Thoughts from Game 1

abigfan

Didn't get to the game against Trotwood Friday night. Looking at the stats from the game though, it appears that Mason's offense is going to be a problem again this year. I know it was only the first game of the year, but Coach castner is going to have to figure something out with the offensive line if this offense is going to have any real productivity.

Mason's offense produced 106 yards of total offense Friday night. I believe it was something in the neighborhood of 61 yards rushing and 45 yards passing the ball. What troubled me most was that according to what I read, Mason had the ball 6 times inside the Trotwood 30 and only scored once?

It also appears that the defense played well. Although encouraging, the defense can not continue to be put in the position of being on the field for long periods of time game after game.

This weeks game against Centerville will not be an easy one. The Elks absolutely demolished Lakota East.

First off I’d like to ask a question. Who keeps the stats and who is responsible for their accuracy? The box score has more errors than I can believe. There are at least three players that have stats that didn’t even play. Four players that have stats at positions they’ve never ever played. Mason I think had more 1st downs than Trotwood (I think it was Mason 9 or 10 and Trotwood 7) they seemed to have flipped that stat around. I don’t know what else but I’d suspect there could be many more. The GWOC site is actually more accurate than the GMC one.:blush:

I only bring this up because it would be hard to assess this game by score and stats alone. I also don’t believe you can judge performance by stats alone even if they are accurate. But if they’re going to be kept them they should reflect as close as possible what actually occurred to maintain credibility in the sport. :thumb:

Since aBigfan, MasonComet and probably many others were unable to attend I’ll give you my version of play by play as I observed, recorded and remembered.

TW won the toss and elected to defer.

TW kickoff to the MC 13 and the Comets return to the MC 33.
Mason gets two 1st downs with some nice run/pass combos. Then what was to be another first down on a 3rd down outside run, Mason RB fumbles the ball and TW recovers on the TW 33.

TW starts on it’s on 33 with a failed long pass, then Mason sacks the TW QB and stops another long ball attempt.

TW punts from the TW 28 but the Mason returner fumbles and TW recovers on the Mason 22.

Mason stops TW RB for a loss on the M 25.
TW RB takes it inside the M 15 on the next play.
Mason defense stops the drive with a FF and Mason recovers on the M 2 yd line!

The Comets try an outside run with their backs up against the wall and TW stuffs it for the safety.
TW 2-0.

Mason KO from the M 20 and TW starts at the M 41.

Again the Mason defense stops TW rush and long ball attempts.
TW punts from the M 40 .

Mason offense takes over again on their own 33.
The comets rush 3 times and get a 1st down. Then drive stalls on the M 46.

Mason punts but TW blocks the punt, picks it up and scores a TD.
TW 8-0. TW extra point called back on a TW motion penalty.

TW goes for 2 and converts the pass play.
TW 10-0.

TW KO Mason returns it 19 yards to the M 38.
End of 1st qtr Mason down 10-0 with Mason’s defense only giving up 1 TW 1st down.

Note: TW MLB #3 has gone the entire 1st qtr without being blocked. #3 also had the blocked punt/TW score. The TW MLB is almost single handedly responsible for Mason’s inconsistent rushing game up to this point.

Mason offense starts on the M 38 in the 2nd qtr. 1st play starts with a Mason motion penalty.

Mason’s offense again is stuffed trying to run and failed pass attempts to covered WR’s.

Mason punts and TW takes over on the TW 33.

Mason defense gives up one 1st down then stuffs the TW running game again to force TW to punt.

Mason offense takes over on their own 32. TW MLB still running free and causing havoc to the Mason run game. But the Comets still manage a first down with a nice pass to the Mason TE on the M 48.

3rd and 8 Mason QB throws a pass to a phantom WR. Not one comet within 15 yards of the pass.

Mason punts and TW takes over on its own 15.

TW manages one 1st down before Mason’s defense causes another TW FF.

Mason starts on the TW 15 and a couple of plays later score a rushing TD and extra point.
TW 10-7.

TW takes over after the Mason KO on the TW 32.

Mason defense gives up one 1st down and then sacks the TW QB and stuffs the long ball attempt.

TW punts and the 1st half ends with Mason on its own 14.

At the half TW 10 Mason 7.

I’ve got Mason with six 1st downs, 2 fumbles and one interception. TW with three 1st downs and 2 fumbles for the first half.

====================================================================================================================

Mason KO to start the second half. Mason KO player stops TW returner dead in his tracks on the TW 10.

1st and 10 TW QB can’t find an open WR so he tries to run it up the middle. Mason SS picks up the TW QB and slams him to the ground.

TW then passes for a 1st down then Mason recovers a TW fumble on the TW 28.

Mason on the TW 28 can’t pass or run the ball. 4th and 7 tries a 42 yd FG and misses.

TW takes over on the TW 20 (this is a high school rule). TW fails at two running plays. TW tries to pass on 3rd and long.

Mason interception on a TW long ball and Mason DB returns it to the TW 17.

Mason offensive still can’t block #3 TW MLB or gain any yards on the ground.
4th down Mason kicks 31 yard FG 3 points.

The score tied at 10 – 10 with a little over 5 mins. to play in the 3rd qtr.

Mason KO and TW start out on their own 23.
TW manages a 1st down then breaks loose for a 65 yard td run. The TW RB does get caught from behind as he crosses the goal line and fumbles the ball out of the end zone.
TW failed at a two point conversion.

TW 16-10 with a couple of mins. left in the 3rd qtr.

TW KO to the Mason 26.

Mason offense penalty moves ball back to the Mason 11.

Offense still can’t move the ball for a 1st down and punts to Mason 33.

TW starts the 4th qtr on the Mason 33.
Mason defense forces TW to 3 and out.

TW punts and Mason offense starts on their own 5 yd line.

Mason offense turns the ball over again with a thrown interception to a non open WR.

TW starts out on the Comet 25.
TW gets a 1st down and then a TD on 5-6 running plays against a worn down Mason defense.

TW 22-10. Mason defense stops the TW offense at other 2 point conversion attempt.

Still TW 22-10 with just under 7 mins. left in the game.

TW KO and Mason starts again on its own 32.

Mason gets to the Mason 47 on a nice pass play. Then Mason QB gets sacked instead of throwing it away on the Mason 40.

After a poor pass on a screen play to the FB (bad QB pass that if good, looked like a clear shot for a Mason TD down the sideline), the Mason QB throws another Interception on 3rd and 17. The pass was perfect to the TW defender.

TW takes over again on its own 32.
Next play Mason defense once again causes TW RB to fumble.

Mason offense takes over again on the TW 27 (inside the 30 once again).
1st play offensive motion penalty but Mason gets a 1st down, then loses yardage and can’t convert on 4th down.

TW takes over on its own 27 yd line. (Same place the offense stated its series).

Mason defense stops the TW offense once again. TW even tries to pass up by 12 with just over 2 mins. left due to the Mason defense stopping the TW run. The Mason DB’s were stingy all night.

TW punts after 3 and out.

Mason takes over again on the 50 yd line.

Mason offense tries to run up the middle again with TW #3 MLB still stuffing the hole. Again # 3 ran free at will all night long.

Mason 4 and out due to another bad pass attempt by Mason and another sack for the unwilling QB to throw the ball away. Time ticking away TW gets the ball back on the TW 49.

Trotwood gives the ball to their monster FB 3 times and clock runs out.

Final Trotwood 22 – Mason 10.

My final thoughts:

The Mason defense played a really good game, except for the 65 yard running play given up in the 3rd qtr. Defense looked good against the run and the pass. But was worn down a couple of times later in the game due to being on the field too long.

The Mason offense looked terrible except the first drive of the game when they drove from the Mason 33 until the FB fumble on the TW 38.
Offense didn’t block the TW MLB #3 most of the game and that alone kept the running game from being successful. There were holes at times but the RB’s seemed to make the wrong cuts or miss the assigned hole. IDK for sure? Timing could have been an issue and the holes might not have been opened long enough. QB inexperience showed big time! IMO.

Special teams looked pretty good except for the blocked punt.

The team seemed to be up for most of the game. The offense was not effective most of the game, less and less as the game went on.

I saw some leadership but I think there needs to be more.

All in all, Mason played a close game with a team that is picked to win state this year in D2 and has many D1 recruts. :thumb:

If the Comets can get the offense to execute better, take advantage of opportunities, score some more points and the defense fine tune, not give up the big play and keep giving the offense great opportunities we will have a very good year. JMO! :cool:

Go Comets!!!

First off I’d like to ask a question. Who keeps the stats and who is responsible for their accuracy? The box score has more errors than I can believe. There are at least three players that have stats that didn’t even play. Four players that have stats at positions they’ve never ever played. Mason I think had more 1st downs than Trotwood (I think it was Mason 9 or 10 and Trotwood 7) they seemed to have flipped that stat around. I don’t know what else but I’d suspect there could be many more. The GWOC site is actually more accurate than the GMC one.:blush:

I only bring this up because it would be hard to assess this game by score and stats alone. I also don’t believe you can judge performance by stats alone even if they are accurate. But if they’re going to be kept them they should reflect as close as possible what actually occurred to maintain credibility in the sport. :thumb:

Since aBigfan, MasonComet and probably many others were unable to attend I’ll give you my version of play by play as I observed, recorded and remembered.

TW won the toss and elected to defer.

TW kickoff to the MC 13 and the Comets return to the MC 33.
Mason gets two 1st downs with some nice run/pass combos. Then what was to be another first down on a 3rd down outside run, Mason RB fumbles the ball and TW recovers on the TW 33.

TW starts on it’s on 33 with a failed long pass, then Mason sacks the TW QB and stops another long ball attempt.

TW punts from the TW 28 but the Mason returner fumbles and TW recovers on the Mason 22.

Mason stops TW RB for a loss on the M 25.
TW RB takes it inside the M 15 on the next play.
Mason defense stops the drive with a FF and Mason recovers on the M 2 yd line!

The Comets try an outside run with their backs up against the wall and TW stuffs it for the safety.
TW 2-0.

Mason KO from the M 20 and TW starts at the M 41.

Again the Mason defense stops TW rush and long ball attempts.
TW punts from the M 40 .

Mason offense takes over again on their own 33.
The comets rush 3 times and get a 1st down. Then drive stalls on the M 46.

Mason punts but TW blocks the punt, picks it up and scores a TD.
TW 8-0. TW extra point called back on a TW motion penalty.

TW goes for 2 and converts the pass play.
TW 10-0.

TW KO Mason returns it 19 yards to the M 38.
End of 1st qtr Mason down 10-0 with Mason’s defense only giving up 1 TW 1st down.

Note: TW MLB #3 has gone the entire 1st qtr without being blocked. #3 also had the blocked punt/TW score. The TW MLB is almost single handedly responsible for Mason’s inconsistent rushing game up to this point.

Mason offense starts on the M 38 in the 2nd qtr. 1st play starts with a Mason motion penalty.

Mason’s offense again is stuffed trying to run and failed pass attempts to covered WR’s.

Mason punts and TW takes over on the TW 33.

Mason defense gives up one 1st down then stuffs the TW running game again to force TW to punt.

Mason offense takes over on their own 32. TW MLB still running free and causing havoc to the Mason run game. But the Comets still manage a first down with a nice pass to the Mason TE on the M 48.

3rd and 8 Mason QB throws a pass to a phantom WR. Not one comet within 15 yards of the pass.

Mason punts and TW takes over on its own 15.

TW manages one 1st down before Mason’s defense causes another TW FF.

Mason starts on the TW 15 and a couple of plays later score a rushing TD and extra point.
TW 10-7.

TW takes over after the Mason KO on the TW 32.

Mason defense gives up one 1st down and then sacks the TW QB and stuffs the long ball attempt.

TW punts and the 1st half ends with Mason on its own 14.

At the half TW 10 Mason 7.

I’ve got Mason with six 1st downs, 2 fumbles and one interception. TW with three 1st downs and 2 fumbles for the first half.

====================================================================================================================

Mason KO to start the second half. Mason KO player stops TW returner dead in his tracks on the TW 10.

1st and 10 TW QB can’t find an open WR so he tries to run it up the middle. Mason SS picks up the TW QB and slams him to the ground.

TW then passes for a 1st down then Mason recovers a TW fumble on the TW 28.

Mason on the TW 28 can’t pass or run the ball. 4th and 7 tries a 42 yd FG and misses.

TW takes over on the TW 20 (this is a high school rule). TW fails at two running plays. TW tries to pass on 3rd and long.

Mason interception on a TW long ball and Mason DB returns it to the TW 17.

Mason offensive still can’t block #3 TW MLB or gain any yards on the ground.
4th down Mason kicks 31 yard FG 3 points.

The score tied at 10 – 10 with a little over 5 mins. to play in the 3rd qtr.

Mason KO and TW start out on their own 23.
TW manages a 1st down then breaks loose for a 65 yard td run. The TW RB does get caught from behind as he crosses the goal line and fumbles the ball out of the end zone.
TW failed at a two point conversion.

TW 16-10 with a couple of mins. left in the 3rd qtr.

TW KO to the Mason 26.

Mason offense penalty moves ball back to the Mason 11.

Offense still can’t move the ball for a 1st down and punts to Mason 33.

TW starts the 4th qtr on the Mason 33.
Mason defense forces TW to 3 and out.

TW punts and Mason offense starts on their own 5 yd line.

Mason offense turns the ball over again with a thrown interception to a non open WR.

TW starts out on the Comet 25.
TW gets a 1st down and then a TD on 5-6 running plays against a worn down Mason defense.

TW 22-10. Mason defense stops the TW offense at other 2 point conversion attempt.

Still TW 22-10 with just under 7 mins. left in the game.

TW KO and Mason starts again on its own 32.

Mason gets to the Mason 47 on a nice pass play. Then Mason QB gets sacked instead of throwing it away on the Mason 40.

After a poor pass on a screen play to the FB (bad QB pass that if good, looked like a clear shot for a Mason TD down the sideline), the Mason QB throws another Interception on 3rd and 17. The pass was perfect to the TW defender.

TW takes over again on its own 32.
Next play Mason defense once again causes TW RB to fumble.

Mason offense takes over again on the TW 27 (inside the 30 once again).
1st play offensive motion penalty but Mason gets a 1st down, then loses yardage and can’t convert on 4th down.

TW takes over on its own 27 yd line. (Same place the offense stated its series).

Mason defense stops the TW offense once again. TW even tries to pass up by 12 with just over 2 mins. left due to the Mason defense stopping the TW run. The Mason DB’s were stingy all night.

TW punts after 3 and out.

Mason takes over again on the 50 yd line.

Mason offense tries to run up the middle again with TW #3 MLB still stuffing the hole. Again # 3 ran free at will all night long.

Mason 4 and out due to another bad pass attempt by Mason and another sack for the unwilling QB to throw the ball away. Time ticking away TW gets the ball back on the TW 49.

Trotwood gives the ball to their monster FB 3 times and clock runs out.

Final Trotwood 22 – Mason 10.

My final thoughts:

The Mason defense played a really good game, except for the 65 yard running play given up in the 3rd qtr. Defense looked good against the run and the pass. But was worn down a couple of times later in the game due to being on the field too long.

The Mason offense looked terrible except the first drive of the game when they drove from the Mason 33 until the FB fumble on the TW 38.
Offense didn’t block the TW MLB #3 most of the game and that alone kept the running game from being successful. There were holes at times but the RB’s seemed to make the wrong cuts or miss the assigned hole. IDK for sure? Timing could have been an issue and the holes might not have been opened long enough. QB inexperience showed big time! IMO.

Special teams looked pretty good except for the blocked punt.

The team seemed to be up for most of the game. The offense was not effective most of the game, less and less as the game went on.

I saw some leadership but I think there needs to be more.

All in all, Mason played a close game with a team that is picked to win state this year in D2 and has many D1 recruts. :thumb:

If the Comets can get the offense to execute better, take advantage of opportunities, score some more points and the defense fine tune, not give up the big play and keep giving the offense great opportunities we will have a very good year. JMO! :cool:

Go Comets!!!
Thanks for the lowdown HWC. Wow, must have been a frustrating game to watch with all of those turnovers by both teams!! It would seem that under normal circumstances, a team that turned it over 5 times should not have won.

Good news for the Comets is that it appears they have a good defense. they definitely need to get the offense turned around quickly. From what it sounds like, maybe they should give another QB a shot. If Mason turns it over 4 times against Centerville, the result could be very ugly.

Hopefuly the team will respond this week and Coach Castner and staff can get some things fixed by Friday.

Thanks for the lowdown HWC. Wow, must have been a frustrating game to watch with all of those turnovers by both teams!! It would seem that under normal circumstances, a team that turned it over 5 times should not have won.

Good news for the Comets is that it appears they have a good defense. they definitely need to get the offense turned around quickly. From what it sounds like, maybe they should give another QB a shot. If Mason turns it over 4 times against Centerville, the result could be very ugly.

Hopefuly the team will respond this week and Coach Castner and staff can get some things fixed by Friday.

I think Drew Matula almost got into the game at qb for Mason in the first half. I saw Coach Castner talk to him and he went to warm up. Then Trotwood fumbled deep in their own territory so Sprauge went back in and the Comets scored their td.

I'm not sure you would want to put a sophomore qb in against Centerviile. However, if this game gets ugly, Matula may play against the Elks second teamers.