St. Xavier Football 2024

Looks like a solid opportunity for some exposure and to be seen by college coaches. I sure hope St. X is supplying coffee, etc. for that 6 a.m. start time on Thursday morning.
Doubt if the known quantities who haven't committed (Clapper, Sulfsted and DVollmer) will participate.
Great opportunity for the younger players, late bloomers, guys coming off injury like Strayhorn etc
Will be interesting to see if anyone lands their first offer(s) as a result of this event

How was St. X Combine today? How many coaches/recruiters in attendance? Sounds like these combines are now commonplace around Cincy. Can't complain about kids getting an opportunity to showcase themselves.

How was St. X Combine today? How many coaches/recruiters in attendance? Sounds like these combines are now commonplace around Cincy. Can't complain about kids getting an opportunity to showcase themselves.
I actually watched 10 minutes of it today around 6:20 after dropping off my son for soccer conditioning. Don't know how many of the adults on the field were St. X coaches vs. college coaches, but I would guess there were 30 - 40 adults standing on the field. Saw several Illinois license plates and an Otterbein van. Apparently all the GCL-S teams are doing one today - X at 6, Elder at 8, etc...

It sounds like a couple of the other leagues in town are doing the same thing. I think the MVC did this at CHCA the day before

Doubt if the known quantities who haven't committed (Clapper, Sulfsted and DVollmer) will participate.
Great opportunity for the younger players, late bloomers, guys coming off injury like Strayhorn etc
Will be interesting to see if anyone lands their first offer(s) as a result of this event
If reports Im getting are true then I was off as am told Clapper participated, the Bucks were in the house and offered

Sources are telling me there is a newcomer in the Bomber football program, Dallas Hankerson. TBD what position but I am hearing potentially receiver or D-line. I was told he was in contact with Toldeo and Georgetown during the GCL scouting combine yesterday morning. Does anyone have any insight? I am not familiar with his game as he did not play as a frosh. Roll Bombers.
Shifty Hankerson?

Sources are telling me there is a newcomer in the Bomber football program, Dallas Hankerson. TBD what position but I am hearing potentially receiver or D-line. I was told he was in contact with Toldeo and Georgetown during the GCL scouting combine yesterday morning. Does anyone have any insight? I am not familiar with his game as he did not play as a frosh. Roll Bombers.
Watched the WCPO video. Don’t think he’ll help your bowling team.

Good comparison. High expectations for 2024 if that is the comparison. DL/LB from 2005 had so much talent.... not sure about 2024 outside of Clapper & Sulfsted.

When comparing the 2 teams I find the QB position interesting as we head into the preseason without Coverdale

The 2005 Bomber QB Brad Scherer (5’11” 185lb) was just a 1 year varsity starter never seeing the field as a junior
75% of the time he was handing off to one of the talented RBs (Darius Ashley, Chris Cionni, Jimmy Hobson and Luca Romeo)
The WRs were marginal and he completed just 45% of his passes throwing for just 70 yards per game
In 15 games, he only threw 3 INTs along with 10 TDs and the offense only turned the ball over 12 times (they were +23 in takeaways)
He threw the ball away often when no one was open letting punter Danny Milligan pin the opponent or flip the field
His instructions were simple…..manage the rush heavy offense, don’t turn the ball over and let your punter and stellar defense do the rest
He went to Miami and played baseball, then to medical school and practices medicine today

The first state championship Bomber team finished 15-0 and outscored their opponents 425 to 95 (28-6 average score per game)

This season's sophomores.....starters last season on the frosh white team......can any crack the starting lineup?

2023 Bomber Freshmen Defense
DLine: #79 Justin Uhl - #59 Aidan O'Toole - #3 Josh Fasbender (6’3” 210lb)
LBs: #43 Nick Klee (6’1” 200lb) - #8 Kane Shawger (district qualifying wrestler) - #77 Bryan Yaecker (6’0 205lb)
Safeties: #18 Jack Charlton - #5 Henry Harmon - #21 Elijah Herms
CBs: #27 Jack Meyer - #15 Chase Schinaman - #38 Matt Szabo

2023 Bomber Freshmen Offense
QBs #6 Charlie Johnston (5’10” 160lb) #4 Thomas George #7 Cam Kline
RBs #31 Colton Castner #22 Max Violet #39 Charles Ruehl (6’1” 160lb)
WRs #24 Anthony DiBattista, #17 Alex Walker (6’0” 165lb), #37 Logan Van Holle (6’2” 180lb) #81 Brayden Breitenbach
TEs #85 Wilson Tiefenbach (6’2” 205lb) #89 Garrit Gunter (6’7” 210lb)
OLine: #88 Jacob Uhl - #65 Aiden Lowe - #75 Matt Fessel (6’4” 250lb) - #61 Isiah Baker - #60 Porter Little

Heard yesterday that Coverdale will not be back for next season. He has either taken a job with Louisville or moving back to Louisville. Not sure if this is 100 percent accurate. Has anyone else heard this news?

Who are some candidates to have a breakout season for the Bombers this season?
What sophomores have potential to see Friday night light time this season? St. X had a lot of sophomores see considerable action on varsity last season. Also, what other juniors could be first year varsity starters and contribute in 2024?

What sophomores have potential to see Friday night light time this season? St. X had a lot of sophomores see considerable action on varsity last season. Also, what other juniors could be first year varsity starters and contribute in 2024?
Without knowing much about the current freshmen class I would say it will be tough to get on the field simply based on the talent of the current sophomores and juniors . Maybe an Offensive Linemen or a TE as those two spots seem to be on the lighter side ( depth wise ) from what I hear.

The juniors to be who could be first year varsity contributors : Betz, McDonald, Carter, Sweeney, Schmidt.... could be more but that's what I remember who stood out on JV last year. It's crazy to think how many sophomores saw significant varsity playing time last year. This team is loaded with talent.

Without knowing much about the current freshmen class I would say it will be tough to get on the field simply based on the talent of the current sophomores and juniors . Maybe an Offensive Linemen or a TE as those two spots seem to be on the lighter side ( depth wise ) from what I hear.

The juniors to be who could be first year varsity contributors : Betz, McDonald, Carter, Sweeney, Schmidt.... could be more but that's what I remember who stood out on JV last year. It's crazy to think how many sophomores saw significant varsity playing time last year. This team is loaded with talent.

Playing varsity at St. X as a 9th Grader would be a tough ask. Who's on that small list, if there is a list?

Reder, M. Vollmer, Brady, and Bareswilt played well in the JV the games I watched as sophomores. Hopefully, the sophomore class has been in the weight room and some bodies have changed because they look to have some talent.

Who are some candidates to have a breakout season for the Bombers this season?
OL- Hester and Carter, both with decent size, and should have bulked a bit over the off season

WR - Taylor and Shamsi showed flashes, and tough to judge the varsity WR play last year with the terrible QB situation

DB's- Reilly is the easy pick, had a massively impressive season last year, has good size, speed, and ball skills. If Strayhorn can stay on the field, he can be one of the best in the area.

The one I am incredibly excited to see hopefully FT is Britt at RB. He was the most explosive player on the field last year IMHO. In the right system, he could put up some eye-popping numbers.

What sophomores have potential to see Friday night light time this season?
There are 7 Sophomores that would start on any other GCL-S team but will have to bust tail to get some PT at X
TE Gunter (6'7" 220lb), TE Tiefenbach (6'2" 210lb), WR Von Holle (6'2" 180lb), WR Walker (6'1" 170lb), OL Fessel (6'4" 250lb), DE Fasbender (6'3" 220lb) and LB Klee (6'1" 205lb).
The TE's have the best shot given the upper classes deficiencies

The one I am incredibly excited to see hopefully FT is Britt at RB. He was the most explosive player on the field last year IMHO. In the right system, he could put up some eye-popping numbers.
Coverdale left a 5 point offensive philosophy that Specht adopted.
Point 4 is: "Feed the Studs"
Specht will feed Britt and DVollmer til they puke.
10 game season projection
Britt: 1,300 yards rushing
DVollmer 900 yards rushing, 150 yards receiving, 250 yards passing and 800 yards kick returns

There are 7 Sophomores that would start on any other GCL-S team but will have to bust tail to get some PT at X
TE Gunter (6'7" 220lb), TE Tiefenbach (6'2" 210lb), WR Von Holle (6'2" 180lb), WR Walker (6'1" 170lb), OL Fessel (6'4" 250lb), DE Fasbender (6'3" 220lb) and LB Klee (6'1" 205lb).
The TE's have the best shot given the upper classes deficiencies
I would assume this is a "tongue in cheek" remark but I am not looking to start an argument. There is another GCL-S team that has some talented tight ends as well. Perhaps I could enlighten you if given the permission to do so. :) GBM 💪🏈

Coverdale left a 5 point offensive philosophy that Specht adopted.
Point 3 is: "Feed the Studs"
Specht will feed Britt and DVollmer til they puke.
10 game season projection
Britt: 1,300 yards rushing
DVollmer 900 yards rushing, 150 yards receiving, 250 yards passing and 800 yards kick returns
That means Vollmer isn't at QB, so who you see starting at QB this upcoming season? After watching McDonald in a few games last season on JV, he is intriguing. Looked like an athlete with a good/accurate arm, can run, and played with a lil chip on shoulder.

OL- Hester and Carter, both with decent size, and should have bulked a bit over the off season

WR - Taylor and Shamsi showed flashes, and tough to judge the varsity WR play last year with the terrible QB situation

DB's- Reilly is the easy pick, had a massively impressive season last year, has good size, speed, and ball skills. If Strayhorn can stay on the field, he can be one of the best in the area.

I agree, Britt is a hell of a player. You heard it here first, Britt will go down as the Bombers' all-time leading rusher when his career is over.

Last edited:
I would assume this is a "tongue in cheek" remark but I am not looking to start an argument. There is another GCL-S team that has some talented tight ends as well. Perhaps I could enlighten you if given the permission to do so. :) GBM 💪🏈
You rarely disappoint

I agree, Britt is a hell of a player. You heard it here first, Britt will go down as the Bombers' all-time leading rusher when his career is over.
1. Darius Ashley 4,668 yards
2. Steve Sollman 3,866
3. Conor Hundley 3,697
4. Tom Fogarty 2,478
5. Brian Fitzgerald 2,387
6. Scott Sollman 2,318
7. Charles Kellom 2,317
8. Ben Glines 2,235
9. Luke Linz 2,011

Jake Britt 769

Needs a couple 2,000 yard seasons to eclipse DA

That means Vollmer isn't at QB, so who you see starting at QB this upcoming season? After watching McDonald in a few games last season on JV, he is intriguing. Looked like an athlete with a good/accurate arm, can run, and played with a lil chip on shoulder.
If you have a 4 sided coin put Herbstreit, DVollmer, McDonald, Soloria on a side and flip it.
Do the Bombers just need a Brad Scherer to manage the offense?
His numbers for a 15 game season in 2005 77/168 (45%) for 1,040 yards 10 TDs and 3 INTs, 556 yards rushing with minimal false starts and procedure penalties, +23 takeaways