Time for Nostalgia - Share Your Jackson Memories

polar_purple

As an offshoot of the other thread, let's get nostalgic. It's time to share memories of Jackson, Jackson Local Schools, Jackson Township, etc.

Whatever it may be.....feel free to share it - what do YOU remember about the past and life in general in Jackson Township?

Some Things to Get Us Started* - Do you remember when:
1. Belden Village was built?
2. The Strip was still a gravel pit and Portage had a much larger hill in it by the pit?
3. Strausser Road looked like it was the victim of a bombing run?
4. Wales Square was still in Jackson (annexed by Massillon about ten years ago) and Best Products was its anchor?
5. Piggly Wiggly, Krogers and McArdle's IGA were all grocery stores in Jackson (bonus points if you remember where each was)?
6. Jackson High School was still on Mudbrook & Sauder was a junior high?
7. We got our own police force?
8. The colors of our first cruisers being either flesh-toned (baby butt pink as my mom used to call the color), navy blue, or brown?
9. Sohio was where Family Video now is?
10. Monty's was the local hangout?
11. The one room school house (now by JHS) was on Wales and was home to the Jackson Journal and later the Dairy Cup?
12. Fulton Road was only two lanes all the way through Lake Cable - and that was plenty big enough?
13. You could drive on Mt. Pleasant from Highmill to North Canton w/o making a turn?

And a few more for the older-timers (50+):
14. I-77 was built on the eastern edge of our Township?
15. The stadium was renamed Robert Fife Stadium?
16. Sauder Elementary opened and who it was named for?

As an offshoot of the other thread, let's get nostalgic. It's time to share memories of Jackson, Jackson Local Schools, Jackson Township, etc.

Whatever it may be.....feel free to share it - what do YOU remember about the past and life in general in Jackson Township?

2. The Strip was still a gravel pit and Portage had a much larger hill in it by the pit?
4. Wales Square was still in Jackson (annexed by Massillon about ten years ago) and Best Products was its anchor?
5. Piggly Wiggly, Krogers and McArdle's IGA were all grocery stores in Jackson (bonus points if you remember where each was)?
8. The colors of our first cruisers being either flesh-toned (baby butt pink as my mom used to call the color), navy blue, or brown?
11. The one room school house (now by JHS) was on Wales and was home to the Jackson Journal and later the Dairy Cup?
12. Fulton Road was only two lanes all the way through Lake Cable - and that was plenty big enough?
13. You could drive on Mt. Pleasant from Highmill to North Canton w/o making a turn?

Monty's was awesome.

For the old(er)-timers, it seems to me that there was another grocery store in the Piggly Wiggly space either before or after it was a PW. Does anyone remember if that was the case, and if so - what was it?

Monty's was awesome.

Monty's was cool, but do you remember how he always would lock the front door to his store when he went out to pump gas so that the teenagers from the high school wouldn't steal stuff from his store? That's why he told my Mom he did it,anyways.

I always thought that it was so funny that he'd take the time to lock his store up every single time he'd go out front to wait on customers who were buying plants or getting gas or whatever.

I did like all the ice cream treats and candy and stuff he had inside, though. And he was always really nice to me and my sister and Mom whenever we went there. I guess you were OK in Monty's book as long as you weren't a teenager from the high school. :shrug:

I did like all the ice cream treats and candy and stuff he had inside, though. And he was always really nice to me and my sister and Mom whenever we went there. I guess you were OK in Monty's book as long as you weren't a teenager from the high school. :shrug:

I'm impressed he was nice to you. While we didn't really go to Monty's too much, he was my bus driver for two years back in grade school. I always remembered him as a mean old cremudgeon (sp?), that I could swear hated kids. Let's put it this way, two characters in today's entertainment world remind me of him: the lead character in the comic strip, "Crankshaft", and Walter (aka Jeff Dunham)....lol.

I'm impressed he was nice to you. While we didn't really go to Monty's too much, he was my bus driver for two years back in grade school. I always remembered him as a mean old cremudgeon (sp?), that I could swear hated kids. Let's put it this way, two characters in today's entertainment world remind me of him: the lead character in the comic strip, "Crankshaft", and Walter (aka Jeff Dunham)....lol.

I think that the only reason he was nice to us was because we were always with our Mom, and because she never let us go inside his store without her to get candy. She knew how weird he was about kids being in his store alone, so she always made us be on our best behavior and she stayed right with us when she let us get stuff.

Also, she was always asking his advice on which types of garden plants to buy, and I think he felt flattered that she wanted his advice, so he was nice to her. And....Mom was quite the looker back in the day, so that might have had something to do with it, too. :laugh:

As for places in old Jackson that I liked, I'd have to say Anglemont's Dairy on Wales Rd. Anglemont's wasn't that far from our house on Strausser, and when I was younger, my friend Maria and I would ride our horses over to Anglemont's for an ice cream cone in the summers. The people who worked there always would give us a big 5 gallon bucket filled with water for our horses and would let them drink and graze in the back yard area of the store while we ate our ice cream. Mom mother always bought butter,cheese and other dairy products from there as well, since their stuff was better than what you could find in the area grocery stores.

Another place I would ride my horse to was The Quik Shop on the corner of Portage and Wales, across from the current Circle K store. That was the only convenience store for miles back when I was little, so if I wanted any type of candy or a popsicle or whatever, The Quik Shop was the only place semi-close to our house. Although, since we lived so far out, even The Quik Shop was a couple miles away- which is why I was only allowed to ride my horse-and not my bike- there. My Dad said it was too dangerous to ride on the roads all the way to The Quik Shop,but he'd let me ride the horse in the farm fields instead up to the store.

I liked when the old Frank farm was still there, where The Meadowlands is now located. We lived right across from the Halter farm growing up, and my Dad used to help Nick Halter plow and disc all of the area fields that the Halters leased, and when my sister and I were little, Mom would pack us a lunch, and drive us over to the Frank farm when Dad was plowing there in one of the halter's huge John Deere farm tractors with the covered cabs. Dad would let us ride with him all afternoon inside the tractor, and I thought it was SO cool!

I also used to ride my horse in the field closest to Arlington on the farm there, since it was a long stretch where I could let my horse flat out gallop without having to stop or cross any streets. We also used to snowmobile on the Frank farm, as well as the farm off of Lutz across from Rolling Green golf course, which is now an allotment, too. Actually, almost all of the farms that I used to ride horses and snowmobiles on are now allotments, so I guess it's good that we no longer have either snowmobiles or horses- no place to ride them!

Last edited:
I think that the only reason he was nice to us was because we were always with our Mom, and because she never let us go inside his store without her to get candy. She knew how weird he was about kids being in his store alone, so she always made us be on our best behavior and she stayed right with us when she let us get stuff.

Also, she was always asking his advice on which types of garden plants to buy, and I think he felt flattered that she wanted his advice, so he was nice to her. And....Mom was quite the looker back in the day, so that might have had something to do with it, too. :laugh:

As for places in old jackson that I liked, I'd have to say Anglemont's Dairy on Wales Rd. Anglemont's wasn't that far from our house on Strausser, and when I was younger, my friend Maria and I would ride our horses over to Anglemont's for an ice cream cone in the summers. The people who worked there always would give us a big 5 gallon bucket filled with water for our horses and would let them drink and graze in the back yard area of the store while we ate our ice cream. Mom mother always bought butter,cheese and other dairy products from there as well, since their stuff was better than what you could find in the area grocery stores.

Anglemonts - that was the place right at the bend in Wales in front of the quarry, right? Just south of the current (didn't exist then) Waywood/Shuffel? With the big blue "A" on it, IIRC and had peacocks.

Anglemonts - that was the place right at the bend in Wales in front of the quarry, right? Just south of the current (didn't exist then) Waywood/Shuffel? With the big blue "A" on it, IIRC and had peacocks.

That's the one. The building in still there today, and it's some type of business. Back in the day, it had an old, rusty screen door for the front door, and the floor inside was just cement. It wasn't fancy at all, but they had super good dairy items that were always really fresh. Mom went there at least twice per week for stuff.

I believe the farm that was right behind the store was the Anglemont's dairy farm, and the things they sold in the store were from their farm. I don't think it's there anymore, though.

That's the one. The building in still there today, and it's some type of business. Back in the day, it had an old, rusty screen door for the front door, and the floor inside was just cement. It wasn't fancy at all, but they had super good dairy items that were always really fresh. Mom went there at least twice per week for stuff.

I believe the farm that was right behind the store was the Anglemont's dairy farm, and the things they sold in the store were from their farm. I don't think it's there anymore, though.

I remember it being there, and vaguely remember going there once. But that might be about it. I think it's some kind of security firm now - don't really pay much attention to it, as I'm more focused on that somewhat sharp bend there...lol.

On a bizarre side note, though - I do remember about 8-10 years ago - stopping in their parking lot after my son (the one who knows your daughter) barfed all over my car on the way to fireworks in Akron. He said he was feeling sick, but had a tendency to "cry wolf", so I didn't believe him when he told me he had to puke. Guess he proved me wrong, dangit!!! Eww.

Speaking of the past - my son had his birthday yesterday & one of the Haymaker grandkids was there. As I was talking to his mom, I thought about you - figured your childhood home was pretty darned close to where the grandparent's house used to be.

My grandparents had a farm behind the gravel pit where my mom and her 9 bros. and sisters grew up. Just a couple of years after my grandfather died my grandmother sold to the gravel pit. then a few years later the gravel pit sold to the developer..... there was a music store on the corner with a LONG gravel drive way leading back to my grandparents farm. Now that area is occupied by the back of Lowes.

My grandparents had a farm behind the gravel pit where my mom and her 9 bros. and sisters grew up. Just a couple of years after my grandfather died my grandmother sold to the gravel pit. then a few years later the gravel pit sold to the developer.....

Wow...I don't even remember there being a farm there. I know there was a Sohio where the meters are now adjacent the SB on-ramp & V-Rock Shop & BV Music was formerly at the top of the hill. But I don't remember a farm - where was it at? I alwasy thought that was mostly swamp land surrounding the pit.

what about when the annual township festival for the 4th of july...that isn't really on the 4th of july any more, was over off brunerdale/lake o springs and was called the firemans festival

What about..a retail store named Clarkins
Grocery stores named Charms
The Rice Pharmacy soda fountain...
Right next to the old Jr's bar in the lake cable plaza

what about when the annual township festival for the 4th of july...that isn't really on the 4th of july any more, was over off brunerdale/lake o springs and was called the firemans festival

Held at Fisher Park if memory serves correct - used to have barrell pushing contests with the Canal Fulton FD.

What about..a retail store named Clarkins
Grocery stores named Charms
The Rice Pharmacy soda fountain...
Right next to the old Jr's bar in the lake cable plaza

Definitely remember Rice's (along w/McArdles).

Charms? Name sounds familiar, but where was that?

Clarkins...was that where Acme is now down on Hills/Dales, or was that the old Hills/Gold Circle? (or neither?)

Definitely remember Rice's (along w/McArdles).

Charms? Name sounds familiar, but where was that?

Clarkins...was that where Acme is now down on Hills/Dales, or was that the old Hills/Gold Circle? (or neither?)

Yes to the Clarkins question and maybe the grocery store was Carms if not Charmes but it was right next to it there was also another grocery store by the same name at country fair plaza but that was outside the township.also out front where the hunington bank is was home to the 20 cent burger that I remember from the early 70s Borden Burger

Speaking of the past - my son had his birthday yesterday & one of the Haymaker grandkids was there. As I was talking to his mom, I thought about you - figured your childhood home was pretty darned close to where the grandparent's house used to be.

Wow- small world! The Haymakers lived directly next door to us growing up, and we were all best friends when we were little kids. I'm the exact same age as Anna, their oldest child, and my younger sister is in between the Haymaker's second and third kids, Greg and Dana.

Haymakers lived in that log cabin style house that is across from Strausser Elementary that has the oversized garage. The pink brick ranch house with the two barns out back next to Haymakers is my parents' house where I grew up.

When we were little, Haymakers, us, and the Halter farm (which stood where Strausser Elementary is now) were like the only houses in that whole area, so it's a good thing that Haymakers had so many children (they have six kids) - otherwise it would have made for a pretty lonely childhood for me and my sister!

There was also another farm that once stood across the street from my parents' house up by where Laura Avenue is now,but the owners died and the house and barns were torn down back in the early 1970's. My Dad later bought up the land where that farm used to stand and still owns it now. It runs in between the allotment on Laura Ave. and the school.

They also had batting cages that really were a challenge. I mean where else could you go and the cages actually threw brushback pitches. I took a few to the body at that place.haha

What about the old Jackson forrest putt-putt property at the corner of wales / strausser

Lol...I still remember the one hole that was maybe 80' long or so and you had to "putt" (chip!) across seriously uneven grass.

Kind of funny that we had two mini-golf courses at one time - remember the one on Fulton that you had to go down the hill to get to? (just east of Dressler)

Neither one of them were really great - we always went up to Hartville to Rolling greens or Clearwater. Not that they were really much better...lol.

I also remember when the site of fisher foods use to be home to a driving range

?!?! The one on Fulton or the one on Main. I remember the one on Main was either on the site of, or very near to, a driving range. However, that Main location wouldn't be in Jackson.

I honestly cannot recall anything prior to Fishers on Fulton...that might have been before my time - not sure when that Fishers went in.

Yes to the Clarkins question and maybe the grocery store was Carms if not Charmes but it was right next to it there was also another grocery store by the same name at country fair plaza but that was outside the township.also out front where the hunington bank is was home to the 20 cent burger that I remember from the early 70s Borden Burger

I remember it was something prior to Acme, but didn't know what. Although was it a Clarkins or a Clicks (or perhaps both)?

That entire area was totally on the other side of the township where I grew up, so we didn't get down there much except to visit Meyers Lake Amusement Park (YAY!) and go to the garden center where Springbrook Plaza now is.

Wow- small world! The Haymakers lived directly next door to us growing up, and we were all best friends when we were little kids. I'm the exact same age as Anna, their oldest child, and my younger sister is in between the Haymaker's second and third kids, Greg and Dana.

Haymakers lived in that log cabin style house that is across from Strausser Elementary that has the oversized garage. The pink brick ranch house with the two barns out back next to Haymakers is my parents' house where I grew up.

When we were little, Haymakers, us, and the Halter farm (which stood where Strausser Elementary is now) were like the only houses in that whole area, so it's a good thing that Haymakers had so many children (they have six kids) - otherwise it would have made for a pretty lonely childhood for me and my sister!

There was also another farm that once stood across the street from my parents' house up by where Laura Avenue is now,but the owners died and the house and barns were torn down back in the early 1970's. My Dad later bought up the land where that farm used to stand and still owns it now. It runs in between the allotment on Laura Ave. and the school.

We grew up fairly close to each other. I remember when Woodmoor & Westmoor both went in. After the farmer sold the Woodmoor land, it laid barren for about two years and we used to have a TON of fun playin in the overgrown fields back there.

I remember when Laura went in - it was right across the street from a childhood playmate of mine. We always thought the houses back there were HUGE!

Anyone ever go to Best Products? I used to LOVE that store during my teen years. I could drool for hours over some of their electronics.

Odd store in that you had to pick up your stuff at the registers.

Yes..You would right down the ticket item turn it in and pay for it then wait for it to come down the chute/ conveyor belt to pick up... and just west of there on amherst on the way home you could see,giraffes, buffalo,lama's and the like at Ike Ilgs (sp) lodge at the corner of amherst and fulton..then maybe head west on fulton and stop for a swim at high mill pond

Yes..You would right down the ticket item turn it in and pay for it then wait for it to come down the chute/ conveyor belt to pick up... and just west of there on amherst on the way home you could see,giraffes, buffalo,lama's and the like at Ike Ilgs (sp) lodge at the corner of amherst and fulton..then maybe head west on fulton and stop for a swim at high mill pond

Yuppers...remember those two, as well. Loved the giraffes at "Dr. Doolittle's" as we called him.

We are friends w/the family who owns that pond - they turned it into a shrimp farm last year - did pretty good at it, too.

Not that it was very long ago - remember when they realligned Hills & Dales and Everhard? We lived briefly down in that area - was really bizarre to see that all change, albeit for the better.

Same with Stuhldreher at H&D.