Ugliness Following Walsh-Strongsville Game

Hate to see this crap happen, especially since it’s become more normalized.

Walsh deserves recognition for their statement condemning it. It would end up ringing hollow if they don’t follow through with assessing penalties/non-renewals of those who can be held culpable, but in today’s world it is far easier for schools to just evade responsibility and refuse to own bad behavior by their representatives in any arena.

Funny that Ohio Sports Net 1 posted the video, dude started jawing with the refs himself from the sideline of the Hoban v Avon playoff game last year after a call didn't go Avon's way.

Funny that Ohio Sports Net 1 posted the video, dude started jawing with the refs himself from the sideline of the Hoban v Avon playoff game last year after a call didn't go Avon's way.

Kyle is an instigator of a lot of stuff. He does great content, but I do think he inserts himself into situations he should stay out of a lot of time.

no excuses for the coaches and parents behavior - but based on the video above, i do think the ref blew the call. looked to me that the goalie was trying to make a play on the ball and the players got tangled up (maybe a little bit of a flop by the strongville player). also, for some reason the ref removed the goalie (or someone did.) original goalie was #1 replacement was #12. also, it looks like the player to the right of the ref as he is running in (strongville #0) thinks the call is against strongville. watch how she raises her hand and her body language.

no excuses for the coaches and parents behavior - but based on the video above, i do think the ref blew the call. looked to me that the goalie was trying to make a play on the ball and the players got tangled up (maybe a little bit of a flop by the strongville player). also, for some reason the ref removed the goalie (or someone did.) original goalie was #1 replacement was #12. also, it looks like the player to the right of the ref as he is running in (strongville #0) thinks the call is against strongville. watch how she raises her hand and her body language.
Ref got it right. He was in perfect position and the goalie made a bad decision and committed the foul. Yellow card was correct, which is why the goalie was subbed out. She must sit out until the next subbing opportunity. This is a rule for HS soccer in Ohio.

You clearly no nothing about Ohio high school soccer if you question why the different goalie. And if you don't know simple, Ohio high school soccer rules, then I also believe that your knowledge of soccer is very lacking... Personally, giving the penalty is correct but the yellow card I think should go to the defender who knocks over the Strongsville player without any contact with the ball. Outside the PA, that foul is given 100% of the time, but inside the PA, the rules are different?

This matter has been thoroughly discussed (see two other threads below) and it's time to move on. To summarize, 100% of the posters agree that the CFWJ Coach and a few of the CFWJ parents were wrong to come onto the field after the game and go after the center referee. OHSAA should make an example of them and punish them accordingly to reduce the chances of something like this from happening again. A majority of the posters on here agree with the call by the center referee. While there are some that disagree on the foul, or who committed the foul, or who should've been carded, the majority agree that there was a major foul in the penalty box warranting a PK. Now it's time to move on and enjoy the state finals tomorrow. Good luck to everyone playing in the state finals!!

Last edited:
You clearly no nothing about Ohio high school soccer if you question why the different goalie. And if you don't know simple, Ohio high school soccer rules, then I also believe that your knowledge of soccer is very lacking... Personally, giving the penalty is correct but the yellow card I think should go to the defender who knocks over the Strongsville player without any contact with the ball. Outside the PA, that foul is given 100% of the time, but inside the PA, the rules are different?
My comment about removing the goalie has nothing to do with knowing the rules or not. In my opinion the goalie did nothing wrong , so she should not have been removed. What foul did the goalie commit ? She was going for the ball. Her job is to stop the shot. Why wasn't the Strongville girl penalized for running into the goalie ? As I stated, in my opinion, the ref blew it.

My comment about removing the goalie has nothing to do with knowing the rules or not. In my opinion the goalie did nothing wrong , so she should not have been removed. What foul did the goalie commit ? She was going for the ball. Her job is to stop the shot. Why wasn't the Strongville girl penalized for running into the goalie ? As I stated, in my opinion, the ref blew it.
Going for the ball doesn’t preclude a keeper from being guilty of a foul. She got a piece of the ball but still took down the attacker, who would have likely scored had she not been taken down.

Going for the ball doesn’t preclude a keeper from being guilty of a foul. She got a piece of the ball but still took down the attacker, who would have likely scored had she not been taken down.
Or did the attacker run into the goalie ? ta daaaa !

Attachments

• F53C05CB-E99C-486A-9F19-AC52166FD055.jpeg
    F53C05CB-E99C-486A-9F19-AC52166FD055.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 77
The new head coach of Walsh is Javier Iriat. He was the former head coach of Kettering Alter until he took a job in the Cleveland area and moved. He's a lot like the former Walsh Coach Dino Mcintyre so, I wasn't to surprised by his actions. They are both very intelligent coaches, they both know they are smart coaches, and they will make sure everyone else knows it too including the referees.

Last edited:
The new head coach of Walsh is Javier Iriat. He was the former head coach of Kettering Alter until he took a job in the Cleveland area and moved. He's a lot like the former Walsh Coach Dino Mcintyre so, I wasn't to surprised by his actions. They are both very intelligent coaches, they both know there are smart coaches, and they will make sure everyone else knows it too including the referees.
I know McIntyre was longtime coach. Is he the one who was involved in the recruiting and fired?

This is actually a great video for referee training and I am a US Soccer Official, but am not certified thru OHSAA. I had to watch it multiple times to break it down myself. It appears the goalie comes out and is going for the ball however, at the end you can see her extend her arms into the upper thoracic region of the forward, the forward makes no initiation of contact with the goalie or the fullback. You could also call a foul on the full back, because watch her arms clearly extend into the back of the forward while the goalie is also making contact. Both of which could be yellow cards and a PK. The Ref just called it on the goalie because he was watching the contact between the goalie and the forward, which is what I would’ve been watching as well. Those contact plays are my least favorite to watch due to the potential of injury. I’ll also put money that the dude that came on the field was the goalies dad. I had a situation similar to that where the goalie came out as well And took out the forward. I was the AR on a small 9v9 field. The forward scored the goal but the goalie took out the player and wasn’t even watching the ball As I could see him initiating contact And looking directly at the player again with extended arms into the forward. Goal was scored, yellow given. Dad goes crazy stating that he is entitled to that space. They are entitled to that space but not allowed to blowup another player in the process. Just some thoughts. We need more refs. My kids are now older and I enjoy giving back, getting exercise, earning some cash and making new friends…..lol. Come join the darkside…..

The parent could be charged with criminal trespass for going onto the field and also be banned from future games

It’s kind of interesting how some of the worst behaving parents are in girls soccer where you may have 1 tough guy on each side…….Then you have wrestling the most physical sport in OHSAA and you typically don’t see those types of antics. Probably because you got about 350 dudes in the stands all looking to put a beat down on somebody who steps out of line and have some fun…..keeps everyone in check…..lol

It’s kind of interesting how some of the worst behaving parents are in girls soccer where you may have 1 tough guy on each side…….Then you have wrestling the most physical sport in OHSAA and you typically don’t see those types of antics. Probably because you got about 350 dudes in the stands all looking to put a beat down on somebody who steps out of line and have some fun…..keeps everyone in check…..lol
HS soccer might be the worst when it comes to boorish behavior in the stands. To be honest I really cannot watch it as those field turf surfaces make for a fast game and many of the players cannot keep up with the ball so you see a lot of dumb hard fouls from players out of position; takes the game out of a rhythm and raises the ire of those who think the calls are not going their way. Also the ball seems to bounce higher which leads to many fouls with cleats up or head to head type stuff and the refs feel like they should call it all but eventually they miss one and that gets one side fired up.

Having spoken to the Referee personally.......and knowing that "The First Foul" renders a play 'dead'.......you are in fact incorrect in your assessment. To wit: the initial foul WAS by the Keeper, contacting the attacker below the waist with her legs, BEFORE playing the ball. And thus, since 'play is dead' because of THAT foul, there was no foul by the defender for pushing that attacker, etc. And "going for the ball" does NOT absolve ANY player, Keeper or otherwise, from committing an illegal act......IOW.......you do NOT in fact know the HS Rules.

Last edited:
Yes...that's him. Lost all respect for him as a coach once it was discovered that he was breaking the recruiting rules. Just another reason why private schools should have their own division in all sports similar to other states.
It's not only private schools that break rules,. The inference of your statement implies public schools do not recruit which is just not true. Their are only a handful of states that have separate championships for private and public. The rest either have no restrictions or a form of the Ohio Competitive Balance system

Soccer needs to adopt baseball rules. You yell at the ref, you might be warned or you might be thrown out.

All the yelling at the refs for MEANINGLESS games is unacceptable.