Week 1: Pickerington North

For those keeping score at home, "Stud" has been used four times in this thread and "Athlete" has been used ten times.
Thanks for that statistical update EHD. Would it be possible to tell us if we took Omar and Doublehelix out of this thread how many times those words would have been used?

I mean, he's not wrong. They need more studs and better athletes to compete with the big boys.

I know most don't care because Johnny Elder is getting his turn. But that's Elder's decision, not mine.

They still have 9 games left plus 1 or 2 playoff games and I'll be there rooting for them. My guess is that you will be too.
Of course, I’ll be supporting Elder until I die and even beyond then. It’s just disheartening to see them consistently fall short due to the same issues.

IMO we will see the freshman QB starting on varsity this year.

IF/when that happens, this offense must change.
They also need to work in Harmeling more. IDK why he was just returning Kicks. He’s the fastest skill player on Offense by miles.

As I’ve been told before, Im aware this isn’t Fantasy Football. I understand Brass potentially making the switch to RB is a lot more work in practice. Maybe it’s too much of a change to make in the course of 2 weeks, but the staff has to try something. And if they make the switch and it doesn’t work, fine, but at least they’re trying to find a solution.

Last edited:
Elder had a shade over 300 yards on offense, and Brass accounted for most of it. Why does there need to be a QB change?

There needs to be more weapons. If Elder has athletic weapons they aren't using, why?

Goettkee is done. It’s a bad injury. Surgery already happening.
Which is shocking bc he didn’t act like he was in a lot of pain when the injury happened. I’ve seen players with cramps freak out more than Goettke with his injury.

Elder had a shade over 300 yards on offense, and Brass accounted for most of it. Why does there need to be a QB change?

There needs to be more weapons. If Elder has athletic weapons they aren't using, why?
I don’t think their NEEDS to be a change.

IMO the way Elder runs its QB, Brass won’t last the season. Maybe not even the next week.

I think the first fumble by Brass might’ve been more of a game changer than the fumble inside the 1. E had all the momentum up to that point and had PN off balance going up tempo. Up to that point, I believe PN had 2 3& outs on O, but getting the ball inside the E 20 and scoring, gave them life
Good point. Really long mesh point on that exchange.

IMO we will see the freshman QB starting on varsity this year.

IF/when that happens, this offense must change.
Everyone needs to relax on the QB situation. Brass is the QB, Roden the likely backup, plus they've got another senior who is injured. I just can't see Elder playing a freshman QB with all those older QBs in the program already.

I just can't see Elder playing a freshman QB with all those older QBs in the program already.
Is he better?

If he is, he should be in there. I don't know the answer, but simply being a Senior and part of the program shouldn't give you an entitled spot ahead of him just because he's younger.

Is he better?

If he is, he should be in there. I don't know the answer, but simply being a Senior and part of the program shouldn't give you an entitled spot ahead of him just because he's younger.
I can't imagine that he is, though not entirely fair of me to say since the only time I saw him play was last Fall for SMOY. But maturity, time in the weight room and overall experience give the other 3 an edge over him. That's what I'm saying, not necessarily that they should play because they're older.

But we all know some kids can be better without that as well. Sounds like it could be the case.

If he's in the conversation as a freshman, there's a reason for that. He likely plays well above his grade level, and that's a good thing for Elder who desperately needs some game-changers.

I agree they likely won't do it because it's not something they do, but they need to start, especially if these younger kids can be potential weapons, because they are thin on game-changers.

Everyone needs to relax on the QB situation. Brass is the QB, Roden the likely backup, plus they've got another senior who is injured. I just can't see Elder playing a freshman QB with all those older QBs in the program already.
Estep outplayed Roden in the OH scrimmage. And to be frank, Roden struggled in both the West & OH Scrimmage. Estep should already be the backup. And who knows when Schachleiter will be back and how effective he’ll be after being sidelined over a month.

The ultimate point is they cannot stick with the personnel they had last night. Not only is it ineffective, it puts Brass’ health at risk.

I can't imagine that he is, though not entirely fair of me to say since the only time I saw him play was last Fall for SMOY. But maturity, time in the weight room and overall experience give the other 3 an edge over him. That's what I'm saying, not necessarily that they should play because they're older.
Everyone with a brain, knew that’s what you meant. I’m only going off the limited times I’ve seen Estep in scrimmages, but he looks the part in terms of physical maturity. Also, working with Peyton as a his personal QB Coach also helps.

Last edited:
Everyone with a brain, knew that’s what you meant.
But I'm saying, everything I've heard, and it sounds like you agree, is that he's probably the 2nd best QB in the program (and one of the better football players in the program). If that's the case, pull him up and get him some reps. You can't be scared to pull that trigger if a kid is talented. No one else cares about it.

LW is playing a freshman at QB. It will pay off in the long-run.

If playing a Freshman qb is out then Roden has to start and Brass to RB. When Schachleiter comes back Brass has to play running back. So why not start it now. The current offense is one dimensional.

Definitely agree he needs to protect himself a little more especially on runs to the sideline.
In his defense, he gutted it out and almost carried them on one leg to victory.

But is wasn’t just his running, he was getting hit nearly every time he dropped back. Some passes were short or off target, but he almost always had a big d lineman about to level him. That type of pounding is not sustainable.

Last edited: