The 2021 StX Football Schedule: Weakest in 30 years

Don't see the need for this conversation generally, much less 3 games into a season, but hey - if it makes you happy - be my guest. As for me, I think I will just enjoy going to the games and celebrating each victory as they come one at a time...
Oh, a one game at a time poster.
I like looking ahead and I see the least entertaining season in 30 years upon us.
To that end I am campaigning VERY HARD for a game against Center Grove on October 1st.
I plead with both schools administrations to make this "Battle for the Best in the Midwest" happen so we fans have some enjoyment this season.
Especially after last year's lockdown no fans in the stands plandemic state championship year.
I don't enjoy the weekly blowouts with second half running clocks....we've had 2 and I see more on the horizon.
I would have been a disgruntled Colerain fan during the Kerry Coombs era........Yay we won 50-0 again!! Yipee!

I w
Oh, a one game at a time poster.
I like looking ahead and I see the least entertaining season in 30 years upon us.
To that end I am campaigning VERY HARD for a game against Center Grove on October 1st.
I plead with both schools administrations to make this "Battle for the Best in the Midwest" happen so we fans have some enjoyment this season.
Especially after last year's lockdown no fans in the stands plandemic state championship year.
I don't enjoy the weekly blowouts with second half running clocks....we've had 2 and I see more on the horizon.
I would have been a disgruntled Colerain fan during the Kerry Coombs era........Yay we won 50-0 again!! Yipee!
Barring injury, I am never unhappy with a game that ends with an X W, an unblemished regular season that includes another GCL title, or a post season that ends in a state championship trophy.

Things to do when the Bombers have a Dolly Madison football schedule (loaded with cupcakes)....

Check on the 26 Bomber grads playing college football in 2021

Cameron Specht WR R-Jr Dayton
Nathan Arthur LB R-Fr Dayton
TJ O’Malley LB Fr. Dayton
Noah Davis TE Gr. Cincinnati
Andrew Homer TE R-Sr Miami of Ohio
Eugene Stallworth CB Jr Princeton
Matt Bockhorst OL Sr Clemson
Sean Clifford QB R-Sr Penn State
Liam Clifford WR Fr Penn State
Michael Whitehouse Fr Navy
Colton Paul CB Sr Ashland
Zac Kurz OL Sr Wofford
Ethan Nurre OL Jr Dartmouth
Bobby Jefferson DE Sr Dartmouth
Chase Wolf QB Jr Wisconsin
Ben (BJ) Ferguson CB Jr Fordham
Thomas Kiessling LB Jr Holy Cross
Jared Kreimer WR Jr Holy Cross
Marshall Lang TE So. Northwestern
Noah Taylor LB Fr. Cornell
Matthew Rueve QB R-Fr Boston College
Gio Albanese DL Fr. Air Force
Matt Devine LB Fr Air Force
Jackson Wassler OL Fr Youngstown State
Gabe DuBois DB Fr. Lafayette
Jalen Patterson WR Fr. Lafayette

Sean Clifford 18 for 33 for 247 yards and 1 TD in Nittany Lions season opening 16-10 win over Wisconsin and Chase Wolf

The Bombers moved up 5 spots to #18 in MaxPreps Super 25 where they will finish top 5 if this list has any legitimacy
The only team currently in the top 25 within a 5 hour bus ride of Cincinnati is Center Grove in Indiana.
The current 25 team breakdown by state is 5 teams from both Texas and California, 3 teams from Florida, 2 from Georgia and 10 states with 1.
StX and Center Grove MUST play this season.
We, the fans, must demand it and make it happen!!
It's the only way we get to see the Bombers tested.
I have my eye on Friday October 1st.
The Bombers are scheduled to play the winless Trinity Shamrocks while Center Grove is to play winless Indianapolis Pike.
It's a no brainer...have Trinity play Pike and X and CG square off.
A chance to win a game should be more appealing than getting curb stomped by X and CG.
MaxPreps just updated the Super 25 and the Bombers are now #16 and Center Grove #10

USA Today has X #16 and Center Grove #12

What if the Bombers could play a team made up of the best players of the 10 teams on the schedule?
This all-star team could prepare for a month with Coverdale as offense coordinator and Specht as defensive coordinator.

Defense
DE: Lakota West Bryan Henderson 6’1” 260lb Buffalo
NG Olentangy Liberty Dylan Graber 6’3” 275lb Ball State
DE: St. Ignatius Peter Chalhoub 6’2” 240lb Baldwin Wallace
OLB: Lakota West Aden Miller 6’0” 210lb
MLB: Eagles Landing Jason Reynolds 6’2” 212lb Dartmouth
OLB: Colerain Levert Jarmon 6’0” 195lb
FS: Lakota West Alex Afari 6’2” 196lb Kentucky
SS: LaSalle JJ Ruffin 6’3” 227lb
CB: Lakota West Jyaire Brown 6’0” 175lb Ohio State
CB: Eagles Landing RJ Johnson 6’3” 185lb Louisville

Offense
RT: Eagles Landing Zechariah Owens 6’7” 350lb 10 D1 offers
RG: Olentangy Liberty: Carter Smith 6’6” 280lb Indiana
C: Trinity Drew Woodruff 6’0” 270lb Morehead St
LG: LaSalle Paul Haywood 6’4” 300lb
LT: Lakota West Tegra Tshabola 6’6” 310lb Ohio State
TE: Moeller Josh Kattus 6’4” 245lb Kentucky
WR: Elder Drew Ramsey 6’1” 200lb MAC offers
WR: Moeller Brandon White 5’8” 160lb
RB: LaSalle GiBran Payne 5’11” 200lb Indiana
RB: St. Ignatius Marty Lenehan 5’9” 185lb
QB: St. Ignatius Joey Pfaff 6’5” 190lb

PK/P: St. Ignatius Zeb Eldridge

This would be an entertaining game.
X 35-32 OT

You X fans really need to see Elder-Ed's game Saturday before you make room in the trophy case for another state trophy. Ed's QB is a dual threat better than Brogan and their lines are very strong both sides.

You X fans really need to see Elder-Ed's game Saturday before you make room in the trophy case for another state trophy. Ed's QB is a dual threat better than Brogan and their lines are very strong both sides.
Why are you worried about what X fans think? Elder is playing Eds right now not X so X will cross that bridge when and if they get to it.

I'm interested to see how good Ed's really is. Not sure if last week's shellacking of Mentor was representative, as they were without two starting O- linemen, their best backup lineman, their QB went out early, and their bigtime D lineman sat the 1st quarter. Plus Mentor does not play defense worth a damn. Not taking away from Ed's, I think they are a top 4-5 team in the state, and have since the beginning of the season, just that the win over Mentor may not be as impressive as the score indicates.

4pm at the Pit on Saturday....I'm there.
I'll be wearing Bomber blue from head to toe so you should be able to spot me.
On most days I'm about 5'4" and 136 pounds
Feel free to come up and say hi or punch me in the pie hole.
I'm good with either.

I've got St. Ignatius at 5-5 with future wins vs Euclid, River Rouge and Moeller and losses to Hoban, Ed's and X

Projected After Week 10
Lakota West 8-2 (Princeton)
Colerain 5-5 (Lakota West, Princeton, Lakota East)
Powell Olentangy 4-6 (Liberty Berlin, Upper Arlington, Hilliard Bradley, Hilliard Davidson)
Mishawaka Penn 2-8 (Elkhart, Marian, South Bend St. Joseph, New Prairie, South Bend Adams)
Moeller 6-4 (St. Ignatius, StX, St. Edward, King) 1 D-5 win (Ironton)
Elder 6-4 (St Ed, St X, Moeller) 3 D-2 wins, 1 D-3 win, 1 no value win
Trinity 5-5 (StX, LSX, St. Mary’s) 1 D-2 win, 1 D-5 win
LaSalle 4-6 (Trinity, Moeller, Cathedral, StX, Elder) 2 D-2 wins, 1 D-3 win
St. Ignatius 5-5 (Hoban, St. Ed, StX) 1 D-2 win, 1 D-3 win
Eagles Landing 3-6 (Trinity Christian, St. Anne Pacelli, StX, Whitefield Academy)
Halftime update games of interest
Lakota West destroying Princeton
Moeller 14-0 on Division 5 Ironton
Colerain 20-6 over Sycamore
LaSalle 13-6 over Trinity
St. Ignatius 28-7 over Euclid

4pm at the Pit on Saturday....I'm there.
I'll be wearing Bomber blue from head to toe so you should be able to spot me.
On most days I'm about 5'4" and 136 pounds
Feel free to come up and say hi or punch me in the pie hole.
I'm good with either.

I'll say hi, and we can talk GCL football. Should be a great game today.

I will take you up on Q v Q...I hope Elder wins today but dont poke the sleeping bear.

What if the Bombers could play a team made up of the best players of the 10 teams on the schedule?
This all-start team could prepare for a month with Coverdale as offense coordinator and Specht as defensive coordinator.

Defense

Offense

X 35-32 OT
That would be lots of fun.....

I'm ok with Center Grove being ranked ahead of X
Look at their starters :oops:

Offense
#2 QB Tayven Jackson (6’4” 190lb) Tennessee commit
#8 RB Dan Weems (5’11” 205lb) offers from Indiana St, EKU, Butler and Dayton
#5 RB Drew Wheat (5’9” 165lb)
#16 RB/WR Earl Ridlen (5’9” 150lb) track star
#47 DE/TE Shane Bennett (6’3” 205lb) Indiana State commit
#10 WR Harrison Stomps (6’4” 205lb) offer from Wheaton
#1 CB/WR Kalen Carroll (6’1” 175lb) Cincinnati commit
#58 OL Jordan Cox (6’0” 285lb) Wabash offer
#68 OL Jake Newlin (6’3” 280lb) Valpo offer
#79 OL Sam Buras (6’7” 315lb) Ball State commit
#77 OL Austin Wiese (6’3” 285lb)
Defense
#91 DE Caden Curry (6’5” 250lb) final 5: Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Oregon and Indiana
#32 DE James Schott (6’4” 220lb) Miami (OH) commit
#99 DT Carl Biddings (6’2” 285lb) Louisville offer
#76 NG Tommy Claiborne (6’5” 275lb) MAC offers
#97 DL Owen Green (6’2” 270lb) offer from Butler
#93 DT Isaac Chandler (6’1” 245) Heidelberg
#33 LB Elijah Matheson (5’11” 195lb)
#37 LB Trei Specker (6’4” 215lb)
#3 S Jackson Griffin (5’11” 180lb) Butler commit
#20 S Mitch Evans (6’0” 190lb) never leaves the field RB, S and kick returner; Indiana commit (baseball)
#30 DB/WR Jalen Thomeson (5’10” 175lb) transfer from Mt Vernon
#21 CB Gavin Oakes (5’10” 160lb)
#24 CB Ethan Watt (5’11’ 180lb)

Nearly a dozen D1 players.
The trenches are huge and talented.
Heck in their defensive line rotation they have 6 future college players
Bring em on!
Anybody else noticed that as Indiana University Basketball has gradually become less and less competitive, Indiana HS football has moved to a different (HIGHER) level of competitiveness? Who would have imagined that a top-ranked Ohio Division I team (and, according to ReLoad, one of St. X's best teams ever) would EVER not be favored against the top team from Indiana? One wonders if (along with Indiana's state population growing a little closer as a percentage Ohio's-- OH has had ~5 million more people for a ~100 years-- but in 1960, that used to be 9.5 Million to 4.5 Million-- now it is ~11.8 Million to ~6.8 Million-- so not more than double any more) more of the best athletes in Indiana high schools are choosing to pursue football now, than perhaps once did, when basketball was "Indiana's game"...?

This all-start team could prepare for a month with Coverdale as offense coordinator and Specht as defensive coordinator.

Defense

Offense

X 35-32 OT
I tend to doubt that "Joey Pfaff" is the best QB on any roster that X will face this year-- I'd bet that Drew Ramsay (if he plays QB) is better-- and probably so is Elder's regular QB (Hambleton)... there are probably some others too-- Pfaff is serviceable, but hardly the best of those 10 teams...

Last edited:
I can't speak for ReLoad, but I'd bet that most St. X football fans (that are paying attention to other teams) know about Ed already, and know that Ed is the biggest threat to X repeating-- and that's if X gets to a state title game. I'm not assuming that X is better than Ed, and I don't think the other knowledgable X fans are either.

Last edited:
I've got St. Ignatius at 5-5 with future wins vs Euclid, River Rouge and Moeller and losses to Hoban, Ed's and X

Projected After Week 10
Lakota West 8-2 (Princeton)

Colerain 5-5 (Lakota West, Princeton, Lakota East)
Powell Olentangy 4-6 (Liberty Berlin, Upper Arlington, Hilliard Bradley, Hilliard Davidson)
Mishawaka Penn 2-8 (Elkhart, Marian, South Bend St. Joseph, New Prairie, South Bend Adams)
Moeller 6-4 (St. Ignatius, StX, St. Edward, King) 1 D-5 win (Ironton)
Elder 6-4 (St Ed, St X, Moeller) 3 D-2 wins, 1 D-3 win, 1 no value win
Trinity 5-5 (StX, LSX, St. Mary’s) 1 D-2 win, 1 D-5 win
LaSalle 4-6 (Trinity, Moeller, Cathedral, StX, Elder) 2 D-2 wins, 1 D-3 win
St. Ignatius 5-5 (Hoban, St. Ed, StX) 1 D-2 win, 1 D-3 win
Eagles Landing 3-6 (Trinity Christian, St. Anne Pacelli, StX, Whitefield Academy)
Hard to believe that you had LW losing to Princeton, ReLoad-- that result last night was as predictable as the sun rising this morning.

And your slam of Oak Hills (when you predicted that the only win between OH and Middletown would come in their head-to-head matchup) also is starting to look dubious-- OH gave LW a better game than Princeton did-- and I'd bet OH finds another win in the GMC somewhere along the way-- I wouldn't even put it past OH to beat Colerain this week... but more likely Hamilton, Sycamore, or one of the other rummies in the league (besides Middletown).

St X looks really good this season.

The Bombers coming to Strongsville is going to be ugly. Then again, Specht has had Kyle's number for years.

St X looks really good this season.

The Bombers coming to Strongsville is going to be ugly. Then again, Specht has had Kyle's number for years.
I believe you continue to underestimate your own team-- I hope you are correct-- but I expect a very good game in Strongsville-- even if I agree with you that X should win. At this point, just not having a running clock for the second half will be a step up in competition for X-- something I expect both Elder and Ig to provide.

I believe you continue to underestimate your own team-- I hope you are correct-- but I expect a very good game in Strongsville-- even if I agree with you that X should win. At this point, just not having a running clock for the second half will be a step up in competition for X-- something I expect both Elder and Ig to provide.
Elder is getting thrashed by St Eds.

Elder is getting thrashed by St Eds.
Elder could play X with three choir boys, two wheelchair athletes, and their grandma in the lineup-- and they'd find a way to be competitive with X-- they might not win, but they will fight till their arms fall off... kind of like the Ig/Ed matchups.

In essentially 2.5 games of football…
Brogan McCaughey: 49 for 65 (75%) for 739 yards with 10 TDs and 0 INTs
Terrell McFarlin: 15 catches for 295 yards (19.7 yards per catch) and 4 TDs

In essentially 2.5 games of football…
Brogan McCaughey: 49 for 65 (75%) for 739 yards with 10 TDs and 0 INTs
Terrell McFarlin: 15 catches for 295 yards (19.7 yards per catch) and 4 TDs
I especially like that last stat for B McC-- I can only really think of one ball this year, where it looked like he threw it up for grabs, and it should/could have been intercepted (down the middle in the end zone, against OL, I think)-- but the rest of the time, when he rolls out or scrambles, and he doesn't see somebody wide open, he throws it out of bounds like an NFL QB (or runs out of bounds for positive yards)-- his decision-making is so much better than last year-- he's almost a completely different QB, in some ways, this year.

The much respected and scientific Yappi.com poll has voted the St. Xavier Bombers out of the #1 spot replaced with the St. Edward Eagles out of Lakewood, Ohio.

1 St Edward (Lakewood) (4-0) (283) [8]
2 St Xavier (Cincinnati) (4-0) (276) [20]
3 Medina (Medina) (4-0) (175)
4 Springfield (Springfield) (3-0) (161) [2]
5 Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) (4-0) (154) [1]
6 Pickerington Central (Pickerington) (3-1) (117)
7 Lakota West (West Chester) (3-1) (112)
8 Upper Arlington (Upper Arlington) (4-0) (101)
9 Marysville (Marysville) (3-0) (62)
10 St Ignatius (Cleveland) (2-2) (52) [1]

The much respected and scientific Yappi.com poll has voted the St. Xavier Bombers out of the #1 spot replaced with the St. Edward Eagles out of Lakewood, Ohio.

1 St Edward (Lakewood) (4-0) (283) [8]
2 St Xavier (Cincinnati) (4-0) (276) [20]
3 Medina (Medina) (4-0) (175)
4 Springfield (Springfield) (3-0) (161) [2]
5 Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) (4-0) (154) [1]
6 Pickerington Central (Pickerington) (3-1) (117)
7 Lakota West (West Chester) (3-1) (112)
8 Upper Arlington (Upper Arlington) (4-0) (101)
9 Marysville (Marysville) (3-0) (62)
10 St Ignatius (Cleveland) (2-2) (52) [1]
I can't quibble much with the top two-- it's so hard to know (yet) what to think about the relative merits of those two-- but, we WILL get a read soon, with them having 3 opponents (Elder, Moeller, Ig) in common...

I do have some issues with Medina at #3, Moeller at #5, UA at #8, and Marysville at #9-- other than Moeller, those other three may be justified-- but I'd like to know whom they have played so far- who are the best teams that each of them has beaten?