Tough year in Football...Again

jff

When will the Eagles bring to the field an entire team?All individuals that are above average athletes that just don't jell.Whats up with that?:confused:

It starts at the top. It is obvious that a change needs to be made with the direction of this program. This is a good time to make a change with the new school and proposed new stadium. I dont know how the can justify not making a change. If they dont, that sends a message to the entire community that there is no commitment to winning and anything even close to mediocrity is acceptable. Year in and year out there are a ton of athletes on the field and nothing changes. How many players are playing DI from this school right now, 8? And 6 of them are in the Big 10 with 2 of them contributing on the number one team in the country. I cannot believe that the current coach wouldn't realize that and step down. He has lost virtually his entire staff which shows you that something must be wrong. If he doesn't have the courage to fix it himself, someone has to do it for him.

Coach Rose won't step down so it would be up to the board to ask him to leave, but I fear that they won't. The school board is demanding more money and they want the community to pass issue 23. The thing is, people won't want to give money to a school that doesn't have a winning record and people would want a winning football record. GlenOak has many talented athletes but not the proper direction. With so many losses in a row, is it time for Rose to go? I say yes but I want to know what everyone else thinks.

We must all remember that this team was not supposed to really contend this season. After losing Mike Hartline and a ton of seniors from last year's team, this year's team had a lot of growing up to do. I predicted us to win five games this season, and we could've, if not for some late-game turnovers. We were in almost every game, and played really tough against the likes of McKinley (only down 7-3 at half) and Perry (lost 24-20).

Plusses-
-The QB...Justin Szink replaced Mike Hartline this season and did a good job. He showed the ability to break off big gains running the ball, and even made some big plays with his passing. He didn't get the chance to pass the ball very often, which sometimes led to poor/indecisive decisions that turned to turnovers, but for a first-year starter you couldn't have expected much more.
-The RB...Anthony Smith started for Kevin Pratt in the first game, due to a nagging injurt Pratt was nursing, and never looked back. He was a beast this season, always fighting for the extra yard or two and showed a great combination of speed and strength. Look for an even better year next season.
-The work ethic...Though this team was young and relatively inexperienced, the players never quit. They played hard each game and gave it their all, fighting all the way down to the final drives, and even the final second against Jackson, of each game. Got to love the fight the team put up in every game.

Minuses-
-Tackling...The defense was shaky, at best, in some games this season, and while they improved, they sometimes seemed to not want to hit the opposing player and just push them down. The third play of the season Hudson's running back went untouched for a 20 yard TD run after running right into a baracade at the line of scrimmage. Poor tackling leds to big plays for the opposing teams this season.
-Inconsistency...Both on offense and defense, but especially the offense. Against Jackson we had over 300 yards rushing. But the next week we had less than 100 yards total. A more consistent game would've possibly helped us pull out some of those close games we lost.

When it comes to Coach Rose, I believe he will not be let go this season, but if he does not improve next season (as in win at least 6 games and contend for a playoff spot), he will be gone. He's a good man and this year's team didn't have the expectations like more recent teams, but next year may be his last at GlenOak if not much improvement is shown.

GOGE said:
When it comes to Coach Rose, I believe he will not be let go this season, but if he does not improve next season (as in win at least 6 games and contend for a playoff spot), he will be gone. He's a good man and this year's team didn't have the expectations like more recent teams, but next year may be his last at GlenOak if not much improvement is shown.

I agree but the thing that sticks with me is that for eight season now I have watched every football game and out of that time GlenOak has only had one slightly successful team, but yes that was with the other Hartline.

But a good coach can make anything out of a player and I don't think that it is completely fair to blame the kids for the season. The players change every year but Rose is always there and logically, if a team is failing each year then maybe its time to stop blaming the kids and look else where for what the problem is. There were a lot of teams that weren't supposed to be very good and still they did better than GlenOak, one is the Federal League champion.

Rose may be a very charismatic person but in football we need more.

G.O.EagleFighter said:
There were a lot of teams that weren't supposed to be very good and still they did better than GlenOak, one is the Federal League champion.
McKinley (the league champ) wasn't supposed to be very good? Or are you talking about Perry, who finished second to McKinley?:shrug:

No one was sure on how McKinley would do this year. Everyone knew #23 would be great but no one seemed to know how the rest of the team would do. I never heard anything about Perry. A few people seemed to believe that Jackson and Hoover would lead the Federal League but it seems that they were wrong ;)

Well if you want to be technical EagleFighter, McKinley WAS picked to win the league in the preseason coaches vote.:) But Perry definitely came out of nowhere. Hopefully Coach Rose and the team can have a season like Perry had next year, or else Rose won't be the coach the following season.

It's nice to see that you are still optimistic about Rose' future. Hopefully it will play into what is best for GlenOak. If anything, we can only say it will get better.

My take on the season is this.....

Offensively.. a big improvement from the past year..last year we tried to run the spread offense with a qb but no athletes to catch the ball...GOE talks about the talent..yes hartline was a decnt qb but who did he have to throw the ball to....nobody!!!!...the other player that went D! was a lineman who does not catch or run the ball...If you can block it doesn't say the back won't go the wrong way or hit the wrong hole....Coach Rose did make his OC scrap that Offense for a more conventional offense and it did seem to work with the exception of 2nd half McKinley, hoover and the mud bowl in Boardman..

Defensively....I thought the front seven was as physical as any team they had for a while and thats( not as physical as the '04 team but close) their problem was in the secondary...if any team could throw the ball the Eagles were in trouble..this is where they missed Coach Christiansen because he would have had the secondary ready to play and ready to TACKLE!!!!

Special teams were marginal but not bad at times...

As a whole I thought they were better because they were in more games this year then last

One problem is the assistant coaches...with no teaching spots open, due to staff cuts, Rose can't hire the guys he wants/needs as assistants.
Unless the levy passes, I don't see that changing.

Does anyone have the schedule for next football season? I know polar_purple found Jackson's for next year somehow, and some people from Green found theirs. I looked at their schedule and it looks like we will play Green in week one. Anyone know how to find GlenOak's schedule?:help:

I am a Glenoak alumni, Glenoaks team this year should of been 8-2, 7-3, at worst, Glenoak should never go any worst than 7-3. we had 3 starting lineman back this year our line averaged 265 lbs was one of the best lines in the county. I believe we had a 1000 yard rusher in anthony smith, but only won 3 games. why has it taken our offensive cordinator all these years to finaly run the offense we ran this year. just think if we ran this offense 3 years ago what we would of done , it's crazy, We keep our offensive cordinator and lose Mike Christensen as defensive cordinator, come on what a joke, we were so simple this year, it was sickning watching us. we couldn't contain the edges at all. nor did we try to make any adjustments. I'm tired like many other alumni, parents, and fans of seeing the same thing over and over.
If we go any worse than 7-3 and don't make the play offs there needs to be a major evaluation on every coach. to many athletes not to be sucessfull year in and year out.. I'm tired of excuses, I want a coach with that Bob cummings attitude. toughness, fight,and never quit. Scott Garcia where you at. He played for the late Bob Cummings and should be the next head coach at glenoak HS...

Woah Ernie, I don't mean to sound too forceful, but you thought the team should've gone 7-3 this season? I also am a GlenOak alumni, and have been following GO football ever since I can remember, and I didn't see this year's team being up there at the 7-3, 8-2 mark. I don't think we had the talent like we had on the 2004 and 2000 teams that had very successful seasons. I'm not putting down the team members that played this year, nor am I questioning their effort because they gave 110% on every play this year, but we had a young team this year and had a big coaching shake-up with a new offense put in before the season, so this was more of a rebuilding season than anything. Now next year we definitely should contend for the playoffs, but I'm not surprised we didn't contend too much this season.

Hudson we out gained in yardage, should of won. Fitch we out gained in yardage and had the ball in side the 20 3 times in the 1st quarter and only came up with 3 points we should of won. Jackson we racked up over 450 yards offense, our defense to simple without Mike Christensen, should of won.
Boardman we had our chances could of one by then the team packed it in.
Look at moments when we moved the ball against mckinley and look how Anthony Smith racked up yardage against perry. Look how we dominated lake
who wasn't a bad football team. beleive me with the rite coaching this was a 7-3 football team. our special teams are awfull, we havn't been able to kick a field goal for the last 2 years, we can't even kick an onside kick. It's a joke. Now you got me on a role,there needs to be major changes, and done very quickly....................Why have we only beaten Hoover 1 time in 8 years, and our offense can't score on them...

Ernie it seems like you have all of the answers.....but I'm with GOGE...this team was picked last in the league this year...LAST.... and where did they finished...LAST!!! Did they have opportunities to win a few more games ...yes they did...Hudson, Jackson and maybe Fitch....The Boardman game was played in a mud bath so field position was the winner here and if you recalled the eagles didn't have any...The defense was not as bad as you say they were...the front seven were pretty good ..now the secondary is another story but who threw on us besides Hoover....NOBODY!!!! the defense played pretty well all year giving the offense alot of opportunities to produce points...and you made that accessment by saying the offense had the ball 3 times inside the 20 vs Fitch.....so you make my point...Christensen is gone..and if you remember his last defense gave up big numbers ...so their goes that theory!!!..Special teams..OK...they were glaring at least..but it was primary the KO team....the punt team and punt return and KO return were fine...

bluepride171 said:
...this team was picked last in the league this year...LAST.... and where did they finished...LAST!!! ...
That is just it. Why were we picked last? Does Hoover or Lake ever get picked last? Is it because they NEVER have down years? No. It is because of their coaches. When they have talent they are favored to contend for the league and we they dont have as much talent they are picked to be competitive. That is the respect that Hertler and Durbin have earned. Have they had bad years? Yes. But they turn it around pretty quick. What Thomas and Rose have done at Glenoak is a complete joke. Fifteen years of trash and embarassment. There is no way anyone can tell me that Lake, Hoover, Perry and Jackson have more talent year in and year out than Glenoak. I am sure there are more players playing major college football from Glenoak than any other school in their league. They may have more than the other teams combined. For that matter, throw in Massillon and Mckinley. They dont have as many big time players at the next level. Should they have been 8-2 or 7-3 this year? Probably not but a good coach would have either been there or darn close. Hopefully their new administration has a new outlook on football and does something with that program. But now we will have the Pay to Play excuse as to why you cant win at Glenoak. It will always be something until they get guy that comes in rolls up his sleeves and gets it done. If Rose was a man, he would step down and admit his failure instead of just collecting his paycheck. It is unfair to the kids who are out there playing. The combined record of these two clowns is 69-82 over the last 15 years. That is horrible.

Alright then Champion...then as GO supporter...do something about it...help pass a levy...give your time to help the kids of GO succeed...help build something the kids can be proud of..like a stadium...44th street was a joke way back when ..and going to Fawcett is a bigger joke......there is no school spirt because kids go the separate ways after school.....do something to generate school spirt....And i know there were some coaching jobs open this year in the fall...apply for a job so you can help GO get over the hump....help toughen up our kids....When Cummings was here, people said he was too tough on our kids....so he was pushed out....We as GO supporters must make up our mind.....who do we want to coach our kids....someone to push them or to babysit them....

bluepride171 said:
Alright then Champion...then as GO supporter...do something about it...help pass a levy...give your time to help the kids of GO succeed...help build something the kids can be proud of..like a stadium...44th street was a joke way back when ..and going to Fawcett is a bigger joke......there is no school spirt because kids go the separate ways after school.....do something to generate school spirt
Believe me, I am doing my part.

bluepride171 said:
....When Cummings was here, people said he was too tough on our kids....so he was pushed out....We as GO supporters must make up our mind.....who do we want to coach our kids....someone to push them or to babysit them....
Do you need me to answer that question? Babysit and be a consistent loser or push them and be winner. Commings finished 1st or 2nd in the league half of the seasons he was here.

The thing that always angered me most with GlenOak is how they preach to the students and to the parents about how they need to vote for the levy. The phrase "preaching to the choir" jumps to mind. Yes, GlenOak was not favored to win this year but that isn't as upsetting as the fact that people have come to expect failure from GlenOak football. And what is even more upsetting is how GlenOak fans are more than willing to except this fact. The players of the team deserve more, the fans deserve more and the school deserves more. It is time for a change. I am a 2003 graduate and proud former member of the band which means that for four years I watched every GlenOak game. My fellow alumni members know that you were not there for the fans or anyone else, you were there for the team. So why is it now that we have stopped thinking about what is best for the team? It is time to raise the standards. I do not want to lead any question or raise a false argument but I have to wonder, if GlenOak had a winning team then passing a levy would not be such a problem. And there would be more money to build a stadium that everyone could be proud of.

blue pide, 2 years ago hoover was picked to be one of the last teams in the league, they finished 7-3 and made the playoffs, this year perry was never picked to be one of the better teams in the league and they finshed 9-1, we never seem to over achieve let alone ever hardley achieve. you say our front 7 did well this year ,where were they against mckinley, hoover, jackson, and perry. we couldn't contain anyone this year, nor did we make any adjustments to try to contain. you have your nose guard 2 yards off the ball agianst perry in a 3 point stance. give me a break, what a joke....Our Deffense was so soft it looked at times that we were pillow fighting instead of playing football. No Attitude...... Bob cummings past away he wasn't forced out, I't was eagles pride forced out..There needs to be some changes... You say our special teams were ok, did we return any kicks back for a touchdown i don't think so. ok does't cut it anymore.....

G.O.EagleFighter said:
The thing that always angered me most with GlenOak is how they preach to the students and to the parents about how they need to vote for the levy. The phrase "preaching to the choir" jumps to mind.
The two options to get a levy to pass are:1)Convert no votes to yes votes or 2)Get people who dont vote to go vote yes. There are many people who dont vote and a lot of them have children in school. While they are preaching to the choir, the choir needs to start singing to get this done.

I agree with you 100% that a strong football team would help drum up support for the entire community and help get the levy passed but that has nothing to do with the stadium. That money is going to have to be raised some other way than through taxes.

The problem with Plain Local is that around 60% of our residents are people who don't have children in the school system anymore. And because we have an overwhelming majority of those people we're not going to be able to pass a levy until we have to do something drastic (take away all busing, etc.) in order for it to pass, because most of those people will vote 'no' because they don't feel like they should put any more of their money into the school system. A competitive football team would certainly help. Back in 2004 when we last made the playoffs I remember going to the high school before our playoff games (since I was in the band) and seeing lots of Plain residents in the parking lot with signs plastered on their cars supporting the team. We need to get that sense of pride back to where it was in 2004, but if we continue to underachieve every year, it's not going to happen. And lots of people will just look at the record of the team and go 'Well we were bad this year, just like every other year' and not bother to go to games and see how hard the team plays, or realize that this year was supposed to be a down year for the team.

Earnie the Eagle....that nose guard played probably his best game of the season...almost 10 solo tackles...when playing against a wing-T offense you want your linemen back off of the line...but being a football guy you know this...returing KO offs back doesn't justify your special teams of being good or bad....If your KO team gets by the 20 ydline you won that battle....nobody returned a punt against them with the exception of McKinley.not a td but across the 50......as far as the teams you mentioned our defense didn't stop...Who in the league did stop Mckinley's offense this year....McKinley torched Brunswick for 45 points this weekend....Morgan Williams had almost 300 yds and 5 td's...GO held him to a little over 100 and 1 TD.....Hoover threw the ball.(which is the area that our D struggled) ....Jackson...you might have me there because neither team could stop each other but Frank( who was injured ) didn't play ....Perry , on two occasion the D was given short field to work with on a two crucial fumbles ...one where the D gave up only 3 points on a goalline stance agaisn't PERRY!!!!....As far as the Commings comment....he was on his way out because people didn't like his oldtime coaching methods...which I can't believe because he was a winner...

But why punish the students? Punishing the students is not going to get people to change their minds. I understand what you are saying GOGE, but GlenOak needs to understand that solutions like taking away the buses does not directly affect the majority of the voting population now or in the near future. It is very easy to get mad at the people who do not vote for the levy but maybe we should try putting ourselves in their place. Property taxes will increase beginning January 1st, 2007 to pay for the new high school, and if the new levy would have passed that would mean that taxes would increase again the following tax year. Property taxes are not the way to pay for schools and I understand that this is the state's fault. I understand that the school has no other way to fund their system. But these are the kinds of issues that need to be addressed because tax payers are being used to pay for everything and this cannot go on much longer. I have thought about buying a home in Plain Township but the though of having a mortgage and increasing property taxes makes me almost sick. If I wanted to pay high property taxes I would live in Jackson Township. Attacking people for not voting will not get them to change their minds and these are the same methods that Plain Local used to get people to vote for the new school levy a few years ago, (and look how long that took). GlenOak needs to rethink their political tactics.

I hear you EagleFighter, and I don't think at all that Plain should punish the students for the levy not passing, but my thinking is that the administration thinks that if they take enough things away from the students, like busing and extracurricular activities, that it will sway enough voters who actually have kids in the school system to vote for the levy, and that number will be bigger than the number of people who don't have kids in the school system that vote 'no' for the levy. I'm not saying it's what should happen, but it seems like that is what is taking place.

Exactly, and really what Plain Local is doing is hurting their own system. They are making things worse and then complaining to tax payers to bail them out. Which is why I believe that Plain needs to rethink their political tactics.

There are no "political tactics". They are a reality. You have a budget to operate within. If you dont have enough money for busing you cut it. If you dont have enough money for teachers you cut them. If you dont have enough money for extra curricular activities you cut them. It is not a threat or tactic, it is a reality. However, the people of Plain are not alone. Look at how many levies have failed. The state has cut back funding causing the schools to go to the taxpayers and the taxpayers are tired of it. I agree it is ridiculous how we fund schools but it is the system we all have to live with. So we can pass levy's and have good schools or we build more jails and prisons to put our uneducated children in while our property values continue to fall. You can come up with a million reasons to vote no for the levy's but all of them together do not outweight the one reason to vote yes. We MUST educate our children.

bluepride171 you are some what educated on the game. that nose guard that played 2 yards off the ball will be a big time player in the future, i thought he had a great year for a sopmore. but I still dont agree with him being 2 yards off the ball and I've been around the game, and some great defensive coaches who shut down that kind of offense.(wing t) specialties why can't we kick an extra point or field goal??? This sopmore class coming up is loaded. I see them under achieving, I don't see the fire in the coaching staff. I think we still have a few good coaches but all and all as a staff were at best a C average. I feel it's time to win football games, I feel all sports at GleOak should be sucessfull. when was the last time GlenOak won the all federal league trophy, I can't remember. I'm tired I've had enough like many others, I want to see sucess.. Time for major changes..... as for the levy the state realy needs to come up with a better way to fund our schools. hopefully the new elected officials will find a better way. In the mean time if we have to pass levies to give our kids a better education then thats what we have to do...... always great to chat with everyone go eagles.....