Tush Push

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Apparently, Roger Goodell wants to get rid of the "Tush Push". Do you agree or disagree?

Disagree. The NFL wants to ban a play, based off injuries or potential injuries, yet they have all these complaints about the turf fields, specifically Metlife Stadium and they also play games on Thursdays. Convenient to call for player safety with the tush push because most teams hate it and can't stop it, but God forbid you mention player safety regarding turf fields and TNF.

While we're at it, the hip drop tackle doesn't need to be banned either.

Saw this in an article:
“It amounts to a rugby scrum,” Blandino said. “The NFL wants to showcase the athleticism and skill of our athletes. This is just not a skillful play. This is just a tactic that is not an aesthetically pleasing play, and I think the competition committee is going to take a look at it.’’
What is interesting is that I've been around some casual football fans for a few games this season. The most excited I've seen these people who don't usually watch that much NFL, was during a scrum type of play. It was a couple/few of weeks ago when the back was running the ball and was held up only to have the linemen come from behind and push the pile forward for about 10 yards and got them a first down.

It IS an exciting play and it IS aesthetically pleasing. It is also a throwback to how the game was originally played.

The most telling point is that it shows that the NFL administration is more worried about putting on a "show" of what they think is "skillful" and not what the fans necessarily want.

I also highly question their opinion that it is a dangerous play. If they lined up and ran scrum plays every play, the number of injuries in the league would go down. The biggest chances for injuries are the high speed collisions.

Didn't it used to be illegal for players to assist a teammate by pushing them forward? I could swear that was a penalty years ago.

I agree that the dangerousness of the play is not the real reason why the NFL wants it banned. But that being said, I've seen that play does recently where linebackers and DBs launched themselves into the pile in a dangerous way, so I can see how that can be somewhat true.

Disagree. The NFL wants to ban a play, based off injuries or potential injuries, yet they have all these complaints about the turf fields, specifically Metlife Stadium and they also play games on Thursdays. Convenient to call for player safety with the tush push because most teams hate it and can't stop it, but God forbid you mention player safety regarding turf fields and TNF.

While we're at it, the hip drop tackle doesn't need to be banned either.
TNF leads too many more injuries than pushing a QB fwd, Waist drop or slide down tackle is how youngsters are taught to tackle.

The NFL and football in general will not exist in the physical nature that we all know and love for much long. Soon, we will be watching flag football. Whether right or wrong, it will be done in the name of player safety and eventually be more like a basketball style game with some sort of blocking involved. As long as they market it, people will watch.

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm all for the brotherly shove. I personally think the way to bring injuries down is to allow more physicality at the line of scrimmage, especially on the outside. Allow hand checking down field and make it harder for full speed collisions. Tighten the game back up. I imagine that would also bring down the number of gruesome knee and lower leg injuries that we see as DB's wouldn't come flying in to take out knees.

I honestly watch a lot less college and pro football these days as I miss the physicality of the old game. That, paired with the amount of turf rather than natural grass really took away from the enjoyment of the game for me. I want to see defensive struggles in the elements. Something about about mud and grass stains just makes the game look tough.

The NFL and football in general will not exist in the physical nature that we all know and love for much long. Soon, we will be watching flag football. Whether right or wrong, it will be done in the name of player safety and eventually be more like a basketball style game with some sort of blocking involved. As long as they market it, people will watch.

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm all for the brotherly shove. I personally think the way to bring injuries down is to allow more physicality at the line of scrimmage, especially on the outside. Allow hand checking down field and make it harder for full speed collisions. Tighten the game back up. I imagine that would also bring down the number of gruesome knee and lower leg injuries that we see as DB's wouldn't come flying in to take out knees.

I honestly watch a lot less college and pro football these days as I miss the physicality of the old game. That, paired with the amount of turf rather than natural grass really took away from the enjoyment of the game for me. I want to see defensive struggles in the elements. Something about about mud and grass stains just makes the game look tough.

I understand and kinda agree with what you mostly said but football has been evolving & changing since it began.
* No helmets to leather helmets
* Two way players who never came off the field to 1st down, 3rd down, 3rd & short to 3rd & long personnel packages on both offense & defense
* Conditioning - it use to be forbidden to spring water and even take salt tablets…..that was pretty stupid. Conditioning by NFL players is almost 2nd to none
* Use to be able to pick up & body slam the qb until the quarterbacks became the big $$$ players and the ones who move the tv needle
* Rules change on a yearly basis - no one knows exactly what a catch is anymore.

Yes the game is moving closer & closer to a glorified 7on7 but scoring & qb play is what brings in eyeballs to watch and it’s what gambling/Fantasy Football love.

What I believe could ultimately hurt viewership & fanfare of football is the number of kids playing at the high school level. The more that play are more likely fall in love with the game. This is what makes Ohio HS football great with the 700+ schools who field a team on Friday night. I do like your idea of more hands on physicality on the outside but that would hurt the passing game & scoring #’s.

You say you love defensive struggles outside in the elements on grass…….I guess you can’t wait to watch the New England @ Pittsburgh game tonight!!!!!!

You say you love defensive struggles outside in the elements on grass…….I guess you can’t wait to watch the New England @ Pittsburgh game tonight!!!!!!
I didn’t say I loved terrible offenses who struggle to move the ball during walkthrough. There is a difference 🤣

I understand why it’s happening in the sense that they think it makes the game more exciting. Sure. I also think the way it is marketed now plays a big part in the popularity of the game. With social media, you can essentially have personal access to everything going on. I don’t think it’s rigged, but they for sure create story lines right out of big time wrestling with some of these players and their personas.

I understand and kinda agree with what you mostly said but football has been evolving & changing since it began.
* No helmets to leather helmets
* Two way players who never came off the field to 1st down, 3rd down, 3rd & short to 3rd & long personnel packages on both offense & defense
* Conditioning - it use to be forbidden to spring water and even take salt tablets…..that was pretty stupid. Conditioning by NFL players is almost 2nd to none
* Use to be able to pick up & body slam the qb until the quarterbacks became the big $$$ players and the ones who move the tv needle
* Rules change on a yearly basis - no one knows exactly what a catch is anymore.

Yes the game is moving closer & closer to a glorified 7on7 but scoring & qb play is what brings in eyeballs to watch and it’s what gambling/Fantasy Football love.

What I believe could ultimately hurt viewership & fanfare of football is the number of kids playing at the high school level. The more that play are more likely fall in love with the game. This is what makes Ohio HS football great with the 700+ schools who field a team on Friday night. I do like your idea of more hands on physicality on the outside but that would hurt the passing game & scoring #’s.

Agree with most of what you posted except the highlighted, most of us my age when we were young all we drank was water, and i knew a kid who took salt tablets.

I don’t like it … my am just old school and remember when it was illegal … never got called because no one really did it blatantly …. well, maybe the ”Bush push” … and I liked that (not blatantly) … I have seen several times this years where the RB is tackled in a pile and OL comes up and pushes the pile 5 to 7 yards more … game is going to start looking more like rugby than football.

Sneak-_OP_2_CP__1481830887003_29212567_ver1.0-1140x570.jpg

The famous photo of the winning score of the 1967 NFL Championship Game. See #30? His hands up like he's signaling touchdown? Nah, it was because back then it was illegal to aid the running, so he threw his hands up to make sure the officials didn't think he was helping to push the runner into the endzone.

Yeah. I remember when that was against the rules. And it should still be against the rules. Why it was changed, I don't know.