for the first time in D1 earning the #2 seed with a 10-0 record.
They lost to Lakota East 45-38 in OT in round 1
From 2012 to 2022 Springboro qualified for post season 9 times, missing only in 2017 and 2018

Their overall post season record is 6-12 (3-3 in D2 and 3-9 in D1)
By comparison......
This will be StX's 30th post season appearance
Their 1st appearance was in 1981 with record of 8-3.
As R4's #2 seed they lost to the EE in the 1st round 18-7 at Galbraith Field
X returned in 1987 with a record of 8-2 as the #4 seed
Lost to Princeton in the 1st round 28-0 at Princeton Viking Stadium
From 1992 (state runner up) to 2022 the Bombers made the tournament 27 years only missing in 1995, 1996, 2003, 2008

Offensively the Panthers are a 50-50 pass to run team (291 pass attempts to 275 rush attempts)
They average 245 yards and 15 points per game: 105 yards rushing and 140 yards passing
Their passing and rushing games are short yardage with no real deep threat or breakaway threat.
In 10 games the Panther offense only registered 1 play over 50 yards and 4 plays over 35 yards

The 2 QBs have a combined 9 TD passes and 17 INTs
The 4 receivers average between 8 and 11 yards per catch
The senior QB nearly accounts for half of the team's rushing yards.
Their 3 RBs (Robinson 43 carries, Brunicardi 42 carries and Standifer 39 carries) have combined for just 536 yards in 10 games

Springboro starters by class: 11 seniors, 6 juniors and 6 sophomores

Here's why 7 is back there- 3 has had very little success throwing the ball, and his control of the offense has been catch the ball, run the ball. The comical offense is watching the defense put 9 in the box when he's taking the snap because he's going yo run the ball. I don't love 7 back there either, but the best success the past two weeks has been with him at the helm, even if he is handing off a substantial amount. There is zero respect for 3's arm from defenses, or his ability to do anything but run.

Next fall may be very different at QB though since 3 will have a much better chance to learn the playbook, and how to read a defense. Or maybe 7 develops out well, and 3 continues at WR or gasp, back up QB, like Wolf did behind Clifford.
Is lack of success or respect #3s fault or plays called for him at QB?
Is lack of success or respect #7s fault or plays called for him at QB?

Defenses don't respect St. X's passing game period. Comical offense has two standard routes (WR Streak into double coverage and TE 5 yard out) when #3 at QB. Regular offense has WR/RB screens, TE checkdown, and deep post when #7 at QB. Watch a few prior games on film and it's not exactly a hard passing game to defend, plus highly predictable.

It's Week #1 of the playoffs, I don't think learning the playbook is an issue for both at this point in the season. I've heard both are hardworking and bright young men. Obviously, neither is being allowed to utilize the playbook entirely or given full reign of the offense. The last three weeks was the weakest part of St. X's schedule. You can't overlook the past three opponents records or the fact the rushing game has considerably out performed the passing game during the recent winning streak.

Be interesting to see the direction of the offense if St. X makes a lil run in playoffs.

Last edited:
I am going to make a prediction. There is going to be a QB transfer into StX that will be the starter next season. #3 will transition into starting Hback or Slot WR. #3 is super talented but playing two sports and for as good as he is at Lacrosse it makes it really tough for him to lock down the starting QB position.

Is lack of success or respect #3s fault or plays called for him at QB?
Is lack of success or respect #7s fault or plays called for him at QB?

Defenses don't respect St. X's passing game period. Comical offense has two standard rights (WR Streak into double coverage and TE 5 yard out) when #3 at QB. Regular offense has WR/RB screens, TE checkdown, and deep post when #7 at QB. Watch a few prior games on film and it's not exactly a hard passing game to defend, plus highly predictable.

It's Week #1 of the playoffs, I don't think learning the playbook is an issue for both at this point in the season. I've heard both are hardworking and bright young men. Obviously, neither is being allowed to utilize the playbook entirely or given full reign of the offense. The last three weeks was the weakest part of St. X's schedule. You can't overlook the past three opponents records or the fact the rushing game has considerably out performed the passing game during the recent winning streak.

Be interesting to see the direction of the offense if St. X makes a lil run in playoffs.
As far as #3, the playbook is very simplified, I am assuming due to inexperience. For #7 I think it is simplified because the ability to read a defense effectively and make the right decision is not there. It doesn't help either that #6, who through the first 4 weeks looked like he could be a budding star has been pretty absent since the Moeller game. Not sure if injured or lost confidence because there were some costly drops and tips that led to INT's.

The rushing game is the strength of this team, and it seems to be more effective when a QB is under center than from the gun the past few weeks. If 3,4, or 44 are taking the direct snap, the defense can pretty much sell out on the basically the 4 run plays they use from it, and take their chances leaving one or two guys back as safeties. Even though 7 has not been stellar, or even mediocre by X standards, he still keeps the defense honest.

Reactions: 4GX
ReLoad and Bomberinmonroe, You're talking early-to-mid 90s with the Sollmans. How old are you guys anyway !!?

P.S. Probably not as old as me.

All that aside, something tells me the Bombers are poised for a good run in Region 4. It doesn't seem like there's a real clear cut favorite even with the one and two seeds undefeated.

Springboro is the only team in the league in Region 4 (D1)

Just a correction...... Trotwood is not in the GWOC they are independent. I believe you probably meant Northmont who defeated LaSalle this season.

As for the Springboro/Wayne game. Springboro has a few of the old Wayne coaches who many Wayne fans want to come back to coach Wayne. Springboro always is fired up when they play Wayne. I can't explain the 40-8 result though Springboro winning the game is not to much of a surprise. What you don't see in the statistics of that game is that on 3 kickoffs Wayne did not cover the ball and Boro came down field and recovered. THREE times that happened. There was also a bad snap on a Wayne punt deep in their own territory that gave Springboro great field position. Wayne also fumbled the ball that was returned for a TD. Wayne had a 2nd turnover that for some reason was not noted on the stats in that game as well and it came off of a QB/RB exchange in the red zone.

Wayne has the worse defense statistically in the league heading into that game with Springboro. Wayne could not contain the run game be it RB or QB. Wayne also played without some key players and they obviously were not prepared for this game and likely looking ahead for the Centerville game who they dominated in week 10.

Springboro's main problem that I have noticed this season has been turning the ball over. They have been in many games and basically back to back mistakes have cost them victories. I would say they are one of the best 2-8 teams in the state. Springboro's strength will be defense. I think they will have a very hard time moving the ball and scoring against X. Boro may keep it close if they don't turn the ball over and don't give the Bombers good field position. I see X winning though by at least 21..... possibly 28-7 type score...

I am going to make a prediction. There is going to be a QB transfer into StX that will be the starter next season. #3 will transition into starting Hback or Slot WR. #3 is super talented but playing two sports and for as good as he is at Lacrosse it makes it really tough for him to lock down the starting QB position.
X doesn't accept transfers unless student-athlete is from another Jesuit school.....see Nick Carovillano and Nick Dietz

Just a correction...... Trotwood is not in the GWOC they are independent. I believe you probably meant Northmont who defeated LaSalle this season.
Yes. Thanks, fixed it
What you don't see in the statistics of that game is that on 3 kickoffs Wayne did not cover the ball and Boro came down field and recovered. THREE times that happened. There was also a bad snap on a Wayne punt deep in their own territory that gave Springboro great field position. Wayne also fumbled the ball that was returned for a TD. Wayne had a 2nd turnover that for some reason was not noted on the stats in that game as well and it came off of a QB/RB exchange in the red zone.
I see that now.
In the team stat comparison it only shows Wayne having 1 turnover, but further down you see that Springboro recovered 5 fumbles

Springboro's main problem that I have noticed this season has been turning the ball over. They have been in many games and basically back to back mistakes have cost them victories. I would say they are one of the best 2-8 teams in the state. Springboro's strength will be defense. I think they will have a very hard time moving the ball and scoring against X. Boro may keep it close if they don't turn the ball over and don't give the Bombers good field position. I see X winning though by at least 21..... possibly 28-7 type score...
Yes, Springboro is minus 18 on the year in the takeaway department.
Last Friday, 2 interceptions (terrible decisions/throws by the sophomore QB) led to 2 Miamisburg 4th quarter touchdowns and the 21-9 loss
So turnovers, inexperienced and undersized OLine and lack of breakaway speed at the skill positions are all issues for the Springboro offense

I was surprised when #3 only was at QB for 1 series last Friday vs Trinity.
Was it because it was senior night and they gave #4 more opportunities which kudos to him, he made the best of?
Was it because they knew #3 was going to be handling the punting duties for the first time and they wanted him focused on that?

As far as him as punter......I like how he attacks the ball running straight ahead and taking a full leg swing at it like a lot of the college punters do.
It's not the traditional 2 step punting nor is it the sideways run and subsequent rugby style side punt.
He's really good at it and as we saw on one punt attempt he started the run but just kept going for several yards but was tackled just short of a 1st down.

Getting back to the direction of the offense, I would guess they are going to continue to use both #7 and #3 as QBs with their assigned playbooks and use #4 and #44 in both the wildcat and as RBs. Not enough footballs to go around

That suddenness does remind me of the Sollman boys.
With the Football Endowment and Locker Room Project underway with locker sponsorships available for $1,250 to put former players name plates on their locker jersey number, the project should be completed before Britt graduates in 2026. So if he keeps the #44 jersey he will probably see the Sollman's names on his locker throughout the season.

I wonder if he's aware of the brother's and that they are the 2nd and 6th leading rushers in Bomber history?

Since Steve Sollman graduated in 2000 (played 1997-99) the majority of players to wear #44 have been LBs, the most notable being Nick Dietz in 2011, the year X lost to Pick Central at Welcome Stadium 14-7 in the state semis.

Jersey Numbers of Featured Bomber Running Backs Past 35 years
#4 Steven Napier (2022)
#20 Charles (C.J.) Kellom (2020-2021)
#20 Kellen Newman (2019)
#3 Chris Payne (2018)
#4 Matt Fox (2017)
#4 Quinn Early (2016)
#32 Sean Prophit (2015)
#4 Ben Glines (2013-14)
#8 CJ Hilliard (2012-13)
#4 Conor Hundley (2009-11)
#4 Nevin Heard (2008)