URSULINE & MOONEY PROJECTIONS/DISCUSSIONS 2024

Any major roster changes over the off season? From what I remember there are usually some kids that decide to not play after freshman year. Especially at a very competitive school.

Seems that we will be lacking height at QB regardless of who we go with (Ferrel or Duble). Which will be a first for the Irish in a while. I played with Chris Durkin (6'4 c/o 2014) and I don't think we had a QB below 6ft in between then and now

Seems that we will be lacking height at QB regardless of who we go with (Ferrel or Duble). Which will be a first for the Irish in a while. I played with Chris Durkin (6'4 c/o 2014) and I don't think we had a QB below 6ft in between then and now
Duble left to go back to Boardman. Height might be a bit of a concern for DC but athleticism certainly wont. There will be a couple younger QBs in the mix as well.

Any major roster changes over the off season? From what I remember there are usually some kids that decide to not play after freshman year. Especially at a very competitive school.
The freshman seem to be coming back for the most part. There are a couple upperclassmen that have left but im sure there will be some additions as well.

I'm not sure why this arrangement was made this season, but in the past the Irish have willingly played exclusively at the opponents field so as to schedule the game. Poland, Massillon & Zanesville come to mind.

Ursuline had a run where they played Harding in Warren for a few years. It was surprising because growing up, they rotated every year.

2023 was the first Harding-Ursuline game at Stambaugh in a while.

Just out of curiosity do many kids leave Ursuline and transfer to Mooney or vice versa? I’m guessing that rivalry as intense as any in Ohio.

Just out of curiosity do many kids leave Ursuline and transfer to Mooney or vice versa? I’m guessing that rivalry as intense as any in Ohio.
It happened a few times while I was at Ursuline. It definitely has to do with the rivalry and who is playing well, but I think it mostly depends on what feeder school you went to. I went to St Christine and that was pretty split, but there are a few schools that directly feed to UHS or mooney. Kids typically go with the majority to stay with people they know for highschool. It also has to do with play time, we had a few leave because they were told they’d get more playing time at the other school. (Those kids are mostly the ones that weren’t involved with the rivalry beforehand)

The great part is that even if you didn’t know what Mooney or Ursuline was before you went there, it’s easy to buy into the rivalry. Really fun environment.

Got my UHS alum mailer this week with the give request for the Arts/Wellness Center. Really feels like if they hit that target it's maybe the lever they really need to move towards consolidation. That's the view from very far away. Wondering if folks closer to the sitch feel the same (mailer also bragged about how the endowment is one of the largest in Ohio). Allowing that I've got a strong partisan interest, I still argue that consolidation to Wick Ave is the best thing for the schools and the area - assuming that's an immediate elevation to DII/I and the end of tedious convos about public/private. I don't know that football is the best mechanism for providing opportunities for kids at this point, but it's also not nothing. So giving the players the best platform is the way to go, and one powerhouse from the Valley feels like the best way to go.

Got my UHS alum mailer this week with the give request for the Arts/Wellness Center. Really feels like if they hit that target it's maybe the lever they really need to move towards consolidation. That's the view from very far away. Wondering if folks closer to the sitch feel the same (mailer also bragged about how the endowment is one of the largest in Ohio). Allowing that I've got a strong partisan interest, I still argue that consolidation to Wick Ave is the best thing for the schools and the area - assuming that's an immediate elevation to DII/I and the end of tedious convos about public/private. I don't know that football is the best mechanism for providing opportunities for kids at this point, but it's also not nothing. So giving the players the best platform is the way to go, and one powerhouse from the Valley feels like the best way to go.
A D2/D1 catholic power house for all athletics would be nice to have in the area. Would really like to be competitive with the Cleveland , Columbus and Cincinnati D1 schools. ( those schools also need more local schools that can compete and would be willing to play them)

Next door to the expressway, the Wick Ave site is ideal, plus YSU is literally in its backyard. Alumni will bulk but students will roll with it. I've seen it with my connections to Cincinnati Purcell Marian & Dayton Chaminade Julienne. Granted these were combinations of previous single gender schools, but they had outstanding traditions and identities like Ursuline & Mooney. On top of that, neither Cincinnati nor Dayton were economically struggling like Youngstown. Still it worked. Of course there will be hiccups and bumps along the way. CJ is celebrating 50 years since the merger. It would be nice if the Diocese got behind the new resource building on Bryson with the eventual goal of a merger.

Another year of two stubborn, dying parochials refusing to merge bc some old libs can't get with the times. Sad to watch. How the mighty have fallen!

Another year of two stubborn, dying parochials refusing to merge bc some old libs can't get with the times. Sad to watch. How the mighty have fallen!
Fun fact, this is the second year in a row that "dying" Ursuline has maxed out its capacity for the incoming freshman class. Four straight years of growth in fact......it sure is sad to see them dwindling away.

Fun fact, this is the second year in a row that "dying" Ursuline has maxed out its capacity for the incoming freshman class. Four straight years of growth in fact......it sure is sad to see them dwindling away.
Ursulines success in football is helping with the enrollment. Mooney on the other hand seems to struggling with success on the field and enrollment. Playing at Mineral ridge was embarrassing . The 2 probably should have combined a few years ago. Either that or Mooney should have left the war zone of the south side and moved to outer burbs like the one plan brought up a few years ago.

So they will probably be around 520 students. I remember Ursuline stating that they could absorb mooney, but I don’t see the room to gain another 200-300 people. Might have to build another academic building if they were to merge.

Any indication on how big the incoming freshmen football class is?