The Lakota West Firebirds 2023-2024 Thread

Was Smith a member of the best 11? Or was he given unwarranted praise because he’s a 6’3 Freshman who’s ranked high on some recruiting website?
A lot of people who didn’t watch the summer workouts or 7v7s make this comment. Quite frankly Wiles looked horrible then. It was between Smith and Shaefe. When Shaefe ran out, it was Smith’s job. Obviously Smith wasn’t ready, however, to suggest that Wiles was the best option at the time is dotish.

I personally think Wiles has reached his ceiling. Smith has much more upside and I predict he’ll make a lot of positive strides in the offseason. I think Bolden will roll with Smith.
Wiles can also play corner from his JV days which the team lacks. They’ll use this and ask Sam to help them out and move his position. The real reason is he needs to make Smith happy.

What is dotish is believing that Smith’s surrounding hype had nothing to do with him being the starter the first two weeks.
While I do agree with part of your first post noting Sam’s athleticism and versatility (Potentially playing CB). I also have to tell you once again, Wiles was not the same player in preseason as he was from Weeks 3-12.

Last edited:
The real reason is he needs to make Smith happy.
Or because he’s a great athlete. I never viewed Wiles as a straight quarterback. His athletic ability has always been his strong suit. There’s nothing wrong with not playing QB and starting at another position.

While I do agree with part of our first post noting Sam’s athleticism and versatility (Potentially playing CB). I also have to tell you once again, Wiles was not the same player in preseason as he was from Weeks 3-12.
So he magically becomes a great QB and takes the offense from averaging 2 PPG to 35? I don’t buy it. There was obviously a huge misevaluation by Bolden and co.

So he magically becomes a great QB and takes the offense from averaging 2 PPG to 35? I don’t buy it. There was obviously a huge misevaluation by Bolden and co.
The offense was adjusted quite a bit to fit Wiles play-style. I wouldn’t by any means consider Wiles a “great” QB. I think he was really solid last year, but as for “great” Firebird QBs… I think that’s reserved only for Mitch Bolden.

In the preseason Wiles was the 4th string QB. That’s not a misevaluation. Wiles just could not fit what Beauchamp and Bolden wanted to do offensively. When they tweaked the offense after Week 2 to something that would complement his game more, you saw the benefits.

Last edited:
The offense was adjusted quite a bit to fit Wiles play-style. I wouldn’t by any means consider Wiles a “great” QB. I think he was really solid last year, but as for “great” Firebird QBs… I think that’s reserved only for Mitch Bolden.

In the preseason Wiles was the 4th string QB. That’s not a misevaluation. Wiles just could not fit what Beauchamp and Bolden wanted to do offensively. When they tweaked the offense after Week 2 to something that would complement his game more, you saw the benefits.
Maybe you’re right. But I still think this should be Sam Wiles’ job to lose. Instead they’ll keep it as an open battle that Smith will probably win, if Wiles looks as bad in the preseason as you say.

I hope those 8 weeks on JV helped build confidence and allowed Smith to fine tune some things. I think the confidence component will determine how good of a sophomore campaign he has. Mentally, he has to bounce back from being benched after two weeks in the previous season.

Maybe you’re right. But I still think this should be Sam Wiles’ job to lose. Instead they’ll keep it as an open battle that Smith will probably win, if Wiles looks as bad in the preseason as you say.

I hope those 8 weeks on JV helped build confidence and allowed Smith to fine tune some things. I think the confidence component will determine how good of a sophomore campaign he has. Mentally, he has to bounce back from being benched after two weeks in the previous season.
I don’t disagree with this take at all.

However, having an open QB battle does make sense. They both were starters at some point in the season.

Firehawk or Olympiums, I say I’m pretty well versed on the team, but I am a little confused about the staff. Who is the defensive-coordinator? In some interviews Tyler Huls is mentioned, but I also heard Bolden brought over his Colerain defensive coordinator Phill Joseph.

Firehawk or Olympiums, I say I’m pretty well versed on the team, but I am a little confused about the staff. Who is the defensive-coordinator? In some interviews Tyler Huls is mentioned, but I also heard Bolden brought over his Colerain defensive coordinator Phill Joseph.
They are both the coordinators. They serve as Co-Defensive Coordinators.

Bishop Fenwick standout Vincent Giordano has transferred to Lakota West for his senior year, per his Twitter. I presume he'll primarily be a defensive lineman. I'm unsure of his connection to LW, but Bolden has pulled some monstrous size, bolstering the trenches.
i’m not quite sure you can call Giordano a standout, from the looks of it he barely played at Fenwick due to injuries and transferring in. Talking to people around their program, he was more of a liability when he was in than the other guys on the DL. Hell be a rotation guy maybe, but the room is crowded at west.

i’m not quite sure you can call Giordano a standout, from the looks of it he barely played at Fenwick due to injuries and transferring in. Talking to people around their program, he was more of a liability when he was in than the other guys on the DL. Hell be a rotation guy maybe, but the room is crowded at west.
Wow interesting! I heard about the injuries but I assumed with that massive size and the amount of offers he’s receiving he was at least a standout on that Fenwick team.

Here’s what’ll happen at LW.
He’ll get moved to OT (Bolden made a similar move with Tegra Tshabola who’s now at Ohio State, and Lathan McComis who’s currently at Wolford.
Or…
He develops. Lakota West has started at least two D1 defensive lineman every year for the past 4-5 years. Bolden has a history of developing great DL. I think him transferring can help him grow tremendously.

The room is not crowded at West. All 3 defensive lineman last season were seniors.

Elijah Davis <Akron>
Gabriel Flores <Chattanooga>
Jonas Griffith <Findlay>

If Giordano doesn’t start, I don’t know who else will.

Here’s what’ll happen at LW
Agreed! His size and length could make him a great OL. However, the entire OL is basically returning. You have two first team All-GMC players in Christian O’Neal and Logan Gray.

What West is lacking is DL. #90 was the only DL I remember seeing, other than the Big 3, that received some sort of respectable playing time throughout the season. 90, Giordano, and ???

#90 was the only DL I remember seeing, other than the Big 3
Judah King. I’m excited for his senior year production. Flores is a great example of what a Junior to Senior year off-season can do. If King can somewhat replicate that level of progress, he’ll be really good this year.

Judah King. I’m excited for his senior year production. Flores is a great example of what a Junior to Senior year off-season can do. If King can somewhat replicate that level of progress, he’ll be really good this year.
I think it’s good they played him a good bit and got him varsity experience. He’s going to be the head of the room this season. Wish they would’ve did the same at quarterback a year ago.

It’s going to be extremely hard to replicate the productivity from the DL unit this past season. Statistically, it was LW’s best DL ever. Griffith a griddy, hard-nosed tank. Flores who had some of the best run discipline I’ve seen. And Davis, who is a straight playmaker and one of the most underrated players I’ve ever watched at this level.
They were so elite because they found a way to master their assignment. That was the only thing that mattered. If this new batch can do the same, they’ll be just as good.

I think it’s good they played him a good bit and got him varsity experience. He’s going to be the head of the room this season. Wish they would’ve did the same at quarterback a year ago.

It’s going to be extremely hard to replicate the productivity from the DL unit this past season. Statistically, it was LW’s best DL ever. Griffith a griddy, hard-nosed tank. Flores who had some of the best run discipline I’ve seen. And Davis, who is a straight playmaker and one of the most underrated players I’ve ever watched at this level.
They were so elite because they found a way to master their assignment. That was the only thing that mattered. If this new batch can do the same, they’ll be just as good.
Well said.

What I think is not talked about enough is how you go about replacing Taebron Bennie-Powell, Drew Minich, and Bukari Miles. This will be the first time in a few years that there isn’t a superstar recruit heading the LW secondary. LW has always had the ability to produce DBs even before the Bolden era. I’m not necessarily worried about their ability to perform, but I don’t know if it’ll be at the same level as previous years.

What I think is not talked about enough is how you go about replacing Taebron Bennie-Powell, Drew Minich, and Bukari Miles. This will be the first time in a few years that there isn’t a superstar recruit heading the LW secondary. LW has always had the ability to produce DBs even before the Bolden era. I’m not necessarily worried about their ability to perform, but I don’t know if it’ll be at the same level as previous years.
Last season you did see some regression from that core compared to previous years. A lot of that has to do with the fact that LW posed such a dominant run defense, the only way to move the ball was through the air for a lot of teams.

I think Finn Mason will be exceptional this season. After seeing his performance against Princeton in Week 12, I think if he physically gets a little bigger he’ll be great. Joel Drake was another guy who got some reps on varsity and is the natural predecessor to Powell. The safety core will be just fine.
As for corner, that’s where some questions arise. The JV corners weren’t bad and I could definitely see them being the starters. You’ll also definitely get some transfers at the DB position.

Cam Thomas has received a 4 Star ranking per On3.

He is the second LW linebacker this season to receive a 4 star ranking by a major recruiting site. (Beerman via Rivals)

The new age of LW Linebackers is here.

Last season you did see some regression from that core compared to previous years. A lot of that has to do with the fact that LW posed such a dominant run defense, the only way to move the ball was through the air for a lot of teams.

I think Finn Mason will be exceptional this season. After seeing his performance against Princeton in Week 12, I think if he physically gets a little bigger he’ll be great. Joel Drake was another guy who got some reps on varsity and is the natural predecessor to Powell. The safety core will be just fine.
As for corner, that’s where some questions arise. The JV corners weren’t bad and I could definitely see them being the starters. You’ll also definitely get some transfers at the DB position.
Does every gap on the team have to be filled with transfers? Haha. I’m excited for Finn Mason. Sitting behind Ben Minich and Malik Hartford as an underclassmen is pretty damn big.

Does every gap on the team have to be filled with transfers? Haha. I’m excited for Finn Mason. Sitting behind Ben Minich and Malik Hartford as an underclassmen is pretty damn big.
That's been the pattern since Bolden got there. And it's what many teams around the state are doing.

It's disappointing to not see any development of guys in programs anymore.

That's been the pattern since Bolden got there. And it's what many teams around the state are doing.

It's disappointing to not see any development of guys in programs anymore.
Besides Jyaire Brown. What other Lakota West “Superstar” has been a transfer?

Not to the point where you can say guys are no longer getting developed. Especially when the team's premier players have been home-grown talent.
The transfer situation is bad. Those kids who came up through the program are getting abandoned by Bolden the second he gets his hands on a better player. But it’s not as bad as some portray it to be. The entire team isn’t made up of transfers.