Waynesville vs Summit Round 2

Summit brings loads of private school high level club talent across every position on the field. Waynesville brings almost unarguably the best player in the state and a good supporting cast. That's a very interesting matchup. Summit will focus very heavy on Erabach, so what the rest of Waynesville team does to attack and help her, will be the deciding factor. And if they can find Erbach over the top on the run or with a slotted ball through to feet will dictate their success, she not just a great scorer but the best and most creative passer I have seen since CCDS's Brown. Waynesville cannot get caught playing Erbach with her back to goal when she will undoubtably be man marked or doubled, because Summitt knows they can't beat her straight up. Attacking pressure from both will decide the score. I watched CCDS steal ball after ball from Waynesville in their defensive 3rd from poorly passed short balls over and over. The same thing happened against Madeira. # Poorly passed balls from the defensive 3rd gave possession in immediate attack and Summit is better than CCDS or Madeira. You have to clear or speed dribble out vs Summit, their midfield is very good. If Summit struggles. it's on the outside mid defensively, but they really shine on the outside offensively. Both teams are similar to last years squads roster wise. If Waynesville #20 plays like she did against CCDS and battles and finds the runner with a pass to help create for Erbach or herself Waynesville will have a day! In last years Regional final Waynesville pressed hard from the start and controlled that game whistle to whistle. Try to find Erbach on the move and let her create. Summit will pressure hard and fast trying to take Waynesville out of their own pressure game that is what makes them successful. My best guess Summitt 2-1 in OT.

Won't Erbach and a couple of her teammates have already competed in Columbus, on the same day, in the State Cross Country Championship as well? And, isn't Erbach one of the favorites to win the State Cross Country title for DII?

Won't Erbach and a couple of her teammates have already competed in Columbus, on the same day, in the State Cross Country Championship as well? And, isn't Erbach one of the favorites to win the State Cross Country title for DII?
It happened last year too. That’s why the game was moved from 2 to 7pm. Also to accommodate Summit boys playing today and waynesville boys.

SCD is up 3-0 on Waynesville with 5 minutes to play. After SCD's 2nd and 3rd goal, their entire bench ran up the sideline with many of them running onto the field near the sideline. The CR just watched and did NOTHING. The SCD Coach should've been carded along with EVERY SCD player that came onto the field should also have been carded for unsportsmanlike conduct! There's no place for that type of behavior in a HS soccer game. Very disappointed to see that happen without any recourse!

“Any player, coach or bench personnel shall be cautioned (yellow card) for: any delayed, excessive or prolonged act(s) by which a player(s)
attempts to focus attention upon himself/herself and/or prohibits a timely restart of the game.” The last part definitely happened! Waynesville players had to wait for SCD to finish their celebration before their kickoff. When one considers that many goals happen within five minutes of another goal, one could easily assume/surmise that the scoring team is intentionally celebrating to delay the the kick-off as a means to reduce the likelihood that their opponents could quickly counter the goal that was just scored.

Last edited:
Summit wins 3-1

Here's a point to ponder. Was it wise for half the Waynesville soccer team compete in the state final cross country meet a few hours before playing for the right to go to the final four in soccer? Then a hour and a half ride back from Columbus to play soccer in Bellbrook? Cross country is a draining...grueling event. Would a well rested Spartan team have made a difference? Just doesn't seem prudent to try to be super woman and do both in such a short time span. Thoughts?

Summit wins 3-1

Here's a point to ponder. Was it wise for half the Waynesville soccer team compete in the state final cross country meet a few hours before playing for the right to go to the final four in soccer? Then a hour and a half ride back from Columbus to play soccer in Bellbrook? Cross country is a draining...grueling event. Would a well rested Spartan team have made a difference? Just doesn't seem prudent to try to be super woman and do both in such a short time span. Thoughts?
They did it the last two years.
Maybe OHSAA needs to space out events.
Waynesville is one of the smallest D2 girls school. The boys are D3.

This weekend for Waynesville went like this
Football won to get into final 16 on Friday
Girls ran state track Sat morning
Boys Soccer advanced ti state Saturday afternoon
Girls Soccer lost Regional finals

I spent $50 in OHSAA tickets.

They did it the last two years.
Maybe OHSAA needs to space out events.
Waynesville is one of the smallest D2 girls school. The boys are D3.

This weekend for Waynesville went like this
Football won to get into final 16 on Friday
Girls ran state track Sat morning
Boys Soccer advanced ti state Saturday afternoon
Girls Soccer lost Regional finals

I spent $50 in OHSAA tickets.
Best $50 you'll spend all year, right, Knight27?!

Yes, these Waynesville young women have been extraordinary. I'm not sure about their cross country accomplishments, but D3 state championship in 2021, D2 state runner-up in 2022 and D2 regional finalist in 2023 is simply awesome. Boys current run is also most impressive. This is a rising athletic power.

SCD is up 3-0 on Waynesville with 5 minutes to play. After SCD's 2nd and 3rd goal, their entire bench ran up the sideline with many of them running onto the field near the sideline. The CR just watched and did NOTHING. The SCD Coach should've been carded along with EVERY SCD player that came onto the field should also have been carded for unsportsmanlike conduct! There's no place for that type of behavior in a HS soccer game. Very disappointed to see that happen without any recourse!

“Any player, coach or bench personnel shall be cautioned (yellow card) for: any delayed, excessive or prolonged act(s) by which a player(s)
attempts to focus attention upon himself/herself and/or prohibits a timely restart of the game.” The last part definitely happened! Waynesville players had to wait for SCD to finish their celebration before their kickoff. When one considers that many goals happen within five minutes of another goal, one could easily assume/surmise that the scoring team is intentionally celebrating to delay the the kick-off as a means to reduce the likelihood that their opponents could quickly counter the goal that was just scored.
Really Pundit? Sounds like you’ve never played a competitive sport before….. These girls are allowed to celebrate well-earned goals. The celebrations were appropriate and respectful….also, clearly you were on Waynesville side and could not visibly see the Summit sideline in which both celebrations took place. But the girls on the Summit bench most certainly did not step onto the field, hence why no one was carded….. you are a very bitter, sore loser. Picking on young girls for celebrating and being excited about scoring goals, shame on you.

Flyster...aka new member. Your first mistake is making assumptions when you know nothing about me as I've played competitive sports my whole life. Your second, third, and fourth mistakes are believing I support either school when I do not as I am from Toledo, I watched the game via the NFHS network, and I never mentioned anything about killing the clock being unsportsmanlike as that's a strategy commonly used by teams all over the world. Finally, OHSAA established the excessive celebration rules in 2019 and SCD's celebration after every goal by running down the sidelines to meet up with the field players who ran towards them violates the very essence of the excessive celebration rules. OHSAA Excessive Celebration Rules “Any player, coach or bench personnel shall be cautioned (yellow card) for: any delayed, excessive or prolonged act(s) by which a player(s)
attempts to focus attention upon himself/herself and/or prohibits a timely restart of the game.” Wville players were waiting for SCD to finish their celebration before their kickoff. Those types of celebrations are not allowed in HS Soccer per OHSAA.

Well Waynesville clearly didn’t listen to me. Not that anyone does haha. I said they would
1. man mark and double erbach - Sure enough
2. #20 needed to contribute - She was a non factor.
3. Play balls over the top or slot to Erbach so she can run on. - Never happened
4. Summit is exceptional attacking from the wing. - All 3 goals
5. If Summit struggles it’s on the defensive wings. - #30 should have been called for fouls in the box no less than 4 times. She was absolutely in over her head.
6. Don’t mess with Summit’s midfield. - 90% of summits counters came from midfield turnovers from poor passes.
7. Don’t play small ball in the defensive 3rd. - they did limit this but never put the balls over top Except #18.

I’m rarely wrong on winners and I called this. Summit loaded with high level club players trumps a team with 1 stud even one as exceptional and impactful as Erbach.

I was on the fence talking to a Waynesville parent (not the drunk obnoxious Lilliputian Mickey Ward wanna be that’s a story for another day but another one) and found out they have players that don’t play club and most of the team is from FC Dayton RL or Club Ohio and 2 don’t play club at all. Honestly knowing that I am flabbergasted Waynesville has had the success they had. Neither of those clubs or teams would ever be considered high level club. Summit, CCDS, Milford, Badin, Anderson, MND are stacked with multiple ECNL or GA players. From what I can find Waynesville has just the 2 Erbachs. It was obvious last night. I thought even though they were out scored 2-1 in the second half Waynesville outplayed them. Defensively the lady Spartans just could not keep up in transition with Summit’s speed and that was their downfall all night. Summit didn’t build any goals.

Summit will win State, put that in the books.

Appreciate your commentary on the game EC and whole heartedly agree. Waynesville has done great things with a different talent pool than many schools. Very proud of them.

Summit is an excellent team full of high quality players. Some of the fouls were unfortunate and unnecessary, but that’s the game sometimes and I fully understand that the name of the game last night was to “stop Sam”.

I’d love to hear the “Mickey Ward” story…